The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
MunsterMan!!!!!

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

earl the beaver wrote:For all the talk of Court's lack of dynamism he is a workhorse and a much better carrier than he's given credit for, he was in double figures for tackles made at the weekend which as a prop is great going.

As for Gilroy vs Zebo, Gilroy was more impressive when they lined up together for Ireland A and when they played against each other in the HEC QF, Zebo got the nod because of where he was from, as for Ulster fans being happy with Gilroy on the bench, well yes we are and why wouldn't we be? we're lucky enough to have two wingers who are better than him for us and who are, imo, the two best available to Ireland, we have the luxury of having a quality player on the bench. The difference between Ulster and Ireland of course is that Ulster create opportunities and patterns that Trimble can run off and make breaks, for Ireland we don't create as much and therefore someone who is more likely to create something on their own out of nothing is more valuable to the side.

If you want to use a bullshit argument like that you could also say that Zebo is far more use to playing in a team that depend on him to create chance.

Look Zebo is in better form than him atm, and is ahead of him in my book. Gilroy should have been picked to go to NZ, yes. Stop making up crazy arguments to suggest otherwise.

On Court vs. Kilcoyne. I think with Healy obviously starting, Court is better maybe on the bench in case the scrum goes to shit, he is the better scrummager of all three. Of course he could play either one (Kilcoyne or court) depending on the opposition. I would be happy with either on the bench as all three of our LHs are in great form.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Sean Henry from Munster to Connacht
Sean Henry to come to Connacht

Connacht Rugby is delighted to announce that Sean Henry has signed a two-year contract with the province. The Sligo-born hooker has been with Munster Rugby for the last three years. Henry represented Connacht at Youths and U20 level before moving to Limerick. His performance in the number two jersey earned him a place in the Munster Rugby Academy in 2010.

He has impressed at British & Irish Cup level and was the starting hooker in the 2010 B&I Cup Final. He was also a member of the squad that captured the B&I Cup title last season. He earned his sixth cap for Munster during the 2013 opener earlier this month against Cardiff Blues.

Speaking on the recent signing, Connacht Rugby CEO Tom Sears said:

“We are delighted to have been able to bring Sean back to his home province and have no doubt he will bring real quality to our squad and increase the competition for a place at hooker. He was very highly regarded at Munster and it is great news that he sees his future with Connacht.”
http://www.connachtrugby.ie/20130122831 ... o-connacht

So Rael or Scannell to step up
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:For all the talk of Court's lack of dynamism he is a workhorse and a much better carrier than he's given credit for, he was in double figures for tackles made at the weekend which as a prop is great going.

As for Gilroy vs Zebo, Gilroy was more impressive when they lined up together for Ireland A and when they played against each other in the HEC QF, Zebo got the nod because of where he was from, as for Ulster fans being happy with Gilroy on the bench, well yes we are and why wouldn't we be? we're lucky enough to have two wingers who are better than him for us and who are, imo, the two best available to Ireland, we have the luxury of having a quality player on the bench. The difference between Ulster and Ireland of course is that Ulster create opportunities and patterns that Trimble can run off and make breaks, for Ireland we don't create as much and therefore someone who is more likely to create something on their own out of nothing is more valuable to the side.

If you want to use a bullshit argument like that you could also say that Zebo is far more use to playing in a team that depend on him to create chance.

Look Zebo is in better form than him atm, and is ahead of him in my book. Gilroy should have been picked to go to NZ, yes. Stop making up crazy arguments to suggest otherwise.

On Court vs. Kilcoyne. I think with Healy obviously starting, Court is better maybe on the bench in case the scrum goes to shit, he is the better scrummager of all three. Of course he could play either one (Kilcoyne or court) depending on the opposition. I would be happy with either on the bench as all three of our LHs are in great form.
The scrum is likely to face a stiffer examination from England and France, so I'd have Court on the bench there, but bring Kilcoyne in for Scotland and Italy - and start one of those games. Also like to get a start for Bent/Fitzpatrick in the other Scotland/Italy match.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

When did McFadden get injured ?
And I presume the performance psychologist is for analysing Kidneys performance rather than the players.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Very interesting with Gilroy not in the A squad. Looks good to start although another explanation, which wouldn't be beyond Kidney given his lack of love of Gilroy in the past, is that Trimble and Fitz are in a final trial for the test side.

I presume Zebo will play 14 if him and Gilroy start?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

CM11 wrote:Very interesting with Gilroy not in the A squad. Looks good to start although another explanation, which wouldn't be beyond Kidney given his lack of love of Gilroy in the past, is that Trimble and Fitz are in a final trial for the test side.

I presume Zebo will play 14 if him and Gilroy start?
Fitz isn't going to start imo.

As for the bolded bit, if Keet is in line to start on the wing, how he couldn't be involved in some sort of final trial would be baffling.

I don't really know what Trimble is doing there other than he's not in line to start against Wales.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Yer Man wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

The scrum is likely to face a stiffer examination from England and France, so I'd have Court on the bench there, but bring Kilcoyne in for Scotland and Italy - and start one of those games. Also like to get a start for Bent/Fitzpatrick in the other Scotland/Italy match.

That would my thinking as well, give the tougher games to the more experienced Court, Kilcoyne is still very much a newbie so give me Italy and Scotland.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

tazman77 wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:Jaysus Sean Henry is pretty poo. Hopefully we have someone else lined up to compete with Harris Wright
I saw him a few times this season,he wasn't great alright! He struggles at Rabo level.
Think some of that could be fitness. A professional player having a belly & double chin in this era is a disgrace. Hopefully he'll change his mindset with the switch.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Looks like the squad will be similar to the on that played the argies with BOD, kearney and SOB coming in.

Can't see Trimble featuring and if kidney is picking his wingers on the basis of who is most likely to create something from nothing then Zebo/Gilroy is probably his best bet. Of course ROG is retained and DOC too (no issue there except that it will be at hendersons expense)

Judging from that we will have almost a full deck to pick from in the pro12 games. I can see Ulster extending their lead
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

camroc1 wrote:When did McFadden get injured ?
And I presume the performance psychologist is for analysing Kidneys performance rather than the players.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Uncle Fester wrote:
tazman77 wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:Jaysus Sean Henry is pretty poo. Hopefully we have someone else lined up to compete with Harris Wright
I saw him a few times this season,he wasn't great alright! He struggles at Rabo level.
Think some of that could be fitness. A professional player having a belly & double chin in this era is a disgrace. Hopefully he'll change his mindset with the switch.
He was referred to as the Michelin man when he came on against Cardiff in MP.
In three seasons he has managed 6 substitute appearances in that time.He was going nowhere at Munster,plenty better behind him as well.
NineInchNile

Post by NineInchNile »

Uncle Fester wrote:
tazman77 wrote:
A hooker carrying some extra fat isn't too much of a worry. What surprised me was how tiny his arms were; he doesn't at all look like a player who has been involved in a professional setup for 3/4 years at all.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

NineInchNile wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
tazman77 wrote:
A hooker carrying some extra fat isn't too much of a worry. What surprised me was how tiny his arms were; he doesn't at all look like a player who has been involved in a professional setup for 3/4 years at all.
From top to bottom in 15 months.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

NineInchNile wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
tazman77 wrote:
Yep.
overthehillprop

Post by overthehillprop »

Keatley and Archer signed on for two more years.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11436.php
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

I guess your ambition wanes when you aren't getting matches. Henry has a lot of conditioning work to do if he wants to get pine time at least next season.

Is Deasy out the door too?
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:I guess your ambition wanes when you aren't getting matches. Henry has a lot of conditioning work to do if he wants to get pine time at least next season.

Yeah,looking like it.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

I say it's good in the long run for Munster to move the players who are in their mid 20s on as they need to play regular Rugby. More spaces will be available to bring younger players through.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

overthehillprop wrote:Keatley and Archer signed on for two more years.

With Hanrahan also signed, that's as clear a signal as we're going to get that ROG is out the door.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Uncle Fester wrote:

With Hanrahan also signed, that's as clear a signal as we're going to get that ROG is out the door.
No its not. Thats 2 OH's signed up and Deasy out the door.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Uncle Fester wrote:

:o :o
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

The RADGE contratc saga may play out for a while yet, but just saying.......

Keatley and JJ cover the first XXIII

Holland and Sweetnam cover the B&I team, and if you are stuck with injuries there pull someone like Willie Staunton or Jamie Gavin up to the A team.

Just saying like.
nabanoba

Post by nabanoba »

I will be very annoyed if Henderson isn't in Ireland's match day 22. He deserves to be their, on form, potential, current ability, and any other way you want to look at it.

Also if POM starts ahead of Henry I'll be manning the Kidney out banners again.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

tazman77 wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

No its not. Thats 2 OH's signed up and Deasy out the door.
Exactly as you need at least 3 in a squad. The one player I felt sorry for was Warwick he really wanted to stay and he provided utility options at fullback and flyhalf, plus goalkicking. Ready the reports from French posters on here he has struggled a fair bit at Stade Francais. Then there would have been no need to keep say Johne Murphy on and not have to sign players like Laulala and Tuitupou.
SASP

Post by SASP »

As much as I love NWJMB he is still just 20 and played alot of rugby in two very attritional positions.

The kid could maybe do with being carefully managed.
Last edited by SASP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

tazman77 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:I guess your ambition wanes when you aren't getting matches. Henry has a lot of conditioning work to do if he wants to get pine time at least next season.

Yeah,looking like it.
To be fair to Henry his level does seem to be the B&I. He kept Fogarty out of the A team all last season, has captained it for most of this season and seems ok at that standard.

I certainly hope Connacht have an auld war horse lined up too. Given that Reyneke is out the door, and Flavin.... MEH
SASP

Post by SASP »

Banana Man wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Yeah,looking like it.
To be fair to Henry his level does seem to be the B&I. He kept Fogarty out of the A team all last season, has captained it for most of this season and seems ok at that standard.

I certainly hope Connacht have an auld war horse lined up too. Given that Reyneke is out the door, and Flavin.... MEH
Andy Kyriacou?
They've signed worse.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Banana Man wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Yeah,looking like it.

If Deasy and Nagle go will it be to England or Connacht? That will be interesting. Barnes and Dineen to stay or go?

Connacht do need depth in the pack so Henry may get time due to their injury problems.
DOB

Post by DOB »

SASP wrote:As much as I love NWJMB he is still just 20 and played alot of rugby in two very attritional positions.

The kid could maybe do with being carefully managed.
Nothing wrong with him benching for a few 6N games and getting maybe slightly more than 80 minutes of rugby over the course of the competition (and being free to jump in on a couple of Pro12 games along the way too).
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Uncle Fester wrote:
NineInchNile wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
tazman77 wrote:
Yep.
He looks like all other Munster people to me,what do ye do for a police lineup?
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Yeah,looking like it.

If Deasy and Nagle go will it be to England or Connacht? That will be interesting. Barnes and Dineen to stay or go?

Connacht do need depth in the pack so Henry may get time due to their injury problems.
Barnes certainly looks out of favour.I'd be dissapointed if Dineen was let go.

Deasy is rumoured to be going into D2 in France
Nagle is having a strop with Frankie and no one knows what he is up to.
soyhmf

Post by soyhmf »

tazman77 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Yeah,looking like it.

Nagle not getting enough man of the match awards?
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

I would have thought Deasy would be an option for Connacht. Porterbelly was talking about Nikora possibly leaving, then you have Parks who is old and had a few injuries, Jarvis. I guess it's difficult for Lam to have an input at the moment with recruitment.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

tazman77 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Yeah,looking like it.

Deasy wouldn't be a good signing for Connacht, wouldn't offer much really. Would prefer to see one of our own younger lads come through

Henry is a nothing signing, hopefully as a replacement for Flavin as 3rd choice and backup. Would have much prefered to see us sign Rael or Scannell, or even throw a few quid at Varley. Badly need a good hooker to compete with Harris Wright. Cronin isn't going to come but need someone of that quality, probably NIQ.

Shit or get off the pot time for Nagle. If he decided to stay at Munster then I dare say he's not going to make it.
DOB

Post by DOB »

He looks like all other Munster people to me,what do ye do for a police lineup?
I saw these 2 pics;
tazman77 wrote:Image
and thought it was Keet and the Bull at first until I read the text above them.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

I say Barnes and Dineen have to look at moving. Munster have had NIQs at 13 and with Barnes also the rise of O'Dea is another factor. O'Dea has taken over from where Barnes was in the squad and has more dimensions to his game. Barnes is a bit too one dimensional as he doesn't really have a step and isn't strong in contact.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:I would have thought Deasy would be an option for Connacht. Porterbelly was talking about Nikora possibly leaving, then you have Parks who is old and had a few injuries, Jarvis. I guess it's difficult for Lam to have an input at the moment with recruitment.
No one knows with Deasy,saw him last Friday night playing the A's,he had a good second half.He just struggles with consistency,thats his issue.If he had a run of games somewhere it would stand to him.

Fog's is enjoying life in France now,this time last year he had fallen behind Sean Henry for the Munster A's,its amazing what a change of scene does.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

tazman77 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:I would have thought Deasy would be an option for Connacht. Porterbelly was talking about Nikora possibly leaving, then you have Parks who is old and had a few injuries, Jarvis. I guess it's difficult for Lam to have an input at the moment with recruitment.
No one knows with Deasy,saw him last Friday night playing the A's,he had a good second half.He just struggles with consistency,thats his issue.If he had a run of games somewhere it would stand to him.

Fog's is enjoying life in France now,this time last year he had fallen behind Sean Henry for the Munster A's,its amazing what a change of scene does.
Henry is a pudden though. Badly needs a bit of conditioning. I couldn't see him lasting beyond 40 minutes of a Rabo game in his current ilk. Don't know how he has been let away with it for this long
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Porterbelly1 wrote: Deasy wouldn't be a good signing for Connacht, wouldn't offer much really. Would prefer to see one of our own younger lads come through

Henry is a nothing signing, hopefully as a replacement for Flavin as 3rd choice and backup. Would have much prefered to see us sign Rael or Scannell, or even throw a few quid at Varley. Badly need a good hooker to compete with Harris Wright. Cronin isn't going to come but need someone of that quality, probably NIQ.

Shit or get off the pot time for Nagle. If he decided to stay at Munster then I dare say he's not going to make it.
I don't think Nagle will stay,nows the time for him to jump.

Henry is no great shakes,but you are aware of the two coming through(going nowhere BTW!). Munster have a lot of options at 2.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Porterbelly1 wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Henry is a pudden though. Badly needs a bit of conditioning. I couldn't see him lasting beyond 40 minutes of a Rabo game in his current ilk. Don't know how he has been let away with it for this long
He was very fit last season.Everyone reckons he ate too much turkey at Christmas this season.