NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Fat Old Git

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

guy smiley wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Santa wrote:I'm just had the misfortune of going on Facebook and what did I see but a load of New Zealanders mouthing off about how shit everyone else is, and that NZ was reaping the benefits having done 'the hard work'. What a bunch if plum, I thought. But then I thought no. That is not fair. New Zealanders clearly stayed home better than anyone else and every one should know about it. :thumbup:
A-fvcking men. The gloating is horrendous.

It's like a thousand Muttonbirds all in the one spot.

Yeah. Facebook.
Where you can see the world's Karens and Garrys roaming free in their natural habitat.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Fat Old Git wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Santa wrote:I'm just had the misfortune of going on Facebook and what did I see but a load of New Zealanders mouthing off about how shit everyone else is, and that NZ was reaping the benefits having done 'the hard work'. What a bunch if plum, I thought. But then I thought no. That is not fair. New Zealanders clearly stayed home better than anyone else and every one should know about it. :thumbup:

Yeah. Facebook.
Where you can see the world's Karens and Garrys roaming free in their natural habitat.
With Santa. Purley for research purposes, I imagine.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

jdogscoop wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:Could we ban Muttonbirds and Dark, just for the duration of the coronavirus? It would make this thread a lot more readable.
Santa can stay. At least he has a brain, even if he insists on misusing it.
I might report Muttonbirds for gloating about NZ's coronavirus efforts. Hopefully it arrives in the inbox of a sympathetic Thomas, and he banhammers the cvnt.
I'm not gloating. I am annoyed at the constant refrain from some both in NZ and overseas that we didn't need to go to L4 because you can get away with it at L3. Clearly you can't in some places. It seems an extraordinary risk to gamble on what might or might not work.

I've said it all along, NZ has some real weaknesses around health capacity, climate and housing quality which drove our response. Our was the right one.

Also I'm fascinated by the messaging. Ours was clear from the outset with solid support from government at the same time. This meant everyone recognised the seriousness of the situation, and had everyone playing by the rules. That seems to have been a major issue with the response in Australia.

It is really good to see Melbourne taking this so seriously now and actually putting people's health ahead of the economy.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Ah there's an election imminent. Fair enough all round then particularly if widespread support
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

You whine a lot.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Ted. wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:

Yeah. Facebook.
I wanted to look at a picture of my father.

And you're right. Facebook is a pretty niche place and not a venue where literally billions of people across the globe talk shit about shit all day every day, so probably not indicative of anything.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Spoiler: show
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Tehui wrote:
You whine a lot.
I don't blame Seneca and others for not quite grasping what we did here. It's impossible to know when you are not on the ground doing it. Complaints from abroad about our sense of achievement show zero understanding of the very clear messaging we all got here, and probably an envy they didn't get the same messaging from the start.

Remember, NZ and the UK went into a (different) lockdown pretty much on the same day. We've since had 8 rounds of Super Rugby Aotearoa with capacity crowds. The FA Cup final was played last weekend in front of an empty stadium.

That might be gloating a bit, but I don't apologise for it. Britain voted for that clown so a circus is what they got.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Tehui wrote:
You whine a lot.
I don't blame Seneca and others for not quite grasping what we did here. It's impossible to know when you are not on the ground doing it. Complaints from abroad about our sense of achievement show zero understanding of the very clear messaging we all got here, and probably an envy they didn't get the same messaging from the start.

Remember, NZ and the UK went into a (different) lockdown pretty much on the same day. We've since had 8 rounds of Super Rugby Aotearoa with capacity crowds. The FA Cup final was played last weekend in front of an empty stadium.

That could be construed as gloating, but I don't apologise for it.
I think most people would have worked this out a while ago.

It could be worse. You could be embarrassing your fellow countrymen on a global forum, with your arrogent self importance and complete lack of sympathy for others, who didn't luck out.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Tehui wrote:
You whine a lot.

It could be worse. You could be embarrassing your fellow countrymen on a global forum, with your arrogent self importance and complete lack of sympathy for others, who didn't luck out.
Stop it. It wasn't luck, it was good management! I don't blame Seneca for spreading the falsehood that NZ 'got lucky' because he wasn't here. But you were...
Santa

Post by Santa »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Tehui wrote:
You whine a lot.

That might be gloating a bit, but I don't apologise for it. Britain voted for that clown so a circus is what they got.
It's a great point. How many people do you think we're infected at that point in each country? The same amount or did one have hundreds and maybe thousands more than the other?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Tehui wrote:
You whine a lot.

Stop it. It wasn't luck, it was good management! I don't blame Seneca for spreading the falsehood that NZ 'got lucky' because he wasn't here. But you were...
Yeah ok Mutton

Nothing to do with being on the arse end of nowhere
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I'm convinced that if NZ's COVID results were the other way around, that one group of you would suddenly change the narrative by saying that it was bad luck, and other group would change and say it was bad management. The only thing that would stay the same would be multiple posts by the same posters desperately trying to get that crucial last word in that wins the argument.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Tehui wrote:I'm convinced that if NZ's COVID results were the other way around, that one group of you would suddenly change the narrative by saying that it was bad luck, and other group would change and say it was bad management. The only thing that would stay the same would be multiple posts by the same posters desperately trying to get that crucial last word in that wins the argument.
:nod:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Tehui wrote:
You whine a lot.

It's a great point. How many people do you think we're infected at that point in each country? The same amount or did one have hundreds and maybe thousands more than the other?
Agreed. Britain locked down 14 days too late. This was well covered at the time.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Tehui wrote:
You whine a lot.

It was luck. While we were in lockdown you could still get off a plane from overseas and head to the supermarket. Self isolation was on an honour system till Simon Bridges forced the governments hand by starting a petition to get them to quarantine people coming into the country.

We were very, very lucky there was no community outbreak , stop trying to pretend otherwise. Your gloating about our luck in not having a the sort of death toll other countries are experiencing in spite of the mistakes the government made is obnoxious even by the lowly standards I expect of you.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Jacinda Ardern targets Isaac Butterfield.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12353394

I wonder who will win...
Santa

Post by Santa »

Harvey2.0 wrote:It was luck. While we were in lockdown you could still get off a plane from overseas and head to the supermarket. Self isolation was on an honour system till Simon Bridges forced the governments hand by starting a petition to get them to quarantine people coming into the country.

We were very, very lucky there was no community outbreak , stop trying to pretend otherwise. Your gloating about our luck in not having a the sort of death toll other countries are experiencing in spite of the mistakes the government made is obnoxious even by the lowly standards I expect of you.
Not all of it. It wasn't luck that NZ doesn't have a direct travel route with one of the early hotspots (norther Italy) where tons of families took holidays before the seriousness was known. That was geography. And the skill of Jacinda Ardern.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Good to see National commit to extending electrification to Otaki. But why stop there? Demand is growing massively in Levin and these places are likely to expand further in the future.

So, the Greens policy is for big extensions of commuter rail. National have committed to Otaki. Labour have funded extension through to Pukekohe.

Will we see any other similar commitments in this election round? Anyone keen to finish Pukekohe to Te Rapa or Waikanae to Palmy? When compared to any of the RoNS projects, the numbers touted for electrification seem relatively small (though station upgrades and the like soon hike the cost). Electrification to Otaki has been touted to cost $100-140m including additional trains (http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/98 ... too-costly), but National have said it'll cost $300m (which presumably includes some new stations at Peka Peka or Te Horo or something). In contrast, the Horowhenua Expressway would cost nearly $1bn. So, you could probably get electrification + trains + station upgrades all the way to PN for about the same cost.

Anyway, apologies for talking policy amongst all the semantic tripe.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Tehui wrote:
Spoiler: show
:lol: :thumbup:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Santa wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Yeah. Facebook.
I wanted to look at a picture of my father.

And you're right. Facebook is a pretty niche place and not a venue where literally billions of people across the globe talk shit about shit all day every day, so probably not indicative of anything.
Oh look, Santa has missed the point and then replied with a sarcastic comment against something no one was suggesting. It's almost as if that's a deliberate MO...
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Jeez Santa......just undo the vice and give your balls a break....
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Gordon Bennett wrote:Good to see National commit to extending electrification to Otaki. But why stop there? Demand is growing massively in Levin and these places are likely to expand further in the future.

So, the Greens policy is for big extensions of commuter rail. National have committed to Otaki. Labour have funded extension through to Pukekohe.

Will we see any other similar commitments in this election round? Anyone keen to finish Pukekohe to Te Rapa or Waikanae to Palmy? When compared to any of the RoNS projects, the numbers touted for electrification seem relatively small (though station upgrades and the like soon hike the cost). Electrification to Otaki has been touted to cost $100-140m including additional trains (http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/98 ... too-costly), but National have said it'll cost $300m (which presumably includes some new stations at Peka Peka or Te Horo or something). In contrast, the Horowhenua Expressway would cost nearly $1bn. So, you could probably get electrification + trains + station upgrades all the way to PN for about the same cost.

Anyway, apologies for talking policy amongst all the semantic tripe.
Just a small request: if you don't know what semantic means could you stop using the word?
Yes, I know this post is somewhat semantic itself.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

So, dental health anyone? And refusing to release a report into it? Probably just as well they have a scapegoat.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

koroke hangareka wrote:
Just a small request: if you don't know what semantic means could you stop using the word?
I do know what semantics are. I fear you have missed my point and are unfortunately carrying on avoiding discussing policy and instead moving the conversation back to irrelevances.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Gordon Bennett wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:
I do know what semantics are. I fear you have missed my point and are unfortunately carrying on avoiding discussing policy and instead moving the conversation back to irrelevances.
Well, at least you're right about my post, if no other.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Fat Old Git wrote:So, dental health anyone? And refusing to release a report into it? Probably just as well they have a scapegoat.
The now former health minister Clark? :lol:

It is interesting that the most open and transparent government we've ever had tried to block it's release.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

jambanja wrote:
Tehui wrote:I'm convinced that if NZ's COVID results were the other way around, that one group of you would suddenly change the narrative by saying that it was bad luck, and other group would change and say it was bad management. The only thing that would stay the same would be multiple posts by the same posters desperately trying to get that crucial last word in that wins the argument.
:nod:
One for JDog and Mutton to debate?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... 5GuGePwlgE
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

I'm trying to give it a breather, actually. You wouldn't be stoking division, would you?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

booji boy wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:So, dental health anyone? And refusing to release a report into it? Probably just as well they have a scapegoat.

It is interesting that the most open and transparent government we've ever had tried to block it's release.

Twas ever thus

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... d-children

I have done a quick search to see what this is about and nothing. Do you have a link or more info?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Found this - it was first discussed last week from memory

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... -flounders
It comes as a bill that would transfer decision-making powers over water fluoridation from territorial authorities to district health boards (DHBs) appears to be floundering.

The bill was introduced in 2016 and passed its first reading that year with broad support. New Zealand First opposed it. There has been no progress since a health select committee report came back in 2017.

Beaglehole said he understood there was a lack of agreement between the Government parties, adding the NZDA was disappointed it had become a political issue.

The association hoped the bill would pass under urgency in the next term, he said. “The reason being is it would dramatically reduce the pain and suffering of our young children.”

In a statement issued on Wednesday, before he resigned as Health Minister, David Clark said the bill was "part of our legislative agenda".

"New Zealand First is not responsible for progressing nor delaying this legislation," a spokeswoman for the party said.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Twas ever thus

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... d-children

I have done a quick search to see what this is about and nothing. Do you have a link or more info?
Took a while to find it. A simple Google search didn't work. I saw it on 3 News last night. Here it is on the Newshub site.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... ecret.html
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

From that report
The Government spends about $100 million a year on adult dental care through District Health Boards, WINZ grants, and ACC dental accidents.
Holy shit - an ounce of prevention required perhaps
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Enzedder wrote:From that report
The Government spends about $100 million a year on adult dental care through District Health Boards, WINZ grants, and ACC dental accidents.
Holy shit - an ounce of prevention required perhaps
Mind you, a friend of mine was in hospital for 7 days last week with an abscess in a wisdom tooth that hadn't yet penetrated the gum. The abscess got infected (badly) and they couldn't operate (or even give him an anaesthetic) until the swelling had gone down. Not sure (though the resident dentists can surely correct me) whether that would be wholly avoidable with better dental hygiene. 7 days in hospital + surgery to remove the wisdom tooth would surely be quite expensive, and I doubt he's the only one who's had such an affliction!

Poor bastard. His face was so swollen, it looked like he had a goitre.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Gordon Bennett wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:
It's a good question: Are we actually going to get any policy out of Labour before the election?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:
It's a good question: Are we actually going to get any policy out of Labour before the election?
Ah, good. Seneca from leafy Kensington has picked up the latest meme from the National Party, 1ZB and David Farrar and is ready to promote it on their behalf.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Santa wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:
They may have been a bit busy running the country. :P

Their election brib... campaign starts this Saturday so tune in. From what I can see, you've got all of their policies already.

Same with Nationals - build some roads in 8 years
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Labour is giving that same message themselves aren’t they Muttonbird, i.e. don’t expect much different? This was from yesterday.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is warning voters not to expect any large-scale Labour policies this election, as her party's priority is the Covid-19 recovery.

"What we will be doing over this election period is adding some additional aspects [of policy]," she said.

"But I would flag to voters not to expect to see the large scale manifestos that are a significant departure from what we are doing."
Santa

Post by Santa »

JB1981 wrote:Labour is giving that same message themselves aren’t they Muttonbird, i.e. don’t expect much different? This was from yesterday.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is warning voters not to expect any large-scale Labour policies this election, as her party's priority is the Covid-19 recovery.

"What we will be doing over this election period is adding some additional aspects [of policy]," she said.

"But I would flag to voters not to expect to see the large scale manifestos that are a significant departure from what we are doing."
It's the trust me election. It's an approach that flies in the face of all political philosophy that underpins democracy but Jacinda wouldn't know that because she hasn't read or inculcated any. Neither, by the looks, have most New Zealanders.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Judith Collins cannot count to ten in te reo. That's about as bad as the PM's GDP gaffe :lol: