Official NFL 2020

All things Rugby
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Whatever »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 pm
Whatever wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:38 am The Footballs done, right on schedule :(
I thought their QB Heinicke played a really good game for himself considering it was his first career start.

I feel Seattle's and Pittsburgh's losses over the weekend were really damning in a sense of "where do we go from here?" Seattle are wasting most of Russell Wilson's career because they cannot find effective offensive linemen to protect him year after year, and him being a scrambling QB and getting older, the end is near. Pittsburgh meanwhile, something has to change. Tomlin, Roethlisberger, something. Normally it's the coach but Rooney has always given his coaches a long leash. Roethlisberger is in his twilight.
I thought Heinicke did as well as he could, but they obviously would have wanted a fit Smith. Washington does seem to have bad luck with QBs.

And with so many good athletes about, Roethlisberger has always stood out for not being one. When you look at him and then look at the shape Brady is in, it does seem surprising he is still going.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19257
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by paddyor »

Yer Man wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:17 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 pm
Whatever wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:38 am The Footballs done, right on schedule :(
I thought their QB Heinicke played a really good game for himself considering it was his first career start.

I feel Seattle's and Pittsburgh's losses over the weekend were really damning in a sense of "where do we go from here?" Seattle are wasting most of Russell Wilson's career because they cannot find effective offensive linemen to protect him year after year, and him being a scrambling QB and getting older, the end is near. Pittsburgh meanwhile, something has to change. Tomlin, Roethlisberger, something. Normally it's the coach but Rooney has always given his coaches a long leash. Roethlisberger is in his twilight.
Pittsburgh to make a trade for Darnold or Wentz and draft a quality running back would go a long way to refreshing things.
Apparently one of the Colts coaches is Wentz old college coach and there was a rumour of Wentz heading off next season with Hurts finishing "strongly". Pederson is gone though
Yer Man
Posts: 20808
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Yer Man »

paddyor wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm Apparently one of the Colts coaches is Wentz old college coach and there was a rumour of Wentz heading off next season with Hurts finishing "strongly". Pederson is gone though
Um...

The Colts Head Coach is Frank Reich.

His previous job was... Offensive Co-ordinator at Philadelphia.
He coached Wentz to the best form of his career - and was able to win a Superbowl with Nick Foles.
Wentz has been sliding backwards since Reich left.

Plenty of people have been suggesting it's just the sort of re-start that Wentz needs.
He'd need to give a bit in order to facilitate a trade, i.e. give up say $20M, otherwise the Eagles are screwed by the huge Dead Cap hit.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

Yer Man wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm
paddyor wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm Apparently one of the Colts coaches is Wentz old college coach and there was a rumour of Wentz heading off next season with Hurts finishing "strongly". Pederson is gone though
Um...

The Colts Head Coach is Frank Reich.

His previous job was... Offensive Co-ordinator at Philadelphia.
He coached Wentz to the best form of his career - and was able to win a Superbowl with Nick Foles.
Wentz has been sliding backwards since Reich left.

Plenty of people have been suggesting it's just the sort of re-start that Wentz needs.
He'd need to give a bit in order to facilitate a trade, i.e. give up say $20M, otherwise the Eagles are screwed by the huge Dead Cap hit.
They could probably do worse than Wentz. I've never been the biggest fan of his but I really rate this Colts team, he might be enough to get them over the line.
Bwen
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Bwen »

Eagles O Line is shite. 65 sacks this season. ( Next highest is 50) Wentz took 50 of them in the 12ish games he played. That's more than Joe burrows and look how that ended up playing out. If eagles don't get him an O Line then he might as well get a trade for less money.
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 10644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Flyin Ryan »

No emotional sympathy in this profession.
On Monday, the Philadelphia Eagles reportedly decided to let head coach Doug Pederson go after five years with the franchise. Pederson finishes his time in Philadelphia with a 42-37-1 record and a victory in Super Bowl LII, but the team's collapse in 2020 ended up being too much for him to overcome. He is the first head coach to be fired within three years of winning a Super Bowl since Don McCafferty in 1972.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19257
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by paddyor »

Apparently part of the problem the GM. We've drafted one pro bowler since early 2010s(Wentz) and that's it.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

Bwen wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:01 pm Eagles O Line is shite. 65 sacks this season. ( Next highest is 50) Wentz took 50 of them in the 12ish games he played. That's more than Joe burrows and look how that ended up playing out. If eagles don't get him an O Line then he might as well get a trade for less money.
That's pretty shocking. Especially since they have the other Kelce at center, who like his brother is multiple time First Team All Pro.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

Bills
Chiefs
Bucs
Packers

Book it
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19257
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by paddyor »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 pm
Bwen wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:01 pm Eagles O Line is shite. 65 sacks this season. ( Next highest is 50) Wentz took 50 of them in the 12ish games he played. That's more than Joe burrows and look how that ended up playing out. If eagles don't get him an O Line then he might as well get a trade for less money.
That's pretty shocking. Especially since they have the other Kelce at center, who like his brother is multiple time First Team All Pro.
He's been the only one of the superbowl OL left. THe rest either moved on or injured.
User avatar
vintage_cox
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by vintage_cox »

DeShaun Watson just started following Sean Payton andIknowit'ssillytoreadtoomuchnitothatsortofthingbutjustimaginehowgreatthatwouldbe!!!!!!
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Demilich »

vintage_cox wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 am DeShaun Watson just started following Sean Payton andIknowit'ssillytoreadtoomuchnitothatsortofthingbutjustimaginehowgreatthatwouldbe!!!!!!
Sean Payton new coach of the Texans? :shock:
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

vintage_cox wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 am DeShaun Watson just started following Sean Payton andIknowit'ssillytoreadtoomuchnitothatsortofthingbutjustimaginehowgreatthatwouldbe!!!!!!
Bit overrated for me but no doubt he would absolutely thrive in the Saints' system.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 13686
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by LandOTurk »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:12 am Bills
Chiefs
Bucs
Packers

Book it
Packers
Bucs
Ravens
Chiefs
User avatar
Zico
Posts: 7866
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Zico »

The Socialist system of NFL is hard to follow..

Cleveland Browns should have the best young players for a long time, so with a decent coach do what the Patriots have done.

Simples :)
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Demilich »

I enjoyed last week, as every game went the way I wanted it to (Ravens winning and Steelers getting stuffed were the two I was most interested in :D ).

My preferred teams to win this week are (not a prediction or who actually will win):

Ravens
Browns
Packers
Buccs

To be honest, I can see a storyline I like in pretty much every team remaining though.

Ravens - my second team
Browns - years of misery
Bills - years of misery
Packers - Rogers - HOF career worthy of a second ring
Saints - Brees - HOF career worthy of a second ring
Buccs - too many anti-Brady moaners about, so winning a ring with out Belichek would be enjoyable to watch - plus a HC ring for Arians
Chiefs - I can't begrudge Mahomes going back-to-back (wouldn't put it past them to get the first 3-peat either)
Rams - OK, not that much going on here - I just quite like the Rams and Aaron Donald
User avatar
vintage_cox
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by vintage_cox »

Demilich wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 am
vintage_cox wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 am DeShaun Watson just started following Sean Payton andIknowit'ssillytoreadtoomuchnitothatsortofthingbutjustimaginehowgreatthatwouldbe!!!!!!
Sean Payton new coach of the Texans? :shock:
:D I think he's just a troll

I was reading how he started following a bunch of Chicago people right after he was linked to the Bears. He would have done this in response to Tyrann Mathieu saying the Saints should trade for him the other day
Yer Man
Posts: 20808
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Yer Man »

vintage_cox wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:48 am
Demilich wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 am
vintage_cox wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 am DeShaun Watson just started following Sean Payton andIknowit'ssillytoreadtoomuchnitothatsortofthingbutjustimaginehowgreatthatwouldbe!!!!!!
Sean Payton new coach of the Texans? :shock:
:D I think he's just a troll

I was reading how he started following a bunch of Chicago people right after he was linked to the Bears. He would have done this in response to Tyrann Mathieu saying the Saints should trade for him the other day
Saints is one of the teams he definitely won't be going to.

They are miles over the cap next season so have to make major roster cuts.
(And by "way over" I mean $99M over at this moment in time)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

They're due to pay Drew Brees $36M, or only $22M if they cut him.
(Not sure how it works out if Brees retires, but it cost the Cowboys $20M when Tony Romo retired a few years ago whilst under contract).
Plus Taysom Hill at $16M.

And Watson's contract, whilst a mere $15.9M in 2021, then leaps to over $40M.
johnstrac
Posts: 768
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by johnstrac »

I want Packers, Saints, Bills and Chiefs.
I suspect the Bucs and Ravens (really dislike them) will upset that however.
User avatar
vintage_cox
Posts: 1443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by vintage_cox »

Mickey Loomis always finds a way :P (But no one seriously thinks its a possibility)

They've almost drafted too well in recent years and now the roster is loaded and ready to win that they can't blow it up and rebuild

Kick the can down the road some more, the cap will drop this year but bank on it shooting back up in 22 with some sweet sweet legalised gambling money.

I read something recently where Loomis was interviewed and basically said all the cap doom and gloom is overblown and they always manage sort it out. Convert 50 mil of salary into some bonuses and make one or two tough decisions. Easy
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Whatever »

johnstrac wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:03 pm I want Packers, Saints, Bills and Chiefs.
I suspect the Bucs and Ravens (really dislike them) will upset that however.
Why so?

At least this game is a tight one, Packers was a blow out.
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Whatever »

Well that's the 2 teams from the DMV gone. Ignominious end for Jackson.

Looking forward to Brady v Brees tomorrow.
User avatar
Newsome
Posts: 3394
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Newsome »

Jackson looks like he doesn't have the temperament to succeed in the playoff. He's always screaming and shouting. Not a leader.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 13686
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by LandOTurk »

In order who I would like to win the SB:

Bills - because of 4 SB losses
Browns - because they are perennially sh1t
Bucs - be funny if Brady won again
Chiefs - I like Mahomes
Saints - one last hoorah for Brees
Packers - don't like Aaron Rodgers (tosser by all accounts)
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

LandOTurk wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:29 am In order who I would like to win the SB:

Bills - because of 4 SB losses
Browns - because they are perennially sh1t
Bucs - be funny if Brady won again
Chiefs - I like Mahomes
Saints - one last hoorah for Brees
Packers - don't like Aaron Rodgers (tosser by all accounts)
Whose account, Danica Patrick's?
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Demilich »

I think my preference would be a Bills vs Buccs Superbowl, from what is left.

Though having Tom Brady finally leave their division, only to potentially beat them in the Superbowl the very next year might possibly be too much for Bills fans to handle. :lol:

32-3 record against the Bills... :shock:
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9877
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Leinsterman »

That was some intercept TD for the Bills last night :shock:
Don't think they'll beat the Chiefs assuming the Chiefs beat the Browns later but you never know.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

Nice Browns moment there with the fumble into the endzone.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

Kelce runs better routes than most receivers -- put a Pro Bowl cornerback on his ass for that TD. The fact he's also an elite blocking TE makes him one of the best players in the league, really.
Bwen
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Bwen »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:26 pm Nice Browns moment there with the fumble into the endzone.
Blatant use of helmet from Sorenson for me. No mention on comms though. Being brought up on half time talk now.
fonzeee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:28 pm Kelce runs better routes than most receivers -- put a Pro Bowl cornerback on his ass for that TD. The fact he's also an elite blocking TE makes him one of the best players in the league, really.
His agility for a big man is insane. With him and Hill, they should walk the Bills.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

I don't know the particulars of the rule, but I'd like to think there's some accounting for the fact that the ballcarrier had laid out and in doing so had placed his helmet in an extremely low position.
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Whatever »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:43 pm I don't know the particulars of the rule, but I'd like to think there's some accounting for the fact that the ballcarrier had laid out and in doing so had placed his helmet in an extremely low position.
Flippin' dangerous, on the necks for both the flying headbutter and headbuttee.
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19257
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by paddyor »

Mahomes out of the game with about 11 minutes to go.

Browns just came back with a TD 16-22 PAT to come.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

paddyor wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:31 pm Mahomes out of the game with about 11 minutes to go.

Browns just came back with a TD 16-22 PAT to come.
This is why you don't run with your f**king quarterback. Andy Reid really should have known better.

The softening of the game has made it a good deal less risky, but this is why nobody dared let QBs carry the ball in designed runs until a few years ago. Evidently the danger is still there.
Last edited by fonzeee on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 10644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Flyin Ryan »

4th and 9, yeah. Punting with 4 minutes to go...better make them go 3 and out.
iarmhiman
Posts: 41753
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by iarmhiman »

Great game this
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 10644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Flyin Ryan »

paddyor wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:31 pm Mahomes out of the game with about 11 minutes to go.

Browns just came back with a TD 16-22 PAT to come.
If they win, 7 day turnaround to next week. I imagine he'll play just because Mahomes will lie about it and it's in everyone's interest including the NFL's.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by fonzeee »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:55 pm
paddyor wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:31 pm Mahomes out of the game with about 11 minutes to go.

Browns just came back with a TD 16-22 PAT to come.
If they win, 7 day turnaround to next week. I imagine he'll play just because Mahomes will lie about it and it's in everyone's interest including the NFL's.
How tf did he even get concussed? Hardly any contact to the head at all from what i saw.
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 10644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Official NFL 2020

Post by Flyin Ryan »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:57 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:55 pm
paddyor wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:31 pm Mahomes out of the game with about 11 minutes to go.

Browns just came back with a TD 16-22 PAT to come.
If they win, 7 day turnaround to next week. I imagine he'll play just because Mahomes will lie about it and it's in everyone's interest including the NFL's.
How tf did he even get concussed? Hardly any contact to the head at all from what i saw.
I didn't see it except in replay. Turned the game on not knowing anything and saw Henne at QB for the Chiefs.
Post Reply