Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747 ... 770  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
I think people forget how good we’ve got it re COVID-19.

You only need to watch or listen to the daily news to be reminded. That plus we won't be traveling internationally anytime soon. Life may feel back to normal here but a quick glance overseas is a sombre reminder of how bad the global situation is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:40 am 

booji boy wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

You only need to watch or listen to the daily news to be reminded. That plus we won't be traveling internationally anytime soon. Life may feel back to normal here but a quick glance overseas is a sombre reminder of how bad the global situation is.

I don’t really travel internationally so my day to day life is largely what it was. It’s bizarre to think about what’s going on out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I don’t really travel internationally so my day to day life is largely what it was. It’s bizarre to think about what’s going on out there.

I was planning a ski trip to Canada/US in Jan-Feb 2021, a trip to the UK later in the year and frequently travel to Oz. Not being able to travel internationally for the foreseeable future is hugely disappointing. Hopefully we'll at least have a trans Tasman bubble sometime next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:11 pm 

Santa wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
We live in a world where the last(?) people to get compassionate leave blatantly didn’t follow rules and caused something of a national panic when it was established they had COVID-19. Is this the history you are speaking of?

Right. So the principle is if some citizens break the rules then the government can break the law. To me that is not a very solid basis on which a democratic government should act.

Do you have a degree in being a tedious plum?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm 

Breaking

Todd Muller resigns.

That was quick

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:43 pm 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/42 ... rty-leader

Quote:
Todd Muller resigns as National Party leader

Todd Muller has resigned as the National Party leader.

In a statement Muller said he had taken time over the weekend to reflect on his experience over the last several weeks as leader of the opposition.

"It has become clear to me that I am not the best person to be Leader of the Opposition and Leader of the New Zealand National Party at this critical time for New Zealand," he said.

"It is more important than ever that the New Zealand National Party has a leader who is comfortable in the role.

"The role has taken a heavy toll on me personally, and on my family, and this has become untenable from a health perspective.

"For that reason I will be stepping down as Leader effective immediately."

Muller took over the leadership after rolling Simon Bridges in May.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Quote:
Todd Muller has resigned as leader of the National Party.

Muller announced early on Tuesday morning that he was resigning from the leadership of the party immediately.

“It has become clear to me that I am not the best person to be Leader of the Opposition and Leader of the New Zealand National Party at this critical time for New Zealand.

“It is more important than ever that the New Zealand National Party has a leader who is comfortable in the role.

“The role has taken a heavy toll on me personally, and on my family, and this has become untenable from a health perspective.”

He took over the leadership from former leader Simon Bridges on May 22.

I bet he was involved in the CV List debacle.

C'mon down Crusher Collins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 pm 

Problem is Muller was supposed to be the clean one. What fresh horror are the Nats going to come up with next?

Assuming Nikki Kaye is now leader. Nice one dropping her in it, Todd.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 pm 

Crooked Judy now?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Quote:

Muller announced early on Tuesday morning that he was resigning from the leadership of the party immediately.

“It has become clear to me that I am not the best person to be Leader of the Opposition and Leader of the New Zealand National Party at this critical time for New Zealand.

“It is more important than ever that the New Zealand National Party has a leader who is comfortable in the role.

“The role has taken a heavy toll on me personally, and on my family, and this has become untenable from a health perspective.”

I'd like to congratulate Labour and Jacinda Ardern on their second term.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 pm 

Muttonbirds wrote:
Problem is Muller was supposed to be the clean one. What fresh horror are the Nats going to come up with next?

This is a clear Andrew Little//Jacinda Ardern play. Nikki Kaye has a record of beating Ardern too.

It’s bulletproof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:17 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

This is a clear Andrew Little//Jacinda Ardern play. Nikki Kaye has a record of beating Ardern too.

It’s bulletproof

Very plausible - but she has her fingerprints all over the CV-19 leak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:19 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

It’s bulletproof

Yep, I highly doubt it has anything to do with any further ethical horrors coming to light. However, I also doubt this is anything to do with a campaign master stroke to pit woman against the best woman, a political cat fight. This is far too Machiavellian for all but.......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 pm 

Gotcha

Now we'll see the CCP swing into action a la Putin and USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 pm 

This is eerily similar timing to when Little stepped down. It may even be a few days further out from the election than Ardern’s promotion.

I couldn’t see National winning with Muller - he didn’t look like a leader - and would imagine Labour felt the same way too. Judith Collins at the helm would certainly make a more entertaining campaign if nothing else. The way we have seen personality politics sway things, the last things the Government probably wanted was the man who displayed very little to have stepped aside.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:27 pm 

Reading the press release is pretty grim if you pay attention to the words chosen. Politics is a shitty place to be, especially if you are a leader. He clearly wasn’t ready/didn’t appreciate the demands of the job.

Edit: what’s really sad is by demands of the job, I don’t mind buckling down and doing a good shift of hard work. I mean putting up with the constant picking and attacks on you. I think this is the reason Bridges started to get as negative as he did towards the end. Anyone who follows Bridges on Twitter will have noticed he seems a different man.

Last edited by Wilderbeast on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:30 pm 

JB1981 wrote:
This is eerily similar timing to when Little stepped down. It may even be a few days further out from the election than Ardern’s promotion.

I couldn’t see National winning with Muller - he didn’t look like a leader - and would imagine Labour felt the same way too. Judith Collins at the helm would certainly make a more entertaining campaign if nothing else. The way we have seen personality politics sway things, the last things the Government probably wanted was the man who displayed very little to have stepped aside.
Not sure what the Nats' protocol is but Labour had to do that within 3 months I think of the GE to avoid going through their drawn out leadership voting procedure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Reading the press release is pretty grim if you pay attention to the words chosen. Politics is a shitty place to be, especially if you are a leader. He clearly wasn’t ready/didn’t appreciate the demands of the job.
Have to sympathise if it is emotional fragility or genuine heath issues but really, if the guy couldn't see what was coming in the leadership role then he hasn't been paying attention.

Half the caucus hated him for what he did and it would be a lonely job with limited and uncertain support. Unlike JA who has the entire country behind her.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:36 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:

Edit: what’s really sad is by demands of the job, I don’t mind buckling down and doing a good shift of hard work. I mean putting up with the constant picking and attacks on you. I think this is the reason Bridges started to get as negative as he did towards the end. Anyone who follows Bridges on Twitter will have noticed he seems a different man.

And/Or, there is a great big nasty gob of shite to hit the news and our Todd is in the thick of it. Maybe something to do with the current Heron enquiry?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:38 pm 

What a moron. He's so disturbed by what's going on around him he just steps down and under cover of the nearest rock.

That's pretty gutless.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:38 pm 

Political leadership is probably like having children. You think you’re ready, but you’re never ready. No one is ever ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Quote:

Cometh the hour, cometh the Crusher!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:51 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Quote:

I'd like to congratulate Labour and Jacinda Ardern on their second term.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:03 pm 

sonic_attack wrote:
What a moron. He's so disturbed by what's going on around him he just steps down and under cover of the nearest rock.

That's pretty gutless.

Depends, if this is a mental health issue then he needs to step down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

That's pretty gutless.

Depends, if this is a mental health issue then he needs to step down.

Was probably a bit harsh. I suppose he should really be respected for not continuing in a role he wasn't prepared to sell out for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:29 pm 

Muttonbirds wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Have to sympathise if it is emotional fragility or genuine heath issues but really, if the guy couldn't see what was coming in the leadership role then he hasn't been paying attention.

Half the caucus hated him for what he did and it would be a lonely job with limited and uncertain support. Unlike JA who has the entire country behind her.

:lol:

Yeah ok

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 pm 

So no Crusher (she's not dumb) - Nikki Kaye takes over

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 pm 

Never before have the party leaders contested the same seat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 pm 

Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Yeah ok
Except you. And brat, who believes Jacinda Ardern had a baby for political purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:40 pm 

Muttonbirds wrote:
Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Yeah ok
Except you. And brat, who believes Jacinda Ardern had a baby for political purposes.

And the 50% of voters in the last poll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:47 pm 

Tax us, tax us, tax us

Quote:
Businessman and philanthropist Sir Stephen Tindall is among the world's richest people urging governments to raise taxes on the rich, as the world grapples with the economic impact of Covid-19.

Tindall is one of 83 millionaires who have signed an open letter which said “today, we, the undersigned millionaires, ask our governments to raise taxes on people like us. Immediately. Substantially. Permanently”.

"As Covid-19 strikes the world, millionaires like us have a critical role to play in healing our world," it says.

“So please. Tax us. Tax us. Tax us. It is the right choice. It is the only choice.”

The letter says: "No, we are not the ones caring for the sick in intensive care wards. We are not driving the ambulances that will bring the ill to hospitals. We are not restocking grocery store shelves or delivering food door to door.

The group included Ben and Jerry’s ice cream co-founder Jerry Greenfield and Disney heir Abigail Disney.

"But we do have money, lots of it. Money that is desperately needed now and will continue to be needed in the years ahead, as our world recovers from this crisis."

The group warned the economic impact would "last for decades" and could push more than half a billion people into poverty.

"Government leaders must take the responsibility for raising the funds we need and spending them fairly," the letter says.

“The problems caused by, and revealed by, Covid-19 can’t be solved with charity, no matter how generous. Government leaders must take the responsibility for raising the funds we need and spending them fairly. We can ensure we adequately fund our health systems, schools, and security through a permanent tax increase on the wealthiest people on the planet, people like us.

“We owe a huge debt to the people working on the frontlines of this global battle. Most essential workers are grossly underpaid for the burden they carry. At the vanguard of this fight are our health care workers, 70 percent of whom are women. They confront the deadly virus each day at work, while bearing the majority of responsibility for unpaid work at home. The risks these brave people willingly embrace every day in order to care for the rest of us requires us to establish a new, real commitment to each other and to what really matters.

“Our interconnectedness has never been more clear. We must rebalance our world before it is too late. There will not be another chance to get this right.

“Unlike tens of millions of people around the world, we do not have to worry about losing our jobs, our homes, or our ability to support our families. We are not fighting on the frontlines of this emergency and we are much less likely to be its victims.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:59 pm 

In the US the discussion has moved from taxing poor millionaires to focus on Multimillionaires and Billionaires, shortly after Bernie realized he was a millionaire.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/13/bernie- ... imary.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:05 pm 

I think they are talking about taxing income though, not wealth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 pm 

I agree with Bernie, hit the top 1% of the top 1% And leave everyone else alone. It’s the moral thing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:27 pm 

Enzedder wrote:

Interim leader. I reckon Mitchell and Amy Adams as deputy. Collins may not have the numbers - especially from Simon's crowd. The National party is in the middle of a full-on factional civil war at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Shambolic National party.
Won't happend this election but would be nice if somehow it wasn't just Labour Vs National. I'd love it to Labour Vs Greens and Jacinda VS Chloe for the prime minister role, but guess theres still too many national supporters that wouldn't move. Maybe after they all die lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 am 

Auckman wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Interim leader. I reckon Mitchell and Amy Adams as deputy. Collins may not have the numbers - especially from Simon's crowd. The National party is in the middle of a full-on factional civil war at the moment.

While you may be right, Mitchell is a bellend, IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

And (rightly IMO) has a reputation as being a little bit lazy by the National caucus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:24 am 

Muttonbirds wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

Not sure what the Nats' protocol is but Labour had to do that within 3 months I think of the GE to avoid going through their drawn out leadership voting procedure.

New leader is decided solely by the caucus tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:27 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Seemed a pretty straight up bloke the time I have seen him.

And he isn't afraid to kill the opposition if required.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747 ... 770  Next