NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Muttonbirds

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Muttonbirds »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 am So a win for Labour.

She comes across as a strong leader from our viewpoint up north.

Will she open up flights from Australia to New Zealand? I heard the other way is opened up
No. Australia are still a massive Covid risk from where we are standing.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:52 am Should Jacinda take the Greens?

People said it was a master stroke of politics when Key did it in 2014 including parties that he didn't need to but was it. The Maoris were seen as traitors to their own people and routed in their own seats at the next election something they are still struggling to recover from. National in 2017 actually ended up with no one who wanted to form a government with them and tonight have ended up with 27% of the vote.

So was what Key did a masterstroke or a fuckign disaster. IMO Labour should go it alone. Leave the greens to rally against them for the next 3 years so they don't go the way of most small coalition partners at the next election.
Good post and I agree. The Greens while aspirational are septic.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Will she open up flights from Australia to New Zealand? I heard the other way is opened up
Given her treatment of rouge ministers through her first term strong wouldn't be a term I'd use. Neither Clark, Key nor any PM since Rowling would have put up with half the bolloxs she let slide. Populist certainly, good at delivering a message, absolutely.

Labour basically didn't do much, apart from appoint working groups and up excise tax (their absolutely appalling treatment of partnership schools aside). If they lay off the upping of excise tax, and tell Andrew Little to fudge off with his plans to strengthen hate speech laws I wont lose much sleep. Problem is thanks to Covid (and our response to it) we are in a lot of debt, how the Government tries to keep the books will be crucial. NZ virtually never turfs out a government after one term but I fear this upcoming term is going to be rather rocky, they are going to need to deliver.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Given her treatment of rouge ministers through her first term strong wouldn't be a term I'd use. Neither Clark, Key nor any PM since Rowling would have put up with half the bolloxs she let slide. Populist certainly, good at delivering a message, absolutely.

Labour basically didn't do much, apart from appoint working groups and up excise tax (their absolutely appalling treatment of partnership schools aside). If they lay off the upping of excise tax, and tell Andrew Little to fudge off with his plans to strengthen hate speech laws I wont lose much sleep. Problem is thanks to Covid (and our response to it) we are in a lot of debt, how the Government tries to keep the books will be crucial. NZ virtually never turfs out a government after one term but I fear this upcoming term is going to be rather rocky, they are going to need to deliver.
Dark

Post by Dark »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:08 pm
Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:01 pm
UncleFB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:55 am
RuggaBugga wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:25 am
Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:12 am Apologies if this question has already been asked on PR: but if Labour end up with 61+ seats in parliament, and assuming there is no overhang seats, should they govern alone or should they form a coalition government?
Coalition. This is a historic swing to Labour but we can see a lot of this is covid driven.

If Ardern is serious about being inclusive she'd take the greens on confidence and supply at least and def bring the Maori party into the fold if they come through.

God how much of a cock is Hooton
I definitely wouldn't. There's no need to when Labour dominate the Maori seats. The Maori Party made their bed.
You want the the govt to ditch Whanau Ora. OK. But disagree
I'd prefer Whanau Ora was implemented properly - also I worked on a successful Whanau Ora bid, I also worked on an unsuccessful one too, that was more deserving than the successful one.

But the Maori Party negated their whole reason for existence when they supported the Takutai Moana Act.

Furthermore, why should Labour give the Maori Party any help? If the Maori Party don't exist they dominate the Maori seats, makes no sense to help keep them around.
Never said Labour had to.

Was just pointing out how stupid your remark the Maori Party made their bed was.

To deny they achieved things while with the Nats when the nats didn't even need them is frankly stupid
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

What did they achieve Dark? Seems like they achieved sfa from my viewpoint. The Maori Party today are a much different more dangerous kettle of fish to 10 years ago. They are economically and socially illiterate and will see this country head the way of South Africa.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:13 pm

No offence, but far out you are dim.

Australia is a big place.

Look at States.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Kahu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:33 pm What did they achieve Dark? Seems like they achieved sfa from my viewpoint. The Maori Party today are a much different more dangerous kettle of fish to 10 years ago. They are economically and socially illiterate and will see this country head the way of South Africa.
I'm not a fan but one thing that they did do is chose to work in government to try and effect change. One can argue how effective they were but at least they gave it a go. It is much harder to be in a position inside the tent than just to be flinging muck from outside.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:12 am Apologies if this question has already been asked on PR: but if Labour end up with 61+ seats in parliament, and assuming there is no overhang seats, should they govern alone or should they form a coalition government?
Coalition. This is a historic swing to Labour but we can see a lot of this is covid driven.

If Ardern is serious about being inclusive she'd take the greens on confidence and supply at least and def bring the Maori party into the fold if they come through.

I definitely wouldn't. There's no need to when Labour dominate the Maori seats. The Maori Party made their bed.
I'd prefer Whanau Ora was implemented properly - also I worked on a successful Whanau Ora bid, I also worked on an unsuccessful one too, that was more deserving than the successful one.

But the Maori Party negated their whole reason for existence when they supported the Takutai Moana Act.

Furthermore, why should Labour give the Maori Party any help? If the Maori Party don't exist they dominate the Maori seats, makes no sense to help keep them around.
I can't see Whānau Ora going anywhere. It's an approach that comes from the community, rather than from political parties.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Kahu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:33 pm What did they achieve Dark? Seems like they achieved sfa from my viewpoint. The Maori Party today are a much different more dangerous kettle of fish to 10 years ago. They are economically and socially illiterate and will see this country head the way of South Africa.

Whanau Ora.

Massive push for Te Reo by Pita,.

Just for a sec ask what Labour have ever done, and get back to me
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 pm

I can't see Whānau Ora going anywhere. It's an approach that comes from the community, rather than from political parties.
More of that please. The polis run on a three year cycle, communities are in it for the long haul.
Dark

Post by Dark »

And that is putting aside the record number of treaty settlements.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Brabus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:40 pm
Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 pm

More of that please. The polis run on a three year cycle, communities are in it for the long haul.
Fair enough. If you think it isn't good.

I guess you will be the first to criticise if Ardern fails to turf it.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Look at States.
Ah, no. You are dim. Fact.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Look at States.
Well WA the NT and QLD are just as safe as NZ. Treating a continent like a city is taking caution to the extreme.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Dark wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Whanau Ora.

Massive push for Te Reo by Pita,.

Just for a sec ask what Labour have ever done, and get back to me
And what has Whanau Ora achieved?

Maori language is heading to extinction.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newshu ... y.amp.html

Gotta love the impact Smokefree 2025 has had on Maori too.

Labour introduced Kiwisaver after that fat moron from the National party decided National Superannuation was a bad idea. Remind us Dark, how much better off this country would be if that dumb fat plum hadn't abolished it?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

When Labour convincingly wins the party vote in National's rural heartlands (simply unheard of!) and even flips safe Blue seats for the first time in 20+ years, you get a:

Judith Collins has just done a Corbyn. She should've resigned on the spot but of course she didn't.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Brabus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Look at States.
Well WA the NT and QLD are just as safe as NZ. Treating a continent like a city is taking caution to the extreme.
WA has heaps of cases right now. Who the fudge travels from NT to NZ, ever? QLD can stay where they are, thanks. :lol:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

tubbyj wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:44 am Both panels on both channels are horrendous. The National sycophants which are in the majority (the only one for them tonight) have all accepted defeat a few weeks back and are now trying to brashly bate Jacinda and Labour in their moment of victory. One of them was trying to say she should be like the 1984 Labour Lange/Douglas Government FFS.

So under Key we had to accept term after term of very little being achieved apart from populism and pandering to the middle while they same sycophants cheered. Now Ardern has out done Key the same sycophants are telling us it is the responsibility of someone with such a big win to be transformational do the things that are unpopular in the knowledge that it will cost you the next election 'cause that is the right thing to do'.

A decent host would tell them to pull the other one and let those salty teasr flow but Duncan Garner is a worthless host cause he is a butt hurt Nat supporter as well..
Salty tears from those plonkers Trish Sherson and Matt Hooton tonight. "They are useless unless they implement an extremist transformational policy agenda. She's too safe like Key" 😂😂😂
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Auckman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pmJudith Collins has just done a Corbyn. She should've resigned on the spot but of course she didn't.
Collins is just a horrible, horrible person. All the kids are talking about it and if they know then it's really embedded. She should just fuck right off as soon as possible.
Last edited by Muttonbirds on Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:10 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:13 pm No. Australia are still a massive Covid risk from where we are standing.

Look at States.
WA has heaps of cases right now. Who the fudge travels from NT to NZ, ever? QLD can stay where they are, thanks. :lol:
As I mentioned. You are dim.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Lolz. Funny result. New Zealand will definitely get whatever it was it voted for. :thumbup:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:14 pm Lolz. Funny result. New Zealand will definitely get whatever it was it voted for. :thumbup:
It's a landslide. But we are all stupid, apparently.
Santa

Post by Santa »

As far as a coalition with the Greens goes, it will be the most pointless coalition ever as the Greens have no leverage.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Auckman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pm When Labour convincingly wins the party vote in National's rural heartlands (simply unheard of!) and even flips safe Blue seats for the first time in 20+ years, you get a:

Judith Collins has just done a Corbyn. She should've resigned on the spot but of course she didn't.
I'd have thought 82 years
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Santa wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:16 pm As far as a coalition with the Greens goes, it will be the most pointless coalition ever as the Greens have no leverage.
It will be a 76-44 Government with a huge mandate to ride roughshod over the hapless RWNJs in opposition. Literally, the people have asked for the National Party and the right wing voice to be totally crushed for at least the next 3 years.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

koroke hangareka wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 pm
Auckman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pm When Labour convincingly wins the party vote in National's rural heartlands (simply unheard of!) and even flips safe Blue seats for the first time in 20+ years, you get a:

Drunken Paddy Gower seems to think 1946 just pipped tonight's effort but yeah other pundits were thinking Michael Joseph Savage in 1938 was the last big one that beat tonight.

Regardless, she leads the first majority in MMP history. That is massive. I never thought it could be done.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 pm
Santa wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:16 pm As far as a coalition with the Greens goes, it will be the most pointless coalition ever as the Greens have no leverage.
It will be a 76-44 Government with a huge mandate to ride roughshod over the hapless RWNJs in opposition. Literally, the people have asked for the National Party and the right wing voice to be totally crushed for at least the next 3 years.
And everything will just carry on as normal, like it did under Clark and Key.

Because at the end of the day she is a bit who can go most middle ground
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Auckman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:31 pm
koroke hangareka wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Drunken Paddy Gower seems to think 1946 just pipped tonight's effort but yeah other pundits were thinking Michael Joseph Savage in 1938 was the last big one that beat tonight.

Regardless, she leads the first majority in MMP history. SMH that is massive. Never thought it could be done.
Yes, terrific achievement but I wonder if Labour will be regretting not being more forthright on policy and position. The drift to the center is appealing for more conservative voters but undermines authority for a more transformative program.

The area it does give them most flexibility is over handling the pandemic and wouldn’t be surprised to see some bolder and rapid developments there.
Santa

Post by Santa »

This is just the mandate they need to build more than 600 houses. :thumbup:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Good to see that evil twunt Chris Bishop lose his seat. He might want to be more servant and less snoop next time around.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Two massive, massive defeats for National in the 21st century. Where and why are they going so wrong?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 am Time to pass the hankies out to those who are grieving or in denial.
they may not want the hankies after what the victors have been using them to mop up...
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Robertson was foreshadowing that decision a few days back with talk about the cost savings (something like 70% of quarantine costs are arrivals from Australia). The more nuanced guidance on lockdowns from the WHO will also help formulate a message on the science, so I’m predicting it opening in a managed way for entry into NZ before Christmas.

They may need a bigger bag for the extra Chrissy cards to the beehive.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:13 pm No. Australia are still a massive Covid risk from where we are standing.

Look at States.
You sir are the very definition of a useful idiot.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Brabus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Look at States.
Rubbish. Australia are still a Covid risk. Fact.

Weak federal government. States all over the place. It's a shambles.
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 pm
Brabus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:17 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:51 pm Ah, no. You are dim. Fact.
Rubbish. Australia are still a Covid risk. Fact.

Weak federal government. States all over the place. It's a shambles.
I stand by my statement
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

People said it was a master stroke of politics when Key did it in 2014 including parties that he didn't need to but was it. The Maoris were seen as traitors to their own people and routed in their own seats at the next election something they are still struggling to recover from. National in 2017 actually ended up with no one who wanted to form a government with them and tonight have ended up with 27% of the vote.

So was what Key did a masterstroke or a fuckign disaster. IMO Labour should go it alone. Leave the greens to rally against them for the next 3 years so they don't go the way of most small coalition partners at the next election.
An interesting point. Junior coalition members nearly always get screwed next election.

Asking kiwis this; the global left love Jacinda, rather like Obama, but much of her criticism is she is all PR and achieves very little. She came in on a promise to strengthen immigration controls, improve education. Is that still the case after her first term she hasn't changed much? I know last I checked her main criticism at the time was ignoring the problems with sex abuse in her own party. What happened with that? Cheers.
Santa

Post by Santa »

eldanielfire wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:35 pm

An interesting point. Junior coalition members nearly always get screwed next election.

Asking kiwis this; the global left love Jacinda, rather like Obama, but much of her criticism is she is all PR and achieves very little. She came in on a promise to strengthen immigration controls, improve education. Is that still the case after her first term she hasn't changed much? I know last I checked her main criticism at the time was ignoring the problems with sex abuse in her own party. What happened with that? Cheers.
Child poverty is also in her personal remit. It has gotten worse according to the agreed measures.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

deadduck wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:12 am I'm just wondering if they'll have enough name tags for the cabinet room
National have fucking heaps to spare.