All things Rugby
SASP

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by SASP »

CM11 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
danthefan wrote:Think I heard Adam Byrne is injured too but that's not concrete.
The Leinster full back factory in full flow. Watched a bit of the Terenure and Belevdere game last night, that lad Billy Dardis (sp) has a bit about him too.
Heard Tony Ward mention him the other day, said he was one of the best schoolboys he's seen.
Only watched the first half, but any time he got the ball he was making yards at ease.

The commentator said too that he is already professionaly conditioned, he looked massive.
If memory serves he didn't look far off being professionally conditioned last season.

I wonder are we freeing up a full contract for him, he sounds as good a prospect as Fitz and we had to offer him a full one to avoid Munster getting their hands on him.
Looks to have a bit about him alright

feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Maybe he is referring to Kearney's speech about players showing more pride for their province then the national team?
Oh I know that but surely this time round such a speech isn't really warranted. The provinces haven't exactly being setting the world alight.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

SASP wrote:Seems like I've arrived in time for tae & tae cakes

:thumbup:
Can see why you're a prop.
thekingsnotdead

Post by thekingsnotdead »

nah
Last edited by thekingsnotdead on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Nolanator wrote:
SASP wrote:Seems like I've arrived in time for tae & tae cakes

:thumbup:
Can see why you're a prop.
:lol:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Stop.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

TKIND
We've been totally ignoring the bore and now you go ruin it and give him attention.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

I'll be surprised if we get anything better than parity in the tight.... Our line out is bang average and they'll have the better scrum with James and Jones...

Two fairly shithouse coaches will probably cancel eachother out and I fully expect a Wales win to be honest.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

TheBouncer wrote:I'll be surprised if we get anything better than parity in the tight.... Our line out is bang average and they'll have the better scrum with James and Jones...

Two fairly shithouse coaches will probably cancel eachother out and I fully expect a Wales win to be honest.

I think we should have an advantage in the lineout, and I think we should target theirs. I wouldn't say they have a big advantage in the scrum, I would be surprised if they get much out of it.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:I'll be surprised if we get anything better than parity in the tight.... Our line out is bang average and they'll have the better scrum with James and Jones...

I think we should have an advantage in the lineout, and I think we should target theirs. I wouldn't say they have a big advantage in the scrum, I would be surprised if they get much out of it.
I think you're wrong on both counts. I think their starting pack will be good enough to give them an edge and their backline will do damage if they're anywhere even NEAR parity up front. I expect them to be AT LEAST at that point.

Where it might get interesting is when the benches come into play.
Last edited by redderneck on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

If Ross isn't fully fit, we are going to be in for a very long Saturday afternoon.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Uncle Fester wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

If Ross isn't fully fit, we are going to be in for a very long Saturday afternoon.

Is there an issue with him? I hadn't heard.

I had heard that Jones, isn't in the best of fitness recently for the Os
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

The Welsh are in full-on ochón, ochón mode for the past month or so. They'd make Peig Sayers look like a toddler amped up on Sunny D.

Never a good thing, the Welsh coming in under the radar.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Ross seemed to struggle with his fitness during the AI's and I'm worried that he's already on the downward slope for top international level.

Wouldn't pay any attention to the guff coming out of Wales. Some years, you'd swear they were fielding a team of paraplegics but they always turn up on the day in fine fettle.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

From someone who watched training today.

DOC partnered Ryan in scrummaging.

Back 3 lined out as Kearney,Zebo,Earls.

Backrow lined out together as POM,SOB and Heaslip.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

tazman77 wrote:From someone who watched training today.

:(

I knew he just would not possibly leave Keet out of the side. f**king ridiculous selection.
Last edited by danthefan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Go fudge yourself Deccie.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Both Earls and POM would be very lucky boys to make it.

Lineout should be even enough. Scrums, they'll have for as long as Jones is on - or the duration if Ross doesn't last it. Their backrow, even sans Lydiate is better.

Not happy.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

danthefan

Post by danthefan »

redderneck wrote:Both Earls and POM would be very lucky boys to make it.

Lineout should be even enough. Scrums, they'll have for as long as Jones is on - or the duration if Ross doesn't last it. Their backrow, even sans Lydiate is better.

Not happy.
They aren't lucky at all, their selection was never, ever in doubt.
CambridgeFergal

Post by CambridgeFergal »

danthefan wrote:

I knew he just would not possibly leave Keet out of the side. f**king ridiculous selection.
Not half as ridiculous as picking POM instead of Henry. And I say that as a Munsterman. Backrow should be SOB 6, Henry 7 and Heaslip IMO.
Earls should be on the bench, as he can cover several positions, and Zebo/Gilroy ought to be the wings.
What's the mooted centre pairing? Darcy/BOD?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Not half as ridiculous as picking POM instead of Henry. And I say that as a Munsterman. Backrow should be SOB 6, Henry 7 and Heaslip IMO.
Earls should be on the bench, as he can cover several positions, and Zebo/Gilroy ought to be the wings.

Yup. This.

FFS if true...
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

redderneck wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Yup. This.

FFS if true...
Its only Monday,but thats what was seen lads,The rest if correct,we could pick ourselves
Kearney
Earls
BOD
D'arcy
Zebo
Sexton
Murray

Healy
Best
Ross
DOC
Ryan
POM
SOB
Heaslip
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Disappointing if true.

Kidinme out.

Only 1 Ulster player in the starting XV, mad really. Down to foreigners and injuries I guess.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Kidney really hates Ulster.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

danthefan wrote:Disappointing if true.

Kidinme out.

Only 1 Ulster player in the starting XV, mad really. Down to foreigners and injuries I guess.
All our imports apart from Afoa and Payne have been absent for large parts of the season.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Earls or Gilroy I'm not bothered with, I'd pick Gilroy for what it's worth, but Henry is out of sight as the form 7 in Ireland this year. It's not even close.

Then again, the team has not been picked yet so need to get ahead of ourselves.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

ZappaMan wrote:Earls or Gilroy I'm not bothered with, I'd pick Gilroy for what it's worth, but Henry is out of sight as the form 7 in Ireland this year. It's not even close.

Absolutely.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Some posters on UAFC are saying that an Ulster player basically told Kidney to fudge off after he invited them to train this week as a Welsh defender.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

ZappaMan wrote:Earls or Gilroy I'm not bothered with, I'd pick Gilroy for what it's worth, but Henry is out of sight as the form 7 in Ireland this year. It's not even close.

I am really bothered by Earls on the wing, him having not played there since probably last summer, with other guys having played well there in the interim. It's a complete joke.

Henry is never going to get a fair shot under Kidinme.
redrebel

Post by redrebel »

Willie Falloon wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Kidney really hates Ulster.
With good reason :proud:
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Willie Falloon wrote:Some posters on UAFC are saying that an Ulster player basically told Kidney to fudge off after he invited them to train this week as a Welsh defender.
Classy stuff

Lads I wouldn't be getting carried away by training selections on a Monday before the match. They're usually rotated at this stage but if it's still that team on Wednesday I'd be worried. I've been saying for weeks that Earls would start this match and Gilroy has made it easy for Kidney. Let's be honest what has he done since the AI's? I'll be majorly pissed if Henry doesn't play though, his defensive work is immense compared to POM. DOC has had a fine season and has earned his place if selected
etherman

Post by etherman »

Willie Falloon wrote:Some posters on UAFC are saying that an Ulster player basically told Kidney to fudge off after he invited them to train this week as a Welsh defender.
Trimble? Looking practise against a big physical wing in prep for North/Cuthbert.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Well that's a bit stupid.

And as Zappa has said,we could be getting ahead of ourselves,this is all down to what 1 person saw and it could have just been a run out for when we empty the bench.

If that's the team I'd be disappointed that Henry isn't starting but other than that it's not a bad side considering injuries.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Conspicuous wrote:
Classy stuff

Lads I wouldn't be getting carried away by training selections on a Monday before the match. They're usually rotated at this stage but if it's still that team on Wednesday I'd be worried. I've been saying for weeks that Earls would start this match and Gilroy has made it easy for Kidney. Let's be honest what has he done since the AI's? I'll be majorly pissed if Henry doesn't play though, his defensive work is immense compared to POM. DOC has had a fine season and has earned his place if selected
He has done as much as Earls.
etherman

Post by etherman »

Conspicuous wrote:
Classy stuff

Does he have to destroy a team single handedly every time in order to be picked? :?
Last edited by etherman on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
etherman

Post by etherman »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:

And as Zappa has said,we could be getting ahead of ourselves,this is all down to what 1 person saw and it could have just been a run out for when we empty the bench.

If that's the team I'd be disappointed that Henry isn't starting but other than that it's not a bad side considering injuries.
Not really if it was Trimble for example. "I know you've 50 caps and all, but even though im not picking you but I'd like to see you hold some tackle bags rather than train with your province..."
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Sounds a tad hysterical to me.

If it is true (big if) then whoever it was will never wear a green jersey again, regardless of who coaches the Irish set-up.

And that would be entirely the right thing.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

etherman wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:

Not really if it was Trimble for example. "I know you've 50 caps and all, but even though im not picking you but I'd like to see you hold some tackle bags rather than train with your province..."
So he should get the hump and give Kidney a reason not to pick him again,If it's Trimble he's not in a situation where he has to be picked,big Mal did something similar and paid a hefty price for it.
etherman

Post by etherman »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
etherman wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:

So he should get the hump and give Kidney a reason not to pick him again,If it's Trimble he's not in a situation where he has to be picked,big Mal did something similar and paid a hefty price for it.
You're maybe taking the fudge off thing a bit literally.