NZ Politics Thread

All things Rugby
Dark

Re: NZ Politics Thread

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:52 pm I read half these guys are 501s. Cleaning up Australia's mess again. :?
Tend to agree, but at the end of the day they are kiwis, no matter how young they went over, so with everything going on over there she is kind of easy to just chuck them back.

But as I say agree, pretty arsey thing to do from their end.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Dark wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:43 pm
Kahu wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:34 pm Whilst I agree with you Enzedder I still can't help but wonder.

Kelvin Davis is playing a poor hand well I think. Stay out of the spotlight as much possible and let it all unfold naturally and hope like hell no one dies.
Odd though,given how much Ardern likes to get him to give interviews, and not hide him.

:lol:
Not really seeing he is used to shield her.

Given JuCo was twice Minister of Corrections within the last decade and as recently as 5 years ago, you would think she would be a little more mum on this issue.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Self confessed disruptor, Jamie Beaton, is involved with the National Party rebuild. No doubt appointed by his backer, Jong Kee.

All I can say is if National think Jamie Beaton is the answer then they continue to misread the New Zealand public. He's in court more than Judge Judy.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300195 ... oung-thing
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 am Self confessed disruptor, Jamie Beaton, is involved with the National Party rebuild. No doubt appointed by his backer, Jong Kee.

All I can say is if National think Jamie Beaton is the answer then they continue to misread the New Zealand public. He's in court more than Judge Judy.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300195 ... oung-thing
Is your auto correct haywire or are you unable to spell any national party members name correctly
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Have I spelled Jamie Beaton incorrectly?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:59 am Have I spelled Jamie Beaton incorrectly?
Actually surprised you hadn't thought up some 12 year oldish poster slur on the blokes name by now tbf.

You manage to do it for every one else.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:06 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:59 am Have I spelled Jamie Beaton incorrectly?
Actually surprised you hadn't thought up some 12 year oldish poster slur on the blokes name by now tbf.

I've got one for you...

Dork.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

:shock:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:29 am
Dark wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:06 am

I've got one for you...

Dork.
Yeah like that.

It humours me it took you nearly an hour and a half to figure out one letter.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Is Simian Brown the new Simon Bridges?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics ... brown.html
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 am Is Simian Brown the new Simon Bridges?

Just out of interest Muttonbirds

Which out of the 4 things in your article Labour promises (when someone bothered to front up) will help most with the current situation at Waikeria?

I am genuinely interested in your opinion.
investing $98 million to work in partnership with whanau, hapū, and iwi to reduce the rates of Māori reoffending

ditching the American-style mega-prison planned by the previous National Government at Waikeria

investing $128 million in mental health and addiction services for offenders

launching Hōkai Rangi, a strategy designed to address the long-term challenge of Māori reoffending and imprisonment.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Dark wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:05 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 am Is Simian Brown the new Simon Bridges?

Which out of the 4 things in your article Labour promises (when someone bothered to front up) will help most with the current situation at Waikeria?

investing $98 million to work in partnership with whanau, hapū, and iwi to reduce the rates of Māori reoffending

ditching the American-style mega-prison planned by the previous National Government at Waikeria

launching Hōkai Rangi, a strategy designed to address the long-term challenge of Māori reoffending and imprisonment.
None of those will help much.

1. Valuable short term strategy but pissing into the wind otherwise.
2. Bigger, more comfortable prisons get filled with more inmates.
3. Mental health has always taken a back seat in this country.
4. We did disenfranchise them, right? Might have to look at that first.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:25 am
Dark wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:05 am

None of those will help much.

1. Valuable short term strategy but pissing into the wind otherwise.
2. Bigger, more comfortable prisons get filled with more inmates.
3. Mental health has always taken a back seat in this country.
4. We did disenfranchise them, right? Might have to look at that first.

Thanks. At least you are honest for once.

I agree.
Dark

Post by Dark »

I don't know enough about it to know if I am talking crap (probably am), but the "ditching the American-style mega-prison planned by the previous National Government at Waikeria"

Seems quite flashing light at neither party talking to each other and ditching mega prisons doesn't automatically rule out just modernising the old one in the interim which might have been forgotten by both govts in amongst the posturing.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Oh shit - didn't want to be arrested for non-attendance I suppose
Hamilton District Court is in lockdown after a person with Covid-19 symptoms entered.

A Ministry of Justice is due to issue more information shortly, but a source has told the Herald that a woman who works at a Hamilton managed isolation facility had recently had a Covid-19 test because she displayed symptoms.

She was still awaiting her test results but turned up at court today anyway.

The source said about 30 people were milling around outside but many others had left.

Many people were stuck inside, left to only peer out from the various windows.

It's unclear how long the building would be in lockdown, but the source said the woman could not be found.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Are there any laws re. not isolating while awaiting test results? It would be ironic if she ends up in court for going to court.

Here’s hoping the test is negative, and if not, that it’s not the British variant.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Enzedder wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:35 pm Oh shit - didn't want to be arrested for non-attendance I suppose
Hamilton District Court is in lockdown after a person with Covid-19 symptoms entered.

A Ministry of Justice is due to issue more information shortly, but a source has told the Herald that a woman who works at a Hamilton managed isolation facility had recently had a Covid-19 test because she displayed symptoms.

She was still awaiting her test results but turned up at court today anyway.

The source said about 30 people were milling around outside but many others had left.

Many people were stuck inside, left to only peer out from the various windows.

It's unclear how long the building would be in lockdown, but the source said the woman could not be found.
O god you're now plagued! :shock:

Wear a mask when you post, FFS. And a condom, in case it's Saffer Bad CoronAIDS.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

It’s negative.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Apparently Labour changed their mind about 1/2 an hour before the 6 o'clock news a few moments ago.

I wonder why. It must be their being caring and nice.

******* disgusting.
Covid-19: Kiwi dying of brain cancer can't get MIQ spot, yet The Wiggles can

On the same day The Wiggles were given a space in managed isolation (MIQ), Yvonne Ponting was told there was no emergency spot for her dying brother to come home to see his family.

Trev Ponting, 46, was diagnosed with brain tumours at the end of 2019 and was treated in Japan, where he lives with his wife, Aiko, and two children, 3-year-old Mia, and 18-month-old Toa.

Ponting left hospital as the Covid-19 pandemic gripped the world, and has remained in Japan to undergo chemotherapy.

Since a re-emergence of tumours towards the end of 2020 his condition has worsened, affecting his mobility and short-term memory.

His doctor estimates he has months to live.

The family's application for an emergency spot in MIQ was denied on Friday morning, as it did not fit under the “serious risk to health” category.

“We have also considered the request for him to return in order to spend time with family. Unfortunately we cannot grant this request either, as it does not meet the criteria for urgent travel to New Zealand," MIQ's emergency allocation team wrote to the family.

“We appreciate this is an incredibly difficult time for the family and that this news may cause distress,” the email said.

An MIQ spokeswoman said there was no guarantee a person fittting the emergency categories would get an allocation.

There are 150 rooms set aside for emergency allocation each fortnight. “This is a last resort option and the threshold is very high," the spokeswoman said.

Australian-based The Wiggles, a popular children's entertainment group, had faced missing their New Zealand shows after tickets were sold before MIQ spaces had been secured.

On Friday, it was confirmed 12 people from the group's crew had been granted vouchers for spaces left aside for contingencies.

Some of Ponting's family, including sister Yvonne Ponting and his two parents, live in Christchurch.

Ponting has lived in Japan since 2015, working as a ski instructor.

Yvonne Ponting said seeing her brother again would be peace for everybody.

“We know at this point that we’re going to lose him and to have his family here and his children here to help support them, that would just be everything," she said.

Trev Ponting had expressed to friends in recent weeks that he wanted to return home, Ponting said.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Would have been egg on Jacindas face if they didnt rectify it. But common sense wins, Stuff just wanted a click bait headline surely
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Sounds like a good outcome.

:thumbup:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Couch wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:23 am Would have been egg on Jacindas face if they didnt rectify it. But common sense wins, Stuff just wanted a click bait headline surely
Yes. It has nothing to do with the current govt being a cynical bunch of pricks not wanting to be found out on National news again preaching "be kind" and it is all about "caring", while being themselves the complete opposite.

Still. At least Neve's mum managed to get emergency contingency so she can see the Wiggles while turning him down.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I would guess that this one should have got to the politicians earlier to fix. What the hell were the public servants thinking?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:32 am I would guess that this one should have got to the politicians earlier to fix. What the hell were the public servants thinking?
Probably we only have 12 emergency rooms left and Ardern says the Wiggles need to use them.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Hardly Labour's fault. The Labour party are not the public servants running these things. Jacinda probably got wind of it through the media and pulled rank on a few ministers.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Auckman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:29 am Hardly Labour's fault. The Labour party are not the public servants running these things. Jacinda probably got wind of it through the media and pulled rank on a few ministers.
She was asked directly about the Wiggles a week ago and hinted they would be sorted.

But feel free to pretend she has no influence.

Like you know. Half an hour before the 6 pm news over a person that has been in the news for a day and a half.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I don't have a problem with anyone pulling rank for The Wiggles. The tour will generate a lot of income for NZ as well, including lots of pay packets.

The Japanese fellow has lived there for 20 years and comes back here on a regular basis. Smart move to involve the media but he could have come back months ago if he had wanted to. Don't think we owe him anything to be honest.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Dark’s bitter tears are as sweet as those first fat drops of rain on a tin roof on a 40C day.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dark wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:10 am
Auckman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:29 am Hardly Labour's fault. The Labour party are not the public servants running these things. Jacinda probably got wind of it through the media and pulled rank on a few ministers.
She was asked directly about the Wiggles a week ago and hinted they would be sorted.

Like you know. Half an hour before the 6 pm news over a person that has been in the news for a day and a half.
Did you even read Auckman's post? He said she pulled rank which suggests influence.

The point being she doesn't have control over the tiny details of all the ministries like she's a Communist leader in one of your fairy stories.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:52 am

The Japanese fellow has lived there for 20 years and comes back here on a regular basis. Smart move to involve the media but he could have come back months ago if he had wanted to. Don't think we owe him anything to be honest.
:?
:roll:
Since a re-emergence of tumours towards the end of 2020 his condition has worsened, affecting his mobility and short-term memory.
He is coming home to die brainiac
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 am
Dark wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:10 am

Did you even read Auckman's post? He said she pulled rank which suggests influence.

The point being she doesn't have control over the tiny details of all the ministries like she's a Communist leader in one of your fairy stories.
I was about to fire off a "please re-read post you dumb shit" response but meh, I remembered it's Dark. x(
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:52 amThe Japanese fellow has lived there for 20 years and comes back here on a regular basis. Smart move to involve the media but he could have come back months ago if he had wanted to. Don't think we owe him anything to be honest.
Looks like we found the public servant who rejected the guy’s application first time around.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Mr Mike wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:34 pm
Enzedder wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:52 amThe Japanese fellow has lived there for 20 years and comes back here on a regular basis. Smart move to involve the media but he could have come back months ago if he had wanted to. Don't think we owe him anything to be honest.
Looks like we found the public servant who rejected the guy’s application first time around.
:lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:52 am I don't have a problem with anyone pulling rank for The Wiggles. The tour will generate a lot of income for NZ as well, including lots of pay packets.

I thought he was getting treatment and hoping to beat the cancer. It's only recently that he has lost his battle and it is now terminal that he decided to come to die at home surrounded by family. He has a Japanese wife and kids who will travel with him. Seems fair enough that he'd want to continue to live his life in Japan while he was having treatment and hoping to beat the illness.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Cheeky bugger - I should have read a bit more about him before posting perhaps but he turned his back on us many years ago - then again, so did many of the people trying to return now so I suppose he should be treated just the same as them.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:58 pm
Cheeky bugger - I should have read a bit more about him before posting perhaps but he turned his back on us many years ago - then again, so did many of the people trying to return now so I suppose he should be treated just the same as them.
That’s a pretty harsh assessment of a distressing personal story, Enz. It’s not like all of us here from time to time share our own personal stories of hardship hoping for a sympathetic ear, right?

He and his family applied for compassionate entry and got turned down. His circumstances, you would think, would be as desperate as it gets for that classification. Some empathy wouldn’t go amiss. It’s a difficult scenario for all involved.
C69

Post by C69 »

Hi guys,so who are the good guys and the bad guys in NZ politics.
Obviously the UK and the World looks on in envy at the lovely Jacinda Ardern :thumbup:

Well I do anyway,just remember we have that cnut BoJo.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

C69 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:05 pm Hi guys,so who are the good guys and the bad guys in NZ politics.
Obviously the UK and the World looks on in envy at the lovely Jacinda Ardern :thumbup:

So do I and all fair, reasonable and intelligent Kiwis. The others want this...

Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I still struggle to believe that's National's solution to infighting and self destruction was to put their most controversial members in charge. What a sh*t show.
Dark

Post by Dark »

C69 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:05 pm Hi guys,so who are the good guys and the bad guys in NZ politics.

Labour are all right as the current lot haven't done anything but publish stupid promises that they could never achieve, so have not had a chance to break much.

Ardern is alright if you want a half decent empty figurehead, who is a tad thick.

National are in complete disarray and would be dire atm, but are also alright normally in a pinch.

The Greens are like every other countries Green Party's. Nutters

The Maori Party are invisible

NZF is no longer around as most of his supporters dumped him like a rotten fish, for picking Labour to be govt after no one else wanted them to be.

So they are all not that bad and fairly middle of the road.

Apart from the Greens obviously