Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 741  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 am 

I said it earlier, but they've been a really disappointing opposition. Have descended into the mess of petty dramas that seems to afflict every party when they lose power. I was hoping this time might be difference given how close the vote was.

There's a host of things they could and should be holding the Government to account over, but they're not failing badly to do that.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:58 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
I said it earlier, but they've been a really disappointing opposition. Have descended into the mess of petty dramas that seems to afflict every party when they lose power. I was hoping this time might be difference given how close the vote was.

There's a host of things they could and should be holding the Government to account over, but they're not failing badly to do that.

Tend to agree

In the last couple of months we have seen the death of promised CGT, Kiwibuild and now Uni Fees Free. All their big ticket policies, all colossal failures. The coalition keep watering down to nothing any policy they can agree on to actually agree on it.....Road toll has shot through the roof. Mass strikes, including the biggest teachers strike coming up in NZ history. Weed referendum with zero policy outline while simultaneously trying to ban smoking and having mass loads of young people not being able to get jobs because they keep failing drug tests. New policy to "use leniency in all drug situations" when we still have a P epidemic. A 2 million dollar "Welfare reform" enquiry they pick 3 pointless recommendations out of about 80 to introduce, and one of them (The penalty for not naming fathers) they were the ones that actually introduced in the first place.

Now Ardern is going on about censoring free speech and yesterday didn't rule out blocking Facebook in NZ, in some pointless meeting no one is at, which she got to by plane spewing gas emissions going against her "nuclear moment" of environmental concern.

The most biased speaker since Trumps last media liaison spokesperson

And what do National do?

The leader goes on about wasting money on slushy machines

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 am 

Very succinct summary there Dark. :thumbup:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 am 

booji boy wrote:

Right off the rails, of course. As usual.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 am 

guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Feel free to point out which bit is wrong

I appreciate Mallard being biased is a perception thing, but the rest is pretty much as I stated

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:23 am 

Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:

I appreciate Mallard being biased is a perception thing, but the rest is pretty much as I stated

Nah. The rest is your usual mix of mistruths, misinterpretations, misinformation and misfires.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Nah. The rest is your usual mix of mistruths, misinterpretations, misinformation and misfires.

Again which bits?

It can't be that hard. You said it was a whole mixure

There must be multiple

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:

:lol: You mean it doesn't align with your view of the world.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:07 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
booji boy wrote:

Jacinda is starting to sound a bit vacuous on this online hate speech bollocks. I wonder if international observers will start to notice this and some of the gloss will come off her shining star image.

Why is it bollocks. Do you agree with it?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:27 am 

Here we go again.......Our view by National.....our view by labour......my view by Winston.....us view from greens.....and another view from ACT. I think the system is broke as the current one just polarises viewpoints. From my front room window, my view is that Nats, Labour and Greens have both good policies, and some crap stuff too. It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately. If we have a democracy, line up policies to be implemented, and hold a mega referendum to vote on these and the priority they are addressed. .....then elect the people to see their implementation. Getting a bit sick of the bickering that goes on with Westminster system.....look at how the original model s operating at the mo! Time for a change I reckon.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 am 

booji boy wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:

:lol: You mean it doesn't align with your view of the world.

or vice versa... :nod:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am 

Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am 

Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Doesn't it kind of depend on who is judging what is hate speech?

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

And what are the criteria?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 am 

booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Of course I don't agree with it. But haters gonna hate. 99.9% of social media is fine but let's legislate to try and force the 0.01% of loons to express their lunatic agenda on a different forum. Yeah that'll change the world. :roll:

That's me convinced.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 am 

guy smiley wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

That's me convinced.

Well that was easy. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 am 

terangi48 wrote:
Here we go again.......Our view by National.....our view by labour......my view by Winston.....us view from greens.....and another view from ACT. I think the system is broke as the current one just polarises viewpoints. From my front room window, my view is that Nats, Labour and Greens have both good policies, and some crap stuff too. It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately. If we have a democracy, line up policies to be implemented, and hold a mega referendum to vote on these and the priority they are addressed. .....then elect the people to see their implementation. Getting a bit sick of the bickering that goes on with Westminster system.....look at how the original model s operating at the mo! Time for a change I reckon.

Hell yes, sign me up. Online Friday night voting. New laws implemented every Monday morning.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 am 

Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

I certainly don't want any govt of the time doing it. Or church. Or academics. Or commercial entity. Or lobby group

Oh fuck off - if you are that immature that you can't figure out what hate speech is, please review your online presence.
All that is being sought is an agreement to cut these pricks out of mainstream social media and if it is a group of people from each platform making the decisions, so be it. The world has proven itself to be too immature to handle unrestricted posting rights so an increased form of moderation is required.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Oh fuck off - if you are that immature that you can't figure out what hate speech is, please review your online presence.
All that is being sought is an agreement to cut these pricks out of mainstream social media and if it is a group of people from each platform making the decisions, so be it. The world has proven itself to be too immature to handle unrestricted posting rights so an increased form of moderation is required.

A noble objective for sure but like most of Labours policy agenda it will probably amount to sweet FA in reality.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:36 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Which pricks? Just mass shooters? Or anti #####

What counts as worthy ##### of not being criticised

If it is the social media owners themselves then I tend to agree as they own the things, but if it is anyone else this needs to be outlined or it tends to get ugly and go overboard

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Well hate speech can be very subjective so not sure why you’re so upset? -think that’s the point of his comment -don’t think he’s talking about the very obvious examples

There’s the very obvious hate speech and then a huge subjective grey area - the Folau case being an example

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am 

In an interview last night Jacinda refused to rule out banning Facebook in NZ if the platform refused to comply. Absolutely unlikely she would go through with such a stupid threat of course but an example of what I meant. Imagine if Zuckerberg refuses to play ball. Would Jacinda really consider banning a platform used by millions of normal people around the world for normal, healthy (or unhealthy depending on your POV) social media interaction because a tiny minority of white supremacist loons also use it?

Might as well ban alcohol while she's at it as well since a portion of our society can't use it safely and responsibly.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 am 

Let me give you an example

Facebook recently blocked Alex Jones and Milo Yiannopoulos

I personally think Alex Jones is a complete fruitloop and frankly tending towards dangerous, but hardly worthy of the effort. I actually don't care if he is blocked

Milo is a mincing gay dude who is totally harmless and just says stupid stuff and anti feminist crap.

I think the former I wouldn't block but don't care. The later I wouldn't block and I kind of do care as, although I haven't seen anything for a while he seemed harmless apart from being a tosser.

Now that is me

Person 2 wants to ban both

Person 3 wants none banned

Person 4 wants one but not the other

Who gets to decide?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 am 

booji boy wrote:
In an interview last night Jacinda refused to rule out banning Facebook in NZ if the platform refused to comply. Absolutely unlikely she would go through with such a stupid threat of course but an example of what I meant. Imagine if Zuckerberg refuses to play ball. Would Jacinda really consider banning a platform used by millions of normal people around the world for normal, healthy (or unhealthy depending on your POV) social media interaction because a tiny minority of white supremacist loons also use it?

Might as well ban alcohol while she's at it as well since a portion of our society can't use it safely and responsibly.

She also said she doesn't understand why the US don't just change gun law like Aus and NZ, so she ain't exactly clued up on the whole 2nd amendment thing

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am 

terangi48 wrote:

:lol: Oh really? And who gets to decide what is good policy and what is crap policy?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 am 

Dark wrote:
booji boy wrote:

She also said she doesn't understand why the US don't just change gun law like Aus and NZ, so she ain't exactly clued up on the whole 2nd amendment thing

At least she admitted: "I do not understand the United States."

There's a lot she doesn't understand but she doesn't usually admit it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am 

It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately.

The electorate decides.....instead of partys with self serving interests.....run the country for everyone....like a good business should be.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 am 

terangi48 wrote:
It seems to me that the good policy should get through, and the crap stuff dumped immediately.

The electorate decides.....instead of partys with self serving interests.....run the country for everyone....like a good business should be.

Kind of yes and no

Not many businesses have their main supplier of resources to supply to customers, being also the customers they are supplying it back to. (Tax)

Which is where priority of distribution of those resources from their customers comes in.

And then there will always be winners and losers.

Your average NZ business is small and just have to make the books add up and pay their staff a decent wage in a decent environment, while hopefully not going broke and enjoying it

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:06 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

I wonder how many will start of make their own platforms so they can have their own little echo chambers.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:07 pm 

terangi48 wrote:

I thought businesses are not run for everyone? Just to make money for the shareholders?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:23 pm 

Dark wrote:
terangi48 wrote:

Kind of yes and no

Not many businesses have their main supplier of resources to supply to customers, being also the customers they are supplying it back to. (Tax)

Which is where priority of distribution of those resources from their customers comes in.

Your average NZ business is small and just have to make the books add up and pay their staff a decent wage in a decent environment, while hopefully not going broke and enjoying it

Are you saying the revenue a business makes from selling goods and services to customers does not fund their ability to generate said goods and services? Where exactly do you think these businesses get their money?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm 

booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

nah I reckon it is starting to get invaded by organised hit groups of trolls organised by interest groups/political parties/russians/whoever, all designed to swing public opinion towards a particular point of view. Those anti-1080 loons are just one example. It doesn't take much for the NRA to organise "hit squads" of trolls to troll anti-gun law news articles or politicians deemed to be anti-gun control. That is all part of the political debate, although the FBI deems the russian hit squads as an interference in their election process and I reckon it is edging towards being dodgy.

The real worry is when terrorists use similar tactics. I am not on arabic facebook but I'm pretty sure ISIS has been doing similar hit jobs on arabic social media. Their whole recruitment strategy was online. White supremacists using social media for similar ends is not beyond the realms of possibility either. A unified global approach has to be the starting point.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
terangi48 wrote:

Kind of yes and no

Are you saying the revenue a business makes from selling goods and services to customers does not fund their ability to generate said goods and services? Where exactly do you think these businesses get their money?

Not at all

I was saying the customers supply the revenue to the govt and the govt hands it out to customers

How they chose to do this dictates their policy

Labour THIS TERM have tended to waste the revenue

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:04 pm 

A government cannot be run like a business.

That is not to say a government should not be run efficiently, and be constantly looking for ways to improve their operations, reduce waste and also decrease the costs for the taxpayers.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:16 pm 

Auckman wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

nah I reckon it is starting to get invaded by organised hit groups of trolls organised by interest groups/political parties/russians/whoever, all designed to swing public opinion towards a particular point of view. Those anti-1080 loons are just one example. It doesn't take much for the NRA to organise "hit squads" of trolls to troll anti-gun law news articles or politicians deemed to be anti-gun control. That is all part of the political debate, although the FBI deems the russian hit squads as an interference in their election process and I reckon it is edging towards being dodgy.

The real worry is when terrorists use similar tactics. I am not on arabic facebook but I'm pretty sure ISIS has been doing similar hit jobs on arabic social media. Their whole recruitment strategy was online. White supremacists using social media for similar ends is not beyond the realms of possibility either. A unified global approach has to be the starting point.

There's an irony here that in the 2017 election Labour used Facebook extensively to proliferate anti-National memes with their "Backing the Kiwi Meme" campaign. It's probably naive to think that they don't also have social media teams who organise "hit squads" of people to flood comments sections in an effort to frame the narrative their way. Perhaps not to the same extent as the NRA but I bet it does happen.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm 

deadduck wrote:

There's an irony here that in the 2017 election Labour used Facebook extensively to proliferate anti-National memes with their "Backing the Kiwi Meme" campaign. It's probably naive to think that they don't also have social media teams who organise "hit squads" of people to flood comments sections in an effort to frame the narrative their way. Perhaps not to the same extent as the NRA but I bet it does happen.

I am willing to bet all the parties try and do that. National are probably the kings of that kind of stuff, simply because they have more money to spend. They had something like $4 million in donations in the last election; Labour $1.4 million from memory. However, America is probably where this kind of thing is at its absolute height.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm 

Auckman wrote:
deadduck wrote:

I am willing to bet all the parties try and do that. National are probably the kings of that kind of stuff, simply because they have more money to spend. They had something like $4 million in donations in the last election; Labour $1.4 million from memory. However, America is probably where this kind of thing is at its absolute height.

There are enough news articles around to suggest the practise is widespread. There's no irony in Labour having used it. It would be naive to suggest any party isn't.

it also has very little bearing on deciding on a need to act after a terrorist incident that deliberately used social media live streaming as an integral aspect of the terror act.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Auckman wrote:
deadduck wrote:

There are enough news articles around to suggest the practise is widespread. There's no irony in Labour having used it. It would be naive to suggest any party isn't.

it also has very little bearing on deciding on a need to act after a terrorist incident that deliberately used social media live streaming as an integral aspect of the terror act.

Where was 'The Raqqa Call' when Jihadi John was beheading western hostages on YouTube?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 pm 

Is this another of your cunning and devious uses of some whataboutery to back up your Hosking style hatred of the PM and her government?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm 

Auckman wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

:thumbup:

I must admit I went online to watch YouTube clips of 911 after visiting the Ground Zero Memorial in New York. I couldn't believe it seemed like about 80% of the clips were conspiracy theorists claiming it was an inside job by the US Govt, the planes were carrying missiles, Tower 7 was detonated separately etc.

So I accept what you're saying.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Is this another of your cunning and devious uses of some whataboutery to back up your Hosking style hatred of the PM and her government?

:lol:

I love Jacinda. The world needs more like her. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 741  Next