The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14936
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Hellraiser »

ROG is looking at a minimum of 4 weeks. :thumbup:
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 22034
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

etherman wrote:When's the squad announcement?
Thursday, after Rog is cleared
etherman
Posts: 5314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by etherman »

nabanoba wrote:Ireland squad will be announced at 10 on Thursday.

Personally I can't wait to be enraged by it.
Deccie should have asked to share Oprahs couch with lance.
MunsterMan!!!!!
Posts: 5205
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

nabanoba wrote:Ireland squad will be announced at 10 on Thursday.

Personally I can't wait to be enraged by it.

Could they not wait till ROGate is over? Isn't that at 12 the same day?
etherman
Posts: 5314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by etherman »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
nabanoba wrote:Ireland squad will be announced at 10 on Thursday.

Personally I can't wait to be enraged by it.

Could they not wait till ROGate is over? Isn't that at 12 the same day?
It really shouldn't have a bearing. (crosses finger, says 7 Hail Marys)
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 22034
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
nabanoba wrote:Ireland squad will be announced at 10 on Thursday.

Personally I can't wait to be enraged by it.

Could they not wait till ROGate is over? Isn't that at 12 the same day?
Deccie will know at 9 that morning,it's handy having the IRFU and ERC office in the same building.
User avatar
Brumby_in_Vic
Posts: 15878
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

True. But BiV is saying ROG was offered more than 800k per annum? Short term contracts tend to have a premium attached to them. And then there is the whole Carter V ROG debate. Who really is the greatest of all time?
Who is the best flyhalf of all time is irrelevant to a French club. Not many players would have been offered 800k a season when O'Gara received those substantial offers from Stade Francais in his prime several seasons ago. I doubt even Larkham, McCaw, George Smith would have been offered 800k a season in France in say 2005. You can't compare today's Rugby money to what was on offer 7 to 10 years ago at least.
soyhmf
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by soyhmf »

Hellraiser wrote:ROG is looking at a minimum of 4 weeks. :thumbup:
Well that's a major blow to Ireland and munster's ambitions :nod:
ZappaMan
Posts: 16346
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by ZappaMan »

etherman wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
nabanoba wrote:Ireland squad will be announced at 10 on Thursday.

Personally I can't wait to be enraged by it.

Could they not wait till ROGate is over? Isn't that at 12 the same day?
It really shouldn't have a bearing. (crosses finger, says 7 Hail Marys)
Well they aren't going to help you. Try a half dozen Lord's Prayers instead :thumbup:
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 22034
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
True. But BiV is saying ROG was offered more than 800k per annum? Short term contracts tend to have a premium attached to them. And then there is the whole Carter V ROG debate. Who really is the greatest of all time?
Who is the best flyhalf of all time is irrelevant to a French club. Not many players would have been offered 800k a season when O'Gara received those substantial offers from Stade Francais in his prime several seasons ago. I doubt even Larkham, McCaw, George Smith would have been offered 800k a season in France in say 2005. You can't compare today's Rugby money to what was on offer 7 to 10 years ago at least.
He was offered somewhere in the region of €400,000,this was at a time when BoD was on €250,000 from the IRFU.
Stade also went after PoC and DoC at around the same time,threw silly numbers at them.
etherman
Posts: 5314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by etherman »

ZappaMan wrote:
etherman wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
nabanoba wrote:Ireland squad will be announced at 10 on Thursday.

Personally I can't wait to be enraged by it.

Could they not wait till ROGate is over? Isn't that at 12 the same day?
It really shouldn't have a bearing. (crosses finger, says 7 Hail Marys)
Well they aren't going to help you. Try a half dozen Lord's Prayers instead :thumbup:
OK but I'm only doing the proper short version.
soyhmf
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by soyhmf »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
True. But BiV is saying ROG was offered more than 800k per annum? Short term contracts tend to have a premium attached to them. And then there is the whole Carter V ROG debate. Who really is the greatest of all time?
Who is the best flyhalf of all time is irrelevant to a French club. Not many players would have been offered 800k a season when O'Gara received those substantial offers from Stade Francais in his prime several seasons ago. I doubt even Larkham, McCaw, George Smith would have been offered 800k a season in France in say 2005. You can't compare today's Rugby money to what was on offer 7 to 10 years ago at least.
He was offered somewhere in the region of €400,000,this was at a time when BoD was on €250,000 from the IRFU.
Stade also went after PoC and DoC at around the same time,threw silly numbers at them.
Cheers MVP, that sounds about right. 400k was silly money at the time, which was my point.
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14936
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Hellraiser »

So Far So Good On The Injury Front.

15 January 2013, 12:14 pm
By The Editor

The good news to emerge from the weekend win over Edinburgh is that besides the normal bumps and bruises there are no serious injury concerns from the Munster camp.

Mike Sherry who didn't get through the warm-up in Murrayfield hasn't been ruled out of the Racing game at this stage and nor has Stephen Archer. Both will be assessed later in the week, Archer possibly the greater concern at the minute.

News on Niall Ronan and Barry O'Mahony is that they won't resume training for a few weeks yet and the same applies to Sean Scanlon and Luke O'Dea though Johne Murphy will be back in training tomorrow and is expected to be in contention for action at the weekend.

Good news on Scanlon. Heard a while back that he might be forced to retire. Even if Archer is fit I'd prefer see Ryan kept on the bench.
User avatar
redrebel
Posts: 2466
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Pub

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by redrebel »

Hellraiser wrote:
So Far So Good On The Injury Front.

15 January 2013, 12:14 pm
By The Editor

The good news to emerge from the weekend win over Edinburgh is that besides the normal bumps and bruises there are no serious injury concerns from the Munster camp.

Mike Sherry who didn't get through the warm-up in Murrayfield hasn't been ruled out of the Racing game at this stage and nor has Stephen Archer. Both will be assessed later in the week, Archer possibly the greater concern at the minute.

News on Niall Ronan and Barry O'Mahony is that they won't resume training for a few weeks yet and the same applies to Sean Scanlon and Luke O'Dea though Johne Murphy will be back in training tomorrow and is expected to be in contention for action at the weekend.

Good news on Scanlon.
Heard a while back that he might be forced to retire. Even if Archer is fit I'd prefer see Ryan kept on the bench.
:thumbup:
User avatar
grimoald
Posts: 5033
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by grimoald »

soyhmf wrote:Cheers MVP, that sounds about right. 400k was silly money at the time, which was my point.
BiV meant bigger offers from France, not bigger offers than the one Sexton has received.
soyhmf
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by soyhmf »

grimoald wrote:
soyhmf wrote:Cheers MVP, that sounds about right. 400k was silly money at the time, which was my point.
BiV meant bigger offers from France, not bigger offers than the one Sexton has received.
Oh, sorry BiV...misunderstood you.
User avatar
Luckycharmer
Posts: 9701
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Luckycharmer »

LeinsterLion wrote:
This is not to be vindictive toward O’Sullivan who, assuredly, still has something to offer the game. It is merely to redress the balance. Whether or not Connacht should have let bygones be bygones, it is undeniably the case that O’Sullivan would not have been an entirely popular choice within Connacht as their next head coach.
Given there's not a single player who would have any ties to 96, presumably this refers to the hierarchy. Who, frankly, can get f**ked when it comes to something like this. Other reasons may be valid, this isn't.
Conor Mcguinness would have been a Connacht player back in 1996 and he was one of the 4 people choosing.
User avatar
waguser
Posts: 12986
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by waguser »

I was living abroad when that stuff happened

Eddie can have few complaints
User avatar
Porterbelly1
Posts: 8421
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Porterbelly1 »

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/15666.php

Troy Nathan released by Glasgow. Strange they'd release him mid season, maybe he's having a similar influence he had at Connacht
User avatar
danthefan
Posts: 23602
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by danthefan »

Luckycharmer wrote:
LeinsterLion wrote:
This is not to be vindictive toward O’Sullivan who, assuredly, still has something to offer the game. It is merely to redress the balance. Whether or not Connacht should have let bygones be bygones, it is undeniably the case that O’Sullivan would not have been an entirely popular choice within Connacht as their next head coach.
Given there's not a single player who would have any ties to 96, presumably this refers to the hierarchy. Who, frankly, can get f**ked when it comes to something like this. Other reasons may be valid, this isn't.
Conor Mcguinness would have been a Connacht player back in 1996 and he was one of the 4 people choosing.
Thornley was vindictiveness personified toward EOS back in 2007. Laid every bit of blame going on EOS. Stark contrast with his Kidinme fluffing, couldn't tell you how many times we've read "this isn't Kidney's fault", most often without any sort of explanation.
User avatar
thekingsnotdead
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:47 pm
Location: The Greatest Show on Earth

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by thekingsnotdead »

Munster will score more tries with ROG banned. Deccie will shit a brick though, he might have to engage his brain and make a choice about back up fly halves
Cossax
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Cossax »

Uncle Fester wrote:No poaching from Tipp or Kerry. Stand on your own two feet Limerick. Fixed your team.
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Risteard wrote:Just back from Edinburgh.

We telling Cork to piss off?
Yup,good times

Team will be

Kilcoyne
Sherry
Cotter
A.N.Other
PoC
A.N.Other
A.N.Other
A.N.Other
Murray
A.N.Other
A.N.Other
A.N.Other
Earls
A.N.Other
O Shea(Greg the lad).
Good luck against...

Condon
Fogs (okay we're hard up here)
Archer
DOC
Holland (with Nagle as backup)
DOC2.0
POM
Coughlan
Stringer
ROG
Scanlon
Dineen
Deasy
Zebo
Hurley
Scanlon is from Limerick.

Stick Barry O'Mahoney in the backrow and Ronan O'Mahoney in the backline and we have a back 3 and someone in the backrow.
User avatar
SASP
Posts: 8985
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 pm
Location: Donegal

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by SASP »

Tom Hayes in the 2nd row with POC.
:D
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 16075
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by anonymous_joe »

Lads, just read Thornley's column on EOS today.

If Eddie is persona non grata in IRFU circles for leaving Connacht in the lurch prior to getting the Ireland gig, why isn't Declan Kidney in the same boat for f**king over Leinster?

Are they that moronic, or is Thornley spinning that hard?
User avatar
thekingsnotdead
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:47 pm
Location: The Greatest Show on Earth

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by thekingsnotdead »

anonymous_joe wrote:Lads, just read Thornley's column on EOS today.

If Eddie is persona non grata in IRFU circles for leaving Connacht in the lurch prior to getting the Ireland gig, why isn't Declan Kidney in the same boat for f**king over Leinster?

Are they that moronic, or is Thornley spinning that hard?
Both are from Cork, but only one of them has connections with Cork-based rugby clubs.
Brian9848
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Brian9848 »

Thornley choosing to stroke the back of the hand that is feeding him.

He is getting fed these stories. I know he doesn't dig anything up.

Many years ago, a friend playing poker with him one night told Thornley that his own club team having difficulty recruiting players and had gone from 10 to about three teams. It was indicative of how the clubs were struggling. Thornley repeated practically everything in a column two days later.
Brian9848
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Brian9848 »

On the subject of Sexton, the marginal tax rate for any high earner in France will make the offer much less attractive in financial terms. But if Sexton wants to go, his offer shouldn't be chased. He will be bashed and overplayed in France. Moreover, Madigan and others will have a tilt at the shirt here.

Like NZ, one of the few forms of leverage the IRFU have is the green shirt. You cannot play for the ABs unless you are in their domestics game.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17316
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Gavin Duffy »

When is the Irish squad due to be announced?
Brian9848
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Brian9848 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:When is the Irish squad due to be announced?
Thursday, at noon.
User avatar
Wolfe Tone
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ireland

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Wolfe Tone »

Madigan should be on the bench for the 6 nations. No other 10 offers anywhere near the (positive) impact he does in the last 15 mins if called on.
User avatar
binge90
Posts: 7798
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A Glass Cage Of Emotion

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by binge90 »

Wolfe Tone wrote:Madigan should be on the bench for the 6 nations. No other 10 offers anywhere near the (positive) impact he does in the last 15 mins if called on.
Big words from The Tone.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17316
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Gavin Duffy »

binge90 wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:Madigan should be on the bench for the 6 nations. No other 10 offers anywhere near the (positive) impact he does in the last 15 mins if called on.
Big words from The Tone.
Nordie bait.
User avatar
Conspicuous
Posts: 7932
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Conspicuous »

Wolfe Tone wrote:Madigan should be on the bench for the 6 nations. No other 10 offers anywhere near the (positive) impact he does in the last 15 mins if called on.

On form its a no brainer. With Jackson suffering a serious dip and ROG finished it should be

10. J Sex
22. The Dog
User avatar
SASP
Posts: 8985
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 pm
Location: Donegal

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by SASP »

Conspicuous wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:Madigan should be on the bench for the 6 nations. No other 10 offers anywhere near the (positive) impact he does in the last 15 mins if called on.

On form its a no brainer. With Jackson suffering a serious dip and ROG finished it should be

10. J Sex
22. The Dog
Gigantic Willie/Earl bait
User avatar
Despot
Posts: 2584
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Despot »

It will be Paddy Wallace!!!
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14936
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Hellraiser »

Jackson's problem with regards to Ireland selection is that Pienaar takes the kick when both are on the field.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 44320
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by camroc1 »

You and I both now that if Keatley plays on Sunday, and Munster score 4 tries, he will be at least benching.

Image
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14936
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Hellraiser »

So? He can actually run a backline and has been kicking at around 85-90% this season. Any of Madigan, Jackson or Keatley is preferable to ROG.
User avatar
Tony McGahan
Posts: 3174
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm
Location: Back in Limerick, thank fudge

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Tony McGahan »

camroc1 wrote:You and I both now that if Keatley plays on Sunday, and Munster score 4 tries, he will be at least benching.

Image
ROG will be back in time cammy, no need to worry :thumbup:
User avatar
DiscoHips D'Arcy
Posts: 12380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Belfast

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Jackson should be left with ulster during the 6N. I have no issue with either keatley or madigan getting the bench spot but Jackson needs to get his form back with ulster and get over this niggle.

Ulster players who should be in the extended squad are

Best, Court, Henderson, Henry, Marshall???(unsure tbh), cave (unsure again), Trimble and Gilroy

Realistically 6 I think.
Post Reply