Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562 ... 741  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 am 

Excuse me if I sound insensitive for asking this, but which province or town do people think NZ's first community outbreak will take place?

I'm going to guess the South Auckland area.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:16 am 

booji boy wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

I don't think we should do that - ever seen a labourer at aged 60??

However, income testing national super should happen.

I am surrounded by over 60 , most over 70 who work every day in hard physical jobs and love every second .
Physical work is not age restricted... but I guess you have done a course or something 😊

Those are the ones who have survived with reasonable health. I know a lot of tradespeople who are broken by the time their mid 50s roll around, let alone 60s. It's mainly people who's work is physical with little variation in the type of physicality or are often required to do bursts of brutal work. Sitting on your bony arse in an air-conditioned tractor doesn't quite cut it as hard yakka.

Yeah cos farmers just sit in tractors all day :roll: Its arthritis that gets farmers .. all the cold wet stuff .
Had a 71 yo plumber in this week , bounced his way under the house . Maybe it’s a rural thing , Gary from up the road works for a contractor and is 79 and was moaning coz he was only getting 60
Hrs a week . I know a 63 yo shearer who can still put out 300 small ewes a day .... tell me more about these poor builders 😉

All these hard men are obviously Real Southern Men. How else can you explain these age defying work feats?

Yeah, Hareaway is not accounting for Jaffas, who skew the demographic. :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:17 am 

Personally I'm surprised there hasn't been more cases or evidence of community spread. But I'm guessing the weather has played a part. Christchurch for the last few weeks has been warm and dry, really only a couple of poor days this week. Exactly the kind of weather to inhibit the virus. Perhaps it's helped dodge a few bullets despite the international airport sort of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:18 am 

Tehui wrote:
Excuse me if I sound insensitive for asking this, but which province or town do people think NZ's first community outbreak will take place?

I would guess one of the tourist gateways.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
Personally I'm surprised there hasn't been more cases or evidence of community spread. But I'm guessing the weather has played a part. Christchurch for the last few weeks has been warm and dry, really only a couple of poor days this week. Exactly the kind of weather to inhibit the virus. Perhaps it's helped dodge a few bullets despite the international airport sort of thing.

Think it is probably more down to piss all testing up until a couple of days ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:21 am 

Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

I am surrounded by over 60 , most over 70 who work every day in hard physical jobs and love every second .
Physical work is not age restricted... but I guess you have done a course or something 😊

Those are the ones who have survived with reasonable health. I know a lot of tradespeople who are broken by the time their mid 50s roll around, let alone 60s. It's mainly people who's work is physical with little variation in the type of physicality or are often required to do bursts of brutal work. Sitting on your bony arse in an air-conditioned tractor doesn't quite cut it as hard yakka.

Yeah maybe farm work is different but most builders I know are physically f**ked by their mid fifties. If they haven't moved into a management or supervisory role they're screwed.

Harey doesn't work with the broken ones.

Spoiler: show

A coupla Hamilton ladies I know have got the bug. All I can say is stay away from the east side of the river.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:21 am 

Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Yeah maybe farm work is different but most builders I know are physically f**ked by their mid fifties. If they haven't moved into a management or supervisory role they're screwed.

Harey doesn't work with the broken ones.

why post silly pictures ? What exactly is your argument ?

Rural NZ gets up and goes to work ... just stay in bed bro ... my dad is 75 , works 7 days a week ... are you saying im making this up ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:22 am 

Flockwitt wrote:

From what I've read, the weather doesn't affect the transmission of the virus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:22 am 

Tehui wrote:

Really impossible to know. I'm guessing it's already happening but the infected just haven't been tested yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 am 

Tehui wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

It might affect how long it survives in the environment outside of a host. But I'm too lazy to google if that's the case here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:24 am 

booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Really impossible to know. I'm guessing it's already happening but the infected just haven't been tested yet.

Queenstown or Invercargill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:25 am 

It'll be one of the areas where those recent arrivals over the weekend and into this week (from the US especially) live. One of the higher income-areas as they're the people who can afford to be flying around from Europe and US in recent weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:26 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

It might affect how long it survives in the environment outside of a host. But I'm too lazy to google if that's the case here.

Yeah I had heard it doesn't survive long in temperatures over 27°C but that could just as easily be utter bollocks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:29 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I just saw that Queenstown is basically deserted without all the foreign tourists. There's never been a better time to get a Fergburger.

And who is going to make it ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:30 am 

Ted. wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:

All these hard men are obviously Real Southern Men. How else can you explain these age defying work feats?

A lot of Jaffa friends huh Ted? :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:33 am 

booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ted. wrote:

A lot of Jaffa friends huh Ted? :P

:nod:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:37 am 

There is still a lot of tourists around the southern lakes , most dont want to go home , cant blame them .
Not huge numbers but they are still here and i guess they have to stay now .
Mainly Europeans and younger American couples , tourist industry here in disarray, massive amounts of lay offs about to come .
The small players already pulled stumps . The big players Real Journeys,Southern discoveries etc are about to hit the wall .
This is bigger than foot and mouth , i guess you guys in the city are somewhat isolated ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:38 am 

Forgive me if incorrect and I see she's gone early on the borders but

Quote:
This is what will be announced tomorrow "apparently"

1. Ban on all religious, sporting, social and cultural gatherings. All business and religious premises to close. Exemption on groceries, public markets, provision stores. Restriction on mosques and Islamic events subject to Muzakarah meeting.

2. Nationwide travel restrictions on all citizens. Those who have just arrived from abroad must undergo self-quarantine.

3. All tourists and visitors barred from entry.

4. All public and private schools including kindergartens, nurseries, residential school and other educational institutions to close.

5. All private and public higher institutions of learning to close.

6. Closure of all government and private premises except essential services such as water and electricity, telecommunication, postal service, transport, fuel, gas, lubrication, broadcasting, banking, health, pharmacy, fire-fighting, ports, airports, prisons, security and defence, sanitary services, provision and food supply.

Some points in there I can't see happening but we're living in unprecedented times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 am 

Tehui wrote:

Chances are the most over populated by area.

A bit of a NZ blessing is there is piss all people to a relatively large country.

It is why China was screwed till they turned full on and Italy is now.

Could probably say the same thing about Aus outside the cities.

If you aren't all crammed in together you have less chance of getting someones dribble on you.

Italy's death rate is so high as they have the most old people per capita in the world btw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:47 am 

booji boy wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I just saw that Queenstown is basically deserted without all the foreign tourists. There's never been a better time to get a Fergburger.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:55 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Now we know that there's a likelihood that 10,000+ NZ families will end up with deaths, at what point is it obscene that we're spending $50M on Pike River?

Pike river is an absolute mess. Ridiculous how much money has been wasted on it.

All for something that is unlikely to achieve anything other than making the families who lost love ones maybe feel a bit better. Although you could make a good case that it's actually done the opposite by dragging out their chance for some sort of closure and the ability to move on.

It should have stayed closed as a permanent memorial site similar to what has happened for other disaster sites.

It's a bit astonishing that none of the families have put their hands up and said 'stop', spend the money on neonatal ICU, or a legal fund for workplace safety prosections, or subsidising startups on the Coast, or f**king ANYTHING useful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:18 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Now we know that there's a likelihood that 10,000+ NZ families will end up with deaths, at what point is it obscene that we're spending $50M on Pike River?

Pike river is an absolute mess. Ridiculous how much money has been wasted on it.

All for something that is unlikely to achieve anything other than making the families who lost love ones maybe feel a bit better. Although you could make a good case that it's actually done the opposite by dragging out their chance for some sort of closure and the ability to move on.

It should have stayed closed as a permanent memorial site similar to what has happened for other disaster sites.

It's a bit astonishing that none of the families have put their hands up and said 'stop', spend the money on neonatal ICU, or a legal fund for workplace safety prosections, or subsidising startups on the Coast, or f**king ANYTHING useful.

Not all the families actually want to go in and just want it closed with a memorial.

This doesn't get at much hits with the media though

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am 

JPNZ wrote:

Quote:

1. Ban on all religious, sporting, social and cultural gatherings. All business and religious premises to close. Exemption on groceries, public markets, provision stores. Restriction on mosques and Islamic events subject to Muzakarah meeting.

2. Nationwide travel restrictions on all citizens. Those who have just arrived from abroad must undergo self-quarantine.

4. All public and private schools including kindergartens, nurseries, residential school and other educational institutions to close.

6. Closure of all government and private premises except essential services such as water and electricity, telecommunication, postal service, transport, fuel, gas, lubrication, broadcasting, banking, health, pharmacy, fire-fighting, ports, airports, prisons, security and defence, sanitary services, provision and food supply.

Some points in there I can't see happening but we're living in unprecedented times

Where did you get this from?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 am 

JPNZ wrote:

Quote:

That looks like the set of rumours that have been doing the rounds in several countries. All the same I guess a number of them could easily end up applying in a number of countries in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am 

Dark wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

Think it is probably more down to piss all testing up until a couple of days ago.

But surely if there was widespread community spread we would be seeing previously undetected bad cases ending up in hospital by now?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:52 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

I can't say too much but close to the beehive. Some of it has happened though and its not the first time Ive heard of a major announcement tomorrow.

Guess we'll soon see

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:54 am 

Closing all businesses when there are less than 1000 cases let alone 28 would be ridiculous there's no way the Govt would do that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:56 am 

JPNZ wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

I can't say too much but close to the beehive.

OKm8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:56 am 

JPNZ wrote:

Quote:

That is a message from Malaysia from memory and is being used for other countries as trolling material.

Now I have no problem with humorous and harmless trolling, but currently it isn't a time for this shitty stuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:57 am 

Maniototo Man wrote:
Dark wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

But surely if there was widespread community spread we would be seeing previously undetected bad cases ending up in hospital by now?

Not just that but it's not the cold or flu season, right now anybody so much as sneezes and everybody's looking at them. Awareness of this has been high enough that anybody with any sort of symptoms over the last 3 weeks would have trundled off to check.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:57 am 

deadduck wrote:
Closing all businesses when there are less than 1000 cases let alone 28 would be ridiculous there's no way the Govt would do that

I agree wholeheartedly.

28 "reported" cases though, I'm certain community spread has already happened too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:58 am 

Dark wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Quote:

That is a message from Malaysia from memory and is being used for other countries as trolling material.

Now I have no problem with humorous and harmless trolling, but currently it isn't a time for this shitty stuff

Holy shit. A Dark post I agree with. There's so much non-NZ language in there. "residential school"? Lubrication? Do I need to stock up on KY?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 am 

I realise I've had pretty heavy anxiety about this whole gig and practically broke down watching Jacindas announcement.

We're not out the woods yet though. There's some work to do in achieving a zero infected count.
If we manage to get out of this without a body attributed here I'll be stunned. It's all I can look forward to though and it must be the priority.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:04 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
I realise I've had pretty heavy anxiety about this whole gig and practically broke down watching Jacindas announcement.

We're not out the woods yet though. There's some work to do in achieving a zero infected count.
If we manage to get out of this without a body attributed here I'll be stunned. It's all I can look forward to though and it must be the priority.

Can't see this happening long term. Had a heart to heart with my mother today and we both figured at some point, let's say 6 months down the track, we are going to have to say, okay, we've dodged the worst but now we've got just get on with contact with the rest of the world and take our licks. We can't stay locked out till a vaccine comes along who knows when unless we're very, very lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:05 am 

Maniototo Man wrote:
Dark wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

Depends on whether it hit any older population or precondition over populated areas.

It ain't that easy to get unless people are all crammed in

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:09 am 

sonic_attack wrote:

How is that even a possibility? This must make it's way through the populace, as slow as can be while not overloading the health system ( a hugely tough ask) and not bankrupting the country.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by mr bungle on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Dark wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Quote:

Holy shit. A Dark post I agree with. There's so much non-NZ language in there. "residential school"? Lubrication? Do I need to stock up on KY?

It's a hoax doing the rounds on Facebook. This is what caused the lockdown rumours and run on supermarkets today, they even showed a screen grab of it on the news.

I got three of my team (out of nine) advising me today that they had heard from their sisters, husbands mate who worked at ministry of education or some shit that the lockdown was definitely on.

One wanted to quit work early to rush to the supermarket :roll:

An hour later Jacinda's in front of the media having to dismiss it all.

Just listen to RNZ and go their and official govt websites FFS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 am 

Dark wrote:
Maniototo Man wrote:
Dark wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

Depends on whether it hit any older population or precondition over populated areas.

It ain't that easy to get unless people are all crammed in

Yeah that's why it has R0 counts over 2.5 and is exploding exponentially in developed modern economies with advanced healthcare systems. It is airborne, sits on surfaces for several hours, and is transmissable from asymptomatic carriers. Thanks Dr TMAB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562 ... 741  Next