The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
MunsterMan!!!!!

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

CM11 wrote:
binge90 wrote:I'd just like to say fair f**king play to David Wallace. When that tackle went in I was distraught, because I said that that's his career done.

Shows how wrong I was to doubt the Cyborg. The man is a machine.

Fair play Wally. :thumbup:
+1 for not giving up but let's see him play before knowing if his Irish career is over. Hopefully it's not.

Re. Toner, what's happened elsewhere shouldn't detract from his achievement, which is damn good for his age. If you don't want to compare him to Nagle, how about POC who had made half as many appearances for Munster at the same age. Now I'm not for a second saying he's as good (I'm not that demented) while the fewer amount of games when POC started has to be taken into account but POC made his first Munster appearance nearly 2 years after Toner.

It is fashionable to not like Toner and he certainly has his negatives but IMO in the cameos he's had for Ireland he hasn't looked out of place while he rarely lets Leinster down. Given the age profile of our current locks and the lack of depth there it would be premature to write him off, especially given his experience to date and the steady improvement in his game.

I wouldn't be calling for him to start tomorrow but I disagree he would bring nothing and arguably a Ryan/Toner pairing would be a lot more balanced and worthwhile than DOC/Ryan even if there are better partners for Ryan before getting to Toner.

TBH bar we are stuck, I really don't what to see Wally in an Irish Jersey, giving his age profile, there is no point, he probably has one more season left in him. I am off to top myself after saying that!
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

SASP wrote:
CM11 wrote:
binge90 wrote:I'd just like to say fair f**king play to David Wallace. When that tackle went in I was distraught, because I said that that's his career done.

+1 for not giving up but let's see him play before knowing if his Irish career is over. Hopefully it's not.

Re. Toner, what's happened elsewhere shouldn't detract from his achievement, which is damn good for his age. If you don't want to compare him to Nagle, how about POC who had made half as many appearances for Munster at the same age. Now I'm not for a second saying he's as good (I'm not that demented) while the fewer amount of games when POC started has to be taken into account but POC made his first Munster appearance nearly 2 years after Toner.

It is fashionable to not like Toner and he certainly has his negatives but IMO in the cameos he's had for Ireland he hasn't looked out of place while he rarely lets Leinster down. Given the age profile of our current locks and the lack of depth there it would be premature to write him off, especially given his experience to date and the steady improvement in his game.

I wouldn't be calling for him to start tomorrow but I disagree he would bring nothing and arguably a Ryan/Toner pairing would be a lot more balanced and worthwhile than DOC/Ryan even if there are better partners for Ryan before getting to Toner.
Toner would probably play well with Tuohy.
Like wise Ryan and Tuohy would be my preffered pairing for Ireland.

As an Ulster man I can confirm that Toner is my favorite Leinster player.
Very underrated. Been excellent for his province in every game this season.

They are both 5s. It would be unbalanced.
SASP

Post by SASP »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:Wally back :D :D :D :D
Nagle on the bech as well :D

Munster: F Jones, D Hurley, S Tokula, L Mafi, S Zebo; S Deasy, D Williams; W du Preez, M Sherry, S Archer; B Holland, M O'Driscoll capt; Dave O'Callaghan, T O'Donnell, P Butler. Replacements: D Fogarty, M Horan, BJ Botha, I Nagle, D Wallace, C Sheridan, I Keatley, L O'Dea.

I've just realised that Murphy isn't there either hazzah,
IT is interesting that Jones is holding onto the FB position with Hurley going to the wing, also interesting that Deasy is starting what is Cathal Sheridan like?
Since no one has pointed it out yet. The most electrifying man in sports entertainment today is back too.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Hellraiser wrote:
SASP wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Toner would probably play well with Tuohy.
Like wise Ryan and Tuohy would be my preffered pairing for Ireland.

As an Ulster man I can confirm that Toner is my favorite Leinster player.
Very underrated. Been excellent for his province in every game this season.

I disagree. Tuohy has played 4 plenty of times.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
CM11 wrote:

TBH bar we are stuck, I really don't what to see Wally in an Irish Jersey, giving his age profile, there is no point, he probably has one more season left in him. I am off to top myself after saying that!
I think he would be invaluable on the tour to NZ if close to his best. After that, cut him.
Two 5s are better than two 4s, which is what we're currently playing.

Is there a view that Ryan is really a 5 though? I know when I first saw him I'd put him in that bracket but since then he's looked more like a 4. Especially at lineout time. Obviously his backrow experience puts him in the middle but I think like POC he could probably pair up with anyone who isn't an out and out 4.
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

Ryan would pair up well with most locks, but apparently he needs someone who can scrummage at TH and call a lineout for him.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

CM11 wrote:

If you want to compare PoC with Toner,by the time PoC was the same age Toner is now,he'd Captained Ireland,had played at a RWC and had been on a lions tour,Toner may have played more games by now but the quality is fairly different.
SASP

Post by SASP »

grimoald wrote:Ryan would pair up well with most locks, but apparently he needs someone who can scrummage at TH and call a lineout for him.
Tuohy does both those things
Mr. Very Popular

SASP wrote:
grimoald wrote:Ryan would pair up well with most locks, but apparently he needs someone who can scrummage at TH and call a lineout for him.
Ryan is calling the lineout this weekend,don't know if he's ever done it for Munster so it should be interesting to see how he goes.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
SASP wrote:
Ryan is calling the lineout this weekend,don't know if he's ever done it for Munster so it should be interesting to see how he goes.
If it was well drilled in training then it should be ok.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Wellcome back Wally.
Mr. Very Popular

SASP wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
SASP wrote:
PoC spent Tuesday with Ryan DoC and Best going over the calls and he seemed fairly confident in Ryan calling.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

Great to see Ryan starting. Glad that Murray's injury isn't as bad as expected. I hope Reddan plays as well as when he came on against Italy; he wasn't in great form for Leinster over the winter, so hope he can show he's back.

Shame that SOB is injured; showed real progress in the openside position; I think POM might struggle against Rennie (who has been very good). It's time to see that aggression that people go on about from POM; haven't seen it so far when he has come on (he hasn't had a lot of time, fair enough, he will have time now).
Hopefully Heaslip will step his game up as well, especially with POC out. Not doubting Best at all, but with POC and BOD out some of the senior players need to step up and speak up.

A bit worried about this one (like pretty much every match actually)...
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
CM11 wrote:

If you want to compare PoC with Toner,by the time PoC was the same age Toner is now,he'd Captained Ireland,had played at a RWC and had been on a lions tour,Toner may have played more games by now but the quality is fairly different.
You're wrong on a couple of things there but that's not the point. I wasn't for a second trying to say Toner was similar just that his provincial record compared to the best lock we've produced in a long time stands up to scrutiny. Others were saying Nagle doesn't count because of who he had ahead of him but POC had similar players to Toner ahead of him when he was first capped for Munster.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Ian Nagle out played Australias Rob Simmons in 2010.
In the RWC Simmons was on the bench for the Ireland match.

Shows the different levels of progression of the two.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

he wasn't in great form for Leinster over the winter, so hope he can show he's back.
I don't think Reddan was as in bad form as is being made out. Leinster as a whole haven't fired very often this season with the ball carriers not getting the yards they're used to getting which impacts our whole game across the board and negates some of Reddan's strengths.

The reason Reddan isn't a top class SH is because he really needs his pack to be going forward to get the best out of his skillset. They do that and he can speed up play sufficiently for the gaps to appear and tries to be scored but he is less useful playing a tighter, tactical game which is why we saw some errors and a mixed game from him against Aus at the WC. He still did well enough to guide us to the win and we were hardly carrying him but obviously in a slower game you're better served by a bigger SH who can have more impact in contact. If Scotland nail our carriers then I imagine the verdict on Reddan will be that he had an average game even if he himself did everything he could to the best of his abilities.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

SASP wrote:Ian Nagle out played Australias Rob Simmons in 2010.

While I totally agree with the sentiment in this statement, Simmons is kak as are most of the Ozzie locks, this show more how kak they really are! To be honest folks, lock is an area I aint too worried about I think we should be more worried about Front row
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
SASP wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
SASP wrote:
PoC spent Tuesday with Ryan DoC and Best going over the calls and he seemed fairly confident in Ryan calling.

Ehhhh, he's hardly likely to be caught by a photographer coming out of a bookies shop on the eve of the game, wearing a kilt, now is he?
DOB

Post by DOB »

redderneck wrote:

Ehhhh, he's hardly likely to be caught by a photographer coming out of a bookies shop on the eve of the game, wearing a kilt, now is he?
Not when he can just shout across the corridor to ROG's room anyway.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

CM11 wrote:
he wasn't in great form for Leinster over the winter, so hope he can show he's back.
I don't think Reddan was as in bad form as is being made out. Leinster as a whole haven't fired very often this season with the ball carriers not getting the yards they're used to getting which impacts our whole game across the board and negates some of Reddan's strengths.

The reason Reddan isn't a top class SH is because he really needs his pack to be going forward to get the best out of his skillset. They do that and he can speed up play sufficiently for the gaps to appear and tries to be scored but he is less useful playing a tighter, tactical game which is why we saw some errors and a mixed game from him against Aus at the WC. He still did well enough to guide us to the win and we were hardly carrying him but obviously in a slower game you're better served by a bigger SH who can have more impact in contact. If Scotland nail our carriers then I imagine the verdict on Reddan will be that he had an average game even if he himself did everything he could to the best of his abilities.
I didn't say Reddan has been in bad form, and the whole team's form and playing style obviously matters. But he has played better than how he was playing in December/January. The 30 minutes against Italy showed that he can be a great asset, so hopefully he can show that again.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

DOB wrote:
redderneck wrote:

Not when he can just shout across the corridor to ROG's room anyway.
Now that, DOB, is every bit as obvious :roll: as Paulie's expression of confidence. No slacking off there; it's a 6N w/end...
SASP

Post by SASP »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

While I totally agree with the sentiment in this statement, Simmons is kak as are most of the Ozzie locks, this show more how kak they really are! To be honest folks, lock is an area I aint too worried about I think we should be more worried about Front row
Well there are a few decent Loose Heads propping up now. Paddy Mac looks very promising and Jack McGrath is ok.
Hagan needs more games in the HC to see how good he is. Not convinced about Archer.
Munster are even shorter at LH than most to keep Horan around.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

SASP wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

Well there are a few decent Loose Heads propping up now. Paddy Mac looks very promising and Jack McGrath is ok.
Hagan needs more games in the HC to see how good he is. Not convinced about Archer.
Munster are even shorter at LH than most to keep Horan around.
I'll be interested to see how the Clongowes front row go in the Leinster academy. One of them being the real deal would improve things a lot.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

I reckon Adam Macklin will turn out to be a better prop than archer. Younger as well.

Btw, any links (that isn't from the rte webisite) for the u20s game tonight?
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

I reckon Adam Macklin will turn out to be a better prop than archer. Younger as well.

camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Willie Falloon wrote:I reckon Adam Macklin will turn out to be a better prop than archer. Younger as well.

It's on RTE 2 so there should be some nearer the kick off.

Surely you can tune into RTE in Tyrone ?
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Willie Falloon wrote:I reckon Adam Macklin will turn out to be a better prop than archer. Younger as well.

No RTE in your gaff Willie?!
CM11

Post by CM11 »

I'll be interested to see how the Clongowes front row go in the Leinster academy. One of them being the real deal would improve things a lot.
The last player I saw at school's level with the size and ability of Byrne (Edward) was Healy. Now admittedly I dip in and out as the years go by but I don't think I'm alone in thinking he has a successful international career ahead of him (if that indeed is what he wants).

The thing about lock is that scrummaging isn't as important (maybe 'as crucial' would be a better fit there) so we'll always get by as we have an abundance of athletic back 5 players in the country, it's the big bruising lumps with high workrate that are hard to come by. I back the spirit of the IRFU's policy re. foreign players especially in relation to prop as I think we are too quick to sign overseas props as squad cover, some with awful results where a home grown player would have been a) better and b) of more use to the national side.
Despot

Post by Despot »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
SASP wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
SASP wrote:

The hand of Axel....
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Gonna take the U20 talk here.

Willie, are you ever happy? It's not news but you again came across as caring only about Ulster and Ulster players on the U20 match thread. So what if Ward, a poor commentator, didn't mention Henderson? Could you not just be happy that it looks like we've another SH coming through and not complain about every last slight on Ulster players? Yes Henderson played well and if you don't have him in your 23 next season I want to see us signing him but that doesn't mean you can't congratulate another player who also played very well. For a guy just out of school he ain't bad.

Anyway, obviously Henderson and McGrath are the picks but there's a fair few in that team who look like they might have a future in the pro ranks. Problem with the backrow players is that there's little scope, certainly at Leinster, to give them pro gametime. Hanrahan, Jackson and Leyden all look like they've a long career ahead of them but one player I didn't see what the hype was all about was Farrell. To be fair he was well marked but he had little impact on the game for a player some were pushing to be fasttracked into the Irish setup. I'm going to leave the front row out of it as it's impossible to judge at this level.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:Gonna take the U20 talk here.

Willie, are you ever happy? It's not news but you again came across as caring only about Ulster and Ulster players on the U20 match thread. So what if Ward, a poor commentator, didn't mention Henderson? Could you not just be happy that it looks like we've another SH coming through and not complain about every last slight on Ulster players? Yes Henderson played well and if you don't have him in your 23 next season I want to see us signing him but that doesn't mean you can't congratulate another player who also played very well. For a guy just out of school he ain't bad.

Anyway, obviously Henderson and McGrath are the picks but there's a fair few in that team who look like they might have a future in the pro ranks. Problem with the backrow players is that there's little scope, certainly at Leinster, to give them pro gametime. Hanrahan, Jackson and Leyden all look like they've a long career ahead of them but one player I didn't see what the hype was all about was Farrell. To be fair he was well marked but he had little impact on the game for a player some were pushing to be fasttracked into the Irish setup. I'm going to leave the front row out of it as it's impossible to judge at this level.
I was impressed with the scrummaging, but as you say, I'm not sure where Scotland are.

It will be interesting to see if Schmidt gives McGrath a few runs next year.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote:

I was impressed with the scrummaging, but as you say, I'm not sure where Scotland are.

I'd have him as 3rd choice this year whatever about next year! Physcality is probably the main stumbling block but Cooney is not a good player.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

I'd have him as 3rd choice this year whatever about next year! Physcality is probably the main stumbling block but Cooney is not a good player.

Cooney is a diabolical player.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Putting an 18/19 yr old straight out of school into a pro SH position is asking fior said SH to have the shit beaten out of him, with a resultant loss in confidence.

Next year is soon enough.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Putting an 18/19 yr old straight out of school into a pro SH position is asking fior said SH to have the shit beaten out of him, with a resultant loss in confidence.

Its not physicality thats his problem, its his passing. Its fairly poor to be honest with you, the rest of his game is good though.

CM11 - I mentioned Ulster players because in my opinion they where amongest the best performers. I only tuned in from 20mins onwards so missed Laydens try, the backline looked fairly dangerous for about 10mins after I started to watch, but the then team lacked accuracy in and around the breakdown. Qualter and the Number 8 for all their bulk never looked lazy without the ball.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Met Fester tonight and think we all agreed what a shit coach Kidney is - shame he can't come on here to agree :lol:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Willie Falloon wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Its not physicality thats his problem, its his passing. Its fairly poor to be honest with you, the rest of his game is good though.

CM11 - I mentioned Ulster players because in my opinion they where amongest the best performers. I only tuned in from 20mins onwards so missed Laydens try, the backline looked fairly dangerous for about 10mins after I started to watch, but the then team lacked accuracy in and around the breakdown. Qualter and the Number 8 for all their bulk never looked lazy without the ball.
It ws slow in the last 20 mins of th first half, and I'll not make excuses for that. But worked well for the rest of the time he was on.

I thought Jackson showed how to control a game well, something that can't always be taught, but needs to work on his kicking.

Scotland were offside interfering with both ball and man all match - the team as a whole lacked the nous to deal with this.
LeinsterLion

Post by LeinsterLion »

Willie Falloon wrote:I mentioned Ulster players because in my opinion they where amongest the best performers.
I am shocked. Completely and totally shocked...

:P
apurelegend

Post by apurelegend »

Luckycharmer wrote:Met Fester tonight and think we all agreed what a shit coach Kidney is - shame he can't come on here to agree :lol:
No, that was Camroc you met!!!!!
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

apurelegend wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:Met Fester tonight and think we all agreed what a shit coach Kidney is - shame he can't come on here to agree :lol:
No, that was Camroc you met!!!!!
He also said ROG was shite - shame he can't come on here and verify this :nod: