Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 740  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:32 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
So, we're not doubling our refugee quota it would seem as Winnie is a against it. Even though we've invested 14 million in expanding the infrastructure? It that what I caught a glimpse of on the new this evening?

But we're probably going to make evil landlords put heating into bedrooms. Which tenants can then leave turned off so they don't get a big power bill.

It is hilarious how landlords are now expected to foot the bill to make every single rental house a perfectly warm, dry, insulated haven yet I'm sure many owner occupiers live in much more squalid conditions.

I owned a house in Auckland that I lived in for 8 years and coped just fine. Since moving out and renting the place I've:

- installed underfloor insulation
- doubled the ceiling insulation
- installed a domestic ventilation system
- installed a heat pump
- purchased a dehumidifier for the optional use by the tenants

In other words it's now far better than what I coped with for 8 years as an owner occupier but apparently it's still not good enough according to this Labour Govt. In addition I'm expected to just accept pets and allow longer tenancies without rental increases and all the rights transferred to the tenant vs the owner.

Ok :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 am 

Tehui wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Clare Curran. Jesus Christ has there been a more incompetent Minister? Ever?

Just....um..er...ah...what I mean...um...OIA....

You paraphrased it well ....

Quote:
To the best of my recollection, um, ah, ah, I haven't, um, I haven't used my, um I've answered um OIA, ah, ah, OIA responses and personal, um and parliamentary questions correctly and to the best of my recollection, um, ah, you know, that, that has, that's what I've done.

Any confidence she had in herself must be well and truly gone.

That was absolutely painful to watch.

I genuinely felt sorry for her.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 am 

kiweez wrote:
Tehui wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Clare Curran. Jesus Christ has there been a more incompetent Minister? Ever?

Just....um..er...ah...what I mean...um...OIA....

You paraphrased it well ....

Quote:
To the best of my recollection, um, ah, ah, I haven't, um, I haven't used my, um I've answered um OIA, ah, ah, OIA responses and personal, um and parliamentary questions correctly and to the best of my recollection, um, ah, you know, that, that has, that's what I've done.

Any confidence she had in herself must be well and truly gone.

That was absolutely painful to watch.

I genuinely felt sorry for her.

:lol: What a train wreck. The Labour speaker Trevor Mallard did his best to bail her out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:55 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
So, Lizzie Marvelly huh.

I suspect she might end up quite famous. She is stupid on a sort of galactic scale, and that's probably enough for fame outside New Zealand.

I like reading her twitter feed. https://twitter.com/LizzieMarvelly.

And this is pretty cool: https://tendaily.com.au/views/a180903af ... r-20180903

She put on a frock and some make up and gave a dinner show for me and my friends for my 50th birthday weekend.

Fancies herself as a bit of a cabaret star does our Lizzie. Cleans up fairly well too it must be said.

True story

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:38 am 

Curran needs to go. It was if she was battling with two voices in her head today. "I think I did, no I didn't, shit I don't actually know but I can't mislead parliament, no yes no yes good lord I wish the PM had fired me".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:41 pm 

Auckman wrote:
Curran needs to go. It was if she was battling with two voices in her head today. "I think I did, no I didn't, shit I don't actually know but I can't mislead parliament, no yes no yes good lord I wish the PM had fired me".

:lol: so true

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Auckman wrote:

Just watched that. She looks unwell actually. That aside she's in a completely impossible situation - Minister for Open Government has at least two off-the-books meetings with people, then uses a gmail account to hide info from the OIA. Not sure how on earth she can survive, and I guess Jacina's keeping her on out of concern for her wellbeing?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 am 

She lost open govt, just minister of broadcasting or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:01 am 

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
So, we're not doubling our refugee quota it would seem as Winnie is a against it. Even though we've invested 14 million in expanding the infrastructure? It that what I caught a glimpse of on the new this evening?

But we're probably going to make evil landlords put heating into bedrooms. Which tenants can then leave turned off so they don't get a big power bill.

It is hilarious how landlords are now expected to foot the bill to make every single rental house a perfectly warm, dry, insulated haven yet I'm sure many owner occupiers live in much more squalid conditions.

I owned a house in Auckland that I lived in for 8 years and coped just fine. Since moving out and renting the place I've:

- installed a heat pump

In other words it's now far better than what I coped with for 8 years as an owner occupier but apparently it's still not good enough according to this Labour Govt. In addition I'm expected to just accept pets and allow longer tenancies without rental increases and all the rights transferred to the tenant vs the owner.

We had a tenant complaining about condensation in the bathroom. Turns out they had disabled the switch for the extractor and heat lamps so that their kids wouldn't use any power.

The also decided not to use the log burner (no idea why. We'd actually given them some free firewood, but apperently they didn't know how to use an axe to split it), and instead used an unflued gas heater in the house filling it up with moisture and ruining some of our curtains, but of course that wasn't their fault and we spent a small fortune rectifying it.

Some people just don't have a clue. I'm just grateful they didn't end up gassing themselves and their kids.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

- installed a heat pump

We had a tenant complaining about condensation in the bathroom. Turns out they had disabled the switch for the extractor and heat lamps so that their kids wouldn't use any power.

The also decided not to use the log burner (no idea why. We'd actually given them some free firewood, but apperently they didn't know how to use an axe to split it), and instead used an unflued gas heater in the house filling it up with moisture and ruining some of our curtains, but of course that wasn't their fault and we spent a small fortune rectifying it.

Some people just don't have a clue. I'm just grateful they didn't end up gassing themselves and their kids.

Oh man that sucks. I've been pretty lucky with tenants to date. They've all been pretty good so far and I have no complaints about any of them. I've tried to be a good landlord spending money whenever needed and I've also been proactive in trying to meet the current and future legal requirements with regards to insulation, heating, ventilation etc. This stuff isn't compulsory until 1 July 2019 but I've been making all these improvements during the last 5 years long before it becomes compulsory.

But no matter what you do it seems it won't be good enough for this govt. Especially if the Greens have any say in it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:32 am 

#alltenantsareevil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:04 am 

guy smiley wrote:
#alltenantsareevil

:lol: Obviously reading comprehension isn't a strength of yours.

What part of ...

Quote:
I've been pretty lucky with tenants to date. They've all been pretty good so far and I have no complaints about any of them.

... didn't you understand?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 am 

Now that I know I've got you so triggered you've read all of my posts to review my attitude I'm just f**king with you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:07 am 

guy smiley wrote:
#alltenantsareevil

Nah. House sitters on the other hand...

;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:14 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
#alltenantsareevil

Nah. House sitters on the other hand...

;)

:lol:

Do you want another pic of the view?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:20 am 

I wouldn't want to feel sorry for you!

(Or is that me...)

;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 am 

Geez if I had landlords like you lot I'd be tempted to burn the place to the ground just to spite you

Of course I'd make it look like an accident, maybe some dodgy wiring in the bathroom extractor fan, or the installed bedroom heater that was subject to product recall 2 years ago

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:35 am 

Ardern flopping on the refugee quota under pressure from Winston.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... marks.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 am 

Santa wrote:
Ardern flopping on the refugee quota under pressure from Winston.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... marks.html

It seems remarkably obvious they forgot to put it in their coalition agreement or maybe even bring it up

Could be worse.

They could have wasted 14 million expanding refugee facilities to cater for 1500......oh. They did

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Auckman wrote:

Just watched that. She looks unwell actually.

Yep. Stress of the job and in the public eye. She only has herself to blame though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Now that I know I've got you so triggered you've read all of my posts to review my attitude I'm just f**king with you.

Of course. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 am 

deadduck wrote:
Geez if I had landlords like you lot I'd be tempted to burn the place to the ground just to spite you

Of course I'd make it look like an accident, maybe some dodgy wiring in the bathroom extractor fan, or the installed bedroom heater that was subject to product recall 2 years ago

FOG has a good point though. These Labour/Green loons will insist we instal heaters in every bedroom but a lot of people won't be able to afford to use them. Electricity is fucking expensive in this country.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:15 am 

Yeah I don't know if I agree with the heaters thing. If people want heaters, they can buy their own it shouldn't be the landlord's responsibility to provide them to every room. One main heat pump or woodburner in the main living area is enough.

Keeping the place ventilated is more important than keeping it warm, and opening a window is free. As a tenant I'd be much more concerned with having things like secure window stays in ground floor rooms, and accessible natural light

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:23 am 

Tehui wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Auckman wrote:

Yep. Stress of the job and in the public eye. She only has herself to blame though.

Would be stunned if we don't hear something about her stepping down within the next 72 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 am 

deadduck wrote:
Yeah I don't know if I agree with the heaters thing. If people want heaters, they can buy their own it shouldn't be the landlord's responsibility to provide them to every room. One main heat pump or woodburner in the main living area is enough.

Keeping the place ventilated is more important than keeping it warm, and opening a window is free. As a tenant I'd be much more concerned with having things like secure window stays in ground floor rooms, and accessible natural light

Auckland is a very humid, damp climate though. When I first went flatting in Auckland we were on a second story flat so were able to leave windows open all day and night. Didn't help though as the ceiling in our bedroom had condensation just like the inside of a tent and our duvet went mouldy. x(

So we bought a dehumidifier and kept the windows closed and that resolved the issue. Not cheap to run though.

I've installed a heat pump, domestic ventilation system and supplied a dehumidifier to my tenants. Short of bulldozing the house and building something brand new I'm not sure what else I can do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 am 

booji boy wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Auckland is a very humid, damp climate though. When I first went flatting in Auckland we were on a second story flat so were able to leave windows open all day and night. Didn't help though as the ceiling in our bedroom had condensation just like the inside of a tent and our duvet went mouldy. x(

So we bought a dehumidifier and kept the windows closed and that resolved the issue. Not cheap to run though.

I've installed a heat pump, domestic ventilation system and supplied a dehumidifier to my tenants. Short of bulldozing the house and building something brand new I'm not sure what else I can do.

We bought a late 70s era Neil home, and lived in it for 8 years.
Every day in winter we would squeejee the windows of the lounge and bedrooms.
Interestingly the master bedroom was much worse leading me to surmise that much of the moisture is generated from breathing.

If I was a landlord though, supplying a dehumidifier seems like a pretty good investment. The tenant is much more likely to use it than open the windows regularly.

Heaters, not so much, they're only about $20 per room, so why bother legislating something so trivial?
If someone is so hopeless they can't organise a $20 heater, there's not much point in helping them anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:55 am 

booji boy wrote:
deadduck wrote:

We bought a late 70s era Neil home, and lived in it for 8 years.
Every day in winter we would squeejee the windows of the lounge and bedrooms.
Interestingly the master bedroom was much worse leading me to surmise that much of the moisture is generated from breathing.

If I was a landlord though, supplying a dehumidifier seems like a pretty good investment. The tenant is much more likely to use it than open the windows regularly.

Heaters, not so much, they're only about $20 per room, so why bother legislating something so trivial?
If someone is so hopeless they can't organise a $20 heater, there's not much point in helping them anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am 

Good post. Worth posting twice. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:09 am 

booji boy wrote:
Good post. Worth posting twice. :thumbup:

No effing idea what happened there. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:37 pm 

deadduck wrote:

Pffst, like we'd rent to you!

:P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:49 pm 

Actually, speaking of dodgy wiring and a fire risk, we were quite lucky not to have the place burn down. We discovered by accident while renovating between tenants that the previous ones had done a bit of rewiring to by-pass the meter! But only in the areas where they had the heaviest power usage, so it wasn't obvious to the power company that they were stealing power.

We found out because we turned the power off to access something and a radio that was plugged in kept going. Our sparky worked out what they had done and told us about the fire risk as everything was by-passing the fuse box so if there had been a power surge or problem it wouldn't have tripped any of the safeguards. We couldn't believe the risk they had pout themselves at. Imagine if something had happened in the middle of the night?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 pm 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Auckman wrote:

Would be stunned if we don't hear something about her stepping down within the next 72 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 am 

merlin the happy pig wrote:

If the landlord provided portable heaters would they have to be tested and tagged annually. If one catches fire and burns the house down who is liable?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:40 am 

God landlords have it rough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:59 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

Some do. There's this strange perception out there that to be a landlord you must be some rich money grabbing bastard out to rip everyone off to further your own ends.

I'm sure there are some rotten apples out there but I'm also sure that the majority of them are hardworking couples who have scrimped and saved to get where they are and are now investing some of that hard earned into a nest egg and i have no problem with that at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:05 am 

Cullen wrote:
merlin the happy pig wrote:

If the landlord provided portable heaters would they have to be tested and tagged annually. If one catches fire and burns the house down who is liable?

In case I wasn't clear, I was saying if a tenant can't organise a $20 fan heater per room they are beyond helping.
No way would I expect the land lord to provide heaters.

And you have a point around liability.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:21 am 

jambanja wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Some do. There's this strange perception out there that to be a landlord you must be some rich money grabbing bastard out to rip everyone off to further your own ends.

I'm sure there are some rotten apples out there but I'm also sure that the majority of them are hardworking couples who have scrimped and saved to get where they are and are now investing some of that hard earned into a nest egg and i have no problem with that at all.

You can always sell and claim those sweet, tax free capital gains. Park your capital in a different investment which is more passive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 am 

kiweez wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:

Goneski.

Maybe Meka Whaitiri should think about things as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 am 

I hope Clare Curran remembers to forward her work emails from Gmail as part of the handover.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 am 

She had to go, must be on the verge of a breakdown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 740  Next