The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
CM11

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by CM11 »

Hellraiser wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Nolanator wrote:POM now has a central contract and SOB doesn't. f**king shenanigans.
Well in fairness,the Munster boys are loyal,not like the Leinster lads.
SOB is so f**king loyal that he signed as long a contract as he could before he'd broken into the Irish team. Another bloody year to go on it.

Surely the IRFU and players can renegotiate the terms of their contract mid-contract if both parties are up for it?

Why would the IRFU do that?
Because if they didn't they might end up with said player leaving at the end of his contract....

I thought you weren't one of the people who saw the players as simply resources as opposed to real people. Others have had contracts upgraded after they were signed. I think Henderson started the season on a development contract.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

CM11 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:Why would the IRFU do that?
Because if they didn't they might end up with said player leaving at the end of his contract....

I thought you weren't one of the people who saw the players as simply resources as opposed to real people. Others have had contracts upgraded after they were signed. I think Henderson started the season on a development contract.
Pretty sure that HR was asking a rhetorical question to highlight the thinking of the IRFU.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Considering the last weeks shennanigans,the more Irish players on central contracts the better in my book. Regardless to where they are from,time to protect from within unlike the Welsh.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Despot wrote:
binge90 wrote:POM getting a central contract. :lol:

And people wonder why I talk about IRFU incompetence.
Whats wrong with POM getting a central contract? The issue is that SOB hasn't got one, not that POM has?
I don't think POM is at central contract stage personally. Not far off it but it is a sign of him being overrated, IMO.
redrebel

Post by redrebel »

CM11 wrote:
Despot wrote:

Whats wrong with POM getting a central contract? The issue is that SOB hasn't got one, not that POM has?
I don't think POM is at central contract stage personally. Not far off it but it is a sign of him being overrated, IMO.
:frown:
Socco

Post by Socco »

So all the 50/50 decisions went to men from Caaaaaaarrkkk. I'm shocked.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Nolanator wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:Why would the IRFU do that?

Pretty sure that HR was asking a rhetorical question to highlight the thinking of the IRFU.
Fair enough. Apologies to HR if that's the case.
overthehillprop

Post by overthehillprop »

I'll thcream and thcream 'till I'm thick if Deccie doesn't pick.....

I'll thcream and thcream 'till I'm thickif SOB doesn't get a central contract
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:fudge you Declan,fudge you for putting out a decent team with only 1 slightly dodgy call.
In fairness, ROG on the bench is more than a little dodgy.
binge90 wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:Well,this is a bit of a letdown,what are we going to argue over until Saturday?
Lyons versus Barrys could get us through to Thursday?
Barrys.
Always knew you were an okay guy.
feckwanker wrote:Leinster - 10
Munster - 8
Ulster - 4
Connacht - 1

Hmmmmmmmmm
If Ulster NIQ's were eligible for Ireland
Leinster - 9
Munster - 7
Ulster - 7
Connacht - 0
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Socco wrote:So all the 50/50 decisions went to men from Caaaaaaarrkkk. I'm shocked.
apart from Gilroy of course.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Have to ask IRFU to look into their crystal ball and give me next weeks Lotto numbers.
They seem to be seeing into the future about how good POM is going to be.

He's a good player, but all the talk of future this and that is very premature.
Despot

Post by Despot »

CM11 wrote:
Despot wrote:

Wouldn't necessarily agree- I prefer to see guys like him getting locked in rather than funds being given to older retirement stage players. I think he has proved himself of the necessary standard, I'm just surprised that someone like SOB hasn't been locked in.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Nolanator wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Nolanator wrote:POM now has a central contract and SOB doesn't. f**king shenanigans.
SOB is so f**king loyal that he signed as long a contract as he could before he'd broken into the Irish team. Another bloody year to go on it.

Surely the IRFU and players can renegotiate the terms of their contract mid-contract if both parties are up for it?
Poor business by SOB really. Shouldn't have signed such a long deal with Leinster. It's bad business for Leinster too as they are paying his wages in full well into his career as a key international player.
Socco

Post by Socco »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Socco wrote:So all the 50/50 decisions went to men from Caaaaaaarrkkk. I'm shocked.
That wasn't 50/50. That was 55/45 to be exact. Earls isn't from Caaaaaarrrkkk either.
CambridgeFergal

Post by CambridgeFergal »

Yer Man wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:I hope this means they target the welsh lineout!
How do you "target" the Welsh lineout?
Be in the same half of the field as the thrower?
Poite ignores crooked lineout throws, so Wales can probably throw straight to the scum-half and he'll ignore it. Like he does most of the laws.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

CM11 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:

Why would the IRFU do that?

I didn't say I agreed with it, I just meant given how tight they are why would the IRFU voluntarily pay more money now than they had to.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Keet's from Limerick. Not relevant. :P
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
Yer Man wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:I hope this means they target the welsh lineout!
How do you "target" the Welsh lineout?
Be in the same half of the field as the thrower?
Poite ignores crooked lineout throws, so Wales can probably throw straight to the scum-half and he'll ignore it. Like he does most of the laws.
This, offside too, staying on feet at breakdown and going through the gate also.

Priorities are binding properly and not being perceived to drop scrum and protecting possession at ruck time.
Sissyfuss

Post by Sissyfuss »

Was sure that Earls was going to get in ahead of BOD or GD.. Whats with that decision? Wont go down well on Munsterfans. :shock:
Mr. Very Popular

'and this is where it says I'll be sharing a room with Deccie'

fair play to PoM for giving us something to whinge about,he's a great lad
Franzer

Post by Franzer »

Typical Kidney Selection, Saving bis beloved Keet by excluding him from starting 15, Would he ever do something positive for Irish rugby and just resign Now, AS for Peter O'Mahony promising player but not International class yet, should still be on a provincial contract, with Sexton now off the IRFU Books, what are the bets on another international contract for the RADGE, both him and DOC will get a couple of cheap caps on Saturday as usual, when RADGE & Earls come on North/Cuthbert will run straight at them to turn the game
Mr. Very Popular

Franzer wrote:Typical Kidney Selection, Saving bis beloved Keet by excluding him from starting 15, Would he ever do something positive for Irish rugby and just resign Now, AS for Peter O'Mahony promising player but not International class yet, should still be on a provincial contract, with Sexton now off the IRFU Books, what are the bets on another international contract for the RADGE, both him and DOC will get a couple of cheap caps on Saturday as usual, when RADGE & Earls come on North/Cuthbert will run straight at them to turn the game
How exactly is he 'saving his beloved Keith' by dropping him to the bench?
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

One worry about the selection is that the taffs will be well aware of Gilroy's defensive frailties and they will probably target him and the 13 channel together with their big runners.
etherman

Post by etherman »

Uncle Fester wrote:One worry about the selection is that the taffs will be well aware of Gilroy's defensive frailties and they will probably target him and the 13 channel together with their big runners.
:roll: Here we go...
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

This.

He didn't have to wait very long to get his first either, unlike Sexton.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Uncle Fester wrote:One worry about the selection is that the taffs will be well aware of Gilroy's defensive frailties and they will probably target him and the 13 channel together with their big runners.
Defence is going to be a major issue with two green wingers. Big games required from the centres and backrow. All the more reason to pick Henry.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Mick Mac v DOC as well,Cork lost.

Happy enough on that.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Disappointed at Henry being on the bench. Hopefully POM has a top match to justify His selection.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

CM11 wrote:
Defence is going to be a major issue with two green wingers. Big games required from the centres and backrow. All the more reason to pick Henry.
It may be a problem but I'd rather see some young lads in there then the same old faces. They'll either sink or swim but at least give them the opportunity.
Mr. Very Popular

camroc1 wrote:
This.

when did Sexton get his?
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Wingers aren't picked for their defence.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

He Man Rugger Pints wrote:I'd have gone for Henry but not a lot in it tbf. The back three looks quite dangerous, was expecting Earls to usurp Gilroy but glad he hasn't. ROG...
We know.

Madigan should have been blooded in the Summer.
Jackson should have been blooded in November (and I don't mean the A team).

We are where we are because of opportunities squandered in that shirt since the last 6 nations.

tbf, there has been progress in other areas (Kilcoyne, McCarthy, Henry, Zebo, Gilroy) it's just the location of the blindspot that compromises so much of the development elsewhere...
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
This.

when did Sexton get his?
IBWT

Post by IBWT »

Looking over on Gwlad they seem pretty confident again after seeing the Ireland team. Feel the Irish backline lacks the size and physicality to cope with Roberts, North, Cuthbert, etc.
soyhmf

Post by soyhmf »

IBWT wrote:Looking over on Gwlad they seem pretty confident again after seeing the Ireland team. Feel the Irish backline lacks the size and physicality to cope with Roberts, North, Cuthbert, etc.
Could be right :?
Mulleh

Post by Mulleh »

Willie Falloon wrote:Disappointed at Henry being on the bench. Hopefully POM has a top match to justify His selection.
Fair play willy, hopefully POM can have a huge performance.

If he doesn't it will be Henry for the rest of the 6N, well it should be.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Mulleh wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:Disappointed at Henry being on the bench. Hopefully POM has a top match to justify His selection.
Fair play willy, hopefully POM can have a huge performance.

If he doesn't it will be Henry for the rest of the 6N, well it should be.
Unless Ferris comes back as scheduled in which case the POM vs Henry debate is moot.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

IBWT wrote:Looking over on Gwlad they seem pretty confident again after seeing the Ireland team. Feel the Irish backline lacks the size and physicality to cope with Roberts, North, Cuthbert, etc.
The Irish scrum needs to hold up+we need to target winning oppositions and retain our own lineout. Do that and we have a chance.Get mangled in the scrum and we will get mangled.
Last edited by tazman77 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBWT

Post by IBWT »

soyhmf wrote:
Yeah unless the forwards can keep the team on the front foot I would be a bit worried about our ability to stop their big runners. Which means a solid set-piece and really getting stuck in at the breakdown.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

IBWT wrote:
soyhmf wrote:
Yeah unless the forwards can keep the team on the front foot I would be a bit worried about our ability to stop their big runners. Which means a solid set-piece and really getting stuck in at the breakdown.

Or employ another passive defensive set-up x(