Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748 ... 778  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:50 am 

Na I don’t like Mitchell. I don’t think he has much support in the party either does he?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:51 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
So no Crusher (she's not dumb) - Nikki Kaye takes over

Interim leader. I reckon Mitchell and Amy Adams as deputy. Collins may not have the numbers - especially from Simon's crowd. The National party is in the middle of a full-on factional civil war at the moment.

While you may be right, Mitchell is a bellend, IMHO.

And (rightly IMO) has a reputation as being a little bit lazy by the National caucus.

I don't have a clue but if the caucus thinks he's lazy then that is my theory blown out of the water. I was just thinking he could be a compromise candidate acceptable to all factions. Not the first choice of anyone but someone who comes through the middle. lol

Otherwise, Judith Collins' time has arrived?. She may get the numbers if the other contenders think this election is not winnable and they'll roll her afterwards?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:55 am 

Is there some sort of rule in NZ politics that the opposition has to be a basket case for at least a term or two? Recent evidence would suggest so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:02 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Is there some sort of rule in NZ politics that the opposition has to be a basket case for at least a term or two? Recent evidence would suggest so.

National was humming with polls around 43% before COVID. Ardern’s handling hit them for six and they struggled with what an effective opposition looked like at a time when people were looking for something more positive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

National was humming with polls around 43% before COVID. Ardern’s handling hit them for six and they struggled with what an effective opposition looked like at a time when people were looking for something more positive.

Even so, eventually, even without Covid, Bridges would have opened his mouth before the election and harmed National's chances.

Also, stop ruining my post. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:19 am 

Cook Islands calling for open borders. The only access into Cooks is from New Zealand so I don't see why not. No need to quarantine on the way back is the place is Covid free.
I reckon the Government should be looking at this, seems the healthiest option for those that want a sunny holiday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:23 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
Cook Islands calling for open borders. The only access into Cooks is from New Zealand so I don't see why not. No need to quarantine on the way back is the place is Covid free.
I reckon the Government should be looking at this, seems the healthiest option for those that want a sunny holiday.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:27 am 

UncleFB wrote:

I guess being in opposition is no fun so the more talented politicians on both sides tend to abandon ship and seek more lucrative and fulfilling roles elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:47 am 

booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

I guess being in opposition is no fun so the more talented politicians on both sides tend to abandon ship and seek more lucrative and fulfilling roles elsewhere.

I dunno, this doesn’t seem to happen does it? I don’t read much about the up-and-comers leaving early. It’s more impatient backbenchers eager for promotion who get caught up in coups as they can sell their vote for promotion and recognition. That and backbencher worried they will lose their seat if the current leadership is looking at a lower polling result than previous.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:08 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Na I don’t like Mitchell. I don’t think he has much support in the party either does he?

He's popular in so much as he's well liked by his colleagues and staff but that definitely doesn't translate to leadership material in Mitch's case.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:13 am 

sonic_attack wrote:

It will be more to do with protecting them from us rather than the other way around I suspect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 am 

They should have stuck with English. He may have lost the election but it was very tight and he was a competent leader.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:40 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

It will be more to do with protecting them from us rather than the other way around I suspect.

Yeah I did a search to read more and it looks wishy-washy.

Quote:
Ardern said she had tasked officials with opening a travel bubble with the Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau.

"The number one priority will continue to be the safety of both New Zealand and Realm countries. No one wishes to be responsible for Covid entering into the Pacific," Ardern said in a statement.

Brown said New Zealand passport holders who had been in New Zealand for at least 30 days would be eligible to travel to the Cook Islands.

He said the government had already been working with Air New Zealand and Auckland Airport on "dedicated arrival gates" and separation between travellers going between New Zealand and the Cook Islands and other international travellers.

"We've been quite persistent ... by necessity for us.

"Tourism is a huge part of our economy - up to 70 percent - we've got 45 percent of our workforce that is on the wage subsidy with no other support which is going to end by September."

He said it was imperative for the Cook Islands that it had a travel bridge working and that some sort of tourism was starting before September to enable families and businesses to survive.

That implies that New Zealand won't be the only entry point. Or maybe I read it wrong and it's just for Auckland arrivals/departures.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 am 

sonic_attack wrote:

Looking less and less likely..

Quote:
The Prime Minister has poured cold water on speculation flights to Rarotonga could be announced next week.

It follows the Deputy Prime Minister of the Cook Islands, Mark Brown, telling the AM Show that an announcement about quarantine-free travel could be expected “within a week”. However, in a statement released to Stuff, the Prime Minister’s office says “there are no set dates yet, and any speculation at this stage would be very premature.”

Our border has been closed since 19 March 2020, after Covid-19 spread rapidly around the world. New Zealanders are currently advised against all international travel, and any Kiwis returning to the country must quarantine for 14 days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:55 am 

Yes, read that too and it's the safe thing for Jacinda to say. No one has an exit plan, we certainly don't, I don't see any other nation with one either. We're going to have to make a move at some stage, I personally don't see the Cooks as being any less a security blanket provided New Zealand is the only entry point for the Cook Islands. Niue in the same boat.

We're going to have to see some sort of movement for Kiwi's outside the North and South Islands. It's barely a step but the option of a couple sunny/warm pacific islands in the warmer latitudes would be a great start. They're both one or two week holiday destinations to splash around in warmer water. It'd do us good and the economy of those PI's

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:02 am 

For the Cooks to get full NZ-benefits, it needs to end self-government and rejoin the Empire. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:33 am 

Is the Cook Islands part of NZ or not? Never really understood the relationship with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 am 

It's not part of NZ as it has it's own govt. But Cook Islanders are NZ citizens, they use NZ currency and NZ performs some aspects of governance for them (eg, defence).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:53 am 

True Blue wrote:
Is the Cook Islands part of NZ or not? Never really understood the relationship with them.

I don't really understand it either. They are a 'self-governing nation in free association with NZ' and are part of the "Realm of New Zealand" (including Niue and Tokelau). Technically, they are all NZ citizens and immigration for the Cooks is handled by the NZ Govt. However, there is also a thing called "Cook Island nationality" which applies only to Cook Islanders who are permanent residents of the Cooks and were born there or have parents/grandparents born there or marry someone who does to get that permanent resident status.

Something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:24 am 

They do have a bullshit requirement that when you turn up in the Cooks you have to have accomodation booked for the length of your stay. Hate being tied to stuff like that, I've never been so have no idea which out of which would be the better options re hotels/resorts. Be like me to turn up and go "Shit, should have stayed across the lagoon, it's way better over there!".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:36 am 

Been there once and didn't like it much. Rarotonga is pretty small and I was bored within a few days. But others seem to rave about it. I guess if lying on the beach all day and having cocktails in the bar in the evening is your thing then it's like paradise. I like to explore and discover what other cultures have to offer when I travel so I guess being part of/similar to NZ it wasn't that interesting or different to me.

That was 20 years ago mind. May have changed a bit since them.

I guess it's an escape from winter this time of year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:55 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
The comments are bit silly but chuckled over the picture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:04 am 

booji boy wrote:
Been there once and didn't like it much. Rarotonga is pretty small and I was bored within a few days. But others seem to rave about it. I guess if lying on the beach all day and having cocktails in the bar in the evening is your thing then it's like paradise. I like to explore and discover what other cultures have to offer when I travel so I guess being part of/similar to NZ it wasn't that interesting or different to me.

I think you did it completely wrong ... there's lots to do, and staying at a resort having cocktails at the bar is pretty low down the list.

Also, the culture is pretty distinct from NZ.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:12 am 

UncleFB wrote:

It's a bit like being the non-Bledisloe Cup holder. The losing side changes coaches regularly until winning the thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:21 am 

Tehui wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:
Is there is list anywhere of what the Maori place names are for every settlement? There's definitely some places that could benefit from a name change. What would Lower Hutt be, for example?

I've got a large map at work that shows all the different Māori names for places.

GB, here's the map I was talking about:

https://www.takoa.co.nz/store/p2/IwiMap.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:27 am 

UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:

I think you did it completely wrong ... there's lots to do, and staying at a resort having cocktails at the bar is pretty low down the list.

Also, the culture is pretty distinct from NZ.

I didn't stay in a resort. I stayed with a friend who was living there at the time. The people I know who love the place stay in the resorts.

Anyway who are you to judge? I went and did the treetops walk in Rotorua last weekend and thought it was brilliant. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:29 am 

It would be kind of funny if through this entire ballsup Brudges ended up top dog again. Be a fresh start for him having been out the limelight a couple months.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 am 

Crusher or Benefit were only ever going to be the one to take on Cindy and her Cokedust.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:33 am 

Quote:
9 minutes ago
Just heard word of some clapping up in the caucus room. That could be a new leader - or just a really good speech.

Desperate for a headline?

White smoke required

EDIT: The whisper is that the meeting is not far off finishing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 am 

It's Judith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:00 am 

Auckman wrote:
It's Judith.

That's what we wanted - these will be awesome debates.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:11 am 

fudge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:32 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Auckman wrote:
It's Judith.

:nod: like her or loath her we’ll know where she stands and there could be a bit of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 am 

I thought trump winning the republican nominee would be a bit of fun. Several years later I wish he’d never considered it. I feel the same about Judith. I like to think NZ will have zero tolerance for her style of politics but I can see her getting dirty and succeeding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:56 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
I thought trump winning the republican nominee would be a bit of fun. Several years later I wish he’d never considered it. I feel the same about Judith. I like to think NZ will have zero tolerance for her style of politics but I can see her getting dirty and succeeding.

Crusher Collins vs kind, smiling, empathetic Jacinda

Why do you have a problem with that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Auckman wrote:
It's Judith.

Really? I certainly did. Why did you want it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 am 

She may not go dirty but she’ll definitely go hard. There’s a strange fascination with her so she’ll get plenty of column inches/screen time - in some ways half the battle.

How would Labour/NZ First/the Greens have answered if offered this change a week ago? Who knows, maybe it will all blow up for National, but my view is they would have preferred Muller still there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 am 

booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Auckman wrote:
It's Judith.

She is a polarising twat; panders to the Nat base. But for the Nats, they want a fighter and she is that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 am 

Auckman wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Auckman wrote:
It's Judith.

She is a polarising twat; panders to the Nat base. But for the Nats, they want a fighter and she is that.

Yeah but why did Enz want it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:15 am 

Anyway as a Nat I'm happy.

Bridges was hopeless and Muller did not turn out to be the answer we hoped he would be. Crusher Collins is the best we have and it will be great to have our very own iron lady going head to head with Jacinda. As one political commentator put it she is the 'anti-Jacinda',

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747, 748 ... 778  Next