Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732 ... 743  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 am 

booji boy wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:
I saw a quote on facebook about Trump that was something like "He's so stupid. So unbelievably stupid and I dont even have to say his name and everyone knows who I am talking about"

There is a poster on this thread that could apply to as well, you could use the word stupid but I'd go for tedious. And you'd all know who I'm talking about. Does the ignore function still work? I've never used it before but may have to.

Only one?

:lol: Good point but you know exactly who I'm talking about don't you?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:58 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Watching the Muller press conference now.

He speaks well, and has a strong presence.

I think National will bounce back under his leadership.

Agreed. Hit the right note and tone, credit where credit is due to Labour... but economic recovery is not Covid management. Kept control of the media in an engaging manner. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Yep, he did well. He can at least string a sentence together. Reminds me of Jim Bolger in a way (he is Bolger's boy after all). The problem for Bolger was that he couldn't control the hawks in his caucus. Can Muller control his hawks?, including a very wounded and vengeful Simon Bridges out in the backbenches. Polls will bounce back the longer the 4-months drag on. Labour has a fight on its hands.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Watching the Muller press conference now.

He speaks well, and has a strong presence.

I think National will bounce back under his leadership.

Yes he comes across well. Pity he's a filthy catholic.

The Nats will get an instant bounce out of this I suspect.

Nikki Kaye did ok too. Although tbf it's not hard to come across better than Soimon and Cruella.

Isn't Ardern a Mormon?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 am 

It's a shame our politics continues to be more about personalities rather than policies.

Someone told me their was pic of the new guys in is study(?) with MAGA hat on display in the background. Anyone got the pic? Does that reflect his politics?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
It's a shame our politics continues to be more about personalities rather than policies.

Someone told me their was pic of the new guys in is study(?) with MAGA hat on display in the background. Anyone got the pic? Does that reflect his politics?

No idea. Never really heard of him before today, but assuming it is one of these

The "Make Ardern Go Away" hats on Trademe.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12276739

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:57 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

It's not about personality it's about leadership. Bridges had zero leadership credibility.

It's like having a boss you don't rate, who fails to lead and you do your job in spite of them not because of them.

This is a very positive step for National IMO. Bridges was a lame duck and had to go.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 am 

He's a practicing catholic and a fanboi of American Politics. He did show enough to work with the Greens on the Zero Carbon bill, although he's likely to sell out and backtrack on it to buy votes and look after his mates in the farming community.

Basically, he's a politician and can't be trusted any further than you would a used car dealer, or a bloke with a MAGA hat.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:06 am 

Davedj77 wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:
I saw a quote on facebook about Trump that was something like "He's so stupid. So unbelievably stupid and I dont even have to say his name and everyone knows who I am talking about"

There is a poster on this thread that could apply to as well, you could use the word stupid but I'd go for tedious. And you'd all know who I'm talking about. Does the ignore function still work? I've never used it before but may have to.

Only one?

:lol: Good point but you know exactly who I'm talking about don't you?

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:06 am 

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

It's not about personality it's about leadership. Bridges had zero leadership credibility.

It's like having a boss you don't rate, who fails to lead and you do your job in spite of them not because of them.

This is a very positive step for National IMO. Bridges was a lame duck and had to go.

He was shit. But more about luck to be fair

Labour polling
40%
41%
39%
42.5%
41%
Covid-19 and Ardern Daily Labour Party broadcast
56.5%
59%

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:10 am 

Dark wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Labour polling
40%
41%
39%
42.5%
41%
56.5%
59%

Well you make you own luck to a degree and Bridges lack of appeal had only been put into stark relief by Covid. It might have done the Nats a favour.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:13 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
Dark wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Labour polling
40%
41%
39%
42.5%
41%
56.5%
59%

Well you make you own luck to a degree and Bridges lack of appeal had only been put into stark relief by Covid. It might have done the Nats a favour.

Fair point and I have said I don't blame her for milking it.

It is her job as a Politician to win elections.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:18 am 

JPNZ wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Where we'all at with the cannabis referendum?

I'm a hazy YES.

I'm leaning yes, but I honestly think with NZ's aging population and baby boomer's thoughts on Cannabis, we have more chance of increasing the retirement age than the referendum polling YES. It is non-binding as well so who knows what will happen regardless of result.

Case in point >

Quote:
Middle-aged Cantabrians are more likely to be opposed to the legalisation of cannabis for recreational use than in favour of it, a University of Otago study suggests. New Zealanders will vote in a non-binding referendum on whether to legalise the sale, use, possession and producton of cannabis in September.

It will be held at the same time as the 2020 general election and euthanasia referendum on September 19. Researchers have been tracking the lives of more than 1000 Cantabrians since their birth in 1977 and interviewed them at the age of 40. They found nearly twice as many were against the legalisation of cannabis (50 per cent) than in favour of it (27 per cent). Others said they were ‘neutral’.

However, more than 80 per cent supported legalising medicinal cannabis (which is already legal with a doctor's prescription). Most (70.3 per cent) agreed it should be illegal for private individuals to sell cannabis, while 54 per cent said cannabis use was harmful. Lead researcher Professor Joe Boden said the paper could show what way middle-aged New Zealand may vote, though most were interviewed before the referendum was announced.

However, the study did show the ''sort of things" that makes a person "a bit more pro or anti" cannabis, he said. ''The most important takeaway to us is the generally conservative attitude of the cohort for a cohort that has been characterised as having high levels of exposure to the drug. There's still quite a significantly negative attitude towards it.''

Support for legalisation was linked to prior drug use, a history of depression, Māori ancestry, and higher educational attainment. Women and those with dependent children were more likely to have a negative attitude.

So not Boomers then. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:21 am 

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

I almost put a disclaimer about leadership being a different kettle of fish from personalities. But so often we see more about their personalities then about Leadership. Which unfortunately has been the case in much of the reporting I've seen. (I'll add a disclaimer this time about those cases where the right personality can set a good example and hence be included as part of that persons leadership skills.)

I agree that Bridges didn't have the leadership credibility. But I haven't seen anything to suggest the new guy will have it either.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:24 am 

JPNZ wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Where we'all at with the cannabis referendum?

I'm a hazy YES.

I'm leaning yes, but I honestly think with NZ's aging population and baby boomer's thoughts on Cannabis, we have more chance of increasing the retirement age than the referendum polling YES. It is non-binding as well so who knows what will happen regardless of result.

Case in point >

Quote:
Middle-aged Cantabrians are more likely to be opposed to the legalisation of cannabis for recreational use than in favour of it, a University of Otago study suggests. New Zealanders will vote in a non-binding referendum on whether to legalise the sale, use, possession and producton of cannabis in September.

It will be held at the same time as the 2020 general election and euthanasia referendum on September 19. Researchers have been tracking the lives of more than 1000 Cantabrians since their birth in 1977 and interviewed them at the age of 40. They found nearly twice as many were against the legalisation of cannabis (50 per cent) than in favour of it (27 per cent). Others said they were ‘neutral’.

However, more than 80 per cent supported legalising medicinal cannabis (which is already legal with a doctor's prescription). Most (70.3 per cent) agreed it should be illegal for private individuals to sell cannabis, while 54 per cent said cannabis use was harmful. Lead researcher Professor Joe Boden said the paper could show what way middle-aged New Zealand may vote, though most were interviewed before the referendum was announced.

However, the study did show the ''sort of things" that makes a person "a bit more pro or anti" cannabis, he said. ''The most important takeaway to us is the generally conservative attitude of the cohort for a cohort that has been characterised as having high levels of exposure to the drug. There's still quite a significantly negative attitude towards it.''

Support for legalisation was linked to prior drug use, a history of depression, Māori ancestry, and higher educational attainment. Women and those with dependent children were more likely to have a negative attitude.

I think you need to read a book.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:27 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

I almost put a disclaimer about leadership being a different kettle of fish from personalities. But so often we see more about their personalities then about Leadership. Which unfortunately has been the case in much of the reporting I've seen. (I'll add a disclaimer this time about those cases where the right personality can set a good example and hence be included as part of that persons leadership skills.)

I agree that Bridges didn't have the leadership credibility. But I haven't seen anything to suggest the new guy will have it either.

The fact is when you even have the media calling the PM and Peters by their first names in serious reporting, while everyone else by their last, the rest are always going to be a bit on the back foot.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:28 am 

I always find it interesting that people take the piss out of his accent and called him sumpal soimon or whatever, and most importantly judge him on that - rather than listening to the actual message

Psychologists assert that humans have a tendency to favour those who are similar to them and fear those who act or speak differently
This is known as the in-group theory..they overvalue our own group - while devaluing the ‘out-group’ and define ourselves against them

This is the sad state of affairs in politics and in particular with ardern vs bridges - the poor guy never had a chance - based partially on his accent which overwhelmed people’s perception of him, calling him whiney etc

If you actually listened to what he was saying he had some good points and did reasonably well in parliament - whereas ardern is good at reading out pre prepared speeches and is pretty average in a debate.. but bugger all people see it or care

Bridges never came across well unfortunately but wasn’t incompetent

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:37 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

I thought his opening speech was quite impressive. He has an impressive resume dating all the way back to Gentleman Jim Bolger. I didn't know anything about him until this week either but all the signs are positive.

And the fact he was the guy that stupid Green MP Chloe Swarbrick referred to as "Ok Boomer" is just an added bonus. 8) :thumbup:

Last edited by booji boy on Fri May 22, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 am 

brat wrote:
I always find it interesting that people take the piss out of his accent and called him sumpal soimon or whatever, and most importantly judge him on that - rather than listening to the actual message

Psychologists assert that humans have a tendency to favour those who are similar to them and fear those who act or speak differently
This is known as the in-group theory..they overvalue our own group - while devaluing the ‘out-group’ and define ourselves against them

This is the sad state of affairs in politics and in particular with ardern vs bridges - the poor guy never had a chance - based partially on his accent which overwhelmed people’s perception of him, calling him whiney etc

If you actually listened to what he was saying he had some good points and did reasonably well in parliament - whereas ardern is good at reading out pre prepared speeches and is pretty average in a debate.. but bugger all people see it or care

Well hopefully Bridges can add value behind the scenes the way Bill English did. Remains to be seen I suppose but if he is as talented as you suggest he is then hopefully he will remain a valued contributor to the National Party.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 am 

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Agree he had to go but disagree about personality

Personality politics is a huge factor and nothing moreso than with bridges vs ardern, some of it based purely on his accent as I said in the above

Look at ardern coming into replace little - people had little to no idea about her leadership qualities by election time but she got them up by 10 pts on election night

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 am 

brat wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Personality politics is a huge factor and nothing moreso than with bridges vs ardern, some of it based purely on his accent as I said in the above

Look at ardern coming into replace little - people had little to no idea about her leadership qualities by election time but she got them up by 10 pts on election night

As they say, 'perception is reality'.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 am 

Tehui wrote:
brat wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

As they say, 'perception is reality'.

Yep true unfortunately

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:53 am 

Saw this on social media today. I'm not sure what to make of it, other than 'it is what it is'.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:57 am 

Tehui wrote:
Saw this on social media today. I'm not sure what to make of it, other than 'it is what it is'.

Interesting how it only list social policy voting

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:01 am 

Winston is smiling again.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

How can it not reflect his politics?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 am 

usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Reminds me of the video of Ardern yelling "comrade" at everyone

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 am 

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

I thought his opening speech was quite impressive. He has an impressive resume dating all the way back to Gentleman Jim Bolger. I didn't know anything about him until this week either but all the signs are positive.

And the fact he was the guy that stupid Green MP Chloe Swarbrick referred to as "Ok Boomer" is just an added bonus. 8) :thumbup:

Just saw a soundbite of that on Prime news. Have been busy today and haven't seen much news . Looked like a good start.

Didn't realize he was the "boomer"!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 am 

usermame wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Looking at that he appears to have a collection of US hats. I know people who hate Trump but think it would be quite funny to have a MAGA hat so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.

I wore a MAGA badge to a party. But it was a German themed party and stood for "Make Angela Great Again" given she seemed to have taken over the true leadership of the western world at the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 am 

brat wrote:

I think you believe that but I don't think that necessarily makes it true.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 am 

brat wrote:

Jacinda wrote all her own speeches and managed basically the entire chch response. I strongly suspect all Covid responses are her own work too. Remember she studied comms.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 am 

Dark wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Almost like that’s the point

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:24 am 

booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Monkey Magic wrote:
Anyone taking bets on who the leader of National will be tomorrow?

If it is still bridges could he still face a no confidence vote next week?

Saw some pundits say it was a bad call on his part bringing it forward, as with only 1 challenger there is no chance that the different contenders split the vote. But I think he has much better chance vs one person compared to a general vibe of 'you're rubbish'.

Would think there would be a couple of other contenders who would step up for leadership without the bad optics of going directly against the leader.

I think that they have a no confidence vote first. If Bridges loses he stands down and they will take nominations for a leadership vote - which is when I think Mitchell will put his hat in the ring.

Whether they have a vote on that tomorrow I have no idea

Barry Soper this morning agrees with that scenario but thinks Judith Collins will emerge as leader.

Meanwhile The Hosk reckons Simon has the numbers to retain the leadership. God I hope he's wrong. At least Little had the good grace to fall on his sword. Seems like Bridges will cling on to the leadership to the bitter end. :uhoh:

First time I've wanted the Hosk to be correct. I got your back Simon! :lol:

I'm sure Simon appreciates your support but the Hosk was wrong! :D

It’s what I deserve for everything I wrote in that post.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:25 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
brat wrote:

Jacinda wrote all her own speeches and managed basically the entire chch response. I strongly suspect all Covid responses are her own w
ork too. Remember she studied comms.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:26 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Almost like that’s the point

Pretty stupid point.

I want the govt running the country more than telling me what I can do

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:35 am 

You don't consider laws such as those that prevent someone from having an abortion or choosing to die with dignity instead of terrible suffering as telling people they can do?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:41 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
You don't consider laws such as those that prevent someone from having an abortion or choosing to die with dignity instead of terrible suffering as telling people they can do?

Obviously yes.

That was my point

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 am 

UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Barry Soper this morning agrees with that scenario but thinks Judith Collins will emerge as leader.

Meanwhile The Hosk reckons Simon has the numbers to retain the leadership. God I hope he's wrong. At least Little had the good grace to fall on his sword. Seems like Bridges will cling on to the leadership to the bitter end. :uhoh:

First time I've wanted the Hosk to be correct. I got your back Simon! :lol:

I'm sure Simon appreciates your support but the Hosk was wrong! :D

It’s what I deserve for everything I wrote in that post.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 am 

@Dark

Strange you find a graphic showing if they support or don't support laws that tell you what you can do stupid then.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:46 am 

What does 'nip' stand for?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:48 am 

Not in Parliament, I'd assume.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732 ... 743  Next