NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
jambanja

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by jambanja »

Not really. A slap on the wrist from Todd Muller is not all the dealing that might be done in this case.
I really don't think losing your career is a "slap on the wrist"
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

jambanja wrote:
Not really. A slap on the wrist from Todd Muller is not all the dealing that might be done in this case.
I am alluding to an enquiry that is underway and possible civil or criminal proceedings. I think losing his seat, in Walker's case, will pale into insignificance if he does jail time and collects a criminal record, small as that chance may be.

BTW, my quip was not directed at Muller's actions, but at Santa's attempt - hey nothing more to see over here, but wow would ya look at that over there! - to confine the penalty and damage to what the party/Muller had imposed. Which is patently nonsense.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ted. wrote:
jambanja wrote:
I am alluding to an enquiry that is underway and possible civil or criminal proceedings. I think losing his seat, in Walker's case, will pale into insignificance if he does jail time and collects a criminal record, small as that chance may be.

BTW, my quip was not directed at Muller's actions, but at Santa's attempt - hey nothing more to see over here, but wow would ya look at that over there! - to confine the penalty and damage to what the party/Muller had imposed. Which is patently nonsense.
Fairy muff
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ted. wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
terangi48 wrote:Did they ever hook up Manapouri to the national grid to make power available to the rest of NZ?
Yes they did
It’s only part of the South Island transmission network. I heard an investment of a billion or more would be needed to rout that excess power to the NI.
Don't the transmission lines need major work regardless, mainly due to a lack of maintenance and investment?
Just talked to an ex-Tiwai employee. There is a link across Cook Strait which some minimal power can be sent across. Currently at Stage 2 of 5 Stage upgrade. From there there's another 5 years of work to shift it from Wellington to Auckland.

On the 1000 employees, I think 800 are Rio Tinto staff and an additional 200 contractors.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

mr bungle wrote:
On the 1000 employees, I think 800 are Rio Tinto staff and an additional 200 contractors.
The employment that the funds from the wages of those 1000 people must be quite large - is it 60% which is generally the accepted figure?

Either way - massive for that region.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

If they manage to effectively vent Manapouri's power to the grid that's essentially 100% renewable energy for New Zealand. Borderline 100% but nothing another hydro dam wouldn't cover.
That's not a bad trade off. Tiwai produced the cleanest, purest Aluminuim on the planet but no one really gives a fudge, the world want's cheap aluminium not the best. New Zealand had to move away from that dinosaur industry anyway. It was all diesel shipping, environmental motherfucking bullshit. If the product was worth anything, it wouldn't have shut down so no huge loss.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

mr bungle wrote:
Ted. wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
terangi48 wrote:Did they ever hook up Manapouri to the national grid to make power available to the rest of NZ?
Yes they did
It’s only part of the South Island transmission network. I heard an investment of a billion or more would be needed to rout that excess power to the NI.
Don't the transmission lines need major work regardless, mainly due to a lack of maintenance and investment?
Just talked to an ex-Tiwai employee. There is a link across Cook Strait which some minimal power can be sent across. Currently at Stage 2 of 5 Stage upgrade. From there there's another 5 years of work to shift it from Wellington to Auckland.

Cheers for that. So it seems the infrastructure is sound to get the power to the Cook Strait.

Auckland can have the Waikato power.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Fuck that, they already get our water and sewerage.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Actually doubt the smelter will actually shutdown tbh.

They will work something out.

It is just the usual threats.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Enzedder wrote:Fuck that, they already get our water and sewerage.
Come on Enz, accept your fate and JAFA overlords. You guys are already more or less a suburb, anyway. :nod:
Dark

Post by Dark »

As a proud lad originally from the Sth Island I am happy if the excess power is moved to Auckland for say $10,000 a kilo watt.

Sure, they have to forgoe the odd latte. But worth it.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Ted. wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Ted. wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Cheers for that. So it seems the infrastructure is sound to get the power to the Cook Strait.

I just saw some plum from Meridian on TV saying with an absolutely straight face that the cost of power will probably go up as "someone has to pay for the transmission costs"
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

RuggaBugga wrote:
Ted. wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Ted. wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

I just saw some plum from Meridian on TV saying with an absolutely straight face that the cost of power will probably go up as "someone has to pay for the transmission costs"
They are all plums, every last one of them.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

RuggaBugga wrote: I just saw some plum from Meridian on TV saying with an absolutely straight face that the cost of power will probably go up as "someone has to pay for the transmission costs"
Someone will indeed have to pay for whatever capital costs the regulator approves. From what I can glean, the Electricity Authority has the job of approving a transmission price structure that recovers from the different customer groups the maximum allowable revenue approved by Commerce Commission.

Here in Straya, transmission network charges make up a relatively small proportion of the total costs underlying the electricity retail price domestic customers pay; what the case is in NZ, I do not know. But it's not a lay-down misere that domestic retail prices will go up since it's possible for a rise in transmission pricing to be swamped by falling wholesale and distribution pricing.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Bit more of an overview here:

Tiwai Point smelter closure:/hat happens to the electricity sector https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/420 ... ity-sector
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Dark wrote:I see the govts much vaunted and self sacrificing 20% pay cuts have not happened which seems to have gone under the radar.
Kicked in 9 July

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulati ... 53908.html
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

This whole Tiwai thing. The timings not a coincidence is it?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Wilderbeast wrote:This whole Tiwai thing. The timings not a coincidence is it?
Trying to distract from the top of the table clash between the Crusaders and Blues?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Mr Mike wrote:
Trying to distract from the top of the table clash between the Crusaders and Blues?
:lol: I was more referring to the election, though I’m sure you knew that.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Well it coincides with a drop in prices and demand - allegedly - so probably not
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote:

Well it coincides with a drop in prices and demand - allegedly - so probably not
It's been a bit of a Mexican standoff for a while though hasn't it. Rio Tinto have been making noises about the power price for months now but the Govt has basically told them that the deal they got from the previous Govt would not be altered further. Basically reiterating the terms Key and English negotiated.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Haven't heard anything to date on National's position regards the smelter decision. Will be curious to see what they say here.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Flockwitt wrote:Haven't heard anything to date on National's position regards the smelter decision. Will be curious to see what they say here.
The last known position was "this is the last time".

I see that Boag has resigned from the National Party - does that mean "I'll work behind the scenes until after the election because you all belong to me"?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Flockwitt wrote:Haven't heard anything to date on National's position regards the smelter decision. Will be curious to see what they say here.

Would imagine it would be trying to keep them there in some capacity, given the last estimate is it will cost the region 2,500 jobs
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Bit of a kerfuffle going on. Apparently woodhouse knew about the leak, told Muller, and Muller denied Boag had sent any information to anyone but Walker.

This is all reminding me of one of the main things that turned me against the nats (not the only thing).
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Wilderbeast wrote:Bit of a kerfuffle going on. Apparently woodhouse knew about the leak, told Muller, and Muller denied Boag had sent any information to anyone but Walker.

This is all reminding me of one of the main things that turned me against the nats (not the only thing).
Apparently what he said was that she hadn’t sent that information to anyone other than Walker. That DWAD will play really well.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

The media questions he denied were pretty pointed, basically around whether Boag had also contacted Woodhouse. She blatantly did.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

It's like finding rot in your house and wondering where it stops but it doesn't stop, it just goes deeper and deeper.

Some of us have known the rot was there all along.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Wilderbeast wrote:The media questions he denied were pretty pointed, basically around whether Boag had also contacted Woodhouse. She blatantly did.
I haven’t seen the exchange but the reports I read talked of her being Woodhouse’s “source”, but again it is all dissembling and undermines his credibility. He looks very dodgy.

Fortunately for Muller looks like we have another runner from quarantine.
A man in his 50s is in police custody after fleeing a managed isolation facility in Hamilton to visit a bottle shop.

He absconded on Thursday from the Distinction Hotel, and was due to appear in court on Friday afternoon.

He is believed to have cut through fence ties on a 1.8-metre fence to “break out of the facility”. He was gone for around half an hour between 6.30pm and 7pm before returning to the hotel.

The man visited a liquor store on Te Rapa Road, which has since been cleaned and cleared by health officials
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Mr Mike wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:The media questions he denied were pretty pointed, basically around whether Boag had also contacted Woodhouse. She blatantly did.
I haven’t seen the exchange but the reports I read talked of her being Woodhouse’s “source”, but again it is all dissembling and undermines his credibility. He looks very dodgy.

Fortunately for Muller looks like we have another runner from quarantine.
A man in his 50s is in police custody after fleeing a managed isolation facility in Hamilton to visit a bottle shop.

He absconded on Thursday from the Distinction Hotel, and was due to appear in court on Friday afternoon.

He is believed to have cut through fence ties on a 1.8-metre fence to “break out of the facility”. He was gone for around half an hour between 6.30pm and 7pm before returning to the hotel.

The man visited a liquor store on Te Rapa Road, which has since been cleaned and cleared by health officials
The poor bloke just wanted a drink. Can they not get room service? Or are the hotel drinks just too expensive?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Someone just asked that at the Minister’s briefing. “Is four beers per person enough?”
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Wilderbeast wrote:Bit of a kerfuffle going on. Apparently woodhouse knew about the leak, told Muller, and Muller denied Boag had sent any information to anyone but Walker.

I gave the Government a bit of stick a few weeks back for how two women were able to receive exemptions and without being tested prior to discharge. So it's only fair I do the same for the Nats in this case. I find this kind of 'dirty politics' behaviour to be abhorrent. If this how they're prepared to operate in opposition, lord knows how some of them will behave when they're in government. We only need to see how Paula Benefit used her position of authority to leak superannuation payment details of a political rival to the press as an example.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Tehui wrote:

I gave the Government a bit of stick a few weeks back for how two women were able to receive exemptions and without being tested prior to discharge. So it's only fair I do the same for the Nats in this case. I find this kind of 'dirty politics' behaviour to be abhorrent. If this how they're prepared to operate in opposition, lord knows how some of them will behave when they're in government. We only need to see how Paula Benefit used her position of authority to leak superannuation payment details of a political rival to the press as an example.
Precisely, and Bennett got away with it. They sense the public won’t let them get away with it this time so they acted. Unfortunately for National, I simply don’t believe ditching Walker was done on a matter of principle. Their history backs that.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Mr Mike wrote:
Splutter!

You utter plum, Mr.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Booji Boy, Jambanja & Guy Smiley:

I'll be traveling from Wellington to Tauranga on Thursday, returning back on Sunday. Be keen to meet each of you over a coffee if the opportunity is there.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Tehui wrote:Booji Boy, Jambanja & Guy Smiley:

I'll be traveling from Wellington to Tauranga on Thursday, returning back on Sunday. Be keen to meet each of you over a coffee if the opportunity is there.
Be careful out there and stay safe, mate.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Ted. wrote:

Thanks Ted. Hopefully Desert Road will be open. I've seen some beautiful photos of that region the last few days.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Ted. wrote:

Indeed. Bring your phone and film the meeting for your own protection.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Tehui wrote:
Ted. wrote:

Thanks Ted. Hopefully Desert Road will be open. I've seen some beautiful photos of that region the last few days.
I think he's referring to the dodgy people you might meet up with, is that next week?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

jambanja wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Ted. wrote:

I think he's referring to the dodgy people you might meet up with, is that next week?
Yes, next week 16-19 July. My number is xxxx.

Let me know when you've got my phone number, and I'll edit this post to prevent the PR Trolls sexting me.
Last edited by Tehui on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.