NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
usermame

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by usermame »

Auckman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 pm Santa, she's only ever been put in charge of Maori portfolios in the past. What were you expecting her to achieve? And what did previous foreign ministers achieve that you think was so great? Getting out of ANZUS? Most people today don't have a clue who was the foreign minister back then. Winston got on great with the US but did NZ ever get a trade deal out of it? Nope.
Still have tariffs on our steel and aluminium I believe.
usermame

Post by usermame »

Santa wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:25 pm For example, what do you think she understands about Five Eyes?
That the US gets more out of it than NZ.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Still not concerned at all about her appointment.

The reaction to her description confuses me. She is Māori, female and tattooed and clearly proud of all three. I don’t see any of those as being the same as talking about a person’s weight, hair or physical attractiveness, which is more commonly what women in particular are exposed to.

Feels like there is some cringe about her appearance which I find more offensive than the headlines, she is unapologetic and doesn’t need apologist to fight battles she appears to have already comprehensively won without their help.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Mr Mike wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:36 pm Still not concerned at all about her appointment.

The reaction to her description confuses me. She is Māori, female and tattooed and clearly proud of all three. I don’t see any of those as being the same as talking about a person’s weight, hair or physical attractiveness, which is more commonly what women in particular are exposed to.

Feels like there is some cringe about her appearance which I find more offensive than the headlines, she is unapologetic and doesn’t need apologist to fight battles she appears to have already comprehensively won without their help.
The only people concerned about the fact that she is Maori or female are the white knighters.

As to the tattoo of course she is proud of it but it should be unsurprising and unracist if it attracts comment from people who don't know or care about how significant it is to her, because we all have our own meaning and symbolic systems and just because the tattoo is hers does not mean that everyone has to share her view of it. For example, in some countries it may be culturally inappropriate to have facial tattoos or for women to have tattoos at all.

Most people in the world don't have facial tattoos. It is rare enough and striking enough that it is commentable on.

The main criticisms that I have have seen are about ability, and that is mostly certainly commentable on.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

The main criticisms that I have have seen are about ability,
Bullshit Santa - total bullshit.

If she was in the National Party you would find the appointment enlightening.

You have long since posted your colours to the mast and every comment you make if affected by that.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

It seems that we still have a lot of Kiwis not knowing that there is a virus and we're doing all we can to keep it out.

The "NIMBY" brigade with their "but, not me..." wails
The country's managed isolation hotels are nearly completely booked until Christmas, locking out some New Zealanders who had planned trips home to see loved ones.

Have you been affected by this? Email us at newstips@stuff.co.nz

They are pleading for the government to free up more space, but it says it is constrained by a limited workforce.

Kimberlee Everett had just secured a visa for her five-month-old daughter, and made plans to come home from Perth for her Dad's 70th birthday and Christmas, when she logged onto the government's managed isolation website on Sunday.

Anyone boarding a flight to New Zealand has to show a voucher proving they've booked a spot in a managed isolation hotel - and Everett said there were originally plenty of dates to choose from.

Ten hours later, she logged in again and there were no spots remaining before Christmas.

"It feels like a giant let down 'cause I'd come to the conclusion that I was prepared to go. I was prepared to do the isolation and I'd organised everything here in Perth. Then all of that, overnight, came crashing down," she said.

The country has 32 managed isolation hotels which can fit 6260 people at any one time, allowing for a 24-hour turnaround and deep clean between each guest.

A managed isolation and quarantine spokesperson said there had been "a short-term spike in arrival numbers", meaning no additional bookings could be taken between until November 12, or between November 23 and December 12.

"The reality is that there is a finite number of rooms available. New Zealanders can still come home but anyone wanting to come home in the lead-up to Christmas holiday period needs to make their travel plans early, or they may not be able to come home on their preferred dates."

Everett said the abruptness with which the system booked out was "devastating".

She had planned to stay in the country for three months.

For Tess Whitehouse, a New Zealander living in the UK, it was the latest frustration about a managed isolation system she said "seems geared to be out of reach for most people”.

A few months ago, she booked flights to see her family for Christmas for the first time since 2015.

She hoped it would be easier - not harder - to enter the country in December but has held back on making further plans, and expects to have to cancel the tickets, because she is unable to afford the cost of isolation, or more than three weeks off work.

"The plan and hope was to have a family Christmas and have it as I grew up together, in summer. Instead we're going to be isolated in winter on the other side of the planet," she said.

The government said it would not be expanding its managed isolation system to cater for more people over Christmas, because "the constraint is not hotels, but the essential workforce who care for returnees”.

"We need nurses and soldiers and police to run these facilities, and this a limited workforce," the spokesperson said.

"We're asking people to be flexible and if there are no available places in managed isolation on their preferred date, to check and see if there are any places available on another nearby date."
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Aren’t you the NIMBY in that scenario?

To continue the “I’m alright Jack” vibe, I already have my accommodation booked, so I’ve absolutely no sympathy for anyone who failed to get organized.
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Suzie Ferguson (On RNZ) did a great job eviscerating someone (I missed the beginning of the interview, so not sure who the interlocutor was) about First Home Buyers driving up house prices. Quite enjoyable.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Very happy to be in my slightly left of centre paradise right now. :D
Salient

Post by Salient »

Gordon Bennett wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:13 pm Suzie Ferguson (On RNZ) did a great job eviscerating someone (I missed the beginning of the interview, so not sure who the interlocutor was) about First Home Buyers driving up house prices. Quite enjoyable.
LOL yeah no foreign investment at all :nod:

Was thinking of buying into a "batch" over the back of the Peak in HB, but wow prices, think we'll settle for one of the Queensland inland communities, some real nice views towards the Gold Coast over native forests looking pretty reasonable at a decent price.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Gordon Bennett wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:13 pm Suzie Ferguson (On RNZ) did a great job eviscerating someone (I missed the beginning of the interview, so not sure who the interlocutor was) about First Home Buyers driving up house prices. Quite enjoyable.
NZ Property Investors’ Federation executive officer Sharon Cullwick.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinio ... ong-buyers
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Some guy from the internet said Nanaia Mahuta speaks 5 languages (including Japanese and Mandarin), because "she speaks on behalf of the King when addressing delegations from Japan/China".

Is this true or is it some Tainui bloke on the turps celebrating Mahuta's promotion?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Can't be true - Sneaker says she's an illiterate.

Just on the US election, Biden must be better for NZ than Trump if he does go ahead with joining the TPP (or whatever the new version is called)
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

So, various states in the USA have legalised cannabis. Oregon, indeed, has decided to decriminalise all narcotics (58% to 42%). Liberal NZ, however, couldn't get legalisation of cannabis over the line. I'd be interested to hear from any locals in the US how visible the campaigns on these issues were - i.e. were the benefits clearly articulated to voters there in a way that they weren't in NZ?
Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett »

Ugh. Because Matt King and Denise Lee lost their seats, somehow that blowhard Nick Smith remains an MP. (and presumably the awful Maureen Pugh retains too)
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

LAB Priyanca Radhakrishnan flips Maungakiekie (NAT Denise Lee out) - Labour last held in 2005.
LAB Emily Henderson flips Whangarei - (NAT Shane Reti remains on list) - first time in 50 years to Labour.
LAB Willow-Jean Prime flips Northland - (NAT Matt King out) - first time ever to Labour.

Shit that is an absolute demolition job.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Maori party will be celebrating all weekend. They've got another MP into the big house. Debbie Ngarewa-Packer.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Heard the stat that after the specials, the only electorate that national won the party vote was Epsom.

That is insane (or sounds insane having no idea if that has actually happened a lot previously)
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Auckman wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:22 am LAB Priyanca Radhakrishnan flips Maungakiekie (NAT Denise Lee out) - Labour last held in 2005.
LAB Emily Henderson flips Whangarei - (NAT Shane Reti remains on list) - first time in 50 years to Labour.
LAB Willow-Jean Prime flips Northland - (NAT Matt King out) - first time ever to Labour.

Shit that is an absolute demolition job.
A shame for Denise Lee. She wasn't terrible for a Nat and stood up to that car crash, Judith Collins.

Matt King is poison, a wannabe Trump. Good riddance.

Dr Nick has absolutely no shame.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

I must have voted for Matt King, as I voted for whoever the National candidate was, as he was polling ahead at the time I voted and I was specifically voting against Shane Jones and NZ Firsts chances of getting back in. That didn't work out as planned. :lol:
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Surprised Santa et al haven't started frothing about this one:
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has won a prestigious award from Harvard University in the United States.

The award comes with US$150,000 (NZ$210,000) in prize money, which Ardern has asked to go to a scholarship for a student from New Zealand to attend Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.

The Harvard Kennedy School’s Centre for Public Leadership Gleitsman International Activist Award will be formally awarded to Ardern in a virtual ceremony on December 1.

The prize is given each year to “an individual or team whose leadership in social action has improved the quality of life in the United States and across the globe”.

A spokesperson for the prime minister said Ardern’s “normal practice is to decline awards, but in this instance we were able to convert it into a scholarship for a New Zealander to go to Harvard”.

Previous winners include Malala Yousafzai, Tarana Burke, Nelson Mandela, Gloria Steinem and John Lewis.

Wendy Sherman, a professor of public leadership at the Kennedy School, said Ardern “exemplifies principled, effective and just leadership, exactly the kind of leadership our students aspire to uphold.

She has wielded a steady and swift hand, an open mind, and a keen reflection of her entire community in meeting challenges of terror, earthquakes and now Covid-19,” Sherman said.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has won a prestigious international award.

“The prime minister reminds all of us that strength, compassion, science, clear communications, humility and activism go hand in hand to create positive results.”

A media release from Harvard praised Ardern's 2050 goal of carbon neutrality and her “compassionate resolve” after the March 15 mosque attack in Christchurch.

Harvard also praised the Government’s Covid-19 response, noting that New Zealand recorded “low rates of disease transmission and death through clear, science-based mandates and responsive supports for citizens and the medical community”.
Last edited by Wignu on Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Wignu wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:13 am Surprised Santa et al haven't started frothing about this one:
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has won a prestigious award from Harvard University in the United States.

The award comes with US$150,000 (NZ$210,000) in prize money, which Ardern has asked to go to a scholarship for a student from New Zealand to attend Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.

The Harvard Kennedy School’s Centre for Public Leadership Gleitsman International Activist Award will be formally awarded to Ardern in a virtual ceremony on December 1.

The prize is given each year to “an individual or team whose leadership in social action has improved the quality of life in the United States and across the globe”.

A spokesperson for the prime minister said Ardern’s “normal practice is to decline awards, but in this instance we were able to convert it into a scholarship for a New Zealander to go to Harvard”.

Previous winners include Malala Yousafzai, Tarana Burke, Nelson Mandela, Gloria Steinem and John Lewis.

Wendy Sherman, a professor of public leadership at the Kennedy School, said Ardern “exemplifies principled, effective and just leadership, exactly the kind of leadership our students aspire to uphold.

She has wielded a steady and swift hand, an open mind, and a keen reflection of her entire community in meeting challenges of terror, earthquakes and now Covid-19,” Sherman said.

“The prime minister reminds all of us that strength, compassion, science, clear communications, humility and activism go hand in hand to create positive results.”

A media release from Harvard praised Ardern's 2050 goal of carbon neutrality and her “compassionate resolve” after the March 15 mosque attack in Christchurch.

Harvard also praised the Government’s Covid-19 response, noting that New Zealand recorded “low rates of disease transmission and death through clear, science-based mandates and responsive supports for citizens and the medical community”.
I did see that bit was too busy giggling to be outraged. I was wondering how any of that improves lives in the US but I admired her putting the money into a scholarship.that would pay 1 person's tuition for 2 years.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Santa wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 am
Wignu wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:13 am Surprised Santa et al haven't started frothing about this one:

I did see that bit was too busy giggling to be outraged. I was wondering how any of that improves lives in the US but I admired her putting the money into a scholarship.that would pay 1 person's tuition for 2 years.
Can't even quote properly, about as competent as the current National Party.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Wignu wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am
Santa wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 am

Can't even quote properly, about as competent as the current National Party.

So you
agree with me. :thumbup:
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

That you can't quote ... yes most certainly.

(ignoring it was my fault for not closing the quote in the first place!)
Santa

Post by Santa »

Some interesting stats here.
under the racist National Government the percentage of Maori leaving school with no qualifications dropped from 37% to 18%. The kind caring Labour Government saw it increase to 22%.
Again under the racist National Government the percentage of Maori leaving school with NCEA Level 2 increased from 46% to 69%. The kind caring Labour Government saw it drop back to 65%.
You get what you vote for eh fellas?
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

So you're saying National dumbed everything down and fudged the stats? Not surprised at all tbh after all the rest of their number fudging over the years.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Santa wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:52 pm Some interesting stats here.
under the racist National Government the percentage of Maori leaving school with no qualifications dropped from 37% to 18%. The kind caring Labour Government saw it increase to 22%.
Again under the racist National Government the percentage of Maori leaving school with NCEA Level 2 increased from 46% to 69%. The kind caring Labour Government saw it drop back to 65%.
They couldn't leave school and go into a job during the National terms - unemployment was too high.

That was fixed by Labour
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

What were the percentages before National took power and what were the trends? As you well know stats like those aren't from immediate effect but from what has happened in quite a few years before them.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I see they've got 5 more years to deliver a zero emissions government vehicle fleet. Progress after 3 years is around 1%.

Looks a lot like Kiwibuild and light rail.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Oh shit. Mallard being racist in Parliament.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/maori-par ... DAX7L6HRI/
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Wignu wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:39 am
What were the percentages before National took power and what were the trends? As you well know stats like those aren't from immediate effect but from what has happened in quite a few years before them.
Right, so as per fvking usual you can't answer a straight up question.
Dark

Post by Dark »

This went under the radar a bit.

Great to see Labour again having such great empty priorities.

Any Jaciples can explain the point of the Jasciah doing this it would be great.

Please don't pull the Green Party made them, as they had zero bargaining power in the agreement to work together.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... ament.html
Jacinda Ardern to declare a climate change emergency in Parliament

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern will declare a climate change emergency in Parliament next week.

"As stated during the election campaign, the Prime Minister will introduce a Government Motion to declare a climate emergency next Wednesday," a spokesperson for Ardern said.

"The text of that motion will be publicly released on Tuesday."
The plan to declare a climate emergency is mentioned in Parliament's business statement for next week, an informal indication of what the Government intends to place before the House.

"After oral questions on Tuesday, the House will debate a motion on the climate change emergency," it says. "That evening, the House will go into urgency to pass bills on tax changes and other matters."

During the Newshub Leaders Debate in September, Ardern was pressed on whether she would declare a climate change emergency, which Auckland Council voted unanimously to do last year.

Ardern said during the debate she'd have "no issue" with declaring a climate emergency after it was previously voted down in Parliament last year.

"It is an emergency and everything we've done demonstrates that," Ardern said. "An emergency in real terms means stopping future offshore oil and gas exploration."

National leader Judith Collins said her plan to tackle climate change would be to support New Zealand farmers by "giving them the science" to help them cut carbon emissions.

"What we do not do is that we do not beggar them and our country to an order so that we can go and get a photo op somewhere."

New Zealand would join the UK, Canada, Ireland and France by declaring a climate emergency. So far only local councils have done, including regional bodies in Wellington, Auckland, Nelson, Canterbury, Waikato and Southland.

Ardern said last year she was open to declaring a climate emergency, after more than 50 of New Zealand's top scientists called on Parliament to take action.

"We're not opposed to the idea of declaring an emergency in Parliament because certainly, I'd like to think our policies and our approach demonstrate that we do see it as an emergency."

In Governor-General Dame Patsy Reddy's Speech to the Throne on Thursday, said the climate crisis sits alongside affordable housing, homelessness and child poverty as the country's longest-standing and hardest issues.

"Crises do not form an orderly line waiting to be addressed," she said.

"On each of these areas there is a need to do more and go further. Problems that are decades in the making are not easily or quickly solved. But this Government is committed to relentlessly pursuing progress."

Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Well holy shit, we've been assured for years that Labour, Jacinda et al are the commie reds under the bed but bugger me it's actually Judith Collins and her mates, who'd a thunk it??
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Santa wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 am Oh shit. Mallard being racist in Parliament.

Totally reasonable stance. TMP got 30 minutes speaking time - same as the major parties.

The walkout was SOLELY for attention grabbing.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:14 pm
Santa wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 am Oh shit. Mallard being racist in Parliament.

Totally reasonable stance. TMP got 30 minutes speaking time - same as the major parties.

The walkout was SOLELY for attention grabbing.
They should have given him a baby to hold onto with that weird creepy look on his face as a bribe.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

If Maori language takes longer to get to the point, the Maori speakers should be allotted more time.

To not do so is systemic bias
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Well, their attention grabbing worked and I guess they got their point across to the media which is what they REALLY wanted anyway
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 pm Well, their attention grabbing worked and I guess they got their point across to the media which is what they REALLY wanted anyway
And James Shaw's left field, out of no where, meaningless sudden interest in having to wear a tie in parliament was cutting edge news worthy policy.