The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
DOB

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

binge90 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:I hope, but don't expect, Kiddenme picks McF at 12.

Sexton and McF rushing the English 10/12 channel would be good.

Earls would have BR help if the ball ever got to Tuilagi. And I'm not sure how Farrell would deal with Sextons physicality.
Did you see Farrell smash Harinordoquy on Sunday? He'll deal just fine.
Yup. His Dad'd disown him if he couldn't handle a 6'2, 14 stone weakling.

As for Keet, if he needs Fez to nursemaid him, he has no business being there. I don't think he'll need a nursemaid a la ROG, but he will need to be in Tuilagi's face early and close him down every time.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

DOB wrote:
binge90 wrote:

Earls would have BR help if the ball ever got to Tuilagi. And I'm not sure how Farrell would deal with Sextons physicality.

As for Keet, if he needs Fez to nursemaid him, he has no business being there. I don't think he'll need a nursemaid a la ROG, but he will need to be in Tuilagi's face early and close him down every time.
Maybe, but I don't think he is good when he is rushed to make decisions.
DOB

Post by DOB »

camroc1 wrote:
DOB wrote:
binge90 wrote:

Farrell or Keet?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

DOB wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
DOB wrote:
binge90 wrote:

Farrell or Keet?
Farrell.
DOB

Post by DOB »

With Farrell, yes, I can see one of our backrow or maybe Reddan (we definitely don't want him hanging back in the defensive line) detailed to rush him and force a decision. He might even go with one of those solo chip-and-chases that seem to have been his go-to in tight spots, and I'd say Bowe and Trimble will be looking out for them.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I'm going to cut Keith some slack against Tuilagi as he'll (Manu) get at least one bollocking break against any centre.
If he can contain him for the most part however it'll be a great day at the office defensively and Keet will have proven a lot of us wrong about his capability at centre.
Ireland's Call

Post by Ireland's Call »

Interesting piece on The Whiff of Cordite Rugby blog...
Ireland's attack: now with 40% more penetration

Before the tournament, the one thing we asked - begged! - for was to see Ireland's attack improve. Credit to Deccie and Kiss; they have delivered. Ireland look a threat with ball in hand now, and the flat, lateral play that characterised Ireland over the last couple of seasons has been largely dispatched - 13 tries in four games, and no fewer than two in any match, tells its own story. It said a lot that even after a nervy, ponderous start, Ireland were willing to go to the corner with an early penalty, and take the game to the Scots. It's been a collective effort, but two players who deserve particular credit are Rob Kearney and Keith Earls. Kearney's counter-attacking has been a joy to watch, and Keith Earls has shown himself to be up to the job at 13.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Ireland's Call wrote:Interesting piece on The Whiff of Cordite Rugby blog...
Ireland's attack: now with 40% more penetration

Before the tournament, the one thing we asked - begged! - for was to see Ireland's attack improve. Credit to Deccie and Kiss; they have delivered. Ireland look a threat with ball in hand now, and the flat, lateral play that characterised Ireland over the last couple of seasons has been largely dispatched - 13 tries in four games, and no fewer than two in any match, tells its own story. It said a lot that even after a nervy, ponderous start, Ireland were willing to go to the corner with an early penalty, and take the game to the Scots. It's been a collective effort, but two players who deserve particular credit are Rob Kearney and Keith Earls. Kearney's counter-attacking has been a joy to watch, and Keith Earls has shown himself to be up to the job at 13.
So we are better on attack without Gaffney?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Lightship wrote:POM did well but I think allowances will be made for Scotland not playing their best game and POM will bench. He will be trusted more after that performance and I wouldn't be surprised to see him come on around 50/55 mins.
I doubt SOB will be at full fitness if he spent most of last week in hospital getting antibiotics. He trained yesterday and is clear of the infection by all accounts, so now he just needs to prepare for the game.
Can't see him lasting 80 if he doesn't have to though.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

OK it's not rugby but I'll post it here.
What the hell kicked off the Irish-Aussie stuff overnight?
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

I can see Ferris been told to smash Tuilagi early on, he has been defending out in the centre channels recently alot and either him or Earls been the shooter, I can also see Sexton maybe shooting out a bit on Farrell, I have really be paying too much attention to where Farrell and the English backline set up, missed the France match, does he sit deep?
Conn

Post by Conn »

Nolanator wrote:OK it's not rugby but I'll post it here.
1. an advertisement in gumtree for a brickie in Perth said no irish need apply or words to that effect

2. Irish Aussie rules player got beaten up in Melbourne
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Conn wrote:
Nolanator wrote:OK it's not rugby but I'll post it here.
1. an advertisement in gumtree for a brickie in Perth said no irish need apply or words to that effect

2. Irish Aussie rules player got beaten up in Melbourne
Didn't yer-man get beaten up weeks ago?

They're probably still smarting after the reaming they got from us in the RWC.
SASP

Post by SASP »

POM thinks he is more suited to 7.

Code: Select all

Even the way I am built it would suit me to play seven.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 04099.html
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

SOB starting, POM bench, all else the same
CambridgeFergal

Post by CambridgeFergal »

CM11 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:There's actually no guarantee that SOB will be fit to start at the weekend. On Off The Ball they said he's been in hospital all week and has lost a few kilos in weight. Neither himself, Best (rib) nor Psycho (shoulder) trained today.
If he's not fully fit I'd certainly back benching him and starting POM.
If SOB's been in hospital for a week and lost a few kilos, he can't be 100% for the weekend. Not a chance.
Might be good for half an hour from the bench.
POM's emergence means it's not the worst news.

Edit: and then I see the team. OK, I'll have to trust they know what they're doing...

Think if we don't leak the soft tries France did at the weekend, we'll be good enough to beat England.
binge90

Post by binge90 »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:There's actually no guarantee that SOB will be fit to start at the weekend. On Off The Ball they said he's been in hospital all week and has lost a few kilos in weight. Neither himself, Best (rib) nor Psycho (shoulder) trained today.
If SOB's been in hospital for a week and lost a few kilos, he can't be 100% for the weekend. Not a chance.

Edit: and then I see the team. OK, I'll have to trust they know what they're doing...

Think if we don't leak the soft tries France did at the weekend, we'll be good enough to beat England.
Hang on, who are we calling Psycho now? Ryan?
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

binge90 wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Psycho, WTF?

:uhoh: Munster fans
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Willie Falloon wrote:
binge90 wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Psycho, WTF?

Aahhhh Willie, sure we're only having the craic!
CambridgeFergal

Willie Falloon wrote:
binge90 wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Psycho, WTF?

Ferris is playing like a God. He's singlehandedly making me really nervous about Easter Sunday in Thomond.
I'm a Munsterman.

Satisfied now? :)
DOB

Post by DOB »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Couple of slices of his Nan's batch bread and he'll be grand, so he will.
CambridgeFergal

camroc1 wrote:Having watched the Bowe non try again on Against the Head, I am convinced it was a try.

Can any ref discuss.
Held up over the line, 5m scrum to Ireland.

Foley actually had a good quote on this today:

“Then we go to the Tommy Bowe incident,” said Foley of the disallowed try by television match official Giulio De Santis. “If he [De Santis] has ruled that Tommy’s in the dead ball area, he’s off the field of play, well then it is a scrum to us because he doesn’t have to release the ball. But if he [De Santis] deems Tommy’s in the field of play, well then it should be a penalty to us because he’s been tackled and the tackler hasn’t released him so he can place the ball. Yet we get penalised.
Last edited by CambridgeFergal on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Having watched the Bowe non try again on Against the Head, I am convinced it was a try.

Can any ref discuss.
Ball wasn't over the line until the 2nd movement. Morrison was and about 80% of Bowes body.
SASP

Post by SASP »

CambridgeFergal wrote:

Can any ref discuss.
and yet we got a penalty given against us.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

SASP wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:

Can any ref discuss.
It was a moral try to go with our moral grandslam.
CambridgeFergal

Willie Falloon wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:

Can any ref discuss.
Ball wasn't over the line until the 2nd movement. Morrison was and about 80% of Bowes body.
So then it was a penalty for not releasing the tackled player?
Although that seems absurd as the defending player must be allowed to prevent a try, if he can.
Therefore, not releasing is legal, but it's not a double movement, as the ball has not been placed by the attacker, and it can't be holding on after the tackle as the player is over the goalline (but the penalty was given for "double movement" anyway)? Held up over the line seems like a precise description of what occurred.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:

Can any ref discuss.
Although that seems absurd as the defending player must be allowed to prevent a try, if he can.
Therefore, not releasing is legal, but it's not a double movement, as the ball has not been placed by the attacker, and it can't be holding on after the tackle as the player is over the goalline (but the penalty was given for "double movement" anyway)? Held up over the line seems like a precise description of what occurred.
I'm fuckin' outraged.
Let's burn down the Scottish embassy.
18ChinsOfChinatown

Post by 18ChinsOfChinatown »

DOB wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Couple of slices of his Nan's batch bread and he'll be grand, so he will.
Well it seems as though SOB is back with POM being demoted to the bench. The rest of the team stays as it was against Scotland.
Last edited by 18ChinsOfChinatown on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Floppykid wrote:
SASP wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:

Can any ref discuss.
It was a moral try to go with our moral grandslam.
Oh yeah. Of course.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Definitely a record in consistency of selection I'd say.

Not one change unless forced!
DOB

Post by DOB »

Boxcar Ira wrote:Definitely a record in consistency of selection I'd say.

Not one change unless forced!
The only unforced change from the quarter-final is Sexton for ROG.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CambridgeFergal wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:

Can any ref discuss.
Except it wasn't held up, as Bowe grounded it !
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

D'arcy again x(
Bock

Post by Bock »

danthefan wrote:
Bock wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Bock wrote:
Don't get the RTE commentary around here - is Hook as wise as I am when it comes to Heaslip?
You only had to read the last couple of pages you spoofer! Or see the Indo home page.

Anyway, not sure why Heaslip's decision to tap that led to a try is any different to the multitude of tap and gos or kicks tot he corner from penos which work out. If you score it was the right decision.
If you go all in pre-flop on a 2-7, and flop a full house, was it the right decision? Mad yoke
I didn't realise Scotland automatically won the game if we hadn't scored subsequent to the tap and go.

What a retarded analogy.
Ah Dan, I've missed you dearly. How's things in the swamp?
Despot

Post by Despot »

camroc1 wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
CambridgeFergal wrote:

Can any ref discuss.
Except it wasn't held up, as Bowe grounded it !
this is the bit I wonder about- the lenght of time allowed. Ive seen plenty of penalties blown for players not rolling away fast enough even though they had moved in a lot shorter than it took Bowe to ground the ball. Is there a time/guidance that the ref has to go by?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Despot wrote: this is the bit I wonder about- the lenght of time allowed. Ive seen plenty of penalties blown for players not rolling away fast enough even though they had moved in a lot shorter than it took Bowe to ground the ball. Is there a time/guidance that the ref has to go by?
Foley's take is pretty clearcut. Tackle in field then tackler has to release and allow ball carrier place, penalty against tackler if he doesn't. Tackle over the line and laws don't apply, ball is held up, 5m scrum. If there were another 4 bodies from either side involved it would have been a clearcut 'held up, 5m scrum'.
Despot

Post by Despot »

CM11 wrote:
Despot wrote: this is the bit I wonder about- the lenght of time allowed. Ive seen plenty of penalties blown for players not rolling away fast enough even though they had moved in a lot shorter than it took Bowe to ground the ball. Is there a time/guidance that the ref has to go by?
Foley's take is pretty clearcut. Tackle in field then tackler has to release and allow ball carrier place, penalty against tackler if he doesn't. Tackle over the line and laws don't apply, ball is held up, 5m scrum. If there were another 4 bodies from either side involved it would have been a clearcut 'held up, 5m scrum'.
Can't argue with that. When does the decision that it is held up click in though? If the , in this case, two players are still actively wrestling is it properly held up? Held up to me means that the ball is stuck off the ground, is stuck and is unlikely to be changed quickly.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Despot wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Can't argue with that. When does the decision that it is held up click in though? If the , in this case, two players are still actively wrestling is it properly held up? Held up to me means that the ball is stuck off the ground, is stuck and is unlikely to be changed quickly.
I have no idea how long you get to place. Wasn't Bowe awarded a similar type of try against Italy under similar circumstances years ago? Think the Italians are still going on about it.
Despot

Post by Despot »

CM11 wrote:
Despot wrote:
CM11 wrote:
I have no idea how long you get to place. Wasn't Bowe awarded a similar type of try against Italy under similar circumstances years ago? Think the Italians are still going on about it.
The Italians will do that, not like us!
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

CM11 wrote:
Despot wrote:
CM11 wrote:
His first 6N I think.
IIRC he got bundled over the line by a few Italian tacklers and the ref awarded the try straight away despite it being highly unlikely that he could actually see anything. I'd be pretty annoyed if a try like that was awarded against my team.
Think the Italians were so annoyed because we only beat them by about 5 points that year.