The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
apurelegend

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by apurelegend »

Luckycharmer wrote:
apurelegend wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:Met Fester tonight and think we all agreed what a shit coach Kidney is - shame he can't come on here to agree :lol:
No, that was Camroc you met!!!!!
He also said ROG was shite - shame he can't come on here and verify this :nod:
Sounds like you had one too many Lucky. Time for the leaba I reckon!
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Not me, we stayed home tonight and got a takeaway from the new 'Siam - thai'. Very nice it was as well.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

apurelegend wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
apurelegend wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:Met Fester tonight and think we all agreed what a shit coach Kidney is - shame he can't come on here to agree :lol:
No, that was Camroc you met!!!!!
He also said ROG was shite - shame he can't come on here and verify this :nod:
Sounds like you had one too many Lucky. Time for the leaba I reckon!
Nope- that is what he said. He said Kidney was shite, Rog was shite and JJ Hanrahrahan will never amount to more than a hill of beans- He should really verify this.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

alliswell

Post by alliswell »

think Jill's being a bit harsh on Trimble there. thought he was the best of the back three yesterday.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

alliswell wrote:think Jill's being a bit harsh on Trimble there. thought he was the best of the back three yesterday.
Trimble is clumsy.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

lorcanoworms wrote:
alliswell wrote:think Jill's being a bit harsh on Trimble there. thought he was the best of the back three yesterday.
Trimble is clumsy.
he is, still played well yesterday. his timing of the tackle, if not the execution, was perfect.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

danthefan wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 46420.html

Jill Glennon's player ratings :lol: :lol:
A shocker gets you a 6, doing nothing wrong gets you a 7. Its like asking your missus for an objective assessment of how good looking her mates are - totally pointless.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

I've enjoyed our performances over the last few weeks... though, granted, I have lower expectations than most here...

It's been a real buzz watching Ferris and Kearney especially but there's plenty of other bonuses with Sexton starting to look at home, some decent back-up coming along and a good set-piece all positives..

There are issues; not least the selection problems and our defensive display against Wales but I'm looking forward to the English game... Exciting to see how we cope..
waguser

Post by waguser »

If England beat us in Twickers Lancaster will probably get the job.

and obviously I hope we beat the english and obviously Deccie needs a win,

but hypothetically, objectively, would we be bettr off throwing it so lanky gets the job?
harry 22

Post by harry 22 »

wtf was kidney doing bringing on that plonker TOL after 50 mins. was bad enough calling him up over Boss and Marshall.

that absolutely brainless effort going for the line just before the mcfadden try describes Tomas in a nutshell

i'd have preferred to see stringer coming on!
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

harry 22 wrote:that absolutely brainless effort going for the line just before the mcfadden try describes Tomas in a nutshell
I was certain that he'd be turned over after running away from his support. If the defence hadn't been tired then he probably would have been isolated.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

It's Kidney.

He earned his spurs coaching Munster schools rugby, a talent free zone if ever there was one, and he coaches as if his charges were still 18 year old Corkonians.

Kick and chase.

Boot and Bollock.

All effort, no flair.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:

A shocker gets you a 6, doing nothing wrong gets you a 7. Its like asking your missus for an objective assessment of how good looking her mates are - totally pointless.
I wouldn't say Best did nothing, he was carrying an injury tbf.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Kidney has nothing to do with TOL running off on his own from a ruck. :?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Nolanator wrote:
harry 22 wrote:that absolutely brainless effort going for the line just before the mcfadden try describes Tomas in a nutshell
I was certain that he'd be turned over after running away from his support. If the defence hadn't been tired then he probably would have been isolated.
Of all the positions on the pitch you don't want a guy wearing blinkers. I will be baffled for all time as to why he got 25 mins yesterday.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

I am just gonna say this, but maybe giving TOL a bit og game time was in relation to next week, imagine if reddan gets injured early next week.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:I am just gonna say this, but maybe giving TOL a bit og game time was in relation to next week, imagine if reddan gets injured early next week.
Having TOL having to play the majority of the match would be a disaster. Throw Marshall or someone in there with explicit instructions to whip the ball out to Sexton as fast as possible and stick to the script (provided box-kicking is removed from the script). TOL's performances of late should have him out of the Munster 9 jersey. Unfortunately.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:I am just gonna say this, but maybe giving TOL a bit og game time was in relation to next week, imagine if reddan gets injured early next week.
TOL shouldn't have been there to start with.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

if TOL has to have alot of game time next weekend then we're f**ked. Boss may be available again, if so he should be in.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

earl the beaver wrote:
TOL shouldn't have been there to start with.
Only other option was Marshall.
If something had happened to Eoin early on we would have had a complete rookie who had never played with Sexton trying to run the game,if Marshall had been in the training squads for a couple of weeks I'd have no problem with him warming the bench,but ToL was the only real option,and that pisses me off no end.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

alliswell wrote:
if TOL has to have alot of game time next weekend then we're f**ked. Boss may be available again, if so he should be in.
Boss' form has been up and down like crazy this season. He's had some very good games and some proper awful games. For impact for 20mins imo Marshall is possibly the best bet.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

That should be Boss or Marshall.
monners1969

Post by monners1969 »

pretty encouraged this 6 nations - without so many of the old guard......

I'm going to be controversial - but I can see Earls growing into the 13 shirt - he hasn't been shown up defensively and thought he had his best game at 13 yesterday.

Ryan was immense, the back row looked more balanced (despite me being a massive fan of SOB), ROG actually was mature when he came on (leaving Sexton to kick the goals) and Sexton at 12 is no real problem.

Kearney is back to fabulous form and trimble played very well.

We lead the try count and points difference..
all that said I had very low expectations!!!!

should be back for Augusta.....
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

Just checked and Nige is refereeing next week. :twisted:
Socco

Post by Socco »

Noticed that one alright.

Also on front of Sunday Times under photo of DOC 'Yesterday's MOM Donnacha O'Callaghan' and under photo of Mike Blair - 'Scotland's Mike Flair' :lol:
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

The ma has just rang me to tell me she ran into Brad Thorn earlier and had a chat with him :lol:

Nice fella apparently.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

danthefan wrote:The ma has just rang me to tell me she ran into Brad Thorn earlier and had a chat with him :lol:

Nice fella apparently.
Rule 1.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Floppykid wrote:
danthefan wrote:The ma has just rang me to tell me she ran into Brad Thorn earlier and had a chat with him :lol:

Nice fella apparently.
Rule 1.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

harry 22 wrote:wtf was kidney doing bringing on that plonker TOL after 50 mins. was bad enough calling him up over Boss and Marshall.

that absolutely brainless effort going for the line just before the mcfadden try describes Tomas in a nutshell

i'd have preferred to see stringer coming on!
While he probably would have called him up over Boss, that wasn't actually the case.

The only sense I can make of the substitutions is that Best had to come off so Kidney felt there was a leadership void and brought ROG on to captain the side. That would have left us with Reddan/ROG, a scary enough proposition defensively, so he brought on TOL to balance the 9/10 defence. The argument that giving him 25 mins in case he has to play next week is less valid IMO as the game was still in the balance at that stage and Reddan was at the heart of most of our good play.

A very scary thought just crossed my mind: that Kidney gave TOL such a long run with the view of starting him next week! You know, because we just have to have a physical presence at 9 above all else. Yikes. I'm sure I'm just paranoid though, right?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Sweet jesus, Stats. Don't go saying shit like that out loud in case Deccie hears you. :uhoh: :uhoh:
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

grimoald wrote:Just checked and Nige is refereeing next week. :twisted:

Awesome! :D
Ireland's Call

Post by Ireland's Call »

EOIN REDDAN 7.5/10

Brought entirely changed dynamic to team's tempo and for this reason alone will be seen by many, other than Kidney, as preferred starting option.
:lol: :thumbup:

And classic Franno :lol:

Stephen Ferris confirmed impressions that he is the best back-row player in Europe by a mile. I have to say I worship at his altar. Ferris did things at key moments which literally turned the game in favour of Ireland. He made 17 tackles, which is phenomenal considering the work he did last week. He was sweating gravy at all the breakdowns and was the prime mover in halting Scottish momentum dead and sending the ruck or the tackle backwards.

He had great sport seeking out David Denton, whether it was on management instruction or he decided to engage in his own private war against the Scottish No 8. Either way he was right. Scotland used their twin towers off their first or second breakdown. Denton is normally used in a wider role and the Scots expect to profit from the work that he does. However Ferris, clampet-like, attached himself to his running angles and you could see the Scot's spirit zap every time Ferris decided to engage him. This guy has the prodigies of valour and is becoming, if he is not already, Ireland's most important player.
Last edited by Ireland's Call on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ireland's Call

Post by Ireland's Call »

I'm concerned with the penalty situation. 14 against us on Saturday? f**king hell. Add in the French total, how we were reffed against Wales and we are doing something wrong. All good sides should be living on the edge at the breakdown, but we are giving away too many penalties.

Plus the error count is still frustrating. A bad kick, a knock on, a missed lineout and we punish ourselves too often.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Ireland's Call wrote:I'm concerned with the penalty situation. 14 against us on Saturday? f**king hell. Add in the French total, how we were reffed against Wales and we are doing something wrong. All good sides should be living on the edge at the breakdown, but we are giving away too many penalties.

Plus the error count is still frustrating. A bad kick, a knock on, a missed lineout and we punish ourselves too often.

We are watched more closely than other sides for breakdown shenanigans. We do however put ourselves under pressure.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Ireland's Call wrote:I'm concerned with the penalty situation. 14 against us on Saturday? f**king hell. Add in the French total, how we were reffed against Wales and we are doing something wrong. All good sides should be living on the edge at the breakdown, but we are giving away too many penalties.

I agree on the penalties but I thought our error count was quite low against Scotland. Ok some of the kicking could constitute errors if you want but that comes down to opinion more than anything else (other than the obvious kick to a Scot in his 22 with no-one near him but even that worked out for us!).

Sexton's kick to Bowe - yay or nay? Is it one of those it was only the right call if it worked? I was a bit upset we got nothing out of that passage of play, probably our most fluid attack from deep this season.
Ireland's Call

Post by Ireland's Call »

I see ROG hit some poor kid in the face with a ball while practicing kicking :lol: Gave him a nice bloody nose.

Gave him a signed ball to say sorry though.

Larry Murphy

Post by Larry Murphy »

camroc1 wrote:
That should be Boss or Marshall.
Boss should do marvellously alright, seeing as he's back in NZ - anyway don't think he's been so good this season. Marshall definitely has reason to feel annoyed
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Hellraiser wrote:

We are watched more closely than other sides for breakdown shenanigans. We do however put ourselves under pressure.

While that maybe the case, but there are still definitely 3/4 stupid penalties we are still giving away. IF we cut them out or get a bit cleverer, we'll get that under double digits which should be at least the target
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Always liked franno :lol: