NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Hareaway

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Hareaway »

Been out a bit in the lower south the last couple of days and people down here are getting a bit pissed off with the constant level 2 enforcement.
Hadn’t realised as been on the farm and it really doesn’t affect us , and am happy to use my phone to sign in to pub etc .

But was actually surprised at the public sentiment, and tbf we haven’t had a case in about 3-4 months .
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Hareaway wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:50 am Been out a bit in the lower south the last couple of days and people down here are getting a bit pissed off with the constant level 2 enforcement.
Hadn’t realised as been on the farm and it really doesn’t affect us , and am happy to use my phone to sign in to pub etc .

But was actually surprised at the public sentiment, and tbf we haven’t had a case in about 3-4 months .
Well it's going to be reviewed on the 14th?? so I'd fully expect everyone except Jaffaland to go to level 1 with them at 1.5.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Hareaway wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:50 am Been out a bit in the lower south the last couple of days and people down here are getting a bit pissed off with the constant level 2 enforcement.

I just had a look at the L2 rules - they're pretty much similar to what we've been in NSW since we came out of lockdown.

So I'm actually surprised to see why people would be that pissed off with it - the biggest inconvenience really is doing the contact tracing at cafes, pubs, and restaurants.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:11 am

I just had a look at the L2 rules - they're pretty much similar to what we've been in NSW since we came out of lockdown.

So I'm actually surprised to see why people would be that pissed off with it - the biggest inconvenience really is doing the contact tracing at cafes, pubs, and restaurants.
I was a bit surprised as well ,but crikey even in the Labour stronghold of South Dunedin they are Really sick of it .I don’t fi d it a problem at all , had to laugh at my sons boarding school in Dunedin have advertised that they “don’t want spectators “ for the first 15 clash but if you do happen to turn up please sign in ...😄
Santa

Post by Santa »

Looks like Labour killed the rugby and then lied about it. For shame.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

I loved the way Jacinda smiled all the way through her explanation that the Govt had done everything right and we'd lost the hosting rights through no fault of our own and it was entirely down to 'SANZAR Politics'. Ffs she almost looked pleased that we had lost the rugby. She could have at least shown some empathy by cocking her head to one side, putting on the furrowed brow, and feigned look of concern as she explained how disappointed she was that we'd lost the hosting rights. She could have then finished triumphantly by busting out her trademark smile and exclaiming that she is confident NZ will still win despite the added difficulty of the travel and away fixtures. But not a skerrick of sympathy for the poor old down trodden average rugby fan.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

I'm with you. Unless you are a promoter or events organizer who is unable to host normal crowds so it is affecting your business. On the other hand pubs and restaurants having to maintain social distancing, table service only, one server per table etc it must also be costing them money. For those that are doing it right it will be costing them money through smaller numbers permitted in the venue as well as extra staff. That's for those complying with the rules of course. I've seen plenty that aren't bothering. :uhoh:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Well Sumo Stevenson said it's NZ Rugby's fault for alienating it's SANZAAR partners. Apparently they're a bunch of mean schoolgirls and couldn't possibly have just made the decision based on financial benefits.....
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:00 pm Well Sumo Stevenson said it's NZ Rugby's fault for alienating it's SANZAAR partners. Apparently they're a bunch of mean schoolgirls and couldn't possibly have just made the decision based on financial benefits.....
I stopped reading after 'Sumo Stevenson said'.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

I'm not sure why NZ feels it needs to reinvent the wheel with regards to the management of sports teams when there are many countries operating successfully with Pro sports leagues despite having much higher Covid rates than us.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

deadduck wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:50 pm I'm not sure why NZ feels it needs to reinvent the wheel with regards to the management of sports teams when there are many countries operating successfully with Pro sports leagues despite having much higher Covid rates than us.
Perhaps because we don't want to acquire their higher covid rates by loosening our quarantine requirements for sports teams?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:58 pm

I'm with you. Unless you are a promoter or events organizer who is unable to host normal crowds so it is affecting your business. On the other hand pubs and restaurants having to maintain social distancing, table service only, one server per table etc it must also be costing them money. For those that are doing it right it will be costing them money through smaller numbers permitted in the venue as well as extra staff. That's for those complying with the rules of course. I've seen plenty that aren't bothering. :uhoh:
Yeah there's lots not bothering here too, although they just shut a pub down for repeated breaches of social distancing.

It's pretty easy to avoid the places who don't give a crap though TBF.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Agree with Uncle FB. Sydney has been in level 2 for months. Nobody really cares. Lol
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

A third of New Zealanders don't know which political parties are in Parliament, and less than half know how a party can get into power under MMP, a new report shows.
:shock:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12363226
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Auckman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 am Agree with Uncle FB. Sydney has been in level 2 for months. Nobody really cares. Lol
Life is relatively normal for me at level 2. Scanning in everywhere I go and hand sanitizing is no great hardship.
Dark

Post by Dark »

booji boy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:40 am
Auckman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 am Agree with Uncle FB. Sydney has been in level 2 for months. Nobody really cares. Lol
Life is relatively normal for me at level 2. Scanning in everywhere I go and hand sanitizing is no great hardship.
Can't be arsed doing all that crap till we get cases in Wellington again.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:49 am
If you keep doing those things you might help prevent there being any more cases in Wellington, or help to keep any future outbreaks from getting too far out of hand.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Ardern displaying her keen grasp of economics again I see.
She said the National Party's target of getting debt back to 30 percent within 10 years would mean dramatic cuts.

"I fundamentally disagree with the approach put out by the opposition. They are yet to tell us how they will achieve their 30 percent target which could mean up to $80 billion worth of cuts.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/42 ... he-economy

When if fact
To get debt back down to 30 per cent of GDP by 2030, National would have to make some cuts. But not $80b worth.

Labour - most notably its leader Jacinda Ardern - has repeatedly stated that a National government would make $80 billion worth of cuts to public services over the next decade.
https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/2020/0 ... n-is-wrong

I suppose the alternative is that she's lying.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:10 am
If you keep doing those things you might help prevent there being any more cases in Wellington, or help to keep any future outbreaks from getting too far out of hand.
How?

The scanning is tracing after you get a case.

If I hear we get one some where I will probably start being arsed.

There are 5 million people in the country and logic says I won't be near the first one
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

booji boy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:55 pm
deadduck wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:50 pm I'm not sure why NZ feels it needs to reinvent the wheel with regards to the management of sports teams when there are many countries operating successfully with Pro sports leagues despite having much higher Covid rates than us.
Perhaps because we don't want to acquire their higher covid rates by loosening our quarantine requirements for sports teams?

How many players in the A-league, AFL or NRL are known to have caught or spread covid-19 after their teams went into the bubble?
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:27 am
How?

There are 5 million people in the country and logic says I won't be near the first one
Someone you encountered today might not test positive for another 5 or 6 days, in which time you might have been infected yourself and encountered another 40 or 50 people. Will you remember them all? Will you remember everywhere you went in that time?

In the event that there is a positive test, and you are at risk, having rapid contact tracing can help all those 50 people self isolate and reduce any further spread of the virus which will mean the cluster outbreak will be smaller.
Dark

Post by Dark »

deadduck wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:27 am

How?

Someone you encountered today might not test positive for another 5 or 6 days, in which time you might have been infected yourself and encountered another 40 or 50 people. Will you remember them all? Will you remember everywhere you went in that time?

In the event that there is a positive test, and you are at risk, having rapid contact tracing can help all those 50 people self isolate and reduce any further spread of the virus which will mean the cluster outbreak will be smaller.

Arw the government so bad they can't ask who I work with after getting in my car?
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

I'm not sure what you've done to be surveilled by the government but I can't say I'm surprised
Dark

Post by Dark »

As far as I am aware there are no cases in Welllington
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Until recently there were no cases in Auckland either.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 pm Until recently there were no cases in Auckland either.
It's only a matter of time before other parts of the country get hit by second waves, etc. I wonder what the betting odds are of when a vaccine will get developed?
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Tehui wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:03 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 pm Until recently there were no cases in Auckland either.
It's only a matter of time before other parts of the country get hit by second waves, etc. I wonder what the betting odds are of when a vaccine will get developed?
It's actually pretty impressive that it hasn't happened already. Even putting aside the known issues with managed isolation that have made the headlines, such as the idiots who have broken out, just think of the challenges necessary to ensure all of the infection control measures work 100% of the time. We've had infection control measure fail in hospitals at time despite the staff having all of the right gear, training etc.

Hopefully there will be an effective vaccine soon. Lots of places working on them with some promising results. Although one promising one in the UK has taken a pause while they work out if reaction in one of the volunteers is related to the trail or not. But that's fairly standard practice.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

My bad. It looks like I spoke too soon.
Coronavirus: Quarantine hotel worker one of two new Covid-19 cases

Two new cases of coronavirus were reported on Sunday, with one being a health worker at an Auckland quarantine facility.

It is the first time a staff member at Jet Park Hotel has tested positive for Covid-19 since it started operating as a quarantine facility almost six months ago.

The other new case is a person who returned from South Africa on September 8, who is in quarantine in Canterbury, health officials said.

There were no confirmed cases linked to Auckland’s community cluster on Sunday, one day before Government officials were set to decide on the country’s alert levels.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... id19-cases
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

booji boy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:39 pm I loved the way Jacinda smiled all the way through her explanation that the Govt had done everything right and we'd lost the hosting rights through no fault of our own and it was entirely down to 'SANZAR Politics'. Ffs she almost looked pleased that we had lost the rugby. She could have at least shown some empathy by cocking her head to one side, putting on the furrowed brow, and feigned look of concern as she explained how disappointed she was that we'd lost the hosting rights. She could have then finished triumphantly by busting out her trademark smile and exclaiming that she is confident NZ will still win despite the added difficulty of the travel and away fixtures. But not a skerrick of sympathy for the poor old down trodden average rugby fan.

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:

She prefers League
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Kahu wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:32 am
booji boy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:39 pm I loved the way Jacinda smiled all the way through her explanation that the Govt had done everything right and we'd lost the hosting rights through no fault of our own and it was entirely down to 'SANZAR Politics'. Ffs she almost looked pleased that we had lost the rugby. She could have at least shown some empathy by cocking her head to one side, putting on the furrowed brow, and feigned look of concern as she explained how disappointed she was that we'd lost the hosting rights. She could have then finished triumphantly by busting out her trademark smile and exclaiming that she is confident NZ will still win despite the added difficulty of the travel and away fixtures. But not a skerrick of sympathy for the poor old down trodden average rugby fan.

She prefers League
What happened to 'be kind'?

#unionfansmattertoo :(
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:20 am

She prefers League

If you're calling rugby union in NZ like you're mini Aussies you deserve to not have the test matches.

Actually, is there any evidence she prefers state house rugby?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Her sitting behind a desk election ad is pretty funny.

She thinks she is Trump

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12364245
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:23 am

She prefers League

If you're calling rugby union in NZ like you're mini Aussies you deserve to not have the test matches.

I'm just taking Kahu's word for it. ;)

We all know her 'mentor' Aunty Helen is a leaguey.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

She prefers League

BTW what does your first sentence mean? :?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 am

She prefers League

If you're calling rugby, union, in NZ like you're mini Aussies you deserve to not have the test matches.

Do you know anyone who called rugby "union" when growing up in NZ? I probably could have added some punctuation but I had the red mist like I was Sio Tomkinson about to make a tackle.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Dark wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:25 am Her sitting behind a desk election ad is pretty funny.

She thinks she is Trump

My god the head movement!

If David Tua had bobbed and weaved that much he would have been a multiple world champion.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:38 am
booji boy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 am

She prefers League

If you're calling rugby, union, in NZ like you're mini Aussies you deserve to not have the test matches.

Do you know anyone who called rugby "union" when growing up in NZ? I probably could have added some punctuation but I had the red mist like I was Sio Tomkinson about to make a tackle.
:lol: Times change my friend. Let's not get wound up over silly semantics. ;)
Santa

Post by Santa »

booji boy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:41 am
Dark wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:25 am Her sitting behind a desk election ad is pretty funny.

She thinks she is Trump

If David Tua had bobbed and weaved that much he would have been a multiple world champion.
No she said their plan is to rebuild the economy and make it stronger. That is quite a plan and it is good to finally get some detailed policy. Hmm. Rebuild. Stronger.
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

booji boy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:55 pm
Nail the hit head on the
Dark

Post by Dark »

booji boy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:41 am

She thinks she is Trump

Guessing this is her training video, but she got the head thing wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bdKVv5iyEQ