NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Muttonbirds

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

Here is the issue with a proposed 'Pacific Bubble':
The Fiji Government has a big decision to make. Open up just to Kiwis, or leave the door open for the lucrative - and considerably more risky - US and Asian markets.
It is all very well having dedicated transit lanes for travellers to and from Pacific Islands, but are those Pacific Islands also entertaining travellers from heavily Covid affected countries?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinat ... -for-kiwis
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Kahu wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Kahu wrote:Maybe you could try answering your own question Dark. My guess is the enormous cost to the taxpayer and effort of introducing fluoridation makes it a dead duck to a party already perceived as being 'generous'.

As for JuCo although I intend to vote for her, the inability to count in te reo was the equivalent of looking a gift horse in the mouth. I doubt it will affect her standing with her entrenched base but it was one of those little things that would have improved her standing to desperately needed votes and she blew it.
You're a South Auckland boy, Kahu?
South Taranaki, Harete Hipango is our local MP for Whanganui and I'll be giving 2 ticks blue. Last election I split my vote between Labour and Hipango which I would have most likely repeated had Bridges or Muller remained leader.
:thumbup:

I was thinking of Splitting my vote between Chris Bishop and Labour, though I couldn't stand Bridges and thought Muller was meh. I quite liked our Judith, but must admit I've gone off her a bit since she's wrested the reigns from Muller's faltering grasp, so it might be two ticks in the red box. Bishop is a shoe in anyway, I think.
Last edited by Ted. on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

terangi48 wrote:Interesting to see J Key as the National spokesman at the moment........suggesting all sorts of things.

The one thing I'd like to know.....and JuCo has hinted at.......what NZ Assets are going to be sold down?

JK's short-sightedness on selling power generation as the oil era comes to an end this century, was a huge error for the nation. If current ownership was known today, i dont think there would be many mum and Dad investors on the list. Energy, like water and the environment, are essential to our kids and NZ's future.

It'll be the voters job to view/dig out each of the parties policies this time round......

and are we better to have as the economy is realigned......

Healthy citizens operating in a local closed-border economy?

........or........

Covid 19 affected citizens in an open border economy?
Great post Terangi.

I would love for the media to begin drilling down on Collins' and Goldie's intentions regarding asset sales. Kiwis need to know this as much as they need to know about tax changes.

And a great choice for Kiwis this election. Labour = Health Party, and National = Covid Party.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Ted. wrote:
Kahu wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Kahu wrote:Maybe you could try answering your own question Dark. My guess is the enormous cost to the taxpayer and effort of introducing fluoridation makes it a dead duck to a party already perceived as being 'generous'.

As for JuCo although I intend to vote for her, the inability to count in te reo was the equivalent of looking a gift horse in the mouth. I doubt it will affect her standing with her entrenched base but it was one of those little things that would have improved her standing to desperately needed votes and she blew it.
South Taranaki, Harete Hipango is our local MP for Whanganui and I'll be giving 2 ticks blue. Last election I split my vote between Labour and Hipango which I would have most likely repeated had Bridges or Muller remained leader.

I was thinking of Splitting my vote between Chris Bishop and Labour, though I couldn't stand Bridges and though Muller was meh. I quite liked our Judith, but must admit I've gone off her a bit since she's wrested the reigns from Muller's faltering grasp, so it might be two ticks in the red box. Bishop is a shoe in anyway, I think.
Really? Bishop has a majority of just 1500 votes. This electorate is going to Ginny Andersen in six weeks time.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Muttonbirds wrote:
terangi48 wrote:Interesting to see J Key as the National spokesman at the moment........suggesting all sorts of things.

The one thing I'd like to know.....and JuCo has hinted at.......what NZ Assets are going to be sold down?

JK's short-sightedness on selling power generation as the oil era comes to an end this century, was a huge error for the nation. If current ownership was known today, i dont think there would be many mum and Dad investors on the list. Energy, like water and the environment, are essential to our kids and NZ's future.

It'll be the voters job to view/dig out each of the parties policies this time round......

and are we better to have as the economy is realigned......

Healthy citizens operating in a local closed-border economy?

........or........

Covid 19 affected citizens in an open border economy?
Great post Terangi.

I would love for the media to begin drilling down on Collins' and Goldie's intentions regarding asset sales. Kiwis need to know this as much as they need to know about tax changes.

And a great choice for Kiwis this election. Labour = rape culture and cover up Party, and National = the nowhere near as many creeps Party
Made a slight edit

Also https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... at-it-said

Muttonbird when you get banned again I'm deleting my account, in the meantime every time you post garbage like "covid party" I'm going to point out the seedy goings on within labour you refuse to acknowledge or address.
Have a nice day
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Are you trying to fox the mods?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

MODs, MODs, MODs!

For fucks sake, over here. No, not here, look up.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Kahu wrote:
Ted. wrote:

I was thinking of Splitting my vote between Chris Bishop and Labour, though I couldn't stand Bridges and though Muller was meh. I quite liked our Judith, but must admit I've gone off her a bit since she's wrested the reigns from Muller's faltering grasp, so it might be two ticks in the red box. Bishop is a shoe in anyway, I think.
Really? Bishop has a majority of just 1500 votes. This electorate is going to Ginny Andersen in six weeks time.
Not judging by the number of billboards around. Bishop’s winning that hands down. And Anderson is a weak candidate. Bishop has a massive constituency presence that Anderson doesn’t. Hutt South will go red again, but it needs a better quality candidate than Anderson methinks. Reckon there’ll be a fair number going Bishop/Labour.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Flockwitt wrote:Watties spaghetti and sausages on white bread toast. For 14 days. Like it or leave. That’ll sort the border out. :lol:
And it is a kind of purity test.

Spaghetti and pineapple pizza or do you think the UN may intervene?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Ted. wrote:MODs, MODs, MODs!

:lol:
Santa

Post by Santa »

Mr Mike wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:Watties spaghetti and sausages on white bread toast. For 14 days. Like it or leave. That’ll sort the border out. :lol:
And it is a kind of purity test.

Spaghetti and pineapple pizza or do you think the UN may intervene?
That combination is so shit it's not even culturally appropriated.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ted. wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:Best solution to me is not to give kids fizzy drinks. My daughter only really drinks milk and water (her choice!) No teeth issues.
I've never had a filling ... grew up with fluoride in the water.

Does lactose (which i think is the sugar in milk) not cause decay like other sugars? Or is there not enough in milk for it to be an issue? Or am I talking out of my arse and it's not a sugar at all?
Unprocessed, I don't think lactose is as accessible as some of the other sugars commonly used in food and drinks, such as sucrose and fructose.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Thinking the same here in Selwyn Ted......a cow painted red could stand for MP here and it'd still be two blue ticks. Humming and hawing bteween a red and a green tick, two green ticks or two red ticks.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Ted. wrote:MODs, MODs, MODs!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I'll be that rare breed of Rangitata voter giving it two red ticks I think.

I probably would gave given the local vote to Falloon as I thought he was a good man and was certainly out and about in the district. I just had no idea he was a bit of a sex pest.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

The only thing I'm certain of is that Bulldozer Brownlee won't be getting my tick.
Dark

Post by Dark »

I see that Labour have "Accidently" leaked they are looking at extending sick leave from 5 days to 10.

Brilliant idea when they are turfing the wage subsidy in a wee bit.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Obviously Siouxsie Wiles feels she hasn’t had enough attention lately

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... touch.html
Dark

Post by Dark »

Harvey2.0 wrote:Obviously Siouxsie Wiles feels she hasn’t had enough attention lately

Did someone seriously name their kid after Siouxsie And The Banshees?

FFS

It wouldn't be so bad if their music wasn't so shit
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Harvey2.0 wrote:Obviously Siouxsie Wiles feels she hasn’t had enough attention lately

Wiles is great. Used to love her segments on Graeme Hill's fantastic but now sadly no more radio show debunking conspiracy theories.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Neither does your fellow pandemic denier, John Key, who has been wheeled out for the National Party's election campaigning.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Meanwhile.

Apparently having a wank in front of little kids is now ok as long as you have jet lag.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/ ... conviction
Uproar after man who masturbated in front of child at pool escapes conviction

A decision to allow a man to escape conviction for masturbating in front of a child in a public changing room was inappropriate and could put further children at risk, a victims’ advocate says.

The 25-year-old man, who was granted permanent name suppression, previously pleaded guilty to one charge of wilfully doing an indecent act at the West Wave Pools and Leisure Centre in Henderson, West Auckland.

He was discharged without conviction by Judge Kevin Glubb at the Waitākere District Court on July 30.

At the hearing, Judge Glubb said the man was in the pool’s male changing area on July 16, 2019 with an unaccompanied child, who was putting clothes on.

Judge Glubb said the man proceeded to remove his own clothes, strip naked and began masturbating while watching the child changing.

A witness, who entered the changing room, noticed what was happening and yelled at the 25-year-old to stop. The man did stop and “apologised profusely”.

The child’s father became aware of what happened, and reported the incident to staff who called police and arrested the man.

During his sentencing hearing, Judge Glubb said although the man was currently unemployed, he had early childhood education training.

Whether that was a “suitable outcome remains to be seen”, he said.

Sensible Sentencing Trust spokeswoman Jess McVicar said the man’s discharge without conviction was not “appropriate at all”.

“To us, it’s just showing the way that [New Zealand] is trying to get the crime statistics down and trying to get prison muster down.”

McVicar said it was a huge concern the man could possibly work in early childhood education again as his name suppression meant no-one would know he had come before the courts.

Save the Children spokeswoman Jacqui Southey said the incident that occurred was “clearly sexual harm to a child”.

“We do hold concerns on whether a discharge without conviction will prevent further incidents of harm to children,” she said.

“It prompts us to ask the question of how the best interests of the child were taken into account in relation to decisions made in this case.”

During his sentencing hearing, Judge Glubb said although the man was currently unemployed, he had early childhood education training.

Whether that was a “suitable outcome remains to be seen”, he said.

Sensible Sentencing Trust spokeswoman Jess McVicar said the man’s discharge without conviction was not “appropriate at all”.

“To us, it’s just showing the way that [New Zealand] is trying to get the crime statistics down and trying to get prison muster down.”

McVicar said it was a huge concern the man could possibly work in early childhood education again as his name suppression meant no-one would know he had come before the courts.

Save the Children spokeswoman Jacqui Southey said the incident that occurred was “clearly sexual harm to a child”.

“We do hold concerns on whether a discharge without conviction will prevent further incidents of harm to children,” she said.

“It prompts us to ask the question of how the best interests of the child were taken into account in relation to decisions made in this case.

McVicar said the decision could cause the victim to lose faith in the justice system.

The bar for granting name suppression also needed to be reviewed, she said.

“Name suppression is technically meant to be in place to protect the victim or if there is an honest threat against the offender’s life or their family. We are using name suppression more and more to hide certain things.

“People need to know where they can or cannot be safe.”

Judge Glubb said factors such as the man’s early guilty plea, his unblemished record and young age were taken into account when making his decision.

He said reports showed the man had suffered neglect in the past, which had impacted on his life.

Judge Glubb also said the man claimed he had changed his epilepsy medication around the time of the offence.

He had also recently returned from the Philippines, which could have resulted in jet-lag that impacted his mental wellbeing.

Judge Glubb said the man posed a low risk of reoffending and was well-supported by his family.

He said he was satisfied the man’s mental health issues significantly reduced his culpability and believed a conviction would have “appreciable” consequences for him.

Police said they accepted Judge Glubb’s decision to exercise discretion in sentencing.
Last edited by Dark on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

mr bungle wrote:

Wiles is great. Used to love her segments on Graeme Hill's fantastic but now sadly no more radio show debunking conspiracy theories.
3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:

Neither does your fellow pandemic denier, John Key, who has been wheeled out for the National Party's election campaigning.
With Helen Clark?
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

With Helen Clark?
It’s different when a former labour pm does it .

Is there any evidence that John Key ever denied there’s a pandemic ? I know I never did . I wonder why Muttonbird saw fit to add it to his post?
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Dark wrote:

Did someone seriously name their kid after Siouxsie And The Banshees?

FFS

It wouldn't be so bad if their music wasn't so shit
She changed her name , it’s a look at me affectation like the pink hair . Pre covid her other attempt at fame was a Ted talk about the burning issue of gender normativity in LEGO mini figures.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F8a731O7IM8

She is to science as Nigel Latta is to psychology.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Harvey2.0 wrote:
Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

With Helen Clark?

Is there any evidence that John Key ever denied there’s a pandemic ? I know I never did . I wonder why Muttonbird saw fit to add it to his post?
He's part of the 'open up' brigade who quietly and not so quietly scoff at the idea the government's health response should over-ride the government's economic response.

They believe the pandemic should be 'managed' rather that eradicated. You only have to look at Melbourne to see how that turns out.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

With Helen Clark?

He's part of the 'open up' brigade who quietly and not so quietly scoff at the idea the government's health response should over-ride the government's economic response.

They believe the pandemic should be 'managed' rather that eradicated. You only have to look at Melbourne to see how that turns out.
So he never actually denied theres and pandemic and you admit you’re lying ? Thanks for that
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Dark wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:

With Helen Clark?

Maybe he does think we should open up more, along with Former Labour PM and Ardern mentor, who Ardern has admitted she has based her entire philosophy on in adoration and complete acquiescence, Helen Clark.

But Arderns hero Clark is entitled to have her opinion, even if you disagree with Ardern's hero Helen Clark, the former much hailed Labour PM of 9 years and Ardern's mentor and sole confidant
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

It pleases me that four years after he retired the ponytail fetishist is still taking up so much space in the heads of far left weirdos like Muttonbird.

I wonder if he will ever get over Key winning three elections?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Harvey2.0 wrote:It pleases me that four years after he retired the ponytail fetishist is still taking up so much space in the heads of far left weirdos like Muttonbird.

It is pretty bad.

I mean why so much hate for the bloke?

He is best mates with Obama, The Queen, Prince William, Prince Harry, the All Blacks, massively successful businessman who grew up in poverty and made something of himself.

Yet people like Muttonbird seem to instantly start seething when you mention the name.

The Right Honourable Sir John Key, GNZM, AC, HDocCom

Or as most people know him and how he likes to be called. "Johnno", as he is just that kind of guy.

Just one of us good blokes.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Christ, get a room you lot.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Harvey2.0 wrote:It pleases me that four years after he retired the ponytail fetishist is still taking up so much space in the heads of far left weirdos like Muttonbird.

I can only imagine given the current posting the mindfvck that Jacinda and 'the Coalition' will continue to give certain posters for years to come.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Time to lift the level of discussion. Let's see who is capable.

This is a very interesting piece about New Zealand's role in (potentially) containing China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IodncMroGw

Is Jacinda the leader for the times?
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Wignu wrote:

I can only imagine given the current posting the mindfvck that Jacinda and 'the Coalition' will continue to give certain posters for years to come.
I think it will pale in comparison to the despair the resident simp crew will feel when she eventually gets the arse at the ballot. It'll be like Dianas funeral all over again without the coffin , the likes of Guy Smiley and Muttonbird curled up on the sofa under a duvet tearfully watching her valedictory speech wishing they could swap places with Gayford and bask in the reflected glow of her halo. Elton John probably has some mawkish version of candle in the wind ready should the unthinkable happen now or more likely in 2023, Hillary Barry and John Campbell will choke up on air when they try to announce she's leaving us for the promised land in New York where she'll lead a department of the UN and regularly post selfies on instagram with the likes of Bono or flavours of the week like Greta Thunberg while hanging out with the Davos crowd..
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wignu wrote:

I think it will pale in comparison to the despair the resident simp crew will feel when she eventually gets the arse at the ballot. It'll be like Dianas funeral all over again without the coffin , the likes of Guy Smiley and Muttonbird curled up on the sofa under a duvet tearfully watching her valedictory speech wishing they could swap places with Gayford and bask in the reflected glow of her halo. Elton John probably has some mawkish version of candle in the wind ready should the unthinkable happen now or more likely in 2023, Hillary Barry and John Campbell will choke up on air when they try to announce she's leaving us for the promised land in New York where she'll lead a department of the UN and regularly post selfies on instagram with the likes of Bono or flavours of the week like Greta Thunberg while hanging out with the Davos crowd..
I give you exhibit A
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I heard a stat today that half a million eligible voters aren’t enrolled to vote yet. And around 250,000 of them are under the age of 30. I don't care which party they support, that's a depressing statistic.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Thanks Christ. Young people are f**king awful.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Santa wrote:Thanks Christ. Young people are f**king awful.

:lol: :lol:
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Wignu wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:
Wignu wrote:

I give you exhibit A
Yeah, i think you may have actually missed the point a bit there mate . Anyway Liam Hehir wrote an interesting piece about Ardern the conservative, I think he might have confused a miserable record with delivering on policy promises with being a conservative but its still worth a read.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/06-08 ... servative/