Official NFL 2020

All things Rugby
Jim Lahey

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Jim Lahey »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/54114028

Maybe the clip didn’t pick it up but I’m not hearing much in the way of boo-ing. Certainly a lot more clapping than boo-ing.

Was there actual booing or is this just woke fake news?
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Browns haven't won on opening day since 2005.
Still haven't, Ravens look VERY tasty with the 38-6 win.

AFC looks like it will be the two horse race that people are expecting.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

So the Buccs move on from a QB who threw 30 TD's and 30 INT's last season.
For a guy whose first scoring pass was a pick six and who finished with 2 INT's and 2 TD's.
Bwen

Post by Bwen »

Buccs could be a scary prospect if they get to Saints levels of fluidity by Xmas. Make play offs and anything can happen. I'd take Brees over Brady on current form though.

On the other side of the Brady vrs Belichicknarrative. Belichick again changes tack to get the W. Defense looks good but hard to see that being enough. Play offs would be a good year for that roster.

Emmanuel Sanders was huge for 49ers last year and again shows their offense is ordinary without him.

Rams and Cowboys was good fun. Two evenly match teams with Goff and Dak directing their offense well. Some great defensive turnovers by Rams to decide the game in the final quarter though.

Can't believe Jaguars won :shock: Gardner Mindshew the real deal?

Despite all the above, there is complete daylight between the league and Wilson, Lamar and Mahomes. Those 3 are just a different gravy of player.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Vegas Baby!

Good to get a win first up, but still looks like a pretty fragile roster. Might scrape a wild-card if things go well.

Ravens looking good though - fingers crossed for a Steelers loss today. :thumbup:

On the other side of the draw, I hope the Cards have a good season.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

anyone watching cowboys and falcons. Cowboys after being 20 points down have just won an onside kick and could now steal it
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

What a steal by the Cowboys
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Bwen wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:17 pm Buccs could be a scary prospect if they get to Saints levels of fluidity by Xmas. Make play offs and anything can happen. I'd take Brees over Brady on current form though.

On the other side of the Brady vrs Belichicknarrative. Belichick again changes tack to get the W. Defense looks good but hard to see that being enough. Play offs would be a good year for that roster.

Emmanuel Sanders was huge for 49ers last year and again shows their offense is ordinary without him.

Rams and Cowboys was good fun. Two evenly match teams with Goff and Dak directing their offense well. Some great defensive turnovers by Rams to decide the game in the final quarter though.

Can't believe Jaguars won :shock: Gardner Mindshew the real deal?

Despite all the above, there is complete daylight between the league and Wilson, Lamar and Mahomes. Those 3 are just a different gravy of player.
Watson is in the group . He just needs some weapons
Bwen

Post by Bwen »

Early game Redzone was unbelieveable craic. Feels like a comedown watching this first half football afterwards.

@Anonymous I'd be taking Murray over Watson at the moment. The lads doing a very good Russell Wilson impersonation.
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Saints look old, slow and over-rated
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

vintage_cox wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 am Saints look old, slow and over-rated
I did think at HT last week that both Brees and Brady were looking old and limited.
Brady found some rhythm in the 2nd half although the Saints were sitting back at that point.
But Brees looked ordinary and the defence / running game had been dominant.

Last night was a shock with how the Saints offence ground to a half after a red hot start.
10-0 with 145 yards vs 34 at the end of the first quarter.
I seriously considered switching off and getting a decent nights sleep.
Glad I didn't!
Bwen

Post by Bwen »

How many teams do people think will come out of NFC West and who will they be?

49ers are f**ked with injuries
Rams looking like two years ago again, admittedly against poor opposition
Seahawks are my pick to win the NFC
Cardinals looking shit hot
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Remind me , is this the start of the 7 team play offs ?
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Arizona have huge deficiencies but it might not matter, their opening schedule is cake. I think 3 make it with the last wildcard likely Tampa. Chicago look to be on the precipice, the Vikings collapse might push them in.

The top of the AFC is bonkers, very excited for Monday night. And yeah I don't think Watson is especially close to the top tier of Wilson, Mahomes, Lamar (Or Rodgers if this start is real.)
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

vintage_cox wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 am Saints look old, slow and over-rated
Considering they were only 7 points down right at the end after giving up so many yards in the second half through penalties I would not write them off. Plus all that shit with Brees must still be working itself out. Although I can't see him ever being the leader he was before.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Las Vegas Baby!

Undefeated season still on. ;)
johnstrac wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm Remind me , is this the start of the 7 team play offs ?
Yeah, 3 wildcards for each conference.
Bwen wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm How many teams do people think will come out of NFC West and who will they be?

I think 3 come out - not sure which 3 (though Seahawks seem inevitable right now), but with the injuries it might be 49ers that miss out. Probably should be all 4 that come out though, if they didn't have to beat up on each other twice.
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Demilich wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 pm Las Vegas Baby!

johnstrac wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm Remind me , is this the start of the 7 team play offs ?
Bwen wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm How many teams do people think will come out of NFC West and who will they be?

I think 3 come out - not sure which 3 (though Seahawks seem inevitable right now), but with the injuries it might be 49ers that miss out. Probably should be all 4 that come out though, if they didn't have to beat up on each other twice.
Is it mathematically possible for all 4 teams to make the play offs ?
I recall years ago the Chargers going 7-9 in the old (5 team) AFC West after going 0-8 in the division.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

johnstrac wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:30 pm
Demilich wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 pm Las Vegas Baby!

Is it mathematically possible for all 4 teams to make the play offs ?
I recall years ago the Chargers going 7-9 in the old (5 team) AFC West after going 0-8 in the division.
Yeah, definitely mathematically possible - though pretty long odds. Actually tried checking the odds after writing that yesterday and it was sitting at just over 3% for the NFC West. I think the next most likely division was at 0.02% of sending four. :lol:

Though I've now seen other reports putting it at 16% and a computer model that actually has it as the most likely outcome currently, so who knows?
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

https://www.khou.com/article/sports/nf ... G8xqrS86Ls

Second trio to play in the same game since 1927, the Barretts of the NFL
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

NFC Division predictions after two games:

NFC East - Shite, if Atlanta hadn't choked then the only win in this division would have been a division game!
Cowboys will win by default, everybody else is picking early - already speculation that Giants will aim for Trevor Lawrence just to get a "name" in New York.

NFC North - Packers will stroll it, Bears might cobble together enough wins to sneak into a wild card spot.

NFC South - Saints and Buccs should contest this division, Brees looks old. Expect Buccs to improve as season gone on.

NFC West - all four teams are legit, or were until SF got those crippling injuries. Seahawks look dangerous (or should that be Danger-Russ?), Rams rebounding, Cardinals look tasty. Pretty confident that three teams will make the post-season, and the 4th team will still be good. My bet, SF miss out - despite the strongest roster (when fit).

Playoffs: #1 Packers, #2 Seahawks, #3 Buccs, #4 Cowboys, #5 Saints, #6 Rams, #7 Cardinals
(I think the Saints could be the weakest wild card team, but AFC West teams will take games off each other)
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

AFC Division Predictions:

AFC East - Bills look solid, Patriots aren't shite. Both will go 5-1 in their division and pick up smart wins elsewhere. Dolphins are so/so, the impact of Burrow & Herbert will press Tua into service sooner rather than later (Fitz saved his job by winning last night)

AFC North - Ravens by a country mile, Browns look better when they run the ball but defence is poor so far. Steelers defence excellent, Big Ben scrapping the rust off but not looking too impressive. One of them will put it together and make the post-season. Bengals already looking better and they will f*ck up somebody's season.

AFC South - Looks tight, with nobody special but nobody shite - Jags have forgotten to tank. Titans most likely, Texans have the best QB - but no DeHop. Titans to win, Colts or Texans could put enough form together to make the post-season.

AFC West - Chiefs will win it in second gear, their main business is in January. Broncos have lost Drew Lock and Von Miller. Raiders look better on offence, but not defence. Chargers have the most talent and might have lucked into starting Herbert early. One of the three will make a playoff run, Chargers would be my tip right now.

#1 Ravens, #2 Chiefs, nobody else matters.
Well, if you insist, #3 Patriots, #4 Titans, #5 Bills, #6 Steelers, #7 Chargers
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Did you hear about how Justin Herbert got to start?

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/2 ... ources-say

Tyrod Taylor had chest pains before the game, due to cracked ribs, needed a pain killing injection.
Team Doctor accidentally punctured his lung! :shock:
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

That doctor is fired and will never have a job in the NFL again.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:39 pm That doctor is fired and will never have a job in the NFL again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0nxnCGZM7E

Interesting overview of what happened.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:12 pm
Bwen wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:17 pmDespite all the above, there is complete daylight between the league and Wilson, Lamar and Mahomes. Those 3 are just a different gravy of player.
Nah. Josh Allen is though. And there's no reason to think Rodgers ever left that group.

Lamar Jackson is a funny one as he's not as good a passer as the above, but there's just no one else like him.

Tannehill gets an honorable mention.

I still don't know what to make of Brady yet. Brees finally falling off sadly.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:50 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:12 pm
Bwen wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:17 pmDespite all the above, there is complete daylight between the league and Wilson, Lamar and Mahomes. Those 3 are just a different gravy of player.
Nah. Josh Allen is though. And there's no reason to think Rodgers ever left that group.

Lamar Jackson is a funny one as he's not as good a passer as the above, but there's just no one else like him.

Tannehill gets an honorable mention.

I still don't know what to make of Brady yet. Brees finally falling off sadly.
Brady is past it but I find it hard to believe issues over his comments are not affecting the Brees situation. I think things will settle down and he will be OK.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Some choke by Falcons.

Foles will be great for the Bears
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Gruden is maddeningly conservative with his play calling.

3 yard run, 2 yard run, then try a pass against the best 3rd down defence in the league :roll:
They only time we were aggressive was the end of the first half - and we got a quick TD.

Not that it mattered, we got annihilated by their running game.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Yer Man wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:36 pm Gruden is maddeningly conservative with his play calling.

3 yard run, 2 yard run, then try a pass against the best 3rd down defence in the league :roll:
They only time we were aggressive was the end of the first half - and we got a quick TD.

Sony Michel is class
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:44 pm
Yer Man wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:36 pm Gruden is maddeningly conservative with his play calling.

Sony Michel is class
That as well.
And, you have to admit, so is Josh McDaniels.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Anyone remember how the sacking of "Coach Clap" would solve the Dallas problem of starting games slowly and making early mistakes that left Dak playing from behind so much?

tbf, he does get hot in the 4th Q, but Russell Wilson is better.
Also crucial "roughing the passer" call on the initial attempt at Seattle's 2 point conversion meant Dallas needed a TD to tie instead of win.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Entertaining game that one.

Wentz has thrown one fewer interception in 3 games than he did in all of 2019. We get the draw so we can't even tank for Trevor properly.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

B.D.N
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:25 pm Some choke by Falcons.

Foles will be great for the Bears
Yep. Go Da Bears!
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

A kick return for a touchdown. God how I miss them so.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Tangentially rugby-related: just saw that the Chargers lost on a failed attempt at the VERY underrated hook and ladder: https://youtu.be/gTqmgFLq4rE?t=791
Mr. White

Post by Mr. White »

My friend wants to know where she can stream NFL games live now that the NFL Reddit forum has been killed?
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Mr. White wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 am My friend wants to know where she can stream NFL games live now that the NFL Reddit forum has been killed?
https://nflbite.com/

Asked a friend of mine, they had no idea.
Mr. White

Post by Mr. White »

Thanks Yer Man, she'll appreciate it.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Cam gone to Covid reserve. Two games postponed now. Get the feeling that this season is going to unravel fast. :(