NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
guy smiley

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by guy smiley »

Newshub :lol:

Do yourself a favour dude. Walk away from media outlets and get out side into the fresh air. Get your heart rate up for 20 minutes. Get some perspective.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Overall debt to gdp ratio is still pretty healthy
Now add in the debt for all the infrastructure work they didn't do while building roads - and the Christchurch repair bill
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Thanks guys.

My post was about tax and stuff, didn't really want to talk about the autism but didn't mind too much about it either. Thanks for the support. :thumbup:

I think NZ disability will get better. It is just a difference between a bigger country vs smaller country re: funding and staffing. NDIS is a major taxpayer commitment so it must chew up a lot of the federal health budget. NZ may or may not find it too expensive to do something similar, I wouldn't have a clue. Anyway, cheers all.
Dark

Post by Dark »

guy smiley wrote:Newshub :lol:

Do yourself a favour dude. Walk away from media outlets and get out side into the fresh air. Get your heart rate up for 20 minutes. Get some perspective.
:lol:

It is pretty funny though.

Did you see Ardern not knowing what the Treaty articles were.

You could hear Willie prompting her from behind.

Geezes. You would think she would have thought to write it on a piece of paper given where she is.

Funny as

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... icles.html

Last edited by Dark on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

When an article like that is written by “an extreme left-wing, anti-National Party journalist” like Tova O’Brien, who Matthew Hooten reminds us is “a disgrace to the profession and a disgrace to Newshub, and is running a personal campaign to get rid of Simon Bridges” then it makes you think...
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

But it's perfect for Dark
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Mr Mike wrote:

When an article like that is written by “an extreme left-wing, anti-National Party journalist” like Tova O’Brien, who Matthew Hooten reminds us is “a disgrace to the profession and a disgrace to Newshub, and is running a personal campaign to get rid of Simon Bridges” then it makes you think...
Matthew Hooten though.

Jesus.

Dark, any program designed to create jobs isn’t going to generate much in the short term, and it’s still only just over a year in. Whatever is created in that short term is going to be junk stuff.

What Labour will be doing, as all govts do, is looking at delivering on election and policy goals over the life of their first term so that they can ride momentum into a second term, which is when the real reform work can be expected to take place... then having done the hard yards in that second term and set up the changes they want, a third term if won is a bonus.

That’s the usual political cycle and you getting all wrought over silly statistical trivia at this stage of the cycle is petty.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Were there any interim targets for regional growth fund job creation?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dark wrote:

Geezes. You would think she would have thought to write it on a piece of paper given where she is.

Funny as

As a floater, no doubt you monitored Key and English's knowledge of the treaty articles when they were in power? (I'm never one to let a good joke die ;)).

Hell I've worked on Treaty claims and I can't remember the articles in order off the top of my head.

But yes, she probably should have written them on a piece of paper, or even better, had an earpiece that Willie could have spoken into spy style.

Mr Mike wrote:

You're reaching a bit here, firstly taking anything Hooten says seriously, and secondly as she's a journo that has gone after both sides of the spectrum a cusrory glance on her Newshub page shows this.
Dark

Post by Dark »

guy smiley wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

Matthew Hooten though.

Jesus.

Dark, any program designed to create jobs isn’t going to generate much in the short term, and it’s still only just over a year in. Whatever is created in that short term is going to be junk stuff.

What Labour will be doing, as all govts do, is looking at delivering on election and policy goals over the life of their first term so that they can ride momentum into a second term, which is when the real reform work can be expected to take place... then having done the hard yards in that second term and set up the changes they want, a third term if won is a bonus.

That’s the usual political cycle and you getting all wrought over silly statistical trivia at this stage of the cycle is petty.
I'd take that as probably true if it weren't for the fact there seems to be zero transparency of where this money is going and what the plans/targets are.

It is what it is.

A slush fund for Winston to try to get his Northland seat back, as he lost 50% of his voters after the election decision, and won't make the 5% given the polls.

He may have even done it as a good thing originally, but needs must.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Yeah, right. Ole neutral floaty floater voter is as impartial as the wart on a witches arse.

Northland needs help and that was stated clearly early on. Also, I’m thinking of living here so f**k off with your sabotage of my plans :x
Dark

Post by Dark »

UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote:

Funny as

As a floater, no doubt you monitored Key and English's knowledge of the treaty articles when they were in power? (I'm never one to let a good joke die ;)).

Hell I've worked on Treaty claims and I can't remember the articles in order off the top of my head.

But yes, she probably should have written them on a piece of paper, or even better, had an earpiece that Willie could have spoken into spy style.

Mr Mike wrote:

You're reaching a bit here, firstly taking anything Hooten says seriously, and secondly as she's a journo that has gone after both sides of the spectrum a cusrory glance on her Newshub page shows this.
Apparently English is nearly fluent in Maori, so would probably know

No idea about whether Key would care, but given he invited the Maori Party into govt 3 times we he didn't need them after the elections, I would think he would be bright enough to study up.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dark wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote: :lol:

Funny as

Mr Mike wrote:

No idea about whether Key would care, but given he invited the Maori Party into govt 3 times we he didn't need them after the elections, I would think he would be bright enough to study up.
Near fluency in Te Reo Maori doesn't equate to knowing the treaty off by heart.

I'm not sure what relevance inviting the Maori Party (and in the process causing their downfall) into govt has to a personal knowledge of the articles of the ToW.

Going back to your post above, why do you think there is any less transparency about where this money is going than other govt initiatives? The MBIE will have to account for where it goes and it will be subject to ministerial oversite.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Because Labour Ardern spit John Key gush.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Surely the biggest scandal of this thread is that Auckman has outed himself as Australian?
Dark

Post by Dark »

UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Dark wrote: :lol:

Funny as

Mr Mike wrote:

Near fluency in Te Reo Maori doesn't equate to knowing the treaty off by heart.

I'm not sure what relevance inviting the Maori Party (and in the process causing their downfall) into govt has to a personal knowledge of the articles of the ToW.

Going back to your post above, why do you think there is any less transparency about where this money is going than other govt initiatives? The MBIE will have to account for where it goes and it will be subject to ministerial oversite.
I am pretty sure the Treaty would be part of his lessons

I never said Key cared. I said he would be bright enough to find out given his partners

MBIE have a whole website on them

https://www.mbie.govt.nz/science-and-te ... ment-fund/

Where is Shane's?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

True Blue wrote:Surely the biggest scandal of this thread is that Auckman has outed himself as Australian?
Pertinent point.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

True Blue wrote:Surely the biggest scandal of this thread is that Auckman has outed himself as Australian?
Well that and that the Aussie guy smiley might be becoming a NZ first voter

Edit: he’s the right age apparently
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Because I'm thinking of living in Northland?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

guy smiley wrote:Because I'm thinking of living in Northland?

Absolutely, it’s one of the new property purchase requirements, just ask JTB, although I think they were a bit scared to enforce it with him.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

guy smiley wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

Matthew Hooten though.

Jesus.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is another session of guysplaining.
maxbox

Post by maxbox »

Wait! What?

:x
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I actually quite like Hooton. Good value on Twitter.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

maxbox wrote:

Wait! What?

I'm in Whangarei Max.

I can see your washing.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

If Tova O'Brien is so left wing why the hell would she want to get rid of Soimin Bridges ?? :lol: As someone who voted for Key and revels in the vapidity of Jacinda and the CoL I have to admit I voted for Labour and Taxinda. As bad as they might be, a government who doesn't hate the poor would be much better for this countries long term health in the current climate
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Good old Sydman.
AD345

Post by AD345 »

guy smiley wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Wait! What?

I'm in Whangarei Max.

I can see your washing.
If you're looking for a good breakfast tomorrow - try Essence cafe in Bank Street in the Regent.

Its owned by an old friend of mine and he does a pretty good brekky
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

AD345 wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Wait! What?

I'm in Whangarei Max.

I can see your washing.
If you're looking for a good breakfast tomorrow - try Essence cafe in Bank Street in the Regent.

Its owned by an old friend of mine and he does a pretty good brekky

Thanks man... had an amusing message from my cousin, she lived here for a few years and made a comment about me probably getting coffee from her ex's place but she won't tell me who or where yet :lol:

Your mate... uhhh, does he have a sorta kooky ex?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

:lol: :lol:

Brumbie_Steve knew might dirty secret when I accidentally spilled the beans during a Fijian cabal once upon a time.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

UncleFB wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

I thought it was pretty obvious I was retching rather than reaching.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Mr Mike wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

I thought it was pretty obvious I was retching rather than reaching.
My bad, jumped the gun and whooshed myself!
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Hopefully this article is on the money. Winston (my hero, always has been ;) ) may yet save us from a CGT. :smug:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12201695
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

That article is a shitshow...

and I edited to be polite three times.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

booji boy wrote:Hopefully this article is on the money. Winston (my hero, always has been ;) ) may yet save us from a CGT. :smug:

Do you think a CGT is a bad thing? Or is it more a case of you losing more than gaining if such a tax eventuated? Honest question, I’m in the latter and it definitely dampens my attitude to it. Can’t they introduce it after I’m rich?
BillW

Post by BillW »

Wilderbeast wrote:
booji boy wrote:Hopefully this article is on the money. Winston (my hero, always has been ;) ) may yet save us from a CGT. :smug:

Do you think a CGT is a bad thing? Or is it more a case of you losing more than gaining if such a tax eventuated? Honest question, I’m in the latter and it definitely dampens my attitude to it. Can’t they introduce it after I’m rich?
If I win the lotto and the goverment takes a third of it off me I'll think it's a shit of an idea.
If some one else wins the lotto and they don't take a third of it in CGT I'll be asking why not?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Edit: missed your point as it seems you agree with me (though lotto implies more luck where I choose to believe my investment wins are skill 8) )
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Wilderbeast wrote:

My problem with CGT is that I've yet to see a clear explanation of how it will achieve it's goals and not result in some undesirable consequences. No one seems to be able to point to another country where it's introduction has solved their versions of our housing crisis, yet it's touted as part of the solution to ours.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Fat Old Git wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

My problem with CGT is that I've yet to see a clear explanation of how it will achieve it's goals or result in some undesirable consequences. No one seems to be able to point to another country where it's introduction has solved their versions of our housing crisis, yet it's touted as part of the solution to ours.
You reckon it might be worthwhile waiting for the report of the Tax working group and the announcement of policy before getting into full scare campaign mode?

Australia has a CGT. Unfortunately that doesn't act alone in the housing market which is the key area a CGT addresses. They also have the negative gearing policy which allows loss making investments to be claimed as tax deductible. So if we owned a place and rented it out but the rental income fell under the cost of investment (mortgage etc) then it's a loss maker and negatively geared. That skews the market heavily in favour of investors obviously, so the CGT effect is minor. They also enjoyed years of a First Home Buyers' Scheme that saw grants given to buyers to aid purchases. That blew the market up like a puffer fish within months, something the NZ market hasn't been subjected to. So a direct comparison is difficult to make there...which shouldn't dissuade us from attempting some control over excessive profiteering which a CGT should do.

Bill uses the example of a Lotto win being taxed. The Aussies don't tax Lotto wins... in the year you win it's a windfall and not capital you've invested. Proceeds of that will be taxed in following years though as you'll presumably be gaining as a result.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

guy smiley wrote:
Bill uses the example of a Lotto win being taxed. The Aussies don't tax Lotto wins... in the year you win it's a windfall and not capital you've invested. Proceeds of that will be taxed in following years though as you'll presumably be gaining as a result.
Same as NZ on that front then.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Same as NZ on that front then.

Yeah, it's only fair. I can't see how the introduction of a CGT would change that.