All things Rugby
alliswell

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by alliswell »

He's the Irish Haskell
bobbyfatfingers

Post by bobbyfatfingers »

yes, but they've left out the stats for pushing folks in front of the ref after the whistle.
he's our king spide
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Also pretty low number of lineouts, despite his apparent ligindaryness there.
NineInchNile

Post by NineInchNile »

Better carrier than SOB though :thumbup:
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

etherman wrote:
NineInchNile wrote:
Yer Man wrote:Some HEC stats for the back-rowers (per 80min match):

Flankers
O'Brien: 13.8 carries, 28.3 metres, 10.0 tackles @ 90%, 0.4 linouts
O'Mahony: 12.4 carries, 34.7 metres, 3.9 tackles @ 96%, 1.2 lineouts
Henry: 5.8 carries, 7.5 metres, 12.3 tackles @ 99%, 0.8 lineouts
[Henderson: 3.2 carries, 11.2 metres, 11.4 tackles @ 95%, 2.1 lineouts]
[McLaughlin: 6.9 carries, 10.7 metres, 9.9 tackles @ 100%, 3.2 lineouts]

Number 8
Heaslip: 13.5 carries, 25.3 metres, 10.0 tackles @ 100%, 1.3 lineouts
[Coughlan: 12.0 carries, 40.0 metres, 7.1 tackles @ 90%, 0.5 lineouts]

Notes:
- much of the difference in stats stems from how teams us their backrow - Munster do a lot of ball carrying there, Ulster comparitvely little...
- in the HEC, Henry doesn't carry much, POM doesn't tackle, Heaslip and SOB are both pretty busy, McLaughlin is the best lineout target
- no stats for turnovers forced however
- in the November tests, POM, Henry and Heaslip all had 16 carries and between 11 and 15 tackles so the work was fairly evenly split
I guess those stats comfirm that Coughlan is a better #8 than Heaslip; not that it was ever in doubt though.
What the hell is with POM tackle stats? I dont care how Muster play that seems ridiculously low.
How many tackles did Dougall, O'Donnell, etc make?
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

NineInchNile wrote:
Yer Man wrote:Some HEC stats for the back-rowers (per 80min match):

Flankers
O'Brien: 13.8 carries, 28.3 metres, 10.0 tackles @ 90%, 0.4 linouts
O'Mahony: 12.4 carries, 34.7 metres, 3.9 tackles @ 96%, 1.2 lineouts
Henry: 5.8 carries, 7.5 metres, 12.3 tackles @ 99%, 0.8 lineouts
[Henderson: 3.2 carries, 11.2 metres, 11.4 tackles @ 95%, 2.1 lineouts]
[McLaughlin: 6.9 carries, 10.7 metres, 9.9 tackles @ 100%, 3.2 lineouts]

Number 8
Heaslip: 13.5 carries, 25.3 metres, 10.0 tackles @ 100%, 1.3 lineouts
[Coughlan: 12.0 carries, 40.0 metres, 7.1 tackles @ 90%, 0.5 lineouts]

Notes:
- much of the difference in stats stems from how teams us their backrow - Munster do a lot of ball carrying there, Ulster comparitvely little...
- in the HEC, Henry doesn't carry much, POM doesn't tackle, Heaslip and SOB are both pretty busy, McLaughlin is the best lineout target
- no stats for turnovers forced however
- in the November tests, POM, Henry and Heaslip all had 16 carries and between 11 and 15 tackles so the work was fairly evenly split
I guess those stats comfirm that Coughlan is a better #8 than Heaslip; not that it was ever in doubt though.
YOu would have loved the Lions Rugby Club on Sky live from Twickers last night quite a few people were picking Heaslip as their Lions captain.
thekingsnotdead

Post by thekingsnotdead »

So did you f**king bog warriors have an announcement today or not?
Tony McGahan

Post by Tony McGahan »

Banana Man wrote:Just back from the Munster Press Conference.

Twas a nice afternoon, they serve a nice lunch in the Clarion.
Good man Bman, when they said someone was coming down from Leinster, I didn't realise they meant you. All your good work has paid off at last :thumbup:
DOB

Post by DOB »

camroc1 wrote:
feckwanker wrote:This much we know -
1. Bank of Ireland to be announced as new sponsors for Munster
2. someone from Leinster coming to Munster (possibly Ruddock or Reddan)
3. We're gonna win the HEC this year :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"We're all goin' to heaven, lads! Wheeeyyyyyy!"
bobbyfatfingers

Post by bobbyfatfingers »

NineInchNile wrote:Better carrier than SOB though :thumbup:
Congratulations, you have overtaken Apurelegend as The boreds latest and greatest Munster cyclops.

Keep this up and you'll be challenging Porterbelly and Earl for the Best Irish in category
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Mickey C doing the Heaslip interview,I wonder is he taking a step towards TV commentary,Christ that'd be great.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:Mickey C doing the Heaslip interview,I wonder is he taking a step towards TV commentary,Christ that'd be great.

I somehow doubt that Ryle will relinquish his manicured, moisturised grip on the mike for Irish games.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

I'm taking a piss right now and I'm dedicating it to Mike McCarthy.

Hero.
Mr. Very Popular

TheBouncer wrote:I'm taking a piss right now and I'm dedicating it to Mike McCarthy.

Hero.
Played well but was f**ked after 60 mins,he's well worth his place though,great fringe defending.
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:I'm taking a piss right now and I'm dedicating it to Mike McCarthy.

Hero.
Played well but was f**ked after 60 mins,he's well worth his place though,great fringe defending.
Makes an outrageous amount of huge tackles. Can't wait to have him. :nod:
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:

Hero.

Doesn't matter a wank if he were good for 80, he'd be yanked off anyway.

Delighted for the lads.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

We've got to keep our defensive shape and control the pace of the game better next week. Please God don't let it be Keet at 13.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

What's the story with Ross? We're still f**ked for tightheads, can't really see a craic at the championship atm.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

For next week we have to stop kicking aimlessly. Gilroy in particular kicked without much purpose.
Happy for POM to start, he played well today, but he needs to support more. Our backrow was great 1 or 2 years ago because they were supporting each other; Heaslip has been too quiet in that regard too.

Keet at the moment shouldn't be in the team; he's not up to international standard in the centre, and sadly for him he's been moved around too much to put him ahead of Zebo, Trimble, Gilroy. McFadden or Luke Marshall would be the best choices for 12 for the next match.

And whatever Kidney said at half time, somebody tell him to shut up! Why is it that on the odd occassion that we do start well, we can never maintain that play for longer than 40 minutes? We also end up sitting back and defending with players putting their bodies on the line for very long periods.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Ireland are in the poop next week if D'arcy and Ross are out.

No Luke Marshall is a massive disappointment.
Tony McGahan

Post by Tony McGahan »

Willie Falloon wrote:Ireland are in the poop next week if D'arcy and Ross are out.

No Luke Marshall is a massive disappointment.
Ross is fine apparently.

D'Arcy has to go for a scan but according to RTE, they're not "overly worried". Otherwise... :uhoh:
tiddle

Post by tiddle »

at least ryle can still yell zeBoooooowwwwweee
Mulleh

Post by Mulleh »

For all ye Munster lads, Gareth Fitz has no intention of retiring.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

tiddle wrote:at least ryle can still yell zeBoooooowwwwweee
:lol:
Was thinking something like that!
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Mulleh wrote:For all ye Munster lads, Gareth Fitz has no intention of retiring.
<loads up the sniper rifle>
Mr. Very Popular

That's the company line alright.
Ireland's Call

Post by Ireland's Call »

Nolanator wrote:

I really hate him whenever Harinordoquy plays...........
soyhmf

Post by soyhmf »

bobbyfatfingers wrote:
NineInchNile wrote:Better carrier than SOB though :thumbup:
Congratulations, you have overtaken Apurelegend as The boreds latest and greatest Munster cyclops.

Keep this up and you'll be challenging Porterbelly and Earl for the Best Irish in category
He's doing some more good work on the match thread.
thekingsnotdead

Ireland's Call wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I really hate him whenever Harinordoquy plays...........
At least he can pronounce the name, not like Donal Lenihan commentating
Bock

Post by Bock »

Keith was poor today alright but he's done enough over the last two 6N to deserve another chance at the 13 jersey. And it's instructive that his missed tackle in a 30-15 win at the GS holders is what PR is most fixated on :roll:

Healy was incredible. Best too. POM surprised me but the test will be against the heavier packs. Very encouraging though as hell get stronger and stronger in the next few years. Doubt Gilroy is up to it at this level though, he doesn't look to have the all-round package he'd need to make up for his size.

Hopefully we've moved permanently from EOS / Kidney style cagey controlled rugby to Wales / Schmidt style giving it a lash and enjoying it. Very noticeable difference in approach in the last few games. Because giving it a lash and trying to build a bit of momentum is the only way to go as a small nation in this tournament.
Bock

Post by Bock »

Keith was poor today alright but he's done enough over the last two 6N to deserve another chance at the 13 jersey. And it's instructive that his missed tackle in a 30-15 win at the GS holders is what PR is most fixated on :roll:

Healy was incredible. Best too. POM surprised me but the test will be against the heavier packs. Very encouraging though as hell get stronger and stronger in the next few years. Doubt Gilroy is up to it at this level though, he doesn't look to have the all-round package he'd need to make up for his size.

Hopefully we've moved permanently from EOS / Kidney style cagey controlled rugby to Wales / Schmidt style giving it a lash and enjoying it. Very noticeable difference in approach in the last few games. Because giving it a lash and trying to build a bit of momentum is the only way to go as a small nation in this tournament.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Old news.
He Man Rugger Pints

Post by He Man Rugger Pints »

I think Earls is our Balshaw in a way, mixes the good with the shite. When BOD goes, I'd prefer to see Bowe move to 13 for a year or two if nobody else steps up to the mark (I think Farrell will though tbh).
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Earls' problem is a personality one. If he had the same self-confidence as Zebo we would not be having this conversation.
thekingsnotdead

Hellraiser wrote:Earls' problem is a personality one. If he had the same self-confidence as Zebo we would not be having this conversation.
Earls' problem is that he is just like Zebo. Both are savage wingers, but not outside centres.
Franco Bianco

Post by Franco Bianco »

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Lads were great
Sissyfuss

Post by Sissyfuss »

Bock wrote:Keith was poor today alright but he's done enough over the last two 6N to deserve another chance at the 13 jersey. And it's instructive that his missed tackle in a 30-15 win at the GS holders is what PR is most fixated on :roll:

After one fairly decent game you have written him off. f**king bizarre.... You must know so much more about rugby then anyone else. Have you written a book?
Bock

Post by Bock »

Sissyfuss wrote:
Bock wrote:Keith was poor today alright but he's done enough over the last two 6N to deserve another chance at the 13 jersey. And it's instructive that his missed tackle in a 30-15 win at the GS holders is what PR is most fixated on :roll:

After one fairly decent game you have written him off. f**king bizarre.... You must know so much more about rugby then anyone else. Have you written a book?
You don't need to be Graham Henry to see that he's small, friend
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Sissyfuss wrote:

He has already had it pointed out on the match thread, Gilroy is a similar height and weight to Earls, D'Arcy and O'Driscoll.
Sissyfuss

Post by Sissyfuss »

Bock wrote:
Sissyfuss wrote:

You don't need to be Graham Henry to see that he's small, friend
Saying Gilroy is small is not my issue - "Doubt Gilroy is up to it at this level etc" . He was not man of the match but he did well enough. Throwing young players on the scrap heap after one non man of the match performance is.....strange.