The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
grimoald

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by grimoald »

On the Earls passing front, he's the only one of Ireland's back three players who actually attempts to pass.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

So the Leinster players not happy with the IRFU over Sexton leaving :
The Irish Times - Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Kearney: Sexton didn't want to leave and his transfer could open the floodgates

Rob Kearney during the Ireland rugby squad's training session at Carton House, yesterday. photograph: lorraine o'sullivan/inpho
In this section »
Henshaw absence just one of the worries facing coach Ruddock
JOHNNY WATTERSON

Jonathan Sexton didn’t want to leave Dublin. Nor did he want to go to France. Yesterday Ireland team-mate Rob Kearney told a tale of IRFU pragmatism scrummaging down with a 27-year-old player about to get married and his need for financial security.

The answer to the €750,000 question was that both sides wished to find a meeting point where they could shake hands.

There was some desperation on Sexton’s side and possibly too within the IRFU. But in this modern tale of professional rugby, the market, as it often does, ruled and willingness on both sides was the casualty.

“Myself and Jonny have played a long time now,” explained Kearney. “We started off about 14, 15-years-old, two young schoolboys. So we’ve been very close and we have been talking about it. He was upset by the whole thing.

“There’s no point in lying about it. He was upset.

“I think Jonny will tell you that he probably wanted to stay. So it’s unfortunate that . . . Whatever way the negotiations went on I think he probably wanted to agree and stay and play his rugby in Ireland.

“But you can’t always get what you want.

“He’s getting married this summer, a lovely girl, so it’s a new start in life for him and I think he’s excited by that and I think he understands he has to jump head first into it.

Professional sport

“So, yeah, that’s professional sport, that’s what happens. I think we’ve been lucky throughout the years. It’s only now it has happened. It will test the waters.”

The peripheral damage is that behind the distraction is Declan Kidney’s plan for Ireland’s opening game against Wales and to underplay that devalues the intensity of focus that goes into preparation for a Test match.

It is also compounded by Kearney’s current position of being deep in negotiations over his own contract.

Mick Kearney, the Ireland team manager said he and Declan Kidney would be meeting with the National Team Review Group, a sub-committee of the IRFU, to discuss the poor timing of players’ contract negotiations, which this year have appeared as the perfect storm.

“You never like using the word selfish but you have to look out for yourself most of the time,” added the Ireland fullback. “You have got to think, make decisions that are best for you. That might not always mean financially. Although you do have to make decisions based on what you feel will be the best for you down the line. I think guys will always be making decisions based on that.

“I was always very keen to get it (contract) sorted before the competition. It is sort of a difficult place to be in when you are trying to determine your future and play the biggest competition of the year. It’s probably not ideal. They (the talks) always fall around this time.

Make it better

“You have to make it better. Players don’t really want to get involved in these discussions during the Six Nations, when they shouldn’t really be happening. I think how players feel, their state of mind going on to the field has to be their priority. But it has been like that for years. I can’t see it changing a huge amount for the future.”

Chaired by Martin O’Sullivan and with Tom Grace, Pat Whelan, Eddie Wigglesworth and Philip Browne sitting in, the review group meets regularly with the manager and the coach. They hold discussions every week of the Six Nations Championship and also during the November international series and will hold a meeting this week where the issue of player contracts will be raised.

“Myself and Declan will be sitting down with them this week,” said manager Kearney. “It is one thing we will bring up. It is really important that players go into a Six Nations prepared in the best possible manner, mentally, physically, emotionally.

“If there is some bit of a drag on them emotionally in terms of a contract that is something that needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

“As Rob says, going in the week before your major tournament for the year with a worry hanging over your contract, it is not ideal and it is certainly something that needs to be worked on in the future.”

Apparent insecurity

Kearney’s apparent insecurity is no different from that of any other player. Having played just two and a half matches since his back injury, the shop window of the Six Nations is an important tool and while it can cut both ways, he’s sensitive to the need to demonstrate that he is back to where he once was as one of the best fullbacks in world rugby.

Opportunity for change is available to him. But Leinster is in his bones. Sexton’s departure was more a familial wrench than a business arrangement and Kearney feels a similar loyalty. In one sense that is a stunning IRFU success.

“Of course, you think about it,” he said of leaving. “The last time there was options. If I went looking this time I’m sure there would be options.

“But when you are with a club . . . you’ve grown up there . . . you enjoy playing with your colleagues and friends. You’re competitive and you are winning trophies in Europe, it’s difficult to justify why you would want to leave.

“So yeah, the thought has always been there but I’ve never really had any reason for wanting to leave.”
CM11

Post by CM11 »

grimoald wrote:On the Earls passing front, he's the only one of Ireland's back three players who actually attempts to pass.
What players are you including there? And what level?

McFadden's about the only player that's played recently who never passes.

And, frankly, I'd prefer Earls to not pass given how well he does it.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

CM11 wrote:
grimoald wrote:On the Earls passing front, he's the only one of Ireland's back three players who actually attempts to pass.

Aye, but instead of passing he tries those idiotic grubbers, 9 times out of 10 he leads to a turnover. :x
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Sometimes I love the way folk here whip themselves into a frenzy over a training team well before the actual team is named.
Henry is still in pole position to start at 7.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-unio ... um=twitter
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Did I hear on the news this morning that the team is going to be announced today?
Despot

Post by Despot »

CM11 wrote:Did I hear on the news this morning that the team is going to be announced today?

1pm
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Despot wrote:
CM11 wrote:Did I hear on the news this morning that the team is going to be announced today?

1pm
Shouldn't be any issues getting to a 1000 pages on this thread before the Welsh KO then!
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Uncle Fester wrote:Sometimes I love the way folk here whip themselves into a frenzy over a training team well before the actual team is named.
According to a BBC NI journalist?

Am sure if I go to the RTE website some eejit will be calling for Earls and POM to start, usually Quinlan or Costello.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Any leaks? I wonder who Thornley had in camp that's now dried up.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

I'll actually place a tentative single toe on the anti-Kidney bandwagon if Henry isn't picked. He's become my favourite non-Munster Irish player over the last year or so. Seems to be a good, grounded bloke, too.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Willie Falloon wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:Sometimes I love the way folk here whip themselves into a frenzy over a training team well before the actual team is named.

Am sure if I go to the RTE website some eejit will be calling for Earls and POM to start, usually Quinlan or Costello.
As in Victor Costello? Who does he write for?
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Willie Falloon wrote:

Yes because what would former internationals Quinlan or Costello know.
David Holwell

Post by David Holwell »

According to WoC Conor George has indicated that it's Gilroy + Zebo on the wings and POM in the backrow ahead of Henry
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

David Holwell wrote:According to WoC Conor George has indicated that it's Gilroy + Zebo on the wings and POM in the backrow ahead of Henry
It would cost us the game but I would quite like Conor George to be picked at loose-head to spend the afternoon scrummaging opposite Adam Jones.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Willie Falloon wrote:

Sorry to disappoint:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-natio ... ace-wales/

Although, does saying that players named in a squad are in contention for a place constitute calling for them to start?
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

ZappaMan wrote:
David Holwell wrote:According to WoC Conor George has indicated that it's Gilroy + Zebo on the wings and POM in the backrow ahead of Henry
It would cost us the game but I would quite like Conor George to be picked at loose-head to spend the afternoon scrummaging opposite Adam Jones.
I could live with that. One for the team and all that...
SASP

Post by SASP »

Just read in the IT that Connacht made the call to hold Henshaw back from the U20. No surprise we figured they would.

Also
The problem this time is the ideal replacement for Henshaw, fellow Connacht man Darragh Leader, is injured, while promising Leinster winger Adam Byrne recently broke his leg.
And
Belfast Harlequins’ Stuart Olding is also included but Ulster seem poised to take him away.
:uhoh:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 99917.html
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Sounds like it's going to be a torrid 6N for the U20s then.

Pity, I've enjoyed watching them recently.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Willie Falloon wrote:

What was seen yesterday could be the way the backrow etc slots together after a scheduled substitution. Who knows?
soyhmf

Post by soyhmf »

tazman77 wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

What was seen yesterday could be the way the backrow etc slots together after a scheduled substitution. Who knows?
Nice interview by Henry. Very touching him talking about loosing his dad to cancer 6 months before his Ireland debut.
NineInchNile

Post by NineInchNile »

Henry is looking a great player and would be very unlucky to miss out, but starting both Heaslip and Heaslip would make for a very defensive backrow. Both of them essentially fulfill a very similar defensive role for their provinces, and it would leave us with SOB as the carrier in the backrow. I don't think POM is currently as good as any of Henry/SOB/Heaslip, but starting him might allow for the best balance to the backrow.

I'd fully expect hysteria if POM starts though.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Whilst its not good for the U20's im pleased Olding might be pulled as it will mean gametime for Ulster and that he has leapfrogged NOC. If, however we dont see him line out for Ulster i would be very disappointed.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

NineInchNile wrote:Henry is looking a great player and would be very unlucky to miss out, but starting both Heaslip and Heaslip would make for a very defensive backrow. Both of them essentially fulfill a very similar defensive role for their provinces, and it would leave us with SOB as the carrier in the backrow. I don't think POM is currently as good as any of Henry/SOB/Heaslip, but starting him might allow for the best balance to the backrow.

Very defensive?The Welsh defence would not know where to look,he would be everywhere.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

NineInchNile wrote:Henry is looking a great player and would be very unlucky to miss out, but starting both Heaslip and Heaslip would make for a very defensive backrow. Both of them essentially fulfill a very similar defensive role for their provinces, and it would leave us with SOB as the carrier in the backrow. I don't think POM is currently as good as any of Henry/SOB/Heaslip, but starting him might allow for the best balance to the backrow.

What are the IRB laws on clones playing?
SASP

Post by SASP »

feckwanker wrote:

So long as one of them wears the pink boots and the other the yellow I think we'd get away with it
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

SASP wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

So long as one of them wears the pink boots and the other the yellow I think we'd get away with it
Heaslip really needs a slap from Paulie with regards to his public appearance. He might as well pay in a tutu and tickle people with his magic fairy wand.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Cam,

The only bit of your Kearney article that's relevant is;
It is also compounded by Kearney’s current position of being deep in negotiations over his own contract.
If Kearney thinks he's get three quarter mil out of the IRFU, he's f**king dreaming.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

feckwanker wrote:
SASP wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

Heaslip really needs a slap from Paulie with regards to his public appearance. He might as well pay in a tutu and tickle people with his magic fairy wand.
:?

I think that speaks more about the people giving out about heaslip, than Heaslip.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
feckwanker wrote:
SASP wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

:?

I think that speaks more about the people giving out about heaslip, than Heaslip.
:?:
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

RTÉ Sport’s rugby commentator Michael Corcoran tells Tadhg Peavoy how a typical Six Nations matchday pans out for him.

First up for me this year is Wales v Ireland. This will be my 14th Six Nations Championship, and my 65th game; which is very scary.

I normally get up at 07:30, 08:00, and have breakfast at my hotel. I like to get up and have my breakfast before the crowd get down, so I can be nice and chilled and read the newspapers. I also have a last-minute look at my notes, because in terms of preparation for the match, the work is done as such in the previous week.

On matchday, I would usually be at the ground about two-and-a-half hours before the game for the away games, because I’m the person who has to set up all the equipment and I have to bring all the equipment with me. I have to set everything up and make sure everything is working and dial through to the studio. So, this week I’ll arrive at Millennium Stadium around 11:00.

The teams usually arrive around an-hour-and-a-half before the match, so that will be 12 o’clock. From this season on we are doing an arrival interview with a member of the Ireland team or management that gives us last-minute thoughts or tells us about something that happened that morning.

Being there early also gives me a final chance to do a visual check on the players’ faces. Then I have a word with the referee and the touch judges in the tunnel.

The teams are normally confirmed an hour before kick-off, it’s very regulated now. There normally wouldn’t be a change, but sometimes there might an injury doubt about a player and the teams might bring an extra forward or an extra back. If there’s a late change to the bench you need to know, so you double check the team sheets at that point.

I do out match sheets during the week with the starting teams on one sheet and the replacements on another. I’d have tidbits about each player and replacement, and the match officials. I always read the newspapers in the country I go to and try to pick up information on the players.

In the build-up to the game I’m always reading biographies of players on the national team and club websites. I look for information like if a player is into golf, or hand-gliding. For example, I recently found out that Wales rugby captain Sam Warburton and Wales soccer star Gareth Bale were in the same class in school together, little things like that.

I also compile information on rucks won, lineout won et cetera. The thing is there is a huge amount of preparation, but you may only use five percent of your research. After the game the other 90% is obsolete because it’s irrelevant the next day. But you never know which piece of information you’re going to use. You need more information for radio than for TV because it’s more descriptive.

In the last hour before kick-off the Six Nations people lay on food for the media, so you eat and shoot the breeze with other journalists about the Lions tour or the Heineken Cup. I used to get hot and bothered before a game, but I’m more experienced now, so I’m more relaxed, but I am keyed up for the game.

Then I head up to the commentary area 45 minutes before the game to see where I’m seated and check out my view of the pitch. The commentary areas are so far back now you need binoculars very often to see across to the far side of the pitch. So, you get them focused before the game.

Donal Lenihan is normally my co-commentator and he’s doing the game this weekend. He would be the same in terms of being in position well before the game. We prefer to do the talking during the game, but not before.

I find the anthems before the games fantastic. Each country has their war tune. I know anthems are played before every international, but there is something special about them before Six Nations games: it’s massively passionate. That’s goose bumps time.

It’s kick-off time then and we’re live; the match flies by. Donal and I have a tradition before games to turn around to each other and shake hands just before we go on air. Tony Ward has done games with me before and we also do the same.

During the game the producer is feeding information into my ear piece. They could be telling you information from other games. There could be a scenario where a player is on the ground injured and my view is blocked, but they can see the TV coverage so they can tell you. But that information is kept to a minimum because you’re obviously trying to pay attention to what you’re doing. You have the referee in your ear piece as well, so you’re trying to filter everything and stay calm.

At half-time I take my headphones off immediately; Donal likes to listen to what the panel have to say, which is played through to us at half-time. At half-time I try to figure out match stats: line-outs won, penalties kicked and missed. During the roaring and shouting of the first 40 minutes it’s hard to keep a track of that information, so half-time is the best time to do it.

A lot of the time the producer says go off and get yourself a cup of tea. But we’re miles away from anything, so we can’t. But I do drink two litres of water a game. It keeps my voice fresh all the time. When the co-commentator is speaking I drink a slug of water.

I also drink a lot of tea for my voice. If my voice is croaky after a game I’ll take tea with honey. But I’ve never had any real difficulties with my voice.

Your adrenaline gets you through the match and you describe the action as impartially as you can, whether the opposition scores a try or Ireland do. I don’t find that hard though. I’d say that I try to be as fair as I possibly can. My job is to describe the action; the result comes secondary.

When the game finishes I get around to the tunnel area to do the post-match interviews. It can sometimes be difficult to go from the adrenaline of the match to a calm interview. That’s when double checking scores, tries and facts at half-time, comes in handy. As a result, during those post-match interviews you have all your facts sorted so that you are ready to ask the right questions.

Having done the interview and a post-match report, I’m normally done about an hour and 15 minutes after the full-time whistle. If I’m meeting someone after the game I usually tell them to check their watch when the ref blows for full-time and I’ll see them one hour and 15 minutes later. On Saturday, I’ll be done at the stadium by 16:45.

After the match the media people might go for a drink on the way back to the hotel, in Rome we might hop off the tram and watch part of the second match being played that day. We might then go for something to eat around 20:00, but at that stage you’re absolutely knackered. Your entire week’s work from watching last Monday’s Ireland training session right through every day of interviews, watching training, recording radio bulletins, and gathering information, ends then.

I’ll fly back home Sunday mid-morning and then start preparations for the England game the next week. I’ll record all the matches and spend Sunday afternoon and Monday morning looking back over them all, while reading the statistic sheets. Preparation and research is the key with this job.

The best part of the job is getting to go to all the matches for free; you get the best seat in the house; and you get paid for it as well.

You get a ringside seat to a sport that you love, with behind-the-scenes access. It’s a very privileged position. What else could you ask for?
David Holwell

Post by David Holwell »

POM needs to have a big game. With Warburton and Tipuric both rumoured to be starting every breakdown will be a challenge
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

CM11 wrote:

Bowe never passes, offloads (most of which don't find their man, but still not passes)
Kearney never passes.
Gilroy never passes.
Zebo never passes.
Trimble never passes.
Fitz never passes (he actually can't pass on the move).
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

What if he picks a backrow of PoM Henry and Heaslip?
Henry and Pom are the lads in possession of the jerseys and neither have done anything that would warrant being dropped,in fact both have been in good form since the AI's.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

grimoald wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Bowe never passes, offloads (most of which don't find their man, but still not passes)
Kearney never passes.
Gilroy never passes.
Zebo never passes.
Trimble never passes.
Fitz never passes (he actually can't pass on the move).
You're deluded.

Earls making one good pass in his Irish career to set Bowe up against France does not mean he can pass. He's an awful passer at any sort of speed.

As for Fitz not passing! I despair sometimes. If anything he looks for the pass too much.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:What if he picks a backrow of PoM Henry and Heaslip?
Henry and Pom are the lads in possession of the jerseys and neither have done anything that would warrant being dropped,in fact both have been in good form since the AI's.
Unless SOB is anything other than 100% fit, I can't see it happening.
Ladyboys would go into meltdown if it did.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:What if he picks a backrow of PoM Henry and Heaslip?
Unless SOB is anything other than 100% fit, I can't see it happening.
Ladyboys would go into meltdown if it did.
Why just us? Surely everyone should go into meltdown given he'd be leaving out our best chance of beating Wales?
piaras

Post by piaras »

When is this announced.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

piaras wrote:When is this announced.
1 pm.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Fitz not passing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrfa_LI43mk

Although you'd just need to have watched the recent Scarlets game to know that Grim's talking shite as usual.

It is fair to say that we haven't had a top notch passer in the back three since Hickie but it's ridiculous to suggest Earls stands out in that regard.