The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
MunsterMan!!!!!

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Banana Man wrote:Jackson is a bloody good defender for a small lad, havent really seen him shown up in defence at all.

If Earls is out, do we look at putting someone like McSharry/Marshall onto the bench to stand up against the Urak Hai next weekend, as imagine the centres will be tackling alot.

That is not going to happen it will be Trimble or fitz. Actually I have a feeling that 36 and Tuilagi will start in the centre, which will be worse have a Tuilagi outside a ball player
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Banana Man wrote:Jackson is a bloody good defender for a small lad, havent really seen him shown up in defence at all.

If Earls is out, do we look at putting someone like McSharry/Marshall onto the bench to stand up against the Urak Hai next weekend, as imagine the centres will be tackling alot.

That is not going to happen it will be Trimble or fitz. Actually I have a feeling that 36 and Tuilagi will start in the centre, which will be worse have a Tuilagi outside a ball player
And ROG will still be on the bench.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Risky putting a guy who only covers one position on the bench. Remember when we had to put Paddy Wallace on in Paris and the whole backline had to be re-juggled? It'll be McFadden or Fitz in that order on the bench.

Still think we should be trying to bring Marshall into the team, notwithstanding D'Arcy's improved form.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Uncle Fester wrote:Risky putting a guy who only covers one position on the bench. Remember when we had to put Paddy Wallace on in Paris and the whole backline had to be re-juggled? It'll be McFadden or Fitz in that order on the bench.

Still think we should be trying to bring Marshall into the team, notwithstanding D'Arcy's improved form.
Had forgot about him actually
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

In which case Trimble is maybe the better bet, given his match fitness. But I wont complain about either.

It does mean that if someone goes off at least we have a passable centre in there and not RADGE
SASP

Post by SASP »

What's the chances kidney drafts in Wallace if D'Arcy is out.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Jackson is a bloody good defender full stop, he absolutely nails a couple of big lads a game, never mind for a small man.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

SASP wrote:What's the chances kidney drafts in Wallace if D'Arcy is out.
:lol:
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

earl the beaver wrote:
Jackson is a bloody good defender full stop, he absolutely nails a couple of big lads a game, never mind for a small man.
Ok. Jackson is a good defender.

My post wasn't having a cut, generally smaller lads would be seen as weaker defenders. He is not at all this.

Last season in the Connacht Ulster game in Galway, he was at 12 with Henry Fafili running at him all game and he only missed one tackle. He's a keeper.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Its not like kidney has never done that before.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Don't waste your time BM. They have gone so precious that even praise for Ulster players upsets them because it's not fulsome enough.
earl the beaver

Banana Man wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

My post wasn't having a cut, generally smaller lads would be seen as weaker defenders. He is not at all this.

Last season in the Connacht Ulster game in Galway, he was at 12 with Henry Fafili running at him all game and he only missed one tackle. He's a keeper.
Castres match at home this season he was 13-0 tackles made to missed, and that was with a couple of belters on Wannenburg and Tekori.
MunsterMan!!!!!

earl the beaver wrote:

:lol: :lol:

FFS
binge90

Post by binge90 »

earl the beaver wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Castres match at home this season he was 13-0 tackles made to missed, and that was with a couple of belters on Wannenburg and Tekori.
Unreal.
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

earl the beaver wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Ok Earl.

I think you are missing the point of my post. I am not disagreeing with you, you dont need to fact bomb me on this.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Hellraiser wrote:
ID2 wrote:Next weeks game will tell a lot, Wales were on the back of a 7 game losing streak and were dire in the first half, and left a few chances behind them in the second. Having said that we played 20 minutes with 14 men so its hard to know what shape we're in. The fact that the coaches can't let go of Rog is a worry, it cancels out any progressive selections or gameplay when you know the fall back is give to Rog and let him try a kick. At least the pre-planned subs seem to have stopped

They don't have a choice. He'll never see another cap as soon as his central contract is up.
Bullshit. Please don't tell me you think Kidinme honestly would like to pick Madigan or Jackson or Keatley at the moment.

Maybe you could explain why Trimble and Paddy Wallace didn't make the squad this weekend? Neither Zebo nor Gilroy are on central contracts. Or how McCarthy starts ahead of DOC?
Last edited by danthefan on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightship

Post by Lightship »

Going into the wc qf against Wales we had a team that seemed to be peaking at the right time with lots of excellent individuals. Comments from the inside indicate that they were overconfident but that group never really recovered from that loss. Kidney stuck with them but they never recovered mentally since then. The new group with Heaslip and Sexton promoted in leadership terms has had a massive improvement in enthusiasm. The tactics are from the same people and the personnel are worse imo but the attitude is light years better. I felt we were better than Wales back then and worse now but the results don't back that up.
BOD gave an interview around the start of the season where he said the attitude of players had to change from being provincially focused to nationally focused. If someone remembers the source of that interview I'd love to read it again. I believed and believe it was significant. BOD was a revelation yesterday compared to his Leinster form this season. You certainly could not say that about BOD or anyone else I can think of over the last couple of years.
I don't think we're good enough to win a grand slam but seeing us compete at or near our best is a pleasure.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Lightship wrote:Going into the wc qf against Wales we had a team that seemed to be peaking at the right time with lots of excellent individuals. Comments from the inside indicate that they were overconfident but that group never really recovered from that loss. Kidney stuck with them but they never recovered mentally since then. The new group with Heaslip and Sexton promoted in leadership terms has had a massive improvement in enthusiasm. The tactics are from the same people and the personnel are worse imo but the attitude is light years better. I felt we were better than Wales back then and worse now but the results don't back that up.
BOD gave an interview around the start of the season where he said the attitude of players had to change from being provincially focused to nationally focused. If someone remembers the source of that interview I'd love to read it again. I believed and believe it was significant. BOD was a revelation yesterday compared to his Leinster form this season. You certainly could not say that about BOD or anyone else I can think of over the last couple of years.
I don't think we're good enough to win a grand slam but seeing us compete at or near our best is a pleasure.
You mean the quarterfinal where he dropped Sexton and stunk up the pitch with ROG ? And a Murray who hadn't yet figured out he was supposed to do something with the ball when it appeared at the back of a ruck ?

That quarter final ?
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

binge90 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:

Unreal.
Genuinely psychotic at this stage
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Lightship wrote:Going into the wc qf against Wales we had a team that seemed to be peaking at the right time with lots of excellent individuals. Comments from the inside indicate that they were overconfident but that group never really recovered from that loss. Kidney stuck with them but they never recovered mentally since then. The new group with Heaslip and Sexton promoted in leadership terms has had a massive improvement in enthusiasm. The tactics are from the same people and the personnel are worse imo but the attitude is light years better. I felt we were better than Wales back then and worse now but the results don't back that up.
Plenty of Grand Slams have been won by average teams.
It's all about keeping winning.
Belief rises with each win.
earl the beaver

You're the f**king moron who went full retard and f**ked the bored up.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

earl the beaver wrote:You're the f**king moron who went full retard and f**ked the bored up.
Ask you carer for your tablets
CM11

Post by CM11 »

What 'new group'?

The guts of the team is the team that went to the WC. And Sexton was actually first choice going into the WC and didn't lose his place proper till the QF.

If everyone was fit you'd have Ryan/McCarthy in for DOC, Sexton in for ROG and Zebo in for Earls as the only changes from the WC team.

What's changed this season and in particular since the Fiji game is attitude in attack (although there was still too much aimless kicking for my liking yesterday). We're actually using decoy runners, skip passes, inside men etc. Basic shit that has most Irish fans tearing their hair out in the past for the lack of use. We would never have scored Healy's try last season because we simply wouldn't be in an attack mindset, everyone would have been set up to defend and wouldn't have reacted that well to the blockdown.

I also think yesterday is a decent contrast to the QF, the difference in attack when near their line was stark with Murray taking more ball on and Sexton present and able to take the ball to the line and draw defenders.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

1016 pages. Holy fudge. Alot of catching up to do.

I just need to press a letter and press submit for a VERY VERY long time :(
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:If we win next week we'll be in a hell of a position to go and win the thing outright.
France looked terrible today,no plan no shape and no one seemed to be leading out there,don't think they'll be as bad when they arrive in Dublin but if we get a fast start with a couple of scores they'll want to get off the pitch.
Just the small matter of England and Scotland before that though.
For England I'd like to see same team as yesterday but with PoM and Henry swapping and Fitz on the bench instead of Earls.
If Kidney wants to show Ulster fans that he doesn't hate our players then Earls should receive the same treatment as Trimble, even though all Trimble done wrong in his last capped game was drop a high ball into touch.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

On ROG. I actually think we'd be better off with two outside backs rather than him on the bench. He brings absolutely nothing to the table at international level anymore.

But I'm not sure why we'd do that when we've 3 FHs playing to a decent enough level. The argument that they're not ready is the same one that saw ROG get way too many starts over the last 4 years. ROG might come on and look assured but it's not much use to us him looking assured making mistake after mistake while being run over. I'd prefer someone else to be making, most likely, fewer mistakes and not being run over even if they looked a bit lost initially. If ROG was 23 and you were looking at his Munster and Irish performances over the last 3 years he'd have been discarded a while ago.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

CM11 wrote:
What 'new group'?

The guts of the team is the team that went to the WC. And Sexton was actually first choice going into the WC and didn't lose his place proper till the QF.

If everyone was fit you'd have Ryan/McCarthy in for DOC, Sexton in for ROG and Zebo in for Earls as the only changes from the WC team.

What's changed this season and in particular since the Fiji game is attitude in attack (although there was still too much aimless kicking for my liking yesterday). We're actually using decoy runners, skip passes, inside men etc. Basic shit that has most Irish fans tearing their hair out in the past for the lack of use. We would never have scored Healy's try last season because we simply wouldn't be in an attack mindset, everyone would have been set up to defend and wouldn't have reacted that well to the blockdown.

I also think yesterday is a decent contrast to the QF, the difference in attack when near their line was stark with Murray taking more ball on and Sexton present and able to take the ball to the line and draw defenders.
We scored Zebo's try because there were TWO decoy runners off BOD no less. Just gave him that split second of space he needed.

As opposed to that QF in which we gave the ball to SOB or Ferris and expected a miracle.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Willie Falloon wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:If we win next week we'll be in a hell of a position to go and win the thing outright.
France looked terrible today,no plan no shape and no one seemed to be leading out there,don't think they'll be as bad when they arrive in Dublin but if we get a fast start with a couple of scores they'll want to get off the pitch.
For England I'd like to see same team as yesterday but with PoM and Henry swapping and Fitz on the bench instead of Earls.
If Kidney wants to show Ulster fans that he doesn't hate our players then Earls should receive the same treatment as Trimble, even though all Trimble done wrong in his last capped game was drop a high ball into touch.
:lol:

I am sure that Kidney has sleepless nights worrying about what Ulster fans think of him. At the end of the day, he has zero-accountability to the fans who pay to watch the team. This ain't no democracy lad.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

danthefan wrote:
CM11 wrote:
What 'new group'?

We scored Zebo's try because there were TWO decoy runners off BOD no less. Just gave him that split second of space he needed.

As opposed to that QF in which we gave the ball to SOB or Ferris and expected a miracle.
Yep. That was a very well executed try it has to be said. Even though Wales will be embarrassed to have conceded it.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Willie Falloon wrote:
His last capped game is irrelevant to his non selection for the squad.
He's hasn't been playing well enough.
NineInchNile

Post by NineInchNile »

Willie Falloon wrote:
Jesus Christ that's pathetic. Drop Earls because he wasn't quick enough to respond and cover Zebo's man when Zebo was taken out by a "decoy" runner. Are we going to drop Gilroy for his useless kicking, or Best for his wayward throwing too?
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Cuthbert was particularly at fault.
What 'new group'?

Yep. That was a very well executed try it has to be said. Even though Wales will be embarrassed to have conceded it.
Ireland's Call

Post by Ireland's Call »

Injury updates. All sound good.

All D"arse had was a bad dead leg. He'll be fine :thumbup: :o

Mike Ross, sever calf cramp. He'll be grand. :thumbup:

BOD and Heaslip, cuts. But both are fine :thumbup:

POM took a bang to the head as we discussed. Should be fine :thumbup:

Earls looks the most serious.

Kidney will delay announcing the team for a couple of days.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Kidney carries the can for tactics and selection. Unfortunately it has taken him about 3 seasons to arrive at a situation where tactics and selection are vaguely aligned. I would love to know what he thought our gameplan was for the Wales RWC game, and how ROG was the right call.

Anyway, there is some long-overdue youthful enthusiasm in the squad, and some very strong senior players. I don't know if we have the squad to take on the orcs but if we can get past them we could be going places. I hope to fudge we bring youngsters into the squad instead of reshuffling the backs.
Armchair_Superstar

NineInchNile wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Jesus Christ that's pathetic. Drop Earls because he wasn't quick enough to respond and cover Zebo's man when Zebo was taken out by a "decoy" runner. Are we going to drop Gilroy for his useless kicking, or Best for his wayward throwing too?
Its more a case of the guy playing 13 for a couple of seasons and still not being very good at it. Fair enough there were a lot of changes and shortages in personnel in the second half but it showed how badly things can go wrong when we lose our shape in defence.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Ireland's Call wrote:Injury updates. All sound good.

All D"arse had was a bad dead leg. He'll be fine :thumbup: :o

Mike Ross, sever calf cramp. He'll be grand. :thumbup:

BOD and Heaslip, cuts. But both are fine :thumbup:

POM took a bang to the head as we discussed. Should be fine :thumbup:

Earls looks the most serious.

Kidney will delay announcing the team for a couple of days.
Harsh but all good?
NineInchNile

Post by NineInchNile »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
NineInchNile wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Its more a case of the guy playing 13 for a couple of seasons and still not being very good at it. Fair enough there were a lot of changes and shortages in personnel in the second half but it showed how badly things can go wrong when we lose our shape in defence.
So Wales made a come back because Earls came on for D'Arcy, and it had nothing to do with them dominating the collisions when we tired and their size came more into play? It also had nothing to do with being down to 14 men for a quarter of the game? Come off it, I could say that we were put on the back foot when our best carrier was replaced by Henry; it would be just as salient a point.
Armchair_Superstar

NineInchNile wrote:
NineInchNile wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
So Wales made a come back because Earls came on for D'Arcy, and it had nothing to do with them dominating the collisions when we tired and their size came more into play? It also had nothing to do with being down to 14 men for a quarter of the game? Come off it, I could say that we were put on the back foot when our best carrier was replaced by Henry; it would be just as salient a point.
Don't overegg it Sappy.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

NineInchNile wrote:
NineInchNile wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
Nope, Earls made a schoolboy error that would see him dropped from an U14 team. The try he let in was instrumental in giving Wales belief that they could cross our line.
NineInchNile

Post by NineInchNile »

NineInchNile wrote:
NineInchNile wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote: If Kidney wants to show Ulster fans that he doesn't hate our players then Earls should receive the same treatment as Trimble, even though all Trimble done wrong in his last capped game was drop a high ball into touch.
Don't overegg it Sappy.
So we agree then. You're talking shite.