Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382 ... 735  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:15 pm 

Another day, another leak.

So, which National MP is the original leaker then, I wonder (if everything is as it purports to be)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:33 pm 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Another day, another leak.

So, which National MP is the original leaker then, I wonder (if everything is as it purports to be)

Plot Twist: Bridges was the leaker. Enraged that he couldn't boast about his limo rides, Plastic Face got a burner phone and leaked the details.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:36 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
I see that Douglas Murray is slipping in the country this weekend for a talk at the aotea Centre. Is Phil Goff aware of his views on Islam and immigration, or does his nice accent give him the pass?

No just wait til Patrick Gower stops him mid "rant"

Good old Patty G, face like a dropped pie and the charisma to match :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 pm 

These last few posts seem like our feeble attempt to kick start our politics thread but really we can't match the Australians in this one. Our little semi scandals are nothing compared to Oz leadership wars.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:36 am 

UncleFB wrote:
These last few posts seem like our feeble attempt to kick start our politics thread but really we can't match the Australians in this one. Our little semi scandals are nothing compared to Oz leadership wars.

Australia trying to go full Amurika, fuk yea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:10 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

Keep the discourse NZ related thanx.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 am 

maxbox wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

Keep the discourse NZ related thanx.

Don't tell me how to live my life - Saffa! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:57 am 

Mallard has called off the inquiry.

Correct call. Whoever it is has self-declared health issues that would not be served by hauling him/her into public.

The caucus discipline process can deal with it and that person gets the proper support required.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:12 am 

Auckman wrote:
Mallard has called off the inquiry.

Correct call. Whoever it is has self-declared health issues that would not be served by hauling him/her into public.

The caucus discipline process can deal with it and that person gets the proper support required.

How will that happen if, as Bridges seems to be indicating, Police have refused to tell him who it was?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:52 am 

I wonder how much truth there is the the mental health issues. Pretty effective blackmail in the modern age.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:49 am 

Clare Curran is gooone from Cabinet after a nasty self-inflicted injury in failing to record a meeting for the second time.

It's poor timing for Labour with this now the leading news rather than the travel leak having come from National.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:59 am 

JB1981 wrote:
Clare Curran is gooone from Cabinet after a nasty self-inflicted injury in failing to record a meeting for the second time.

It's poor timing for Labour with this now the leading news rather than the travel leak having come from National.

Christ what a muppet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:07 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

Christ what a muppet.

The PM gave her a chance before pulling the trigger.

She made the right call.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 am 

UncleFB wrote:

Regardless of which side of the political spectrum you sit a glance at the shambles across the Tasman makes you appreciate the political stability we've enjoyed for the past nearly 20 years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 am 

So there's this
Quote:
Bridges and Mallard have both expressed concern for the mental health of the leaker who sent a text message last week to both and to a media outlet asking them not to pursue the inquiry because of the impact it would have on their mental health.

Then Mallard follows up with
Quote:
Mallard today ruled it was a National Party matter and therefore not something Parliament needed to be involved in.

"The existence of, and part of the detail of, a text both the Leader of the Opposition and I received last week has been reported on. It has now been confirmed to me that the person who leaked the details of the expenses and the texter are the same person.

"He or she has details of events that it is unlikely anyone outside the National Party would be privy to.

"The text is from someone who is clearly very disturbed and today's publicity will almost certainly make that worse. My priority is to get appropriate support to them whether they are an MP or a staff member."

Bridges though seems along with Brownlee (who probably just wants their lunch tickets) to want to push the, over the edge.
Quote:
Bridges told a media conference this morning he wanted the investigation continued.

Police had identified the person who sent the text message but would not reveal who it was.

"The text made clear to me that it was from the leaker ... [and that] the leaker was in the National caucus," Bridges said.

"It also made quite clear that this person had a long and serious mental health issue. It was my very clear view there would be significant harm to them if the investigation proceeded. It was a dark and concerning text message.

"I was very worried about it. I spoke to senior colleagues and then replied, saying my utmost concern was for the welfare of the person. Later that day I received expert advice on how to proceed. On Friday I informed the police with my clear concern being for the mental health and wellbeing of the individual.

So his utmost concern is for their welfare, he states that "It was my very clear view there would be significant harm to them if the investigation proceeded" and then complains that the investigation isn't going to continue? What the actual fuck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am 

This Clare Curran thing seems like a massive storm in a teacup to me.

I don't know too many people that would give a shit about whether or not Curran recorded a meeting in her diary. There's no hint of corruption here, so who really cares? It's immaterial really.

Unless it's a clever piece of distraction by Labour, it seems to me that Jacinda is trying hard to appear to be squeaky clean and transparent. It'd be good to see a more moderated, pragmatic approach otherwise she's going to have a helluva time near the end of this term when the govt will come under more attack.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:46 am 

She gave Curren a right roasting after that debacle with the RNZ woman. Doing the same thing again was clearly going to be a firing offence. I mean, that's only 4 months ago isn't it?

Clearly not an overreaction. Curren either incredibly naive or incredibly stupid to do this.

Though I'm sure this will somehow be a display of lack of leadership from the PM.

---

Bets on how long before the leaking National MP/staffer's name gets leaked?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
She gave Curren a right roasting after that debacle with the RNZ woman. Doing the same thing again was clearly going to be a firing offence. I mean, that's only 4 months ago isn't it?

Clearly not an overreaction. Curren either incredibly naive or incredibly stupid to do this.

Though I'm sure this will somehow be a display of lack of leadership from the PM.

---

Interesting. Over at TDB, Martyn Bradbury offered this recently on his thread on the leak:

Quote:
UPDATE: It is NOT an MP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:

The person has to be a staffer surely. The whole incident isn't like National who usually run a tight ship. Mind you, they're in opposition now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 am 

Perhaps Curran being the Minister for Open Government was the main driver for her position becoming untenable.

So does this also mean Phil Twyford will get the flick with one more transgression? That illegal phone call on a plane was pretty embarrassing for the minister responsible for the CAA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 am 

Tehui wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

The person has to be a staffer surely. The whole incident isn't like National who usually run a tight ship. Mind you, they're in opposition now.

Soz.

Last edited by kiweez on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:55 am 

deadduck wrote:
Perhaps Curran being the Minister for Open Government was the main driver for her position becoming untenable.

So does this also mean Phil Twyford will get the flick with one more transgression? That illegal phone call on a plane was pretty embarrassing for the minister responsible for the CAA

TBF, he did hand over his portfolio responsibilities while it was investigated.

And shit...I fly heaps. Damn near everyone in the front 5 rows has their phone on after the door is closed. Unless you’re about to take off, even the Air NZ staff don’t give a flying F...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:58 am 

deadduck wrote:

I don't know too many people that would give a shit about whether or not Curran recorded a meeting in her diary. There's no hint of corruption here, so who really cares? It's immaterial really.

Unless it's a clever piece of distraction by Labour, it seems to me that Jacinda is trying hard to appear to be squeaky clean and transparent. It'd be good to see a more moderated, pragmatic approach otherwise she's going to have a helluva time near the end of this term when the govt will come under more attack.

Not recording the meetings has meant that she has answered written Parliamentary questions incorrectly twice. It's not corruption but I think that consequence moves it above immaterial. This happening while she had responsibilities for Open Government is a humorous irony.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:06 am 

JB1981 wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Not recording the meetings has meant that she has answered written Parliamentary questions incorrectly twice. It's not corruption but I think that consequence moves it above immaterial. This happening while she had responsibilities for Open Government is a humorous irony.

The meeting was about a sensitive matter too, the appointment of a person to a role paying a sweet $600k. It was RNZ all over again and Curran has to go for either being f**king incompetent or deliberately holding back information. She was minister of open govt, which makes it a million times worse.

Ardern was too light. Strip all her portfolios. She can’t be trusted and has proven as much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 pm 

More industrial action on the horizon .....

Steve Hansen referring to his post-Bledisloe conversation with the PM and Minister of Sport wrote:
I said to her … well to Grant Robertson actually, they should be our biggest sponsors, because we're their biggest brand, and could she find some money to help us compete against the likes of England and France so we can keep our players.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:06 pm 

Time for the 180 discussion on politicization of the ABs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:12 pm 
I thought Arden restrained , primarily there politically for woman’s rugby I thought she looked good and relaxed. Just there enjoying the game rather than trying to gather up the reflective glory.

Our first openly gay sports minister is a rugby fanatic .

Interesting times.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:15 pm 

eugenius wrote:
I thought Arden restrained , primarily there politically for woman’s rugby I thought she looked good and relaxed. Just there enjoying the game rather than trying to gather up the reflective glory.

Interesting times.

Ardern. I agree, they both did well. Clearly she was enjoying the experience unlike poor Helen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:20 pm 
Ardern .

Granted Helen struggled, did some good work getting the 2011 RWC however.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:22 pm 

eugenius wrote:
Ardern .

Granted Helen struggled, did some good work getting the 2011 RWC however.

She did, but it’s rough on people who don’t like the game to be forced by politics to attend. Plus it is a WOAT.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:28 pm 
The wha what ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:37 pm 

eugenius wrote:
The wha what ?

Waste Of A Ticket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:50 pm 
Absolutely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:55 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
Time for the 180 discussion on politicization of the ABs?

I think most people will probably have the same opinion they had when Key did it. I.e. who gives a shite.

A vocal minority will twist and turn taking the anything my side does is fine approach. Even if it was evil incarnate when the other side did it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:55 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
eugenius wrote:

Interesting times.

Ardern. I agree, they both did well. Clearly she was enjoying the experience unlike poor Helen.

Failed on the three way handshake front though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:59 pm 
To be fair to the woman , it takes a sycophant of genius to pull that particular manoeuvre off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:20 pm 

eugenius wrote:
To be fair to the woman , it takes a sycophant of genius to pull that particular manoeuvre off.

Outside of forming Government, the three way handshake is extremely rare.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:24 pm 
Few can afford the skills .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:28 pm 

Aunty Helen was a big league fan apparently. Mt Albert is her club. The true working class game and all that.

Maybe rugby is too Nat-farmer for her. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:40 pm 
True - that and she probably never quite got pass 81.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382 ... 735  Next