NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Harvey2.0

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Santa wrote:Nice interview with Simon Bridges here.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12352661
I watched that this morning, its a shame we didn't get to see more of that side of him when he was leader but he gives a decent explanation of why it was difficult to do that. I though he came over well in that, the "orivadia yak" comment was great.

I'm surprised Ardern is going into bat for Peters, on current polling she doesn't need to and if 59% of the country don't trust him surely you'd want to distance yourself from him? Clark made a similar mistake in 2008 which was even worse because the polls were much closer.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12352752
Santa

Post by Santa »

Harvey2.0 wrote:

I watched that this morning, its a shame we didn't get to see more of that side of him when he was leader but he gives a decent explanation of why it was difficult to do that. I though he came over well in that, the "orivadia yak" comment was great.

I'm surprised Ardern is going into bat for Peters, on current polling she doesn't need to and if 59% of the country don't trust him surely you'd want to distance yourself from him? Clark made a similar mistake in 2008 which was even worse because the polls were much closer.

I wonder if Labour are looking for partners to govern in order to palm off some blame when things turn to shit as they will. If they win on the current polling there will be no where to hide.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

No.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Santa wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:

I wonder if Labour are looking for partners to govern in order to palm off some blame when things turn to shit as they will. If they win on the current polling there will be no where to hide.
Maybe, it won't work though.It'll be 1990 all over again.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Harvey2.0 wrote:

Would be extremely surprised if Labour could govern alone by the election.

Also unless the left turn to what they have always called called "dirty politics" and gift a seat to NZF or the Greens, both might be goneburger
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Labour ain't gonna save NZF and it looks like they're putting in a decent attempt in Auckland Central (the Greens best prospect I think).
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Tehui wrote:The posters on the far left and right deserve their own thread. In fact, they deserve each other.
Having met you in person I know you're bigger and better than this.

C'mon man. Be kind! ;)
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Harvey2.0 wrote:
Sefton wrote:I think we all know Muttonmong is a twat but this Harvey character replying to his own posts over and again about him is more than a little obsessive.
You're my favourite one of Anonymous' alternate logins
That post just shows what a gobshite you are.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Sefton wrote:I think we all know Muttonmong is a twat but this Harvey character replying to his own posts over and again about him is more than a little obsessive.
Are you new to this thread??
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Wignu wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Are you new to this thread??
Muttonmong I’m well familiar with, Harvey is a novel corona virus for me.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
You're normally one of the funnier posters here. I was expecting a better comeback than that.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:The posters on the far left and right deserve their own thread. In fact, they deserve each other.

C'mon man. Be kind! ;)
We used to have a balance with Dark and Mutton, but the return of Sentanta and Harvey 2.0 has thrown the balance off. (Has the Culture Wars thread been locked or something?) We need Eug back.

Hope they don't suck you back into the vortex ehoa.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:

C'mon man. Be kind! ;)
We used to have a balance with Dark and Mutton, but the return of Sentanta and Harvey 2.0 has thrown the balance off. (Has the Culture Wars thread been locked or something?) We need Eug back.

What has become of Eug?
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Harvey2.0 wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
You're normally one of the funnier posters here. I was expecting a better comeback than that.
I have no expectations of you.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:

C'mon man. Be kind! ;)

What has become of Eug?
Not sure, I think he flounced or got banned or flounced to avoid a ban (or I'm completely confused, which is more likely since I seem to believe that the Warriors are winning at the moment).
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:

C'mon man. Be kind! ;)

What has become of Eug?
Not sure, I think he flounced or got banned or flounced to avoid a ban (or I'm completely confused, which is more likely since I seem to believe that the Warriors are winning at the moment).
Last I saw of Eug he was in quarantine having just returned from Japan in the nick of time prior to lockdown. Haven't heard from him since. :((
Dark

Post by Dark »

Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
:lol:

Sorry, that made me laugh
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
booji boy wrote:

C'mon man. Be kind! ;)

What has become of Eug?
Last I saw of Eug he was in quarantine having just returned from Japan in the nick of time prior to lockdown. Haven't heard from him since. :((
I thought he was posting after that but was in a shitfight with posters who said he left it too late. That was son long ago in the first wave of Covid though (well, for us here in Oz). :lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote:I thought he was posting after that but was in a shitfight with posters who said he left it too late. That was so long ago in the first wave of Covid though (well, for us here in Oz). :lol:
Yeah maybe he is 'pivoting' and is too busy setting up a NZ Art Gallery to post here lately. :smug:
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Dark wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote: That post just shows what a gobshite you are.

Yeah well you'd be that stupid you thick cvnt.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Wignu wrote:
Dark wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote: I have no expectations of you.

Santa

Post by Santa »

Bayern

Post by Bayern »

F u t..
Last edited by Bayern on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I didn’t think that the conditions were that unreasonable. If anything they are probably too narrow to be sufficiently helpful in terms of cost savings in order to justify the administrative burden of enforcing them but it meets a political need for them.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Would have preferred a bond myself.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Mr Mike wrote:
I didn’t think that the conditions were that unreasonable. If anything they are probably too narrow to be sufficiently helpful in terms of cost savings in order to justify the administrative burden of enforcing them but it meets a political need for them.
I don't know how I feel about it. I am personally affected to the extent that I now won't come back to NZ for an important thing because of the fee. Maybe somewhat resentful because I am, as you say, a political football in this instance.

I certainly don't feel empathised with.

The more interesting thing has been witnessing the resentful attitude of the never-travelled to the travellers. I hadn't quite seen that before but there it is.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Mr Mike wrote:
If you are going to charge a fee, do it for everyone. If not, don't. The current fee charge is ersatz at best - a waste of admin time in my view
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Santa wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
I don't know how I feel about it. I am personally affected to the extent that I now won't come back to NZ for an important thing because of the fee. Maybe somewhat resentful because I am, as you say, a political football in this instance.

The more interesting thing has been witnessing the resentful attitude of the never-travelled to the travellers. I hadn't quite seen that before but there it is.
Yes, there has been a League of Gentlemen local’s reaction, but I’m still telling myself that’s a vocal minority.

The fee is less of an impediment than the time in quarantine in some average hotel, given the time zones challenges.

The hotels are an issue, you pay a flat rate and it’s a lottery which place you get, which means some travelers essentially subsidizing the nicer experience of others. They could at least offer upgrade packages.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Mr Mike wrote:
Santa wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

Yes, there has been a League of Gentlemen local’s reaction, but I’m still telling myself that’s a vocal minority.

The fee is less of an impediment than the time in quarantine in some average hotel, given the time zones challenges.

The hotels are an issue, you pay a flat rate and it’s a lottery which place you get, which means some travelers essentially subsidizing the nicer experience of others. They could at least offer upgrade packages.
The time is important, yes. For me they're both actually costs and while I could reasonably bear one I probably can't bear both.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

It made for good press but I don't like it given the savings vs. actual expense. Got a colleague with a Dutch wife who is having her first child. Obviously mother-in-law would love to be here, it's just another barrier for people like that. Let alone the new New Zealanders or mixed nationality families living in Kiwiland who now have another hurdle to visiting relatives overseas for any reason.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I would have voted Labour but for this policy too. :(
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Santa wrote:I would have voted Labour but for this policy too. :(
So now ACT? - it seems all the others want to charge a fee and if ACT get in it will be with National and there are no exceptions with them.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I'm not on board with charging fees in general (with the exception of someone who just wants a fancy holiday.)

There are lots of reasons people may need to return to NZ, many of which are beyond their control. We all benefit from having those people isolate on their return so it's only fair we should pay for it.

I wonder how many of the "Karens " and "Garrys" bitching about it benefited from the must higher cost incurred by wage subsidies etc. I wonder how many of them effectively enjoyed a staycation on full pay during lockdown? Yet we don't hear anyone suggesting they should pay some of that back.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Interesting to read the reaction from some of the boardies about the intention to charge fees for the 14-day period re-entering NZ. I would have thought those on the Right would be supportive of it. I'm still trying to figure out whether your disagreement is due to the actual policy, or due to the team making the political decisions.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

booji boy wrote:

C'mon man. Be kind! ;)
I hear you. I just get annoyed by adults who act like 12 year old kids by trying to get the last word in a debate.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Tehui wrote:Interesting to read the reaction from some of the boardies about the intention to charge fees for the 14-day period re-entering NZ. I would have thought those on the Right would be supportive of it. I'm still trying to figure out whether your disagreement is due to the actual policy, or due to the team making the political decisions.
A proper right viewpoint would be that there should be no quarantine and the imposition of fees is just another Government abuse.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

So the proper right are insane, then?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Mr Mike wrote:
Tehui wrote:Interesting to read the reaction from some of the boardies about the intention to charge fees for the 14-day period re-entering NZ. I would have thought those on the Right would be supportive of it. I'm still trying to figure out whether your disagreement is due to the actual policy, or due to the team making the political decisions.
A proper right viewpoint would be that there should be no quarantine and the imposition of fees is just another Government abuse.

Just a guess, but I am assuming it is because they can think for themselves and can disagree with the National party, and not just blindly think everything Ardern the figurehead says is perfect.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Dark wrote:
Wignu wrote:
Dark wrote:
Sefton wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote: I have no expectations of you.

Actually I apologise and take that back, wasn't called for.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Wignu wrote:
Dark wrote:
Wignu wrote:
Dark wrote: Yeah well you'd be that stupid you thick cvnt.
Actually I apologise and take that back, wasn't called for.
No worries mate!