NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
guy smiley

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
EverReady wrote:How long does she think she can keep this up? Not trolling it just doesn't seem feasible to keep the country walled off this way
Feasibility is a challenging term right now. From the outside it seems that remaining closed off is not only doable economically (the economy is taking a massive hit of course, but not nosediving into disaster) but popular with casual polls revealing strong support and official polls showing incredible levels of support for the Labour Party who could govern alone on current polling, if not a first under MMP then certainly rare.

‘She’ can certainly stay the course until after the election in September. After that it’s a fair bet to suggest they will continue in govt and the policy of health before all else will continue.

Feasibility should include, after all, the health of the electorate. Business minds seem to struggle with that concept at times.

From my perspective, the Aus situation is a shitshow. I’m in South Australia... no community transmission for two months. Limited interstate travel has been underway for some time but the resurgence in Vic and NSW suggests none of us are out of the woods yet and the NZ govt’s position is understandable and reasonable. The Aus govt have decided to do nothing and delegate management of the country to a bunch of miners. If I was Ardern I’d stay right away as well.
Oh hi Muttonbird

There's what, a million Kiwis stuck in this-here shitshow? Sooner or later, they're going to want to see their families.
Yeah. All of us would like to be able to get home now. What’s your point here?

Taking exception to my description of the current situation? Sorry if I offend your sensibilities there but I don’t think it’s inaccurate.
shanky

Post by shanky »

The point...is that other factors are relevant and will come in to play. Other than the ones you mentioned...in your jingoistic spray

:thumbup:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that business travel without a 2 week quarantine will be necessary for NZ's economic revival.
The Film and TV industry is doing fine. This is not an insignificant sector in New Zealand and the protocols around bringing people in for medium term contracts was very quickly put in place by the guilds (Unions!) to be signed off by the MoH.

Perhaps other sectors could get off their ass and do the same instead of complaining?
Santa

Post by Santa »

I'm just had the misfortune of going on Facebook and what did I see but a load of New Zealanders mouthing off about how shit everyone else is, and that NZ was reaping the benefits having done 'the hard work'. What a bunch if plum, I thought. But then I thought no. That is not fair. New Zealanders clearly stayed home better than anyone else and every one should know about it. :thumbup:
shanky

Post by shanky »

Santa wrote:I'm just had the misfortune of going on Facebook and what did I see but a load of New Zealanders mouthing off about how shit everyone else is, and that NZ was reaping the benefits having done 'the hard work'. What a bunch if plum, I thought. But then I thought no. That is not fair. New Zealanders clearly stayed home better than anyone else and every one should know about it. :thumbup:
Interesting logic

So...

NZ being justly proud = free licence to call everyone else shit

It's an interesting position, I guess.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Santa wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that business travel without a 2 week quarantine will be necessary for NZ's economic revival.
The Film and TV industry is doing fine. This is not an insignificant sector in New Zealand and the protocols around bringing people in for medium term contracts was very quickly put in place by the guilds (Unions!) to be signed off by the MoH.

Perhaps other sectors could get off their ass and do the same instead of complaining?
Did you know that NZ business people sometimes like to visit other countries too? For exporting and such.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote:I'm just had the misfortune of going on Facebook and what did I see but a load of New Zealanders mouthing off about how shit everyone else is, and that NZ was reaping the benefits having done 'the hard work'. What a bunch if plum, I thought. But then I thought no. That is not fair. New Zealanders clearly stayed home better than anyone else and every one should know about it. :thumbup:
The very things you rail against in life; collectivism, social conscience and so called 'big government', are what has made New Zealand the envy of the world.

This is priceless capital were are generating now and we as a destination and investment location will reap huge rewards for decades to come. This is because of the Labour movement and in particular, Jacinda Ardern's leadership, in case you were in doubt.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:
shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Feasibility is a challenging term right now. From the outside it seems that remaining closed off is not only doable economically (the economy is taking a massive hit of course, but not nosediving into disaster) but popular with casual polls revealing strong support and official polls showing incredible levels of support for the Labour Party who could govern alone on current polling, if not a first under MMP then certainly rare.

‘She’ can certainly stay the course until after the election in September. After that it’s a fair bet to suggest they will continue in govt and the policy of health before all else will continue.

Feasibility should include, after all, the health of the electorate. Business minds seem to struggle with that concept at times.

From my perspective, the Aus situation is a shitshow. I’m in South Australia... no community transmission for two months. Limited interstate travel has been underway for some time but the resurgence in Vic and NSW suggests none of us are out of the woods yet and the NZ govt’s position is understandable and reasonable. The Aus govt have decided to do nothing and delegate management of the country to a bunch of miners. If I was Ardern I’d stay right away as well.
Oh hi Muttonbird

There's what, a million Kiwis stuck in this-here shitshow? Sooner or later, they're going to want to see their families.
They should have thought of that before moving to Australia. Poor life choices.
Lol

In the age of the new Ardern "Caring", " Be kind to each other" and "Team of 5 million"

It is quite funny to see how many of her most manic supporters are in looking after their own self interests
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

Did you know that NZ business people sometimes like to visit other countries too? For exporting and such.
They are free to go on sales trips. There is a small cost on return. Deal with it.

Perhaps businesses can offset the quarantine costs by flying their hotshot sales jocks economy instead of business class?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

I sincerely hope this forum is still running when Jacinda Ardern receives her well deserved Nobel Peace Prize.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:The point...is that other factors are relevant and will come in to play. Other than the ones you mentioned...in your jingoistic spray

The Federal govt is MIA again and offering no serious policy direction. Having a crack at that is jingoistic? Ardern’s position regarding any trans Tasman travel has been clear and consistent for the last couple of months. The current situation with the virus is deeply disappointing... it’s a shitshow. Hats off to the state premiers for how they’ve managed it so far in seriously difficult circumstances.

Like everyone else, I find myself trapped in many ways by circumstances well out of my control. The challenge is to maintain some sort of even keel, a sense of perspective and remain mindful of my own and others wellbeing and emotional health. All of us struggle in different ways. I’m part of one small group who have been on this side since early March. We all have family and commitments at home that we’d prefer to be with right now. I’m comfortable with the NZ government’s current stance regarding travel although I wish things were different.

Muttonbirds?

Get f**ked.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote:It is quite funny to see how many of her most manic supporters are in looking after their own self interests
Yes, I have turned around the meme often used by RW individualists when beneficiary bashing. Congrats for picking that up. :thumbup:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

guy smiley wrote:Muttonbirds?

Get f**ked.
I'm on your side. :?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:I sincerely hope this forum is still running when Jacinda Ardern receives her well deserved Nobel Peace Prize.
Would probably be good for the countries image.

And let's face it. If Obama can get one for doing nothing, she probably can for doing nothing.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Muttonbirds wrote:

Get f**ked.
No, you’re not. You’re a cunt.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Muttonbirds wrote:

Get f**ked.
How can you be on his side, you've just said that Kiwis stuck in Aus, tough shit, bad life choices, you do realize he's "suck" in Aus
Santa

Post by Santa »

Call me crazy but I just don't think relative pandemic response performance is the right topic for dick waving. It seems to me a sigh of relief and an acknowledgement about luck and the far greater complexities that almost every other country faces may be more appropriate.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

jambanja wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

Get f**ked.
How can you be on his side, you've just said that Kiwis stuck in Aus, tough shit, bad life choices, you do realize he's "suck" in Aus
He is not 'stuck in Aus'. GS can come home whenever he likes and JA has made it so he doesn't have to pay.

If GS wants to come home for a holiday he can, with a small cost.
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:The point...is that other factors are relevant and will come in to play. Other than the ones you mentioned...in your jingoistic spray

The Federal govt is MIA again and offering no serious policy direction. Having a crack at that is jingoistic? Ardern’s position regarding any trans Tasman travel has been clear and consistent for the last couple of months. The current situation with the virus is deeply disappointing... it’s a shitshow. Hats off to the state premiers for how they’ve managed it so far in seriously difficult circumstances.

Like everyone else, I find myself trapped in many ways by circumstances well out of my control. The challenge is to maintain some sort of even keel, a sense of perspective and remain mindful of my own and others wellbeing and emotional health. All of us struggle in different ways. I’m part of one small group who have been on this side since early March. We all have family and commitments at home that we’d prefer to be with right now. I’m comfortable with the NZ government’s current stance regarding travel although I wish things were different.

Muttonbirds?

Get f**ked.
Classic forumming

I'll leave you to it.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote:Call me crazy but I just don't think relative pandemic response performance is the right topic for dick waving. It seems to me a sigh of relief and an acknowledgement about luck and the far greater complexities that almost every other country faces may be more appropriate.
A favourite angle for the right wing is that New Zealand's position is down to good luck, and that other countries' position is down to bad luck.

Bullshit, and if that is the level of critical analysis on the right it is no wonder they are globally falling apart.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Santa wrote:Call me crazy but I just don't think relative pandemic response performance is the right topic for dick waving. It seems to me a sigh of relief and an acknowledgement about luck and the far greater complexities that almost every other country faces may be more appropriate.
A favourite angle for the right wing is that New Zealand's position is down to good luck, and that other countries' position is down to bad luck.

Bullshit, and if that is the level of critical analysis on the right it is no wonder they are globally falling apart.
So you reckon Kiwi staying at home was more skilful.than other countries?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:I sincerely hope this forum is still running when Jacinda Ardern receives her well deserved Nobel Peace Prize.

And let's face it. If Obama can get one for doing nothing, she probably can for doing nothing.
If it is to happen, I would rather it happened after she left office. She and we don't need yet another invented reason for whack jobs to criticise her.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:

Get f**ked.
Idiot
Muttonbirds wrote:They should have thought of that before moving to Australia. Poor life choices.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

So you reckon Kiwi staying at home was more skilful.than other countries?
Clearly.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Dark wrote:

If it is to happen, I would rather it happened after she left office. She and we don't need yet another invented reason for whack jobs to criticise her.
Would imagine she would prefer it on her CV for her UN job interview
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

EverReady wrote:How long does she think she can keep this up? Not trolling it just doesn't seem feasible to keep the country walled off this way
Anyway, I came here to reply to resident comedy duo, Ever Ready.

She'll keep it up until it's safe. We are waiting for the rest of the world to get their shit together. Or, until a vaccine or highly reliable Covid treatment is widely available.

There's probably a good chance that when New Zealand does open up some cases will enter but that will be at a point when our health system has the ability to treat and/or prevent it killing vulnerable people.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Could we ban Muttonbirds and Dark, just for the duration of the coronavirus? It would make this thread a lot more readable.
Santa can stay. At least he has a brain, even if he insists on misusing it.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

A-fvcking men. The gloating is horrendous.

It's like a thousand Muttonbirds all in the one spot.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

koroke hangareka wrote:Could we ban Muttonbirds and Dark, just for the duration of the coronavirus? It would make this thread a lot more readable.
I might report Muttonbirds for gloating about NZ's coronavirus efforts. Hopefully it arrives in the inbox of a sympathetic Thomas, and he banhammers the cvnt.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

koroke hangareka wrote:Could we ban Muttonbirds and Dark, just for the duration of the coronavirus? It would make this thread a lot more readable.

I have given up on them until after the election
This post was made by Muttonbirds who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by Dark who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by Muttonbirds who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by Dark who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Makes the thread tolerable (Harveys2.0 is gone too)
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote:

Surprised you could work out how to do that.

Well done
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Flockwitt wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
To support what Guy said, the actual feeling out in public in NZ is that yes the economy is coping with no International travel (although the longer it goes on the harder it will be for business) but everyone seems to be happy to be closed off and keep covid out.

I haven't had a single person mention to me that we should open the borders and things like Australia's current situation just reinforce peoples resolve. I would be surprised if we have any open travel internationally before Christmas time.
Fair enough too. With Covid vaccines in the news everyday there looks to be a genuine chance that something will come available in a manageable time frame and the longer we can hold out the better the chance. That and the fact everybody is aware how damaging a second lock down would be. Reduced business is far better than no business and ruined stock.
That about sums up my position.

There are not too many arguing otherwise, the odd loon and self-entitled excepted.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

New Zealanders in general are obviously made of such inferior stuff when compared to your good self...... well it's simply baffling to know how we haven't developed a severe cultural cringe at the mere contemplation of your magnificence, sir. :nod:
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Spoiler: show

Well done
He can't see that, Dark.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

jdogscoop wrote:

I suspect you are more correct than you know. ;)
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Yep. I'm pretty happy to be inside the fishbowl knowing everything outside it is burning or getting it's fringe singed.

We didn't start the fire and we've no control over how folk fight the fire. Were not leaping into the flames because that's where everyone else is either.

Industries are functioning, exports are going out the door.
We need to find some work for a bunch of folk and we will.
We're not running out of food or water.

I'd say we can hold out as long as we like or is necessary.
Desperate times desperate measures, a bit of sacrifice for the greater good won't do us any wrong.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

jdogscoop wrote:

Yeah. Facebook.
Dark

Post by Dark »

koroke hangareka wrote:
Dark wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Spoiler: show

Well done
He can't see that, Dark.
He can

Everyone knows Enz holds too much deep seated respect for me he wouldn't put me on ignore.

He is my mentor.

Like that dude in Karate kid who makes the kid wax on and wax off.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I don’t see much gloating, though it probably explains the OTT responses I sometimes get when I say I think, as a nation, we did pretty well. I guess I don’t move in those circles, but I can guess how insufferable it would be, largely based on the Mong.