Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 741  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20621
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
I said it earlier, but they've been a really disappointing opposition. Have descended into the mess of petty dramas that seems to afflict every party when they lose power. I was hoping this time might be difference given how close the vote was.

There's a host of things they could and should be holding the Government to account over, but they're not failing badly to do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
Fat Old Git wrote:
I said it earlier, but they've been a really disappointing opposition. Have descended into the mess of petty dramas that seems to afflict every party when they lose power. I was hoping this time might be difference given how close the vote was.

There's a host of things they could and should be holding the Government to account over, but they're not failing badly to do that.



Tend to agree

In the last couple of months we have seen the death of promised CGT, Kiwibuild and now Uni Fees Free. All their big ticket policies, all colossal failures. The coalition keep watering down to nothing any policy they can agree on to actually agree on it.....Road toll has shot through the roof. Mass strikes, including the biggest teachers strike coming up in NZ history. Weed referendum with zero policy outline while simultaneously trying to ban smoking and having mass loads of young people not being able to get jobs because they keep failing drug tests. New policy to "use leniency in all drug situations" when we still have a P epidemic. A 2 million dollar "Welfare reform" enquiry they pick 3 pointless recommendations out of about 80 to introduce, and one of them (The penalty for not naming fathers) they were the ones that actually introduced in the first place.

Now Ardern is going on about censoring free speech and yesterday didn't rule out blocking Facebook in NZ, in some pointless meeting no one is at, which she got to by plane spewing gas emissions going against her "nuclear moment" of environmental concern.

The most biased speaker since Trumps last media liaison spokesperson

And what do National do?

The leader goes on about wasting money on slushy machines


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32791
Location: in transit
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:


Right off the rails, of course. As usual.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:


Right off the rails, of course. As usual.



Feel free to point out which bit is wrong

I appreciate Mallard being biased is a perception thing, but the rest is pretty much as I stated


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32791
Location: in transit
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:


Right off the rails, of course. As usual.



Feel free to point out which bit is wrong

I appreciate Mallard being biased is a perception thing, but the rest is pretty much as I stated


Nah. The rest is your usual mix of mistruths, misinterpretations, misinformation and misfires.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:


Right off the rails, of course. As usual.



Feel free to point out which bit is wrong

I appreciate Mallard being biased is a perception thing, but the rest is pretty much as I stated


Nah. The rest is your usual mix of mistruths, misinterpretations, misinformation and misfires.


Again which bits?

It can't be that hard. You said it was a whole mixure

There must be multiple


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:


Right off the rails, of course. As usual.



Feel free to point out which bit is wrong

I appreciate Mallard being biased is a perception thing, but the rest is pretty much as I stated


Nah. The rest is your usual mix of mistruths, misinterpretations, misinformation and misfires.


:lol: You mean it doesn't align with your view of the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19239
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:18 pm
Posts: 1647
Here we go again.......Our view by National.....our view by labour......my view by Winston.....us view from greens.....and another view from ACT. I think the system is broke as the current one just polarises viewpoints. From my front room window, my view is that Nats, Labour and Greens have both good policies, and some crap stuff too. It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately. If we have a democracy, line up policies to be implemented, and hold a mega referendum to vote on these and the priority they are addressed. .....then elect the people to see their implementation. Getting a bit sick of the bickering that goes on with Westminster system.....look at how the original model s operating at the mo! Time for a change I reckon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32791
Location: in transit
booji boy wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:


Right off the rails, of course. As usual.



Feel free to point out which bit is wrong

I appreciate Mallard being biased is a perception thing, but the rest is pretty much as I stated


Nah. The rest is your usual mix of mistruths, misinterpretations, misinformation and misfires.


:lol: You mean it doesn't align with your view of the world.


or vice versa... :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?


Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?



Doesn't it kind of depend on who is judging what is hate speech?

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

And what are the criteria?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32791
Location: in transit
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?


Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:


That's me convinced.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?


Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:


That's me convinced.


Well that was easy. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19239
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
terangi48 wrote:
Here we go again.......Our view by National.....our view by labour......my view by Winston.....us view from greens.....and another view from ACT. I think the system is broke as the current one just polarises viewpoints. From my front room window, my view is that Nats, Labour and Greens have both good policies, and some crap stuff too. It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately. If we have a democracy, line up policies to be implemented, and hold a mega referendum to vote on these and the priority they are addressed. .....then elect the people to see their implementation. Getting a bit sick of the bickering that goes on with Westminster system.....look at how the original model s operating at the mo! Time for a change I reckon.


Hell yes, sign me up. Online Friday night voting. New laws implemented every Monday morning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19239
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?



Doesn't it kind of depend on who is judging what is hate speech?

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

And what are the criteria?



Oh fuck off - if you are that immature that you can't figure out what hate speech is, please review your online presence.
All that is being sought is an agreement to cut these pricks out of mainstream social media and if it is a group of people from each platform making the decisions, so be it. The world has proven itself to be too immature to handle unrestricted posting rights so an increased form of moderation is required.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?



Doesn't it kind of depend on who is judging what is hate speech?

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

And what are the criteria?



Oh fuck off - if you are that immature that you can't figure out what hate speech is, please review your online presence.
All that is being sought is an agreement to cut these pricks out of mainstream social media and if it is a group of people from each platform making the decisions, so be it. The world has proven itself to be too immature to handle unrestricted posting rights so an increased form of moderation is required.


A noble objective for sure but like most of Labours policy agenda it will probably amount to sweet FA in reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?



Doesn't it kind of depend on who is judging what is hate speech?

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

And what are the criteria?



Oh fuck off - if you are that immature that you can't figure out what hate speech is, please review your online presence.
All that is being sought is an agreement to cut these pricks out of mainstream social media and if it is a group of people from each platform making the decisions, so be it. The world has proven itself to be too immature to handle unrestricted posting rights so an increased form of moderation is required.


Which pricks? Just mass shooters? Or anti #####

What counts as worthy ##### of not being criticised


If it is the social media owners themselves then I tend to agree as they own the things, but if it is anyone else this needs to be outlined or it tends to get ugly and go overboard


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4351
Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?



Doesn't it kind of depend on who is judging what is hate speech?

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

And what are the criteria?



Oh fuck off - if you are that immature that you can't figure out what hate speech is, please review your online presence.
All that is being sought is an agreement to cut these pricks out of mainstream social media and if it is a group of people from each platform making the decisions, so be it. The world has proven itself to be too immature to handle unrestricted posting rights so an increased form of moderation is required.


Well hate speech can be very subjective so not sure why you’re so upset? -think that’s the point of his comment -don’t think he’s talking about the very obvious examples

There’s the very obvious hate speech and then a huge subjective grey area - the Folau case being an example


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
In an interview last night Jacinda refused to rule out banning Facebook in NZ if the platform refused to comply. Absolutely unlikely she would go through with such a stupid threat of course but an example of what I meant. Imagine if Zuckerberg refuses to play ball. Would Jacinda really consider banning a platform used by millions of normal people around the world for normal, healthy (or unhealthy depending on your POV) social media interaction because a tiny minority of white supremacist loons also use it?

Might as well ban alcohol while she's at it as well since a portion of our society can't use it safely and responsibly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
Let me give you an example

Facebook recently blocked Alex Jones and Milo Yiannopoulos

I personally think Alex Jones is a complete fruitloop and frankly tending towards dangerous, but hardly worthy of the effort. I actually don't care if he is blocked

Milo is a mincing gay dude who is totally harmless and just says stupid stuff and anti feminist crap.

I think the former I wouldn't block but don't care. The later I wouldn't block and I kind of do care as, although I haven't seen anything for a while he seemed harmless apart from being a tosser.

Now that is me

Person 2 wants to ban both

Person 3 wants none banned

Person 4 wants one but not the other

Who gets to decide?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
booji boy wrote:
In an interview last night Jacinda refused to rule out banning Facebook in NZ if the platform refused to comply. Absolutely unlikely she would go through with such a stupid threat of course but an example of what I meant. Imagine if Zuckerberg refuses to play ball. Would Jacinda really consider banning a platform used by millions of normal people around the world for normal, healthy (or unhealthy depending on your POV) social media interaction because a tiny minority of white supremacist loons also use it?

Might as well ban alcohol while she's at it as well since a portion of our society can't use it safely and responsibly.


She also said she doesn't understand why the US don't just change gun law like Aus and NZ, so she ain't exactly clued up on the whole 2nd amendment thing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
terangi48 wrote:
Here we go again.......Our view by National.....our view by labour......my view by Winston.....us view from greens.....and another view from ACT. I think the system is broke as the current one just polarises viewpoints. From my front room window, my view is that Nats, Labour and Greens have both good policies, and some crap stuff too. It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately. If we have a democracy, line up policies to be implemented, and hold a mega referendum to vote on these and the priority they are addressed. .....then elect the people to see their implementation. Getting a bit sick of the bickering that goes on with Westminster system.....look at how the original model s operating at the mo! Time for a change I reckon.


:lol: Oh really? And who gets to decide what is good policy and what is crap policy?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
Dark wrote:
booji boy wrote:
In an interview last night Jacinda refused to rule out banning Facebook in NZ if the platform refused to comply. Absolutely unlikely she would go through with such a stupid threat of course but an example of what I meant. Imagine if Zuckerberg refuses to play ball. Would Jacinda really consider banning a platform used by millions of normal people around the world for normal, healthy (or unhealthy depending on your POV) social media interaction because a tiny minority of white supremacist loons also use it?

Might as well ban alcohol while she's at it as well since a portion of our society can't use it safely and responsibly.


She also said she doesn't understand why the US don't just change gun law like Aus and NZ, so she ain't exactly clued up on the whole 2nd amendment thing


At least she admitted: "I do not understand the United States."

There's a lot she doesn't understand but she doesn't usually admit it. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:18 pm
Posts: 1647
It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately.

The electorate decides.....instead of partys with self serving interests.....run the country for everyone....like a good business should be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
terangi48 wrote:
It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately.

The electorate decides.....instead of partys with self serving interests.....run the country for everyone....like a good business should be.


Kind of yes and no

Not many businesses have their main supplier of resources to supply to customers, being also the customers they are supplying it back to. (Tax)

Which is where priority of distribution of those resources from their customers comes in.

And then there will always be winners and losers.

Your average NZ business is small and just have to make the books add up and pay their staff a decent wage in a decent environment, while hopefully not going broke and enjoying it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 2581
Location: Kirikiriroa
Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?



Doesn't it kind of depend on who is judging what is hate speech?

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

And what are the criteria?



Oh fuck off - if you are that immature that you can't figure out what hate speech is, please review your online presence.
All that is being sought is an agreement to cut these pricks out of mainstream social media and if it is a group of people from each platform making the decisions, so be it. The world has proven itself to be too immature to handle unrestricted posting rights so an increased form of moderation is required.


I wonder how many will start of make their own platforms so they can have their own little echo chambers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 2581
Location: Kirikiriroa
terangi48 wrote:
It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately.

The electorate decides.....instead of partys with self serving interests.....run the country for everyone....like a good business should be.


I thought businesses are not run for everyone? Just to make money for the shareholders?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5659
Dark wrote:
terangi48 wrote:
It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately.

The electorate decides.....instead of partys with self serving interests.....run the country for everyone....like a good business should be.


Kind of yes and no

Not many businesses have their main supplier of resources to supply to customers, being also the customers they are supplying it back to. (Tax)

Which is where priority of distribution of those resources from their customers comes in.

And then there will always be winners and losers.

Your average NZ business is small and just have to make the books add up and pay their staff a decent wage in a decent environment, while hopefully not going broke and enjoying it


Are you saying the revenue a business makes from selling goods and services to customers does not fund their ability to generate said goods and services? Where exactly do you think these businesses get their money?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8853
Location: Sydney Town
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?


Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:


nah I reckon it is starting to get invaded by organised hit groups of trolls organised by interest groups/political parties/russians/whoever, all designed to swing public opinion towards a particular point of view. Those anti-1080 loons are just one example. It doesn't take much for the NRA to organise "hit squads" of trolls to troll anti-gun law news articles or politicians deemed to be anti-gun control. That is all part of the political debate, although the FBI deems the russian hit squads as an interference in their election process and I reckon it is edging towards being dodgy.

The real worry is when terrorists use similar tactics. I am not on arabic facebook but I'm pretty sure ISIS has been doing similar hit jobs on arabic social media. Their whole recruitment strategy was online. White supremacists using social media for similar ends is not beyond the realms of possibility either. A unified global approach has to be the starting point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5113
Location: NZ
Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
terangi48 wrote:
It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately.

The electorate decides.....instead of partys with self serving interests.....run the country for everyone....like a good business should be.


Kind of yes and no

Not many businesses have their main supplier of resources to supply to customers, being also the customers they are supplying it back to. (Tax)

Which is where priority of distribution of those resources from their customers comes in.

And then there will always be winners and losers.

Your average NZ business is small and just have to make the books add up and pay their staff a decent wage in a decent environment, while hopefully not going broke and enjoying it


Are you saying the revenue a business makes from selling goods and services to customers does not fund their ability to generate said goods and services? Where exactly do you think these businesses get their money?


Not at all

I was saying the customers supply the revenue to the govt and the govt hands it out to customers

How they chose to do this dictates their policy

Labour THIS TERM have tended to waste the revenue


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6072
Location: Vandean Coast
A government cannot be run like a business.


That is not to say a government should not be run efficiently, and be constantly looking for ways to improve their operations, reduce waste and also decrease the costs for the taxpayers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6072
Location: Vandean Coast
Auckman wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?


Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:


nah I reckon it is starting to get invaded by organised hit groups of trolls organised by interest groups/political parties/russians/whoever, all designed to swing public opinion towards a particular point of view. Those anti-1080 loons are just one example. It doesn't take much for the NRA to organise "hit squads" of trolls to troll anti-gun law news articles or politicians deemed to be anti-gun control. That is all part of the political debate, although the FBI deems the russian hit squads as an interference in their election process and I reckon it is edging towards being dodgy.

The real worry is when terrorists use similar tactics. I am not on arabic facebook but I'm pretty sure ISIS has been doing similar hit jobs on arabic social media. Their whole recruitment strategy was online. White supremacists using social media for similar ends is not beyond the realms of possibility either. A unified global approach has to be the starting point.


There's an irony here that in the 2017 election Labour used Facebook extensively to proliferate anti-National memes with their "Backing the Kiwi Meme" campaign. It's probably naive to think that they don't also have social media teams who organise "hit squads" of people to flood comments sections in an effort to frame the narrative their way. Perhaps not to the same extent as the NRA but I bet it does happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8853
Location: Sydney Town
deadduck wrote:

There's an irony here that in the 2017 election Labour used Facebook extensively to proliferate anti-National memes with their "Backing the Kiwi Meme" campaign. It's probably naive to think that they don't also have social media teams who organise "hit squads" of people to flood comments sections in an effort to frame the narrative their way. Perhaps not to the same extent as the NRA but I bet it does happen.


I am willing to bet all the parties try and do that. National are probably the kings of that kind of stuff, simply because they have more money to spend. They had something like $4 million in donations in the last election; Labour $1.4 million from memory. However, America is probably where this kind of thing is at its absolute height.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32791
Location: in transit
Auckman wrote:
deadduck wrote:

There's an irony here that in the 2017 election Labour used Facebook extensively to proliferate anti-National memes with their "Backing the Kiwi Meme" campaign. It's probably naive to think that they don't also have social media teams who organise "hit squads" of people to flood comments sections in an effort to frame the narrative their way. Perhaps not to the same extent as the NRA but I bet it does happen.


I am willing to bet all the parties try and do that. National are probably the kings of that kind of stuff, simply because they have more money to spend. They had something like $4 million in donations in the last election; Labour $1.4 million from memory. However, America is probably where this kind of thing is at its absolute height.



There are enough news articles around to suggest the practise is widespread. There's no irony in Labour having used it. It would be naive to suggest any party isn't.

it also has very little bearing on deciding on a need to act after a terrorist incident that deliberately used social media live streaming as an integral aspect of the terror act.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
guy smiley wrote:
Auckman wrote:
deadduck wrote:

There's an irony here that in the 2017 election Labour used Facebook extensively to proliferate anti-National memes with their "Backing the Kiwi Meme" campaign. It's probably naive to think that they don't also have social media teams who organise "hit squads" of people to flood comments sections in an effort to frame the narrative their way. Perhaps not to the same extent as the NRA but I bet it does happen.


I am willing to bet all the parties try and do that. National are probably the kings of that kind of stuff, simply because they have more money to spend. They had something like $4 million in donations in the last election; Labour $1.4 million from memory. However, America is probably where this kind of thing is at its absolute height.



There are enough news articles around to suggest the practise is widespread. There's no irony in Labour having used it. It would be naive to suggest any party isn't.

it also has very little bearing on deciding on a need to act after a terrorist incident that deliberately used social media live streaming as an integral aspect of the terror act.


Where was 'The Raqqa Call' when Jihadi John was beheading western hostages on YouTube?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32791
Location: in transit
Is this another of your cunning and devious uses of some whataboutery to back up your Hosking style hatred of the PM and her government?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
Auckman wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.



Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?


Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:


nah I reckon it is starting to get invaded by organised hit groups of trolls organised by interest groups/political parties/russians/whoever, all designed to swing public opinion towards a particular point of view. Those anti-1080 loons are just one example. It doesn't take much for the NRA to organise "hit squads" of trolls to troll anti-gun law news articles or politicians deemed to be anti-gun control. That is all part of the political debate, although the FBI deems the russian hit squads as an interference in their election process and I reckon it is edging towards being dodgy.

The real worry is when terrorists use similar tactics. I am not on arabic facebook but I'm pretty sure ISIS has been doing similar hit jobs on arabic social media. Their whole recruitment strategy was online. White supremacists using social media for similar ends is not beyond the realms of possibility either. A unified global approach has to be the starting point.


:thumbup:

I must admit I went online to watch YouTube clips of 911 after visiting the Ground Zero Memorial in New York. I couldn't believe it seemed like about 80% of the clips were conspiracy theorists claiming it was an inside job by the US Govt, the planes were carrying missiles, Tower 7 was detonated separately etc.

So I accept what you're saying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8505
guy smiley wrote:
Is this another of your cunning and devious uses of some whataboutery to back up your Hosking style hatred of the PM and her government?


:lol:

I love Jacinda. The world needs more like her. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 741  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CrazyIslander, danthefan, Google Adsense [Bot], Insane_Homer, Jensrsa, Jim Lahey, Leinsterman, Phantomb, redderneck, Taranaki Snapper and 53 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group