Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563 ... 772  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:07 am 

mr bungle wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:
I realise I've had pretty heavy anxiety about this whole gig and practically broke down watching Jacindas announcement.

We're not out the woods yet though. There's some work to do in achieving a zero infected count.
If we manage to get out of this without a body attributed here I'll be stunned. It's all I can look forward to though and it must be the priority.

How is that even a possibility? This must make it's way through the populace, as slow as can be while overloading the health system ( a hugely tough ask) and not bankrupting the country.

We have 600,000 asthmatics. How are they all going to react to this virus? We need an effective vaccine. There's so much road to go but right now we need to survive. That's it just survive.

That world we lived in 2 weeks ago is gone. The global economy is decimated. This isn't a 6 month thing and we climb out. We are in serious trouble for a long time.

We need to see what happens in Europe and North America over the next 3-4 weeks before we consider what the bottom looks like for wealthy nations it's all the wealthy nations that have the virus and were basically f**ked. This hasn't even touch poor developing nations yet, they haven't even started.

This is so f**king bad that it'll change everything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am 

How you getting home now Eug?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:24 am 

My Carona :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/23169911720/po ... 156926721/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:25 am 

sonic_attack wrote:

On a plane I guess bro , he is a NZ citizen ... we are him 🙃

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 am 

Hareaway wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Just wondering he did say 10 days time about a half hour before Jacinda pulled up the drawbridge. Presumably an airnz flight as I don't imagine many others will be heading here to often now.

I wonder about the other Kiwis in far flung places. Must be looking like a very big world now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am 

Tbf Eug is probably not getting the news feed we are and he is just enjoying his well earned holiday in Japan and is in no great hurry to rush home. My goodness how quickly the world has changed in just 5 f**king days!

Eug if you're reading this mate just catch the first available flight home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 am 

Interesting stat from the Director-General of Health today. Three out of the 28 cases in NZ have required hospital-level care.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:44 am 

I assume there'll be a shit ton of kiwis in Japan so he should be ok but I certainly wouldn't be pissing round for 10 days. That's a lifetime at the moment and if it starts kicking off in Japan he could be quarantined quicker than you can say round eyed gaijin.

You really wouldn't want to be anywhere not on a direct AirNZ route at the moment.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/412 ... o-get-home

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:46 am 

Tehui wrote:
Interesting stat from the Director-General of Health today. Three out of the 28 cases in NZ have required hospital-level care.

In excess of 10% :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Tehui wrote:

In excess of 10% :uhoh:

I just became aware of this interesting table with a summary of the current cases. They're people coming to NZ from all parts of the globe.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/dis ... rent-cases

According to an interview given today, the Director-General of Health is going to be releasing predictive modeling figures tomorrow (Friday) for infection rates in NZ. He said most of the figures will provide an estimate of the virus' impact if we did nothing to manage the outbreak at all. I'm not really a stats geek, but it should be interesting viewing. All i know is that most of the European cases are doubling every 3-4 days. That's my proxy indicator.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:06 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Just wondering he did say 10 days time about a half hour before Jacinda pulled up the drawbridge. Presumably an airnz flight as I don't imagine many others will be heading here to often now.

I wonder about the other Kiwis in far flung places. Must be looking like a very big world now.

As said, Eug is a NZ citizen. Citizens and residents are good to go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am 

Ted. wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

As said, Eug is a NZ citizen. Citizens and residents are good to go.

Yes, but it’s a very long swim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 am 

Hareaway wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Excuse me if I sound insensitive for asking this, but which province or town do people think NZ's first community outbreak will take place?

I'm going to guess the South Auckland area.

Really impossible to know. I'm guessing it's already happening but the infected just haven't been tested yet.

Queenstown or Invercargill

Invercargill may just well be. There’s an expectation the outbreak would land in AKL and make its way down the country. But it’s arrived here pretty quickly courtesy of a well connected businessman on numerous boards, community groups and who has had multiple meetings since his return from the Gold Coast. A veritable super-spreader.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
I realise I've had pretty heavy anxiety about this whole gig and practically broke down watching Jacindas announcement.

We're not out the woods yet though. There's some work to do in achieving a zero infected count.
If we manage to get out of this without a body attributed here I'll be stunned. It's all I can look forward to though and it must be the priority.

What? You might need to call someone over and get a cuddle. We'll be lucky to get out of this without 10,000 deaths.

Unless you're whooshing me?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am 

Wonder how many billionaires with Wanaka bolt-holes didn't make tonight's cut-off?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:39 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Wonder how many billionaires with Wanaka bolt-holes didn't make tonight's cut-off?
Not a billionaire but I floated with my wife she and the kids should head to our place in QT to hunker down for a few months. Like most things she has just ignored me.

During SARS I sent her and the babies out of Singapore for a few weeks and played a lot of golf. That survival plan worked very well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:21 pm 
sonic_attack wrote:

NZ citizen , Air NZ flight still good .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm 
booji boy wrote:
Tbf Eug is probably not getting the news feed we are and he is just enjoying his well earned holiday in Japan and is in no great hurry to rush home. My goodness how quickly the world has changed in just 5 f**king days!

I am getting all the NZ news bro .

If Air NZ start making noises about cancelling all flights .... sure .

But I’m checking regularly and ours are still unaffected.

Services between Auckland and Narita will be suspended from 30 March until 30 June.

We leave on the 29th !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:05 pm 
FBI ( I think )

And no .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 pm 

eugenius wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Services between Auckland and Narita will be suspended from 30 March until 30 June.

We leave on the 29th !!!

Ok well good luck. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:10 pm 

booji boy wrote:
eugenius wrote:
booji boy wrote:

We leave on the 29th !!!

Ok well good luck. :thumbup:

Let me know if you need anything dropped round to your place while self-isolating eugenius :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:34 pm 

sonic_attack wrote:

What? You might need to call someone over and get a cuddle. We'll be lucky to get out of this without 10,000 deaths.

Nah I doubt we are reaching over 200 cases overall-less than 10 deaths. They've petted much eradicated it from NZ now. I also dont see anyone with flu conditions or symptoms atm so we are good. Imo borders will re-open in 16 days .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:02 pm 

Best wishes for the trip back to the jewel of the south Eugenius.......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:35 pm 
Looking good - 👌🏼

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:59 am 

So my wife has heard back from Healthline and her offer to do some shifts to help with the backlog has been rejected because she wanted to do it from home (which is where she used to do it) Genuinely puzzling
There is now a 3 hour waiting time for them to call you back they are that swamped, her former work colleagues are furious that head office has said no.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:04 am 

11 more cases in New Zealand in the last 24 hours. Total is now 39

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:16 am 

Tuivasa wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Nah I doubt we are reaching over 200 cases overall-less than 10 deaths. They've petted much eradicated it from NZ now. I also dont see anyone with flu conditions or symptoms atm so we are good. Imo borders will re-open in 16 days .

Yeah but then again you're the f**king idiot that thinks it's all a plot by the US military :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:17 am 

jambanja wrote:
So my wife has heard back from Healthline and her offer to do some shifts to help with the backlog has been rejected because she wanted to do it from home (which is where she used to do it) Genuinely puzzling
There is now a 3 hour waiting time for them to call you back they are that swamped, her former work colleagues are furious that head office has said no.

Insane. Email RNZ.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
jambanja wrote:

Insane. Email RNZ.

Possibly because the official advice is changing constantly so they want everyone on location?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:30 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
jambanja wrote:

Insane. Email RNZ.

Possibly because the official advice is changing constantly so they want everyone on location?

Could be, although all her former work colleagues are still working from home. They have a reasonable internal chat platform where any changes can be easily communicated

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:42 am 

When something sounds this dumb, there’s normally a reason...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:12 am 

Hold on a second..it's all very good saying "mitigate spread" and "wash your hands" in NZ and Aus.

How about if this stuff gets into India..or South Africa..particularly soweto etc...or the entire african continent for thart matter..

...or Latin America etc...like Brazil.

Yes I realise they already have some sickness and death from flu etc..but this is more powerful.

could be a bloodbath in some spots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:21 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
It's already in those places

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:29 am 

ABfan! wrote:
Hold on a second..it's all very good saying "mitigate spread" and "wash your hands" in NZ and Aus.

How about if this stuff gets into India..or South Africa..particularly soweto etc...or the entire african continent for thart matter..

...or Latin America etc...like Brazil.

Yes I realise they already have some sickness and death from flu etc..but this is more powerful.

could be a bloodbath in some spots.

Do you even news bro?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:30 am 

Enzedder wrote:
It's already in those places

Absolutely. I am willing to bet it is already piling up a body count that has barely been recognised.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:30 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

You'd hope so because on the face of it it sounds spectacularly dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:39 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

Well it's a government department.
That would be the normal explanation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:59 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

You'd hope so because on the face of it it sounds spectacularly dumb.

Logic and reason do seem to be the first victims when this group think panic takes over.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:00 am 

BillW wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Well it's a government department.
That would be the normal explanation.

Either that, or unions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:26 am 

Rather alarmingly, I see absolutely nothing about Auckland city to suggest anything other than a full blown outbreak in record time when this does let go.

Ive given my Mrs a box of 3 ply masks to wear to work and share with the other ladies. She works in a Cafe bakery in Epsom. On the till, whipping up espresso etc. I did have her question her boss the other day about the masks and she was told that "Masks will scare the Kiwi's". Clientele are your typical Epsom retiree's 70+.

If attitudes don't change immediately, I have pretty grave concern. Not that I place a great deal of faith in the masks anyway but something is better than nothing, and we must be seen to be attempting a level of cooperation or determination.

If it causes drama I'll tell the old plum to sell her own f**king donuts and get the Mrs a better job closer to home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563 ... 772  Next