Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 4:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 736  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15899
booji boy wrote:
Former prime minister Mike Moore passes away.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/11921029 ... es-aged-71


Another sign that we're all getting older.

RIP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5436
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
He makes it sound like they are deliberately going out of their way to distort the truth when the graph presents exactly what it says it does. It’s entirely reasonable to include super, and entirely reasonable to exclude recycled capital.

Have you seen National’s graphs on fuel taxes? Take a look at those for a lesson in misleading graphs.


Yep he covered those too https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/12/bad_nat_stat.html


Ah he did. Did you link to those too? I must have missed it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 pm
Posts: 572
Wilderbeast wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
He makes it sound like they are deliberately going out of their way to distort the truth when the graph presents exactly what it says it does. It’s entirely reasonable to include super, and entirely reasonable to exclude recycled capital.

Have you seen National’s graphs on fuel taxes? Take a look at those for a lesson in misleading graphs.


Yep he covered those too https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/12/bad_nat_stat.html


Ah he did. Did you link to those too? I must have missed it.


Odd, I did link to it and you quoted it and now you say you missed it.

Am I missing something here?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6061
Location: Vandean Coast
Kahu wrote:

There was a koha-based economy, free healthcare, free daycare, native forest regeneration, zero waste, generous sharing of kai and resources and jobs that were based around what you can give rather than measured by expectations. I know a world like this can exist and I’ve experienced it now. We’ll be seeing more of this as Māori begin to exercise tino rangatiratanga more.



It's a well studied phenomenon that when societies grow larger, the barter economy begins to break down.
People can live very successfully, as described above, in small communities but if you try and run Auckland that way it wouldn't last a day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5436
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
He makes it sound like they are deliberately going out of their way to distort the truth when the graph presents exactly what it says it does. It’s entirely reasonable to include super, and entirely reasonable to exclude recycled capital.

Have you seen National’s graphs on fuel taxes? Take a look at those for a lesson in misleading graphs.


Yep he covered those too https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/12/bad_nat_stat.html


Ah he did. Did you link to those too? I must have missed it.


Odd, I did link to it and you quoted it and now you say you missed it.

Am I missing something here?


I mean you linked to Farrar’s piece on labour’s graph saying it was shocking. I assume you did the same when Farrar posted on the National graph? I.e. not in response to me but as an actual contribution to the thread? You seem to care about how parties present facts in graphs after all...

In all fairness, you may have actually done this, but I don’t recall seeing it. Hence my post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 pm
Posts: 572
Wilderbeast wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
He makes it sound like they are deliberately going out of their way to distort the truth when the graph presents exactly what it says it does. It’s entirely reasonable to include super, and entirely reasonable to exclude recycled capital.

Have you seen National’s graphs on fuel taxes? Take a look at those for a lesson in misleading graphs.


Yep he covered those too https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/12/bad_nat_stat.html


Ah he did. Did you link to those too? I must have missed it.


Odd, I did link to it and you quoted it and now you say you missed it.

Am I missing something here?


I mean you linked to Farrar’s piece on labour’s graph saying it was shocking. I assume you did the same when Farrar posted on the National graph? I.e. not in response to me but as an actual contribution to the thread? You seem to care about how parties present facts in graphs after all...

In all fairness, you may have actually done this, but I don’t recall seeing it. Hence my post.


I didn't at the time but I did to back up your comment about how misleading they were. I'm not sure what exactly you expect from me, most people here only seem to post stuff that about either how awful the party they don't support is orhow awesome the party they do support is.
Not why you expect me to be held to a different standard to everyone else , its pretty rare to see anyone here criticise their own party and most labour fanboys response to the creepy behaviour towards young party members it to ignore it or post random drivel at me when I mention it and never address the issue.




Anyway Mike Moore passed today I've always wondered how different things might have been if he got given the top job when Lange quit rather than Palmer , he seemed like a genuinely decent man and I doubt we will ever see anyone go from being a school leaver at 14 to being pm again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5436
Some of us don’t “have a team” Harvey. I guess that’s the difference here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Wilderbeast wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
He makes it sound like they are deliberately going out of their way to distort the truth when the graph presents exactly what it says it does. It’s entirely reasonable to include super, and entirely reasonable to exclude recycled capital.

Have you seen National’s graphs on fuel taxes? Take a look at those for a lesson in misleading graphs.


Yep he covered those too https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2019/12/bad_nat_stat.html


Ah he did. Did you link to those too? I must have missed it.


Odd, I did link to it and you quoted it and now you say you missed it.

Am I missing something here?


I mean you linked to Farrar’s piece on labour’s graph saying it was shocking. I assume you did the same when Farrar posted on the National graph? I.e. not in response to me but as an actual contribution to the thread? You seem to care about how parties present facts in graphs after all...

In all fairness, you may have actually done this, but I don’t recall seeing it. Hence my post.


Pretty sure govt party issues get posted more because they are like, you know, the govt.

So the Nats got most of the criticism for their 9 years, Clark for hers.

Same reason most media time is given to them.

90% of the time opposition parties opinions and actions are kind of irrelevant.

Having said that it will pick up for them this year as there is an election.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 pm
Posts: 572
Wilderbeast wrote:
Some of us don’t “have a team” Harvey. I guess that’s the difference here.


Who else “ doesn’t have a team here”? Do you really call out every party equally?

I’ve got no problem praising the last labour government for their achievements and trying to put things in place for the country’s future that are pretty rare in today’s political environment. The current lot are a pathetic shadow of the 1999- 2008 team though .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Bridges rules out working with the dodgy xenophobic dude.

Idiot should have done it ages ago.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/40 ... government

Quote:
Simon Bridges rules out working with New Zealand First to form a government

National Party leader Simon Bridges has ruled out working with New Zealand First in any potential government after this year's election.

Bridges made the announcement on the opening day of the party's caucus retreat in Havelock North on Sunday.

In a statement provided to media, Bridges said he did not trust New Zealand First and the public could not either.

"I don't believe we can work with NZ First and have a constructive trusting relationship.

"When National was negotiating in good faith with NZ First after the last election, its leader was suing key National MPs and staff."

Bridges said, with today's announcement, voters had a clear choice and certainty about what they would get at the ballot box.

"A vote for NZ First is a vote for Labour and the Greens," Bridges said.

"A vote for National will mean more money in your pocket, more transport infrastructure and safety for your family. We will get things done."

Bridges also indicated that National would again be open to working with the ACT Party, saying they had previously shared a "constructive working relationship".

Arriving at the venue, National deputy Paula Bennett earlier told reporters she did not trust the Deputy Prime Minister given the legal action.

"I find it really hard [to trust him], actually."

Asked to describe Peters in one word, Northcote MP Dan Bidois said "gone".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5436
Good call by Simon :thumbup:

Now we need Jacinda to do the same :thumbup: :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2172
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.

I also don't like this FPTP sort of mentality to MMP governments. Historically, these smaller parties tend to lend the brake on extremes of policy. ACT aren't going to provide that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Gordon Bennett wrote:

I also don't like this FPTP sort of mentality to MMP governments. Historically, these smaller parties tend to lend the brake on extremes of policy. ACT aren't going to provide that.




That is fantastic, and get what you mean, but in what possible scenario could you have seen Peters going with the Nats after the election?

He would basically be saying that NZF has been part of a shit government for 3 years and have achieved nothing, so are going with the other lot?

It is ludicrous to even think it a possibility in my modest opinion.

Bridge's should have ruled Peters out the day after the last election was decided and Peters picked Labour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2172
I could see an outside chance of a scenario where NZ First tries to play hardball with Labour, Bridges gets rolled and a different leader for National who is willing and able to work with Winston. Very much an outside bet, I concede, as that's a very narrow scenario where National have done well enough to gain power with Winston, but badly enough that they're happy to roll Bridges.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Gordon Bennett wrote:
I could see an outside chance of a scenario where NZ First tries to play hardball with Labour, Bridges gets rolled and a different leader for National who is willing and able to work with Winston. Very much an outside bet, I concede, as that's a very narrow scenario where National have done well enough to gain power with Winston, but badly enough that they're happy to roll Bridges.



Fair call, but can't see it.

What I see is Labour (Well Ardern) having to gift NZF a seat and break her mostest open and transparent, honest election evers I tells ya, promise last week, or NZF going bye byes again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 am
Posts: 3346
Dark wrote:
Bridge's should have ruled Peters out the day after the last election was decided and Peters picked Labour.


Billy should have ruled him out at the beginning of the election campaign. Cracked me up my friends who voted for him thinking he would go with National when I'd been telling them their was no way in hell he was going to go onto coalition with Billy.

I reckon National have a real shot at becoming the first one party government under MMP if they play their cards right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4088
Dark wrote:
Bridge's should have ruled Peters out the day after the last election was decided and Peters picked Labour.


That wasn't Bridges' call to make.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Dark wrote:
Bridge's should have ruled Peters out the day after the last election was decided and Peters picked Labour.


That wasn't Bridges' call to make.



True, but it would have shown some balls for once.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:05 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6229
Wilderbeast wrote:
Good call by Simon :thumbup:

Now we need Jacinda to do the same :thumbup: :thumbup:

Agreed. Play your cards early and make it clear to the voters what they're getting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15899
What an interesting announcement that Brudges & National has made. I can't recall any major party doing this ahead of the election during the MMP environment. It's too early to tell whether this decision will benefit or hurt National, but I do know that it will hurt NZF's bargaining leverage in the post-election period.

Gordon Bennett wrote:
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.


Totally agree.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15899
Dark wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Dark wrote:
Bridge's should have ruled Peters out the day after the last election was decided and Peters picked Labour.


That wasn't Bridges' call to make.



True, but it would have shown some balls for once.


Um...Bridges wasn't the Party leader then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Posts: 6733
Location: NZ
Tehui wrote:
What an interesting announcement that Brudges & National has made. I can't recall any major party doing this ahead of the election during the MMP environment. It's too early to tell whether this decision will benefit or hurt National, but I do know that it will hurt NZF's bargaining leverage in the post-election period.

Gordon Bennett wrote:
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.


Totally agree.

Key ruled out working with NZF before a couple of elections didn’t he? Although, maybe not this far out and out with the luxury of the Maori Party, Act and United Future as potential partners.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6061
Location: Vandean Coast
NZ's MMP is broken.

The likes of NZF should be, as was previously noted, dampening the radical elements of the major parties. But because we've now got effectively one middle party, that party can hold the others to ransom.

For the system to work properly we need at least 7 parties and no one party bigger than about 40%


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
deadduck wrote:
NZ's MMP is broken.

The likes of NZF should be, as was previously noted, dampening the radical elements of the major parties. But because we've now got effectively one middle party, that party can hold the others to ransom.

For the system to work properly we need at least 7 parties and no one party bigger than about 40%


Agree. But still don't see how Peters would admit the COL have been shit with him as DP and gone with National in the next election.

Easier to get the obvious over and done with and tell any delusional people thinking he might do know he can piss off


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37132
Mixed views on Mike Moore. Watching that interview Harveys posted. Very self-confident guy, not necessarily wrong, open to learning, but his mind seemed chaotic. I recall reading a book of his that started "As Socrates wrote, 'an unexamined life is not worth living'."

He was the last of the old breed of blokey Australasian leaders who got themselves great lives by just pushing themselves forward. Helen Clark clearly wasn't too impressed by that as a supposed qualification.

But he got himself a charmed post NZ career, so he had the last laugh I guess, though he still seemed to nurse grievances.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8227
Tehui wrote:
What an interesting announcement that Brudges & National has made. I can't recall any major party doing this ahead of the election during the MMP environment. It's too early to tell whether this decision will benefit or hurt National, but I do know that it will hurt NZF's bargaining leverage in the post-election period.

Gordon Bennett wrote:
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.


Totally agree.


John Key did it in 2008 but that was in light of the Owen Glen donation scandal where Winston kept belligerently denying he had received a donation from Owen Glen so Glen showed up with documentary evidence to prove Winston was lying through his teeth as usual.

Peters played his hand very poorly that time around and it cost him in the 2008 election.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 540
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
What an interesting announcement that Brudges & National has made. I can't recall any major party doing this ahead of the election during the MMP environment. It's too early to tell whether this decision will benefit or hurt National, but I do know that it will hurt NZF's bargaining leverage in the post-election period.

Gordon Bennett wrote:
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.


Totally agree.


John Key did it in 2008 but that was in light of the Owen Glen donation scandal where Winston kept belligerently denying he had received a donation from Owen Glen so Glen showed up with documentary evidence to prove [/b] Winston was lying through his teeth as usual.[\b]

Peters played his hand very poorly that time around and it cost him in the 2008 election.


I was so happy when the duplicitous lying prick failed in 08 to continue his supping at the trough. Got to give him credit for rising from the dead but he is poison.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2109
Location: Well South
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Mixed views on Mike Moore. Watching that interview Harveys posted. Very self-confident guy, not necessarily wrong, open to learning, but his mind seemed chaotic. I recall reading a book of his that started "As Socrates wrote, 'an unexamined life is not worth living'."

He was the last of the old breed of blokey Australasian leaders who got themselves great lives by just pushing themselves forward. Helen Clark clearly wasn't too impressed by that as a supposed qualification.

But he got himself a charmed post NZ career, so he had the last laugh I guess, though he still seemed to nurse grievances.


At times he seemed to alternate between his brain running ahead of his mouth and his mouth running ahead of his brain. Definitely one of the characters of NZ politics and came through a heck of an interesting period.

I read at least one of his books - I think it was Hard Labour. Given he wrote that when he was still in his 30s it was extraordinary what he had jammed into those years - including beating cancer.

He told the story of trying to get the nomination for Mangere but some guy called David Lange turned up. As soon as Lange opened his mouth Moore knew he was screwed and was going to have to pack his carpet bag and head for another seat. From all accounts he served the people of Papanui well.

I must go back and listen to the interview with him on the RNZ series The 9th Floor. https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-9th-floor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3359
One of these major parties need to legalise cannibis to get my vote.

I don't believe in two party majority systems, fudge them both!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Awesome work. Truely awesome

Our government shows its great management again

:?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... urner.html



Quote:
Government puts major kauri dieback plan on the backburner

Newshub can reveal the Government's put a major plan to control kauri dieback on the backburner.

Two years after it said we need a plan to tackle the disease, official documents show that plan's been stalled because the funding hasn't been signed off.

They're giants of the forest - some thousands of years old.

But some children may never see kauri forests if kauri dieback - a fatal disease with no known cure - isn't stopped.

The only way to protect trees is to stop it spreading.

"Everyone has been concerned for some time about kauri dieback and the impact on our conservation estate," says Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.

Documents released under the Official Information Act show Biosecurity Minister Damien O'Connor approved a Kauri Dieback National Pest Management Plan last August. It just needed funding.

But five months later, there is no sign of it. There's been some funding - but not for the full-blown response.

Campaigners say they're beyond frustrated with the stalling.

"You couldn't disappoint me any more with that. Our one point of difference with the rest of the world is our unique indigenous vegetation and this Government is standing by and watching it die every single day and not doing anything about it," says Tree Council secretary Mels Barton.

A pest management plan would unite the country's patchy response, giving the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) more compliance powers and secure funding.

But instead of funding that coordinated plan, O'Connor told Newshub the Government's decided to focus in the immediate term on front-line action.

And O'Connor has abandoned the timeline MPI was aiming for. In 2018, MPI told Newshub it was aiming for a mid-2019 implementation of the plan. Despite the delay, and the decision to focus on "front-line action", O'Connor's office says the pest management plan has not been abandoned.

"All New Zealanders, whatever of their politics would say that's an absolute tragedy for probably what is our most iconic, recognisable tree," says National leader Simon Bridges. "[It's] not good enough."

A plan that would ramp up the kauri dieback response is at the Government's fingertips - it only needs to loosen the purse strings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Couch wrote:
One of these major parties need to legalise cannibis to get my vote.

I don't believe in two party majority systems, fudge them both!


It is being decided.

By the referendum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8927
This Northland talk has got me interested about that part of the world. Whenever I hear about Northland, it is supposed to be this depressed region, full of unemployment, meth labs, third-world housing and roading and then I see they've been voting National (and predecessors of National) for 150 years.

The place must be farmer country then if it is such a blue seat. Or do even the Maori voters vote National up there? How come not much money has been spent up there all these years? Maybe if they get that Ngapuhi treaty settlement sorted, those hapu can pour in the dosh like what Tainui have done in the Waikato???

Why is Labour even fighting an election there?. They should just go for the party vote and do a deal. Uncle Google says Labour has only won one 3yr term there in 1972 and another one-term wonder in 1938. That's it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32540
Location: in transit
Northland is a jewel. I really like it, it’s a beautiful part of the country. There’s a massive slab of relatively wealthy farming types and ‘coast changers’ in the region though, as a few locals admitted to me last summer you’ve got two distinct types of Northlander and the cliche of Maori filling the region is outdated. They’re outnumbered by complacent conservatives happy with the status quo so long as they get the roads built.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 pm
Posts: 572
Auckman wrote:
This Northland talk has got me interested about that part of the world. Whenever I hear about Northland, it is supposed to be this depressed region, full of unemployment, meth labs, third-world housing and roading and then I see they've been voting National (and predecessors of National) for 150 years.

The place must be farmer country then if it is such a blue seat. Or do even the Maori voters vote National up there? How come not much money has been spent up there all these years? Maybe if they get that Ngapuhi treaty settlement sorted, those hapu can pour in the dosh like what Tainui have done in the Waikato???

Why is Labour even fighting an election there?. They should just go for the party vote and do a deal. Uncle Google says Labour has only won one 3yr term there in 1972 and another one-term wonder in 1938. That's it.


A decent amount of the locals would be on the Maori roll wouldn’t they ? Kelvin Davis is pretty safe there I would have thought


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3359
Brabus wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
What an interesting announcement that Brudges & National has made. I can't recall any major party doing this ahead of the election during the MMP environment. It's too early to tell whether this decision will benefit or hurt National, but I do know that it will hurt NZF's bargaining leverage in the post-election period.

Gordon Bennett wrote:
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.


Totally agree.


John Key did it in 2008 but that was in light of the Owen Glen donation scandal where Winston kept belligerently denying he had received a donation from Owen Glen so Glen showed up with documentary evidence to prove [/b] Winston was lying through his teeth as usual.[\b]

Peters played his hand very poorly that time around and it cost him in the 2008 election.


I was so happy when the duplicitous lying prick failed in 08 to continue his supping at the trough. Got to give him credit for rising from the dead but he is poison.

The growing majority of this board (over 60s) should be praising Peters for giving you silver spoon boomers a gold card pass.

Ungrateful pricks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8227
Couch wrote:
Brabus wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
What an interesting announcement that Brudges & National has made. I can't recall any major party doing this ahead of the election during the MMP environment. It's too early to tell whether this decision will benefit or hurt National, but I do know that it will hurt NZF's bargaining leverage in the post-election period.

Gordon Bennett wrote:
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.


Totally agree.


John Key did it in 2008 but that was in light of the Owen Glen donation scandal where Winston kept belligerently denying he had received a donation from Owen Glen so Glen showed up with documentary evidence to prove [/b] Winston was lying through his teeth as usual.[\b]

Peters played his hand very poorly that time around and it cost him in the 2008 election.


I was so happy when the duplicitous lying prick failed in 08 to continue his supping at the trough. Got to give him credit for rising from the dead but he is poison.

The growing majority of this board (over 60s) should be praising Peters for giving you silver spoon boomers a gold card pass.

Ungrateful pricks


I've already been thanking him for the past year for vetoing Jacinda's Capital Gains Tax. 8) :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4816
Location: NZ
Dodgy Winston is in the shit

Secret donations go from the police to the SFO in one day

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/polit ... stigation/

Quote:
NZ First to review donations process after SFO invovlement

New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters says his party will review the way it handles its party donations after complaints about its donations was referred to the Police, then the Serious Fraud Office (SFO).

In a statement this afternoon, Peters said he welcomed the Electoral Commission referring the complaints to the Police.

"It confirms our prior view that only the police would have the powers to determine the issues involved."

Soon after Commission referred the matter to the Police, the Police referred it to the SFO.

"At this stage the SFO will consider if an offence has been committed, or otherwise, and it is not appropriate to make any comment on specific detail that prejudges their investigation," Peters said.

Peters has always denied any wrongdoing.

"New Zealand First's arrangements for collecting donations has been the same as other political parties. The New Zealand First Foundation is built upon the trust deed of the National Party," he said.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:07 am 
He’ll be hard pressed to best Simple Simons buddies already charged.

‘ I knew nothing ‘.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:13 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16809
Couch wrote:
Brabus wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
What an interesting announcement that Brudges & National has made. I can't recall any major party doing this ahead of the election during the MMP environment. It's too early to tell whether this decision will benefit or hurt National, but I do know that it will hurt NZF's bargaining leverage in the post-election period.

Gordon Bennett wrote:
I don't like Winston, but it seems a little revisionist of some of the Nats there to be focusing on Peters' litigation regarding the release of his superannuation details. That was a pretty poor smear campaign in the first place and to try and then use that Nats-created issue to score political points is pretty grubby.


Totally agree.


John Key did it in 2008 but that was in light of the Owen Glen donation scandal where Winston kept belligerently denying he had received a donation from Owen Glen so Glen showed up with documentary evidence to prove [/b] Winston was lying through his teeth as usual.[\b]

Peters played his hand very poorly that time around and it cost him in the 2008 election.


I was so happy when the duplicitous lying prick failed in 08 to continue his supping at the trough. Got to give him credit for rising from the dead but he is poison.

The growing majority of this board (over 60s) should be praising Peters for giving you silver spoon boomers a gold card pass.

Ungrateful pricks

booji boy wrote:
I've already been thanking him for the past year for vetoing Jacinda's Capital Gains Tax. 8) :thumbup:


Most moronic, ham fisted, expedient move in NZ politics in recent memory.

Selfishness and the 3 year election cycle wins yet again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 pm
Posts: 572
eugenius wrote:
He’ll be hard pressed to best Simple Simons buddies already charged.

‘ I knew nothing ‘.


You know the details of both cases? Awesome ,enlighten the rest of us please.

Unless......


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 736  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Farva, Flockwitt, sonic_attack, Ted., TQoET, True Blue, Wignu, Working Class Rugger and 64 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group