The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
camroc1

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by camroc1 »

redderneck wrote:The clubs will not be happy. A few of them are quite attached to having the odd big name attached to them should the need be there to parachute them in for a crucial game, subject to it not being against Munster's best interests. There is value in younger/returning from rehab players getting AIL time too.
Why the plural ?

We all know you're talking about Con.

Will there be a Cork backlash to this demotion ? - they're chippy enough feckers at the best of times.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

camroc1 wrote:
redderneck wrote:The clubs will not be happy. A few of them are quite attached to having the odd big name attached to them should the need be there to parachute them in for a crucial game, subject to it not being against Munster's best interests. There is value in younger/returning from rehab players getting AIL time too.
Why the plural ?

We all know you're talking about Con.

Will there be a Cork backlash to this demotion ? - they're chippy enough feckers at the best of times.
Lord only knows camroc. I was surprised at Hellraiser's OP tbh. I'd heard that although mooted (happens reasonably frequently) any decision had been put on the back burner. Also, the last time I'd heard it was up for a halfway serious consideration, the leaning at the time was towards Cork. I've not seen it announced officially anywhere either.

Anyway. As I said - could care less, so long as the facilities are top-notch.

If it gives players more recovery time, better quality recovery time, more quality time with families, more quality time together on unit skills training etc. then it's got to be a good move.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Did I hear right that Joe Schmidt brings every player available to him that inlcudes Senior or academy player into the video sessions so that everyone learns from a players mistake and not just the senior players?
etherman

Post by etherman »

SASP wrote:Did I hear right that Joe Schmidt brings every player available to him that inlcudes Senior or academy player into the video sessions so that everyone learns from a players mistake and not just the senior players?
They tried the same at Munster but the DOC showreel was costing them a fortune in overtime.
redrebel

Post by redrebel »

etherman wrote:
SASP wrote:Did I hear right that Joe Schmidt brings every player available to him that inlcudes Senior or academy player into the video sessions so that everyone learns from a players mistake and not just the senior players?
They tried the same at Munster but the DOC showreel was costing them a fortune in overtime.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :((
SASP

Post by SASP »

redrebel wrote:
etherman wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :((
If he does it shows as no matter who plays they all try to play the same way. Some are obviously better than others of course.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Are you saying that it's not a "Tremenjus" idea?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

redderneck wrote:Anyway. As I said - could care less, so long as the facilities are top-notch.
So, hold on. You do care where the base is?
DOB

Post by DOB »

I've driven an hour and a half to get to club training before, but I wouldn't commute an hour and a half for my day job; I'd move to a closer neighbourhood. Munster is paying these lads' wages. If they want to drive back down and play for Dolphin or Con on weekends when Munster don't need them, I'm sure nobody'll have a problem, but making that trek every day or every other day is silly
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Nolanator wrote:
redderneck wrote:Anyway. As I said - could care less, so long as the facilities are top-notch.
I care what the base HAS, not where it IS.

I'm open to correction, but right now, I believe UL Arena to provide the best facilities. That may - likely will I would imagine, change in time. When that time comes it might make sense to review the operating base.

Let's face it. I kinda like the idea of a Fosset's Circus caravan train meandering around the byroads of the province, bringing the passion to those in most need. Indeed, I'm humming "we got us a great big convoy" as I type and picturing Cooder in his natural habitat, hooning around in a red TransAm riding shotgun for Axel up in the cab of an artic smashing through roadblocks. Somewhere in the distance there's a Toyota Corolla with a magnum-toting Liam Toland and his pet ape Quinnie looking after recruitment.

We're all jus' travellers on a journey man.
binge90

Post by binge90 »

redderneck wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I care what the base HAS, not where it IS.

I'm open to correction, but right now, I believe UL Arena to provide the best facilities. That may - likely will I would imagine, change in time. When that time comes it might make sense to review the operating base.

Let's face it. I kinda like the idea of a Fosset's Circus caravan train meandering around the byroads of the province, bringing the passion to those in most need. Indeed, I'm humming "we got us a great big convoy" as I type and picturing Cooder in his natural habitat, hooning around in a red TransAm riding shotgun for Axel up in the cab of an artic smashing through roadblocks. Somewhere in the distance there's a Toyota Corolla with a magnum-toting Liam Toland and his pet ape Quinnie looking after recruitment.

We're all jus' travellers on a journey man.
Living the dream. BTW, I think Nols was just being a pedant with regards to your wording of "could care less".

That's pretty profound though.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I was just being a pedant. Didn't expect such a responce. :lol:
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Nolanator wrote:I was just being a pedant. Didn't expect such a responce. :lol:
Ahem. Response. :P
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Jesus, just read what Kearney said. :lol:
Some balls on him. Love it.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Floppykid wrote:Jesus, just read what Kearney said. :lol:
Some balls on him. Love it.
Talking ourselves up before the last two Welsh games worked out well, didn't it?
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 04106.html

Has this quite frankly bizarre article by Thornley been done yet? What the fudge is he smoking?
SASP

Post by SASP »

danthefan wrote:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 04106.html

Has this quite frankly bizarre article by Thornley been done yet? What the fudge is he smoking?
There is a joke there but its just too easy.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

His paragraph on bonus points shows how much he lurks on here.

Hi Gerry, less of the tosh and more of the KIDNEY OUT please.
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

redderneck wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
grimoald wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:Munster will have a single training base from next season at UL by all accounts. The proposed permanent ending of Rag Week ties in with it.
Wow, that is a big deal and good news (particularly in terms of attracting a top class coach), but it will piss a lot of MF types off. Let the Cork plum moan

It was always going to happen, but I'm very surprised they haven't given players a year or so's notice seeing as a lot of them would look to move. It would be a right fucker if one of the younger lads from Cork had just bought a house.

Plenty of people commute an hour and a half to work.
Bollocks. Precious few of them have the training efforts, dietary requirements and rest/sleep requirements of pro athletes involved in such an attritional contact sport as rugby.

It's high fecking time it happened. I've said this on here before, but I've seen the state of a Munster player who was a neighbour at the time, pulling himself out of his car like an arthritic pensioner (quelle surprise, say the Leinster wits!) having driven back up from Cork after a particularly hard day's training. His Mrs virtually had to help him inside. Talking to him a few days later and he was not a happy camper about the set-up. Said it was THE single most unprofessional element by a country mile of a Munster set-up which in most other respects was spot-on or getting there. He was an import and he knew what he was talking about.

Gaffney made moves in this regard; bringing them more frequently to Limerick and whether in Limerick or Cork, having them stay over in hotels in blocks of two or three days, so guys would have time together rather than be commuting to & from on a daily basis.

I've been advocating this for yonks. Whether it was a Limerick or Cork base; doesn't matter a shit although no doubt there'll be knicker-twisting of Justin Bieber concert audience proportions on MF about it. Could have been Abbeyfeale for all I care; so long as the training facilities were top notch. Ease the squad into it. Don't force older guys to move. Just ensure all newly contracted players, youngsters coming up, new recruits from outside, sign up to being based within say, 30km, of the designated training base; then designate one.
Yeah, madness having people driving long distances after training.

I'm sure the squad could do a few blocks of days in Cork a season and just stay in hotels too.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

redderneck wrote:
Nolanator wrote:I was just being a pedant. Didn't expect such a responce. :lol:
Ahem. Response. :P
Arse biscuits. Hoisted by my own retard. :frown:
He Man Rugger Pints

Post by He Man Rugger Pints »

SASP wrote:
danthefan wrote:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 04106.html

There is a joke there but its just too easy.
:lol:
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Also did I hear correctly that Donnacha Ryan has been nominated for player of the tournament? What the shit?
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

danthefan wrote:Also did I hear correctly that Donnacha Ryan has been nominated for player of the tournament? What the shit?
anyone who received a man of the match award gets a nomination. thanks for that one Donal Lenihan.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

alliswell wrote:
danthefan wrote:Also did I hear correctly that Donnacha Ryan has been nominated for player of the tournament? What the shit?
anyone who received a man of the match award gets a nomination. thanks for that one Donal Lenihan.
That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.
Despot

Post by Despot »

danthefan wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Dont worry. Jonny sexton got one as well so he's in the mix- say thanks to Ralph keyes.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Well you can knock the one base rumour on the head. Ian Costello just told a mate it's bullshit.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Despot wrote:
danthefan wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Dont worry. Jonny sexton got one as well so he's in the mix- say thanks to Ralph keyes.
This place is going to be lots of fun when Fez isn't even eligible...
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Can you all shut the fudge up- King Girve of Swervington is on Newstalk
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

EverReady wrote:Can you all shut the fudge up- King Girve of Swervington is on Newstalk
Did he mention meeting me yesterday? I could see how awe struck he was.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
EverReady wrote:Can you all shut the fudge up- King Girve of Swervington is on Newstalk
He mentioned he had reached a milestone and raised his 100th person from the dead- were you dead yesterday?
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Hellraiser wrote:Well you can knock the one base rumour on the head. Ian Costello just told a mate it's bullshit.
Good to hear. We couldn't be after having fewer obstacles to be overcome now, could we? Wouldn't be de Munster Way.

Sooner or later, it will happen.

I suspect it might take us being banjaxed with nothing to look forward to but more of the same before it ever becomes a 'live option.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

EverReady wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
He mentioned he had reached a milestone and raised his 100th person from the dead- were you dead yesterday?
Can't remember anything that happened in my life before meeting Girve.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Johne Murphy, Duncan Williams, John Ryan, Marcus Horan and Sean Scanlon are the latest of the current Munster squad who have signed contract extensions. Murphy, Williams and prop Ryan have penned two year deals while Horan and Scanlon have agreed one year extensions.
In addition, JJ Hanrahan (centre), Dave O’Callaghan (wing-forward), Luke O’Dea (wing), Cathal Sheridan (scrum-half) and Alan Cotter (prop) progress from Academy to Development contracts.

The latest announcements come at the end of a busy week that started with news that Donnacha Ryan, Niall Ronan, Denis Hurley, Billy Holland and Tommy O’Donnell had all agreed two year deals. Two others whose contracts were due for renewal, Wian du Preez, Doug Howlett, had last month agreed new deals.

A further interesting addition to the Munster squad is former Ulster Academy, Ulster Ravens and Ireland U19 wing-forward Sean Dougal who joins from Rotherham Titans on a one year contract.

The 22 year old played against Munster in the semi-final of the B&I Cup in April 2010 but subsequenly suffered a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined till this season when he's been a regular in the Titans side.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Contract News

16 March 2012, 9:20 am
By Pat Geraghty

Johne Murphy, Duncan Williams, John Ryan, Marcus Horan and Sean Scanlon are the latest of the current Munster squad who have signed contract extensions.
Murphy, Williams and prop Ryan have penned two year deals while Horan and Scanlon have agreed one year extensions.

In addition, JJ Hanrahan (centre), Dave O’Callaghan (wing-forward), Luke O’Dea (wing), Cathal Sheridan (scrum-half) and Alan Cotter (prop) progress from Academy to Development contracts.

The latest announcements come at the end of a busy week that started with news that Donnacha Ryan, Niall Ronan, Denis Hurley, Billy Holland and Tommy O’Donnell had all agreed two year deals. Two others whose contracts were due for renewal, Wian du Preez, Doug Howlett, had last month agreed new deals.

A further interesting addition to the Munster squad is former Ulster Academy, Ulster Ravens and Ireland U19 wing-forward Sean Dougal who joins from Rotherham Titans on a one year contract.

The 22 year old played against Munster in the semi-final of the B&I Cup in April 2010 but subsequenly suffered a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined till this season when he's been a regular in the Titans side.

Williams, Horan and Ronan are depressing. The promotion of the Academy lads is very positive especially Cotter who is probably the best scrummaging TH in Munster. This Dougal fella is a strange one though.
SASP

Post by SASP »

His profile

http://www.rotherhamrugby.co.uk/squad/63/sean-dougall/

Favorite ground is Thomond. Imagine that
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Hellraiser wrote:
Contract News

By Pat Geraghty

Johne Murphy, Duncan Williams, John Ryan, Marcus Horan and Sean Scanlon are the latest of the current Munster squad who have signed contract extensions.
Murphy, Williams and prop Ryan have penned two year deals while Horan and Scanlon have agreed one year extensions.

Williams, Horan and Ronan are depressing. The promotion of the Academy lads is very positive especially Cotter who is probably the best scrummaging TH in Munster. This Dougal fella is a strange one though.

Williams is grand as back up, ditto Horan, most depressing are Ronan and Johne Murphy
CM11

Post by CM11 »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Contract News

By Pat Geraghty

Williams is grand as back up, ditto Horan, most depressing are Ronan and Johne Murphy
Ronan was doing well for you this season. All depends where he is in the pecking order but he's a decent squad player.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Whoever is hired as coach won't have much say in the squad by the looks of it. It would have made more sense to try and get the coach fairly soon after McGahan announced he was leaving so that they could have some input into the contracts.
SASP

Post by SASP »

CM11 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Contract News

By Pat Geraghty

Ronan was doing well for you this season. All depends where he is in the pecking order but he's a decent squad player.
I dont get it either.
Munster fans what have you got against Ronan?
Despot

Post by Despot »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Contract News

By Pat Geraghty

Ronan was very good in the HEC games this year. He's earned his contract.