NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Re: NZ Politics Thread - NEW ZEALAND LOCKDOWN THREAD

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Fat Old Git wrote:It's a lovely drop. I'm quite tempted.
It sent me over the top at the Dunedin craft beer festival last November. I was fair flying prior to that, but according to my friends, I started miming rather than speaking once I had that and (quite randomly) a glass/cup of red wine...
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Kahu wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Sorry for your wallet’s loss.
Considering the quality, Alcohol % and cost of drinking in a licensed premise in NZ that's a reasonable price.
Doesn’t stop me buying it either. It’s great. I haven’t succumbed to the temptation to get beers delivered. Could easily blow $500 on 4-5 slabs of the good stuff.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

mr bungle wrote:
Kahu wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Considering the quality, Alcohol % and cost of drinking in a licensed premise in NZ that's a reasonable price.
Doesn’t stop me buying it either. It’s great. I haven’t succumbed to the temptation to get beers delivered. Could easily blow $500 on 4-5 slabs of the good stuff.
I weakened today and ordered some spirits online, have been drinking beer (cheap) & cider but just doesn't really cut the mustard and end up feeling bloated with them.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
It sent me over the top at the Dunedin craft beer festival last November. I was fair flying prior to that, but according to my friends, I started miming rather than speaking once I had that and (quite randomly) a glass/cup of red wine...
Red wine at a beer festival? :shock:
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Fat Old Git wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Red wine at a beer festival? :shock:
My faculties had largely evacuated by then....
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Not sure if it's been touched on, but some more positive news to go with the low numbers of new cases: was reading an article earlier today (may have been on stuff?) which mentioned that 144 of the 169 new cases from the previous 10 days belonged to defined clusters. Which is a very low number outside of the known groups (and a lot of the "probable" cases in those are likely to be people who were inevitably going to get it, by sharing bubbles with someone infected). :thumbup:
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

mr bungle wrote:
Kahu wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Just took delivery of two dozen McLeods 802. :smug: :smug: :D
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

mr bungle wrote:
Kahu wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Just took delivery of two dozen McLeods 802. :smug: :smug: :D
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Love the 802 series. Which one have you got?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Enzedder wrote:We've had great news as well. They had warned us around 10pm that they didn't expect Roy to make it thru the night. The cheeky bugger then slept like a baby and has woken up much improved this morning - we have even been able to have a chat which is very reassuring.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

A little birdy at the Auckland Council thinks they've been given a pretty good idea of what is going to happen on Monday. Apparently, the good money is on NZ staying at Level 4 for another 2 weeks and then down to Level 3 for six months. Cabinet is apparently split on whether to go to lvl 3 immediately or maintain lvl 4 for a few more weeks.

Means SFA of course but what's a lockdown without a little bit of specumalation.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

6 months at #3 closes every restaurant and takeaways in the land. Can't happen
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Enzedder wrote:6 months at #3 closes every restaurant and takeaways in the land. Can't happen
Plus a lot more smaller businesses as well I'd wager :frown:
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Agree - physiotherapists at work are all on Zoom - fat lot of good that is
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

You could easily justify another 2 weeks at level 4 given the results we're seeing, but 6 months at level 3? I'd be very surprised if they had such a long timeframe in mind right from the beginning. I would expect an initial 2 weeks at level three with a weekly reassessment based on what sort of results we see.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Can you get a delivery of Murder of Crows at the moment? That would be one way of staying nicely mullered throughout lockdown.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Auckman wrote:A little birdy at the Auckland Council thinks they've been given a pretty good idea of what is going to happen on Monday. Apparently, the good money is on NZ staying at Level 4 for another 2 weeks and then down to Level 3 for six months.
Yeah, that's not happening. Particularly setting down a length of time for Level 3. That goes completely against them responding as required to the data.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Yeah, 6 months at level 3 would wipe out a whole lot of retail businesses as well - not everyone is capable/suited for click-and-collect. And all domestic tourism (though that may end up being a necessary casualty, even at level 2).
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Yeah I never really bought the six months at level three bit. That is just nuts tbh.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Auckman wrote:A little birdy at the Auckland Council thinks they've been given a pretty good idea of what is going to happen on Monday. Apparently, the good money is on NZ staying at Level 4 for another 2 weeks and then down to Level 3 for six months. Cabinet is apparently split on whether to go to lvl 3 immediately or maintain lvl 4 for a few more weeks.

Means SFA of course but what's a lockdown without a little bit of specumalation.

That's not going to happen (level 3 as currently defined)

We need to get the country working again. Level 2, 3, or 4 doesn't really matter. We need to change what the levels mean every week by constantly working on getting businesses open safely.

We can't wait for elimination, vaccination, or herd immunity because we don't know when any of them will or can happen.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

You can bet that whatever happens over the next 3 months, that we'll have to listen to all the 'hindsight experts' just like we do in rugby, saying that government should have zigged instead of zagged, etc.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Being at level 3 for months on end you may as well burn the country to the ground and start all over

Because the effect will be the same. And it literally might be the same once the civil disorder grows.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Tehui wrote:You can bet that whatever happens over the next 3 months, that we'll have to listen to all the 'hindsight experts' just like we do in rugby, saying that government should have zigged instead of zagged, etc.

It's what normal, intelligent, curious people do. Everybody has an opinion about whether the bombs should have been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki too.
Last edited by Sonny Blount on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Sonny Blount wrote:
Tehui wrote:You can bet that whatever happens over the next 3 months, that we'll have to listen to all the 'hindsight experts' just like we do in rugby, saying that government should have zigged instead of zagged, etc.

It's what normal, intelligent, curious people do. Everybody has an opinion about whether the bombs should have been dropped on Hiroshima too.
I knew you were going to say that.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Hopefully some real experts will be doing just that to work out what we could do better next time, and not just the usual media commentators.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tehui wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

It's what normal, intelligent, curious people do. Everybody has an opinion about whether the bombs should have been dropped on Hiroshima too.
:lol: :thumbup:
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Car score update. Adding 12 hour totals.

Thurs....585 7020
Fri ……...582 6984
Sat...…..460 5520
Sun...… 385. 4620
Mon...….606 7272
Tues......703 8436
Wed...… 633 7596
Thurs....621 7452
Fri...…… 626. 7512
Sat...…...555. 6660
Sun...…..468. 5616
Mon...…..692. 8304
Tues.......792. 9504
Wed...…..804. 9648
Thurs.....798. 9576
Fri...……..276. 3312
Sat...…….536. 6432
Sun...…...396. 4752
Mon...…...478. 5736
Tues...…..872. 10464.
Wed...…..784. 9408
Thurs.....740. 8880
Fri………….748 9076
Sat...…….576 6912
Sun...…...468. 5616
Last edited by obelixtim on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Sonny Blount wrote:

It was only one. Little Boy.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

booji boy wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

Bit on the nose isn't? Calling Sonny "little boy"?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Flockwitt wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

Bit on the nose isn't? Calling Sonny "little boy"?
:D
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

booji boy wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

I've fixed it for you.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Tehui wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

Your post was equally predictable.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Sonny Blount wrote:

It's what normal, intelligent, curious people do. Everybody has an opinion about whether the bombs should have been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki too.
Well given the way the Japanese fought to the death in Iwo Jima and Okinawa a land based invasion of Japan would have been an absolute bloodbath. I think the use of the atomic bomb was justified in the circumstances.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

booji boy wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

Well given the way the Japanese fought to the death in Iwo Jima and Okinawa a land based invasion of Japan would have been an absolute bloodbath. I think the use of the atomic bomb was justified in the circumstances.
Without the A-bombs, any US hesitancy over invading would have seen the Soviets doing so. Red Army Rapefest 2.0. This time it’s sideways.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

What do people think of the Greens idea to stimulate the economy by building massive high speed rail networks?

Good idea in principle but like all of these infrastructure projects its not easy to see how it really helps people who've lost their jobs or small businesses who've had to close, and surely it will also act to inflate trades and construction prices.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

deadduck wrote:What do people think of the Greens idea to stimulate the economy by building massive high speed rail networks?

Good idea in principle but like all of these infrastructure projects its not easy to see how it really helps people who've lost their jobs or small businesses who've had to close, and surely it will also act to inflate trades and construction prices.
I like it. It incentivises people to live outside of the cities but commute for work. Huntly, Ashburton, Timaru, Masterton etc are the future!
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

deadduck wrote:What do people think of the Greens idea to stimulate the economy by building massive high speed rail networks?

Not sure I like it but it seems better than the money spent on cycle paths and new roads under the the last lot
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Enzedder wrote:We've had great news as well. They had warned us around 10pm that they didn't expect Roy to make it thru the night. The cheeky bugger then slept like a baby and has woken up much improved this morning - we have even been able to have a chat which is very reassuring.
Outstanding. My mother seems to be going OK as well, tested +ve a week ago and other than an initial fever seems OK.

</mockers, obvs...>
:thumbup:
Late top ther [party, but great news fellas.

And to new Wignu.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Wignu wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kahu wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
I weakened today and ordered some spirits online, have been drinking beer (cheap) & cider but just doesn't really cut the mustard and end up feeling bloated with them.

For shame, Garage Project have a reasonable 2-3 day turn-a-round on deliveries. Your local, Baylands Brewery, is also delivering, though don't know the turn-a-round on that. Though I am willing to test it for you. ;)