The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Banana Man

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Banana Man »

anonymous_joe wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:Can any Munster players kick who aren't out-halves?

Ulster have Pienaar and Wallace, Leinster have McFadden. Most OHs do kick, but it's not a necessity if you've got other good footballers.
Murray is a decent goal kicker, as is Brian Haugh a scrum half in the academy.
Hopefully that'll lead to a shift in attitude.
Fingers crossed, bar the Metro game Keatleys kicking stats have been pretty good this season.

And JJ is well able to kick.
Both of whom are also able to run with the ball and dont have to stand 15m behind the gainline.
apurelegend

Post by apurelegend »

camroc1 wrote:Kicking goals, and having the skills to be a good OH are different skillsets. It is perfectly normal to be able to do one, without being very good at the other.
Just to clarify, I mean in a situation where the out half is your primary goal kicker.
apurelegend

Post by apurelegend »

CM11 wrote:Don't know why any of you are giving APL oxygen.
Yawn. Here comes the boreds saddest man.
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

DOB wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:Can any Munster players kick who aren't out-halves?

Ulster have Pienaar and Wallace, Leinster have McFadden. Most OHs do kick, but it's not a necessity if you've got other good footballers.
Murray is a decent goal kicker, as is Brian Haugh a scrum half in the academy.
I saw TOL take over kicking duties once or twice. He was very good at jobs he didn't have to hurry up at.
Twas against the Ospreys in 09 in Ospreyland.

Warwick went off injured and his replacment was Conan Doyle, who also went off.
TOL finished the game at 10 and had 2 penalties and a conversion or something like that.
etherman

Post by etherman »

I lament the fact that most young players jack in goal kicking oce they are in a team with an established kicker. If we had a 9, 12 or 15 who was a proficient goal kicker it would take a lot of pressure off any new 10s that we wanted to blood.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

DOB wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:
DOB wrote:Henderson really ought to be ahead of doc.
The worrying thing is that you might actually believe that.
I'm not even remotely surprised or worried that you might not.
He has played 2 games ever for Ulster at second row.

Anything to support your position other than not liking Munster lads in the team?
SASP

Post by SASP »

etherman wrote:I lament the fact that most young players jack in goal kicking oce they are in a team with an established kicker. If we had a 9, 12 or 15 who was a proficient goal kicker it would take a lot of pressure off any new 10s that we wanted to blood.
I know a No.8/Lock who is a great goal kicker.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

CM11 wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Lads, the IRFU dropped Fitz from his Irish contract when he was injured; and it was Leinster who gave him a contract through his rehab.

Can you all give yourselves uppercuts.
Camroc you do realise its down to the IRFU if a player gets a contract or not,all players in the provinces are on IRFU contracts,it may be a contarct to play in Leinster or Munster but it's still an IRFU contract.
That is pathetic!

Especially in the context of the discussion we're having.

The provinces also have more autonomy than that. You're saying every single contract from SOB down to the cleaners has to be ratified by an IRFU, as opposed to Leinster, committee?

Why do we bother distinguishing between Leinster money and IRFU money then?
All direct rugby realted employees are on IRFU contracts,simple as that.
If the IRFU wanted too they could tell any employee to work for a different province/team the next week.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

etherman wrote:I lament the fact that most young players jack in goal kicking oce they are in a team with an established kicker. If we had a 9, 12 or 15 who was a proficient goal kicker it would take a lot of pressure off any new 10s that we wanted to blood.
Leamy was a cracking kicker and took all the place kicks right up to SCT level with Rockwell.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Lads, the IRFU dropped Fitz from his Irish contract when he was injured; and it was Leinster who gave him a contract through his rehab.

Camroc you do realise its down to the IRFU if a player gets a contract or not,all players in the provinces are on IRFU contracts,it may be a contarct to play in Leinster or Munster but it's still an IRFU contract.
That is pathetic!

Especially in the context of the discussion we're having.

The provinces also have more autonomy than that. You're saying every single contract from SOB down to the cleaners has to be ratified by an IRFU, as opposed to Leinster, committee?

Why do we bother distinguishing between Leinster money and IRFU money then?
All direct rugby realted employees are on IRFU contracts,simple as that.
If the IRFU wanted too they could tell any employee to work for a different province/team the next week.
You mean they could try. If they actually attempted to force anyone into a new province who didn't want to go they wouldn't have a hope in hell. As they found out when they tried to force McCormack to stay at Ulster.
bobbyfatfingers

Post by bobbyfatfingers »

gutted for Chad, I genuinely think he deserved to start.
that and POM annoys me with his dickhead antics :P

I'm hoping that Kilcoyne on the bench is a player development selection, if Healy was injured, would he be starting? TC has responded superbly to being left out in the Autumn, and I think he's better than Kilcoyne right now.

Rog on the bench, not ideal, but then Jacko has been ordinary of late, and Mad dog didn't really do much in the A game, but still, not ideal.

DOC on bench, hmmm... if Kilcoyne is a development selection, then Henderson... no Kilcoyne's not a development selection is he...hmmmm

ok team picked, let's get on and win this fucken thing.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Remember that time Leamy got a central contract and SOB didn't? That was f**king retarded.

Anyway on the team, I'm pretty happy overall. RADGE! is a f**king pathetic call but it was always going to happen.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

danthefan wrote:Remember that time Leamy got a central contract and SOB didn't? That was f**king retarded.
And Leamy hadn't played for Ireland for a couple of years previously, and retired due to injury a couple of months later, not having played in the meantime.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

bobbyfatfingers wrote:ok team picked, let's get on and win this fucken thing.
Amen to that.
etherman

Post by etherman »

If you'd told me two years ago that we'd still be starting Darcy at 12, I'd have punched you int he face.

Henderson should be benching.
redrebel

Post by redrebel »

DOB wrote:
redrebel wrote:What with Sexton fecking off to france and Kearney putting whispers in the wind about leaving is it not time to re-evaluate that infamous team get together in Xmas 08 where Munster players loyality to the Irish jersey over the Munster jersey was called into question?With the passing of time is it not clearer now that the Leinster boys do not in fact give a flying fudge about the Blue Magic and are only in it for the quick buck while the plain folk of Munster reamin here loyal and steadfast with pride and passion.

f**king Martyrs we are!!!
You haven't given any evidence that the Munster lads care more about the green jersey than the red. It's very clear that the Leinster lads pick green over blue; BOD had 50 caps for Ireland before Leinster. Sexton has made concessions in his new contract to be allowed play for Ireland. There's no questioning the lads' loyalty to their country.
Indeed just to their province the fecking merc's
bobbyfatfingers

Post by bobbyfatfingers »

CM11 wrote:Bobby, it's bizarre that you've turned an argument involving Trimble and Earls with a side order of Gilroy into an attack on Fitz. No-one, not even me has called for him to start.
I wasn't mate, there was chat about the strike rates, and I thought I recalled someone analysing and them all coming out the same...it may have been earls and bowe and shaggy in hindsight. in fact, was that not the stage where you coined the phrase "not tasked to score"?

all the basic glance tells us is that earls actually scores quite regularly, and that Fitz doesn't. Not a qualitative analysis of their general performance
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

etherman wrote:If you'd told me two years ago that we'd still be starting Darcy at 12, I'd have punched you int he face.

Henderson should be benching.
If I'd have asked you two years ago who was going to be starting at 12 for Ireland in two years time, what would you have said?
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

I wonder where Fitz will end up in the long run,given the issues over the last 12 months?
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Munster are in severe financial difficulty and are currently in arrears to the irfu. Despite the new rules looks like they are going to have to finance another foreign THP. This is clearly another bailout from the union. Nothing more or less. Promising squad players don't get central contracts.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

danthefan wrote:Remember that time Leamy got a central contract and SOB didn't? That was f**king retarded.

Anyway on the team, I'm pretty happy overall. RADGE! is a f**king pathetic call but it was always going to happen.
It was.
redrebel

Post by redrebel »

epaddy wrote:Munster are in severe financial difficulty and are currently in arrears to the irfu. Despite the new rules looks like they are going to have to finance another foreign THP. This is clearly another bailout from the union. Nothing more or less. Promising squad players don't get central contracts.
NineInchNile

Post by NineInchNile »

SOB had something like 3/4 caps when he signed his Leinster deal. Its hardly the IRFU's fault that he signed on before the 6N where he really gained his international reputation. It must be irritating for him though when he watches the rest of his team-mates continually looking to France for better contracts, while he's just happy to play for his province; the loyal lad he is.
Last edited by NineInchNile on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrebel

Post by redrebel »

NineInchNile wrote:

SOB had something like 3 caps when he signed his Leinster deal. Its hardly the IRFU's fault that he signed on before the 6N where he really gained his international reputation. It must be irritating for him though when he watches the rest of his team-mates continually looking to France for better contracts, while he's just happy to play for his province; the loyal lad he is.
Aye at least there is one :thumbup:
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

The selection of POM actually makes sense for this match. I think we can gain an edge up front in this game and POM will give us extra go forward to exert our dominance. If we don't win the forwards battle and are on the back foot then we are in trouble anyway given the physical mismatches across the 3/4 line.
I do hope Kidney is taking a "horses for courses" approach and selects Henry against England where his defensive skills will be needed against a big pack. If Kidney could make that decision, irrespective of the result on Saturday I would be impressed
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

bobbyfatfingers wrote:gutted for Chad, I genuinely think he deserved to start.
The one thing that we might be missing with Henry as an out-and-out 7 for international level is speed. He's a converted number 8 who has worked hard to develop the skillset of a useful 7 but he's not particularly fast. He was very good in the AI's and has been very good for Ulster but would he simply get burned by a Warburton-Tipuric twosome in simply getting around the park?

SOB & POM would be a good deal faster than him.

Just speculating but there may be reasons for this decision that are not apparent to casual observers.
*waits for somebody to post the Kidney pic and dodge the debate*
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

POM was selected because we are looking at targeting the Welsh lineout.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

bobbyfatfingers wrote:
CM11 wrote:Bobby, it's bizarre that you've turned an argument involving Trimble and Earls with a side order of Gilroy into an attack on Fitz. No-one, not even me has called for him to start.
I wasn't mate, there was chat about the strike rates, and I thought I recalled someone analysing and them all coming out the same...it may have been earls and bowe and shaggy in hindsight. in fact, was that not the stage where you coined the phrase "not tasked to score"?

all the basic glance tells us is that earls actually scores quite regularly, and that Fitz doesn't. Not a qualitative analysis of their general performance
You were, as always with Fitz, overly harsh in your comments. I don't understand what you have against Fitz, I have to say. He hasn't been properly fit for any length of time since 09 (when he clearly did know where the tryline was for Leinster, and he was only in his first full season for Ireland) and I can't understand why any Irish fan wouldn't want him to bring the form which saw him score a try nearly every two games for Leinster to Ireland (his strike rate from 07 to 09).

The guy has come back from serious injury twice (or is it three times?). And he's only 25. Anyone with that sort of commitment deserves respect. And in amongst some poor form (in reality his shocking form only lasted 8 months, prior to his injury in Nov 10 he'd been in good form and he was in good form for us last season) has been some excellent form.
Mr. Very Popular

tazman77 wrote:

I wonder where Fitz will end up in the long run,given the issues over the last 12 months?
Wouldn't mind seeing him join Munster,Zebo Conway and Fitz back 3 :thumbup:
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Absolutely :thumbup:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

tazman77 wrote:

If he keeps up this form he'll be at Leinster for sure. We have practically no wing cover.

He probably wouldn't get a decent contract abroad until he stays fit for a while so I'd say he'll be tied into a 2 or even 3 year contract with Leinster relatively soon. He might try and angle for a new IRFU contract but I can't see him getting one.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

We could play him in the centre I've heard he is a good passer
Mr. Very Popular

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Murray,JJ,
Zebo,Fitz,Some new lad,Conway,
Earls.

Keatley and LoD on the bench.
:nod: :nod:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Certainly better than any Munster have had for the last 6 yrs or so.
Despot

Post by Despot »

CM11 wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

If he keeps up this form he'll be at Leinster for sure. We have practically no wing cover.

He probably wouldn't get a decent contract abroad until he stays fit for a while so I'd say he'll be tied into a 2 or even 3 year contract with Leinster relatively soon. He might try and angle for a new IRFU contract but I can't see him getting one.[/quote

If he stays anyway fit Leinster would be mad to let him go- he could be the senior back in a very soon.

On the "IRFU dropping him", was he dropped, or was it that they wouldn't meet his asking price? Cant remember the detail from the time.
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
tazman77 wrote:

Certainly better than any Munster have had for the last 6 yrs or so.
Barry "The Pass" Murphy laughs in your general direction

tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

Despot wrote:
If he stays anyway fit Leinster would be mad to let him go- he could be the senior back in a very soon.

On the "IRFU dropping him", was he dropped, or was it that they wouldn't meet his asking price? Cant remember the detail from the time.
Luke was on a contract of 280k it was reported.
IRFU offered him a new one for 200k it was reported.
Luke was not happy and held firm
Luke got injured
IRFU retracted contract offer due to severity of injury
Leinster stepped in and gave him a contract at an ever lesser ammount(which I thought was done with the blessing of the IRFU but thats the bit Camroc is disputing so not 100% so in brackets)
Luke left with no option but to accept even smaller deal on table.
Luke 2013-2014?
Mr. Very Popular

Wouldn't meet his asking price sounds very familiar now that you mention it.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The IRFU tabled an offer for 200k, Fitz wanted a higher salary, it was reported his previous salary was 280k and he reckoned he could get something like that abroad.

Then he suffered the injury which didn't quite rule him out straight away but was serious enough. The IRFU withdrew their offer, rightly.

Basically it never got to the end of negotiations because of the injury.
P.T.

Post by P.T. »

Why do Ulster have so few players playing for Ireland? Is it because they give their all for Queen and province and pull back for Ireland or is it because their foreign players drive them forwards? Or something else?