All things Rugby
iarmhiman

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by iarmhiman »

Back in the game
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Now it's on. Apart from that mug dropping a sitter.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Green Bay should have had a touchdown on the 3rd down. Aaron Roger's just had to run ffs
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

a classic match btw - edge of your seat stuff.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

That could be the game.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

And is. What odds would you have got on Brady taking tampa to the superbowl game at the start of this season?
sewa

Post by sewa »

Mahomes will kill the Buccs, but only if he stays fit
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Is he fit now?
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Pet peeve: I really hate how they give the trophy to the owner. If you can't pick a player at least hand it to the coach.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Go Bills
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

sewa wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:28 am Mahomes will kill the Buccs, but only if he stays fit
So apparently this is the first time in history that a team will actually host the Superbowl at their home ground?

That has to improve Tampa's chances.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:32 am Is he fit now?
No idea, he had a big toe problem before the concussion. Brady though is such a legend. After the last game he was throwing ball for Drew Brees kids. After retiring their dad, another legendary player. Tonight walking over and saying can I talk to my kid to some random steward in a bib. Proper man as well as an athlete
sewa

Post by sewa »

Whatever wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:34 am
sewa wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:28 am Mahomes will kill the Buccs, but only if he stays fit
So apparently this is the first time in history that a team will actually host the Superbowl at their home ground?

Even Brady can't beat the Chiefs. Well unless Mahomes breaks down either tonight or in two weeks
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

sewa wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:37 am

Even Brady can't beat the Chiefs. Well unless Mahomes breaks down either tonight or in two weeks
The chiefs have scraped a lot of wins this year, not the beast they were last year. Beat the buccs by just three in the regular season.
Last edited by Gavin Duffy on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

The Chiefs would be favorites but they're hardly unstoppable. They had a lot of very close games this year; you have to go all the way back to Week 8 to find a game they won by more than a TD.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

sewa wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:37 am

It probably will be the Chiefs but the Bills are point scoring machines. Don't be surprised.

That said it's Brady's year. Goes away to Washington, Saints and Packers and wins it all. Beats Brees, Rodgers and possibly Mahomes?

One of the best feats ever in the league. Also any suggestion, any at all, of Rodgers being in the same league needs to be put to bed. At some point, weaknesses to your team aside you've got to make the superbowl. 1 in 5 is poor and he got his home conference final this time.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Does CA produce a disproportionately high number of first class QBs? Or is it just down to their population?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:45 pm Never really realized Lambeau Field is basically just sitting there in the middle of the suburbs. Very rare this side of the Atlantic, only other stadium I can think of like that here is baseball's Wrigley Field in Chicago.
Really?

Chicago's United Centre - for hockey/basketball - was less than 1 mile from my place there
Chicago White Sox - Komsiky/Cellular/whatever it is now
Marlins in Miami similar
sewa

Post by sewa »

I jinxed them, what is going on
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:59 am
fonzeee wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:45 pm Never really realized Lambeau Field is basically just sitting there in the middle of the suburbs. Very rare this side of the Atlantic, only other stadium I can think of like that here is baseball's Wrigley Field in Chicago.
Really?

Chicago's United Centre - for hockey/basketball - was less than 1 mile from my place there
Marlins in Miami similar
SF Giants are pretty central as well, similar to wrigley.
tcc_dc

Post by tcc_dc »

It is actually to have stadiums not in the city like the Washington Football Team, NY Giants, etc...

San Diego baseball right down town, SF same, Seattle Football and Baseball stadiums walkable, Cleveland the same, Washington DC has the Basketball/HOckey stadium dead center in China Town, and baseball stadium in SW, etc etc
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:03 am
LandOTurk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:59 am
Really?

Marlins in Miami similar
SF Giants are pretty central as well, similar to wrigley.
Giants' stadium is almost downtown, not even close to suburban. Ditto the United Center. Plenty of people live near Fenway too for instance but that's still very much an urban environment.

Comiskey is a close call but I'll allow it. Had to google Marlins Park too but yeah that fits.

Most stadiums here are smack in the middle of downtown or in the middle of nowhere outside the city limits where land is cheaper.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Depends on your definition of suburbs I guess.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

I mean like single family detached homes, lawns, and driveways. Maybe give or take some of that depending on the era in which the neighborhood was built but basically like this:

I've seen a billion soccer stadiums like that in the UK and always thought that was pretty cool.
puku

Post by puku »

Arrowhead and Kauffman (baseball) look like they are in a Kansas City suburb, at least from Google Earth.

The Vikings stadium was first mooted to be built on an old munitions superfund site in a City (suburb) 13 miles NE of downtown Mpls, but I'm glad that plan was scrapped.

Anyhow...back to the football
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

I guess 5 klicks from the city centre/downtown just doesn't strike me as suburban but, now that I've looked, Green Bay is a surprisingly small city - about half the size of Cork.
puku

Post by puku »

fonzeee wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:26 am I mean like single family detached homes, lawns, and driveways. Maybe give or take some of that depending on the era in which the neighborhood was built but basically like this:

I've seen a billion soccer stadiums like that in the UK and always thought that was pretty cool.
Lambeau is certainly unique being located in a fairly small city.

Those houses are screaming post WWII GI housing stock...huge 70+ year-old maple trees in the front yard.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 am I guess 5 klicks from the city centre/downtown just doesn't strike me as suburban but, now that I've looked, Green Bay is a surprisingly small city - about half the size of Cork.
It is -- in the league's early days there were teams from all sorts of industrial towns, mining towns, etc. You had teams not only from small cities like Akron, Duluth, and Dayton but also little towns of only a few thousand that aren't even worth naming as no one heard of them before or since (Pottsville??). It wasn't actually terribly different from European sports in that the best teams were invited to participate, major market or otherwise. But of course that eventually went by the wayside, with the lone exception of the Packers.

For the longest time they used to split games between Green Bay and Milwaukee, but by the late 90s I think they went back to Green Bay full time. In any case I'd be surprised if most of their fans didn't come from the Milwaukee metro area. They just wouldn't be able to survive otherwise.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Some pretty disappointing game management from the Bills. I don't think they're much worse than the Chiefs on paper but they are looking like they've not been here before and the Chiefs look like they're playing their third AFC title game in as many years.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Great run by Hill, but that is some poor tackling.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Tempers fraying in this one. Can't exactly throw punches when everyone is wearing a helmet, so it's even sillier than rugby push and shove.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Super Bowl has fallen nicely again on Waitangi Day for us Kiwis :thumbup:
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

fonzeee wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:26 am I mean like single family detached homes, lawns, and driveways. Maybe give or take some of that depending on the era in which the neighborhood was built but basically like this:

It's usual for old stadiums that were once out in the sticks but due to population growth have been surrounded. Indianapolis Motor Speedway when it was built was rural. Now you park in people's yards on race day.

Another one is Wrigley.

Guess I'll cheer for the Chiefs.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

fonzeee wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:07 am
Gavin Duffy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 am I guess 5 klicks from the city centre/downtown just doesn't strike me as suburban but, now that I've looked, Green Bay is a surprisingly small city - about half the size of Cork.
It is -- in the league's early days there were teams from all sorts of industrial towns, mining towns, etc. You had teams not only from small cities like Akron, Duluth, and Dayton but also little towns of only a few thousand that aren't even worth naming as no one heard of them before or since (Pottsville??). It wasn't actually terribly different from European sports in that the best teams were invited to participate, major market or otherwise. But of course that eventually went by the wayside, with the lone exception of the Packers.

For the longest time they used to split games between Green Bay and Milwaukee, but by the late 90s I think they went back to Green Bay full time. In any case I'd be surprised if most of their fans didn't come from the Milwaukee metro area. They just wouldn't be able to survive otherwise.
Green Bay are a complete anachronism in the modern-day NFL. It's a community-owned organization, which is banned in the NFL bylaws for everyone else which require an independent owner (so corporations cannot own teams either), the Packers are grandfathered in because they predate the creation of the bylaw. If the team is ever sold they're required to give all the money to a local civic goodwill organization. If they had an independent owner they would've moved to a bigger city like Milwaukee long ago. My city of Fort Wayne for example the guy that owned the factory in town manufacturing the pistons for all the Big Three automakers was based here and started up an NBA franchise, naming it the Fort Wayne Pistons. They eventually moved to Detroit.

If Green Bay didn't have a Milwaukee fanbase, I think it's likely they would've disappeared. I remember them playing a single game in Milwaukee each year when I was younger.

First season of what became the NFL was 1920. Here's the original teams. Look at the geographic distribution:
Akron Pros - Akron, Ohio - first-ever NFL champions
Buffalo All-Americans - Buffalo, N.Y. - no connection to the modern-day Bills franchise
Canton Bulldogs - Canton, Ohio - Canton is home to the modern-day Pro Football Hall of Fame
Chicago Cardinals - Chicago, Ill. - the Chicago Cardinals played until 1959, moved to St. Louis to play there from 1960 to 1987, and then moved to Phoenix in 1988, eventually becoming the Arizona Cardinals which still exist today
Chicago Tigers - Chicago, Ill. - folded in 1920, have the distinction of being the first-ever NFL team to fold
Cleveland Tigers - Cleveland, Ohio - no connection to the modern-day Ravens or Browns franchises
Columbus Panhandles - Columbus, Ohio
Dayton Triangles - Dayton, Ohio
Decatur Staleys - Decatur, Ill. - this is the modern-day Bears, they moved from Decatur to Chicago in 1921, and they changed their nickname to the Bears in 1922
Detroit Heralds - Detroit, Mich. - no connection to the modern-day Lions franchise
Hammond Pros - Hammond, Ind. - traveling team that only played road games
Muncie Flyers - Muncie, Ind. - traveling team that only played road games
Rochester Jeffersons - Rochester, N.Y.
Rock Island Independents - Rock Island, Ill.
The Green Bay Packers joined what became the NFL in its second season in 1921.
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

vintage_cox wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:00 am Matthew Stafford come on down
I meant come on down to LA, not L.A. :x
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Two 1st rounders, a 3rd rounder and Jared Goff seems like massive overs for Stafford. Unless you consider Goff and his salary as a negative asset and are actually paying more to be rid of him?

If the Rams don't trade back into the 1st round in the next few drafts, it will be 7 years without a 1st round pick (last one being Goff himself). :lol:
Bwen

Post by Bwen »

Fair fucks to Rams, getting Goff's 100 million off the books is a game changer for them. But getting Matty Stafford on top of it. Bravo!
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Bwen wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:42 pm Fair fucks to Rams, getting Goff's 100 million off the books is a game changer for them. But getting Matty Stafford on top of it. Bravo!
Cap issues I'm not sure this deal has a winner.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Good trade for all it seems. I'm sure there are cap hits galore in there but seems like a winner for both.
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

johnstrac wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:00 pm
Bwen wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:42 pm Fair fucks to Rams, getting Goff's 100 million off the books is a game changer for them. But getting Matty Stafford on top of it. Bravo!
Cap issues aside I'm not sure this deal has a winner.