NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Harvey2.0

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Harveys wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:15 pm
booji boy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:11 pm Let's just agree that those comparing Jacinda to the Nazi's are the lunatic fringe and not part of the mainstream opposition.
There are idiots everywhere take MB for example, he spews his deluded resentment on any forum that is yet to ban his poisonous arse.
Jastapo sums up Muttonbirds quite nicely, it’s not hard to imagine he’d enjoy being a guard at a Gulag.
Ardern doesn’t get to pick her fans though and I’d imagine she’d be horrified by his online and presumably offline behaviour just like she would that drunk woman’s tweets about Wong Tung .

There does seem to be a widely held belief amongst the left though that their politics are some sort of shield they can hide behind while being awful people . Guy Smiley and Muttonbirds are classic examples of this.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

As if on cue two section-able right wing nutters prove the point about the lunatic fringe.

Enjoy your next 5G march fellas. :nod:
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Harvey2.0 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:23 pm
booji boy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:11 pm Let's just agree that those comparing Jacinda to the Nazi's are the lunatic fringe and not part of the mainstream opposition.
There are idiots everywhere take MB for example, he spews his deluded resentment on any forum that is yet to ban his poisonous arse.
Jastapo sums up Muttonbirds quite nicely, it’s not hard to imagine he’d enjoy being a guard at a Gulag.
Ardern doesn’t get to pick her fans though and I’d imagine she’d be horrified by his online and presumably offline behaviour just like she would that drunk woman’s tweets about Wong Tung .

There does seem to be a widely held belief amongst the left though that their politics are some sort of shield they can hide behind while being awful people . Guy Smiley and Muttonbirds are classic examples of this.

Personally I think that pure projection , you’ve always seemed more than a little unbalanced yourself . Unhinged even .
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Hareaway wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:17 am And while I’m at it , all you here that refer to Judith Collins as Mrs Wong Tung .. that is latent racism and you all know it . If we had an actual Mod this may be stopped . Shame that we have come to this .
Well, really. I can't believe how precious National party voters have become. "Mrs Wong Tung" might be a little sexist but it's not the slightest bit racist, even latently.
grouch

Post by grouch »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:36 am
Hareaway wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:17 am And while I’m at it , all you here that refer to Judith Collins as Mrs Wong Tung .. that is latent racism and you all know it . If we had an actual Mod this may be stopped . Shame that we have come to this .
Well, really. I can't believe how precious National party voters have become. "Mrs Wong Tung" might be a little sexist but it's not the slightest bit racist, even latently.
Mea Culpa , I coined the phrase referring to Collins as Mrs Wong Tung.
It is intended to be derogatory.

I have used it for number of years as a means of raising awareness of the influence over the National party machine by the PRC.

Mrs Wong Tung [ as she is the wife of Mr Wong Tung] and her partner are pivotal in a very unhealthy relationship between NZ parliamentarians and an unelected Dictatorship with a very aggressive foreign policy program.

One of my great criticisms of Cindy's government is that they have not publicly investigated and purged our sovereign nation of this alarming behaviour.

Probably because they too depend on anonymous/devious financial support for electioneering as well.

PS You Gnat supporters need to chill out , the next 3 years are going to be long and painful and if Ms Adern actually uses some of the talent in the back benches in her cabinet instead of the oxygen thieves who supported her appointment as leader then there's every reason to believe that the 3 years may well turn into 6.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Do you consider it as bad as using “Cindy”?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

JB1981 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:13 am
Of course not. On the surface it's formal and respectful, if anything.

I used it independently of grouch here and maybe one other place only recently and in direct response to Collins' woeful excuse for her husband's facebook postings of anti-Ardern material, including one ripped directly from the BFD, and one using official government Covid-19 material with which to attack the PM. Collins said 'she couldn't control him because he was an ex-rugby player and ex-cop.' :roll:

Looks like he wears the pants, so Mrs Wong-Tung it is.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

:lol: I'm sure the all wise, all knowing, moderate and balanced Guy Smiley will just love being associated with Muttonbird.
Last edited by booji boy on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

It's a shame boobi boy has retreated back into the extreme right-wing asylum. He was showing promising signs there for a while.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:49 am It's a shame boobi boy has retreated back into the extreme right-wing asylum. He was showing promising signs there for a while.
Ooh that hurts MB. :P

I've edited my post and removed the childish name I called you.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:23 am
JB1981 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:13 am
Of course not. On the surface it's formal and respectful, if anything.

I used it independently of grouch here and maybe one other place only recently and in direct response to Collins' woeful excuse for her husband's facebook postings of anti-Ardern material, including one ripped directly from the BFD, and one using official government Covid-19 material with which to attack the PM. Collins said 'she couldn't control him because he was an ex-rugby player and ex-cop.' :roll:

Looks like he wears the pants, so Mrs Wong-Tung it is.
I see both as largely being used to be derogatory. Thinking back to Andrea Vance’s article on people who use the term Cindy as having already lost the argument - that may be going too far, but using Cindy or Mrs Wong-Tung suggests a bias in starting position and a likely lack of objectivity in whatever argument is being had.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 pm As if on cue two section-able right wing nutters prove the point about the lunatic fringe.

You would do well to have a read of the “ our old friend is at it again” thread
Spending your life on various forums getting banned because the posters detest you , tell you they detest you on a daily basis and ban you repeatedly only for you to return under a alternative login because you’ve convinced yourself your detractors are the real problem and there’s nothing with you is obviously not healthy behaviour.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Will probably still vote yes for it, but pretty interesting

But then we are used to Labour spending more than they can get in.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12363248
Election 2020: Legalising weed could see $675m a year spent on health interventions - report

A legal cannabis market for recreational use could generate $675 million a year for the Government to spend on reducing cannabis-related harm, new economic modelling shows.

Two reports by Business and Economic Research Ltd (Berl) also say that legalisation would see an initial spike in cannabis use, accompanied by more cannabis-related hospitalisations.

But this would recede in the longer term and, with excise tax revenue put towards effective health interventions, cannabis users would have improved health outcomes while the justice system would save $11.4 million a year.

Berl's modelling was done for the Ministry of Justice in the lead-up to next month's referendum on legalising cannabis for personal use.

It was going to be published after the referendum in case it might unduly influence voters, but it has been released today following Official Information Act requests.

Justice Minister Andrew Little has so far been coy about the value of any levy on legal cannabis products, which would be ring-fenced for health services such as therapy or addition treatment.

But Berl estimated the level of excise tax based on the current price of cannabis and three different levels of potency of THC - the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis.

It estimated the tax would net the Government $640 million per year.

Adding the revenue from licensing fees minus the cost of administering the scheme, Berl says there would be $675m a year that could be used for health services.

The Government would also net $181m in GST and $40m in income and company taxes.

Health interventions would see the number of cannabis users drop, as well as reduce the amount of cannabis used, assuming the interventions were effective.

"There is a lack of data or research to determine the extent of the success that may arise from any particular interventions," Berl says.

Successful interventions could see the number of cannabis users with long-term health conditions drop by between 4600 and 5900, and a reduction in the number of users with mental health diagnoses of between 6500 and 7800.

That would see fewer cannabis-related hospitalisations, fewer users leaving school without qualifications, and an increase in employability along with a $280 to $380 increase in annual incomes, Berl says.

Drug Foundation executive director Ross Bell said the report supported the potential of a legal market to reduce harm compared to the status quo.

"These reports show the Government has structured the legal cannabis market in a way that makes sense economically while also improving health and social equity outcomes," Bell said.

"For example, the Government has adopted proposals to license cannabis production from seed to sale, impose a cap on the total market size, with quotas allocated so that no one producer will hold more than 20 per cent of the total market.

"Under this model we can move people into legal, taxpaying jobs, and bring much needed income to provincial New Zealand."

Berl's modelling assumed that a legal market would displace about two-thirds of the black market.

To meet that demand - 49.7 tonnes of cannabis a year - Berl says New Zealand would need 134 retail stores, 59 licenced cannabis cafes, and 227 combined stores; 207 retail stores would be based in six major cities, including 125 in Auckland.

The legal industry would employ 5000 people fulltime, creating $210m a year in salaries and wages and boosting GDP by $440m a year.

Berl's reports paint a sobering picture of current cannabis use in New Zealand, which currently exists in a black market given the illegal status of cannabis.

There are 74 tonnes of it consumed a year by 557,000 users aged 15 and over.

"An assumed price of $20 per gram suggests this market has a retail value of $1.5 billion," Berl says.

"Consumption is heavily dominated by daily users, with this group accounting for 62 tonnes of the total annual figure.

"The distribution of consumption is skewed towards those aged from 20 to 30 years old, especially for those of European ethnicity. There is also significantly large consumption by Māori 15 to 20 year olds."......................................................
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

booji boy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 am

:lol: I'm sure the all wise, all knowing, moderate and balanced Guy Smiley will just love being associated with Muttonbird.
Yea that was a bit odd. :lol:

FYI MB I Identify as politically non binary and my observations of you as a person have little to do with politics.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Harvey2.0 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:06 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 pm As if on cue two section-able right wing nutters prove the point about the lunatic fringe.

Spending your life on various forums getting banned because the posters detest you , tell you they detest you on a daily basis and ban you repeatedly only for you to return under a alternative login because you’ve convinced yourself your detractors are the real problem and there’s nothing with you is obviously not healthy behaviour.
Cute. A far right wing nut job obsessed with Jim Anderton, Darren Hughes, and sexual assault in all its forms tries to gaslight me using the strange case of Quentin Poulsen's life on a message board. :lol:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:14 am

Cute. A far right wing nut job obsessed with Jim Anderton, Darren Hughes, and sexual assault in all its forms tries to gaslight me using the strange case of Quentin Poulsen's life on a message board. :lol:
I feel for you Muttonbirds.

Must be tough being such a Labour Party fanatic and talking about sexual assaults
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Can we all just admit that Jacinda is not the Messiah (Whether or not she is naughty I'll leave to MB's imagination)? I say we follow the gourd!
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Brabus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am Can we all just admit that Jacinda is not the Messiah (Whether or not she is naughty I'll leave to MB's imagination)? I say we follow the gourd!
The gourd is fake-news. Follow the conch.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Enzedder wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:01 am
Brabus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am Can we all just admit that Jacinda is not the Messiah (Whether or not she is naughty I'll leave to MB's imagination)? I say we follow the gourd!
The shoe sir, the shoe! I'd lament our education system but a man of your advanced years has no excuse!
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Brabus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:05 am
Enzedder wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:01 am
The shoe sir, the shoe! I'd lament our education system but a man of your advanced years has no excuse!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

I like that you have already decided my vote ...what a simple little racist person you are .
Dark

Post by Dark »

So Cindy is OK then.

Thanks for clarifying
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Anywho , how we thinking the 2 referendums gonna go ?

I’ve kinda asked people and they seem fairly evenly split on both .
Must admit a fair percentage didn’t know what either entailed but we’re gonna vote for them anyway ..

Any polls
Santa

Post by Santa »

booji boy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:51 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:49 am It's a shame boobi boy has retreated back into the extreme right-wing asylum. He was showing promising signs there for a while.
Ooh that hurts MB. :P

I've edited my post and removed the childish name I called you.
Muttonboobs?
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:14 am

I bring up the continual sexual assault cases because you love to smear National at every chance you get but you seem to think all the sexual assaults don’t form a pattern . That’s despite a report in 2017 pointing out labour not only has an entrenched rape culture but a purposely long drawn out process for investigating and resolving claims that makes victims give up . You only need to go back to last year when they banned the 12 alleged victims of Grant Robertson’s mate from parliament and the party’s own internal report said they put the accused needs before his victims .

It’s up to you whether you take a minute to consider the parallels between you and Poulsen , they are there- the bannings, the hate directed at you , the lack of self awareness, the belief that people that disagree with you are fascists or racists . It’s all there .

Lastly , you actually use the word “gaslight “ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , it’s just as well I couldn’t lose any respect for you.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Tell us all what a bad man Jim Anderton was you utter kook !
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Hareaway wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:43 am Anywho , how we thinking the 2 referendums gonna go ?

I’ve kinda asked people and they seem fairly evenly split on both .
Must admit a fair percentage didn’t know what either entailed but we’re gonna vote for them anyway ..

Any polls
I haven't seen any polls, but I get a mixed set of views on them depending on who I am talking to. People in Healthcare or who have experienced a love one going through very difficult end of life process are generally in favor of the end of life bill. Others not so much.

Medical cannabis seems like a no brainer to most, but recreational is more of a mixed bag.

Personally, I will likely vote for both as I think the benefits are likely to outweigh the costs / risks.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

I’m voting YES and dunno yet .
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

That BERL report that Dark has linked is actually quite interesting.

I've only had a skim read, but my interpretation is that legalisation would perhaps increase harm in the short term, but significantly decrease harm in the long term. I'm also in favour of - at the very least - decriminalising cannabis use. Think of all the police time that would be saved and the decreased paranoia of users if there wasn't a desire to investigate every cannabis smoker.

I'm leaning towards supporting both at the moment.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I have been convinced (on here FFS) to vote in favour of the cannabis referendum question. I am a definite yes in the assisted dying one.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Labour Party announces 39% income tax for over $180,000
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:09 am Labour Party announces 39% income tax for over $180,000
It's a neat trick. Now people who have peen paying the top two bands despite a mediocre income will feel a bit better about being ripped off after their income is taxed based on what a salary was worth 10 years ago.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

deadduck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:19 am
Enzedder wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:09 am Labour Party announces 39% income tax for over $180,000
It's a neat trick. Now people who have peen paying the top two bands despite a mediocre income will feel a bit better about being ripped off after their income is taxed based on what a salary was worth 10 years ago.
It is neat eh? National are going to do exactly the same without this extra band.

Do you honestly feel that now is the time to reduce taxes?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Pretty happy with that TBH. During the Clarke/Cullen years the top tax rate was 39% but it cut in at something similar to $70k in today's terms.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I don't pay tax in NZ - is 39% the highest amount?

45% in Aus + 2% medicare for over 180k.

A 6% reduction could be quite compelling...
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Whilst I'm very happy with that one change that won't affect the majority af taxpayers and only slightly impact the majority of taxpayers who are affected (if that makes sense) it does call into question the value of the tax working group. I know CGT was ruled out by Jacinda but I thought there might be a host of other taxes they would look to introduce.

But no. Turns out the TWG was just another waste of taxpayer money that lead to no significant change.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:10 am I don't pay tax in NZ - is 39% the highest amount?

45% in Aus + 2% medicare for over 180k.

A 6% reduction could be quite compelling...
Yes it will be the highest rate. Currently only 33%.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

booji boy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:14 am Whilst I'm very happy with that one change that won't affect the majority af taxpayers and only slightly impact the majority of taxpayers who are affected (if that makes sense) it does call into question the value of the tax working group. I know CGT was ruled out by Jacinda but I thought there might be a host of other taxes they would look to introduce.

But no. Turns out the TWG was just another waste of taxpayer money that lead to no significant change.
It turns out that Covid erases all the bets though
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:24 am
deadduck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:19 am
It is neat eh? National are going to do exactly the same without this extra band.

Do you honestly feel that now is the time to reduce taxes?
Personal income tax yes.

Treasury's numbers on this suggest it will earn in the order of $500 million. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the size of the public debt.
This new tax band doesn't solve anything other than appealing to the politics of envy and if a party is going to do that I'd much rather see a relatively fiscally neutral approach that saw that $500 million redistributed back by adjusting the $48k band up to about $55k
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Time to restrict non essential travel between the North and South Island re:covid. Cook strait is the easiest internal border to manage.