Official NFL 2020

All things Rugby
Yer Man

Re: Official NFL 2019

Post by Yer Man »

Flyin Ryan wrote:I'm sure the owners and league are saying to each other right now "thank God we're in offseason".
And the players just voted to pass the new CBA so we're locked until 2031.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Yer Man wrote:
Rumham wrote:That Hopkins trade. WTF is the world missing here?
Rumours that Hopkins wanted to re-structure his deal, possible holdout.
Texans definitely have to pay Watson and Tunsil.

Quality QBs are hard to find, quality LTs even harder.
Texans have other receivers and this is supposed to be the deepest WR draft in a generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiC_LS7iyYE

They got a backup running back and a 2nd round pick to find a (much cheaper) replacement.
There was certainly a lot going on behind the scenes. But the Falcons just traded the same pick for Hayden Hurst which is insane.

AND they took Johnson's bloated contract. That is just not right.

Anyhow - looks like Brady is gone. That'll make next season interesting.
Stevus55

Post by Stevus55 »

Patriots and Bears are apparently looking at Foles :D
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Stevus55 wrote:Patriots and Bears are apparently looking at Foles :D
That would be good for all sides if indeed Brady bounces. Belichik will bring out Good Foles.

Nick Foles has had one of the strangest careers of anybody I can think of.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

paddyor wrote:So did I read correctly that Brady is a free agent now?
Officially confirmed by him now.

Really don't get that, especially if he goes to the Bucs who are mooted to be one of the top two likeliest destinations.

Gotta be the Chargers. Probably wants to raise his family where he grew up. [edit: apparently he's from Bay Area, not Southern California...close enough I guess]

For once the Chargers' relocation to LA actually pays off.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Brady apparently a done deal with the Buccs.

Dolphins nab top CB Byron Jones.
Bast*rds outbid the Raiders.

At least we've signed TWo starting LBs and Jason Whitten at TE
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Yer Man wrote:Brady apparently a done deal with the Buccs.
Wow.

Thankfully the Bucs are bringing back (more or less) the jerseys they had in their golden era, God forbid Tom's beautiful face be flanked by what were probably the ugliest jerseys in the NFL: https://uni-watch.com/2020/03/12/exclus ... forms/?amp

[Apparently the oversized helmet logo might remain though, and no more orange accent.]
slick

Post by slick »

Just started watching the OJ Simpson 5 parter, I have to say I had no idea that he was such a good player and such a historic figure in the NFL. I thought he was just a half decent player who was quite well known.

fudge he was good though, his movement was beautiful
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

slick wrote:Just started watching the OJ Simpson 5 parter, I have to say I had no idea that he was such a good player and such a historic figure in the NFL. I thought he was just a half decent player who was quite well known.

NFL's first 2,000 yard rusher and in a 14 game season.
slick

Post by slick »

johnstrac wrote:
slick wrote:Just started watching the OJ Simpson 5 parter, I have to say I had no idea that he was such a good player and such a historic figure in the NFL. I thought he was just a half decent player who was quite well known.

NFL's first 2,000 yard rusher and in a 14 game season.
The Run! Honestly could have watched his highlight reel all night, amazing
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

For the NFL's 100th season this year they named an All-Time Team. He made it.

As mentioned above, he rushed for 2,000 yards in a 14 game season, which is insane. Only 7 players have ever done it, and all the rest needed 16 games.
Demilich

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Demilich »

I think the first time I got the idea that OJ Simpson wasn't just some middling NFL footballer, made big by his crimes, was reading Jaws as a kid. One of the cops sons was playing with his food, and the "star" pea on his plate was OJ. :lol:
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

So the NFL draft is going ahead as planned, but I was wondering what the following year's draft is going to look like?

Got to be huge doubt as to whether there will be a college football season at all (or NFL for that matter), which I would think would result in a draft class that is just those players that are already proven and becoming eligible for the first time after this year and some seniors that wanted to finish their college careers (usually not absolute stars, or they would have declared earlier). If that's the case, there's no chance for break-out seasons and a lot of players will want/need to stay on for another year to prove their worth. Could be the skinniest draft-class ever?

Also has potential to affect this year's draft, as I don't think I would want to be trading draft picks this year for picks next year (or if I did, I would be placing less value on them).
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Some analysis I found on the top 3 QB prospects.

Short version: Burrow = excellent, Tua = Elite, Herbert = Bust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dj7Wuw ... GB&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58G7IQF ... GB&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj_TIx ... GB&index=2

Trouble is one of those top two guys will be going straight to hell - via the Bengals.

Can't help but wonder that there won't be a full NFL Season this year, so some teams might prefer to trade current draft capital for future draft capital (i.e. more picks in 2021). If you're not going to get full use of out this year's acquisitions, then hold fire until next year.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Looking ahead to the draft, I see Jake Fromm is on the list. I remember him from QB1, any idea what his fate is likely to be?
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Yer Man wrote:Some analysis I found on the top 3 QB prospects.

Short version: Burrow = excellent, Tua = Elite, Herbert = Bust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dj7Wuw ... GB&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58G7IQF ... GB&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj_TIx ... GB&index=2

Trouble is one of those top two guys will be going straight to hell - via the Bengals.

Can't help but wonder that there won't be a full NFL Season this year, so some teams might prefer to trade current draft capital for future draft capital (i.e. more picks in 2021). If you're not going to get full use of out this year's acquisitions, then hold fire until next year.
I’m pretty high on Herbert but we’ll see.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Gavin Duffy wrote:Looking ahead to the draft, I see Jake Fromm is on the list. I remember him from QB1, any idea what his fate is likely to be?
Probably a round 3-4 pick. He’s kind of a high floor low ceiling guy. I can see him having a long career as a backup. Case Keenum would be my comparison.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Bowens wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:Looking ahead to the draft, I see Jake Fromm is on the list. I remember him from QB1, any idea what his fate is likely to be?
Probably a round 3-4 pick. He’s kind of a high floor low ceiling guy. I can see him having a long career as a backup. Case Keenum would be my comparison.
Would he suit the patriots I wonder?
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

It’s possible. He’s a good fit in Belichick’s system.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

I'm definitely watching this draft no matter what f**king time it is on.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Rumham wrote:I'm definitely watching this draft no matter what f**king time it is on.
Well, there's feck all else to do!
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Yer Man wrote: Can't help but wonder that there won't be a full NFL Season this year, so some teams might prefer to trade current draft capital for future draft capital (i.e. more picks in 2021). If you're not going to get full use of out this year's acquisitions, then hold fire until next year.
As I mentioned above, I suspect it might be the other way round. College football usually starts and ends earlier than NFL and I suspect it's going to be even harder for them to get any sort of season in than the NFL (many more teams distributed across the country). Which may result in a very skinny draft class in 2021. Considering there appears to be a few positions of depth in this draft, I'd be tempted to trade my 2021 picks for 2020 picks and deal with the potential loss of a contract year. Or trade back to 2022.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

This is interesting. Pats reportedly want to trade up for Herbert.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... 2020-draft
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Would we have enough people interested (or bored and on-line at the same time) to do a mock draft?

Maybe need 8 - one for each division.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Any good draft websites out there for mock, player evaluations, trade grades etc? I usually look at Walterfootball which has good content but damn it’s got some 90s software behind it.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Biffer29 wrote:Any good draft websites out there for mock, player evaluations, trade grades etc? I usually look at Walterfootball which has good content but damn it’s got some 90s software behind it.
I've been using that as a starting point for a couple of years, in depth look at lots and lots of players.
I use if to identify which players have height / speed / power as pluses or minuses and which players have noted motivation or off-field issues.
I know virtually nothing about College Football so it's a useful, but painstaking, effort to go through looking for reviews that catch the eye and names to look out for.
Even if you just take an in depth look at a couple of positions you're most interested in.
Also try Bleacher Report.

Then run endless mock drafts (I mostly use "On the Clock") to build a feel for what players will go when and where.

https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock-nfl-moc ... simulator/

Pick your team, how many rounds you want to go with, select a "Big Board" (try several) and a I usually favour "User-voted" team needs since this seems to have a better feel for what each team really wants.
Use the "difficult" algorithm, otherwise star players are liable to fall far too much.
And away you go - give it a few runs and you'll get an appreciation of what positions will get a big run going early and what positions will have very good options dropping into the 2nd & 3rd rounds.
What players might get elevated due to lack of alternatives rather than inherent talent.
There will be some seriously good WRs taken in rounds 2 and 3 this year.

If you're looking for alternative player ratings & grades, just have a look at the Big Board options and go research that source.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Just did a couple of quick first round mocks... and Justin Herbert didn't go in the 1st round of either.
Don't think that's gonna happen :lol:
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

Anyone rate Panthers' new coach Rhule?
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Yer Man wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:Any good draft websites out there for mock, player evaluations, trade grades etc? I usually look at Walterfootball which has good content but damn it’s got some 90s software behind it.
I've been using that as a starting point for a couple of years, in depth look at lots and lots of players.
I use if to identify which players have height / speed / power as pluses or minuses and which players have noted motivation or off-field issues.
I know virtually nothing about College Football so it's a useful, but painstaking, effort to go through looking for reviews that catch the eye and names to look out for.
Even if you just take an in depth look at a couple of positions you're most interested in.
Also try Bleacher Report.

Then run endless mock drafts (I mostly use "On the Clock") to build a feel for what players will go when and where.

https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock-nfl-moc ... simulator/

Pick your team, how many rounds you want to go with, select a "Big Board" (try several) and a I usually favour "User-voted" team needs since this seems to have a better feel for what each team really wants.
Use the "difficult" algorithm, otherwise star players are liable to fall far too much.
And away you go - give it a few runs and you'll get an appreciation of what positions will get a big run going early and what positions will have very good options dropping into the 2nd & 3rd rounds.
What players might get elevated due to lack of alternatives rather than inherent talent.
There will be some seriously good WRs taken in rounds 2 and 3 this year.

If you're looking for alternative player ratings & grades, just have a look at the Big Board options and go research that source.
Cheers, will have a play with that.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Clive Simms wrote:Anyone rate Panthers' new coach Rhule?
He’s solid but the real splash they made was hiring Joe Brady from LSU as offensive coordinator. One of the best young coaches in the game.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Von Miller has Corona!

Will Denver need to move Edge Rusher up their draft board?
You'd have to worry with the reports that some of the people who recover from a Covid infection still suffer long term damage to lungs & respiratory system.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Clive Simms wrote:Anyone rate Panthers' new coach Rhule?
Yes. He built up a couple of college programmes from nothing and it's a big rebuilding job they have there. It'll take time and that's the expectation they have.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Is this the luckiest sporting code atm?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

CrazyIslander wrote:Is this the luckiest sporting code atm?
Yes.

Was reading up on the CFL earlier this week that has an earlier start date in summer. Seems like playing in empty stadiums will not be possible to them due to them being more dependent on gameday revenues. So it's either they're going to play in front of fans or season cancelled.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

All about to kick off in a couple of hours.

Watch Cincinnatti do something stupid :nod:
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

My preferred Raiders approach:

At 12, pick Lamb or Jeudy. If neither is available, take one of the top couple of CBs if they are still on the board, otherwise trade back. For whatever reason, Ruggs just seems like an Al Davis wide-receiver pick to me, where speed is viewed as the main requirement - think there will be much better value in some of the later picks. Though it wouldn't surprise me that much if Mayock sees one of the other receivers as number 1 on his draft board either.

At 18 - unless there is a home-run CB or LB available here, trade back.

A second round pick or even another 3rd round pick and value picks later in the first round wouldn't be a bad deal, considering the depth of WR in this draft and there is a crop of CBs who are likely to be as available in the late 1st/early 2nd as they are at 18.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/jerry-jones ... 33831.html

I really hope Jerry brings the lolz this draft. Punter in the first round.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Demilich wrote:https://us.yahoo.com/sports/jerry-jones ... 33831.html

I really hope Jerry brings the lolz this draft. Punter in the first round.
To be fair, half of the punters that have been taken in the first round became Hall of Famers.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Demilich wrote:My preferred Raiders approach:

At 12, pick Lamb or Jeudy. If neither is available, take one of the top couple of CBs if they are still on the board, otherwise trade back. For whatever reason, Ruggs just seems like an Al Davis wide-receiver pick to me, where speed is viewed as the main requirement - think there will be much better value in some of the later picks. Though it wouldn't surprise me that much if Mayock sees one of the other receivers as number 1 on his draft board either.

At 18 - unless there is a home-run CB or LB available here, trade back.

A second round pick or even another 3rd round pick and value picks later in the first round wouldn't be a bad deal, considering the depth of WR in this draft and there is a crop of CBs who are likely to be as available in the late 1st/early 2nd as they are at 18.
If Tua somehow falls to 12, what would you do?

Pick him, trade down, or go with the best WR/CB?
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Saw a poll on twitter: who will make the first head-scratching move?
Redskins
Giants
Raiders
Cowboys

Raiders leading with 35%