So

has kidney resigned yet lads?
SASP

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by SASP »

redrebel wrote:
LeinsterLion wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
redrebel wrote:Whats the story with Boss?
Hadnt heard that he was home in NZ.
He's worse than Paul Marshall anyway.
But he's better than TOL.
:nod:
Still not answering my question thou lads...
Not much is known but its to do with his family there.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Exiled in D4 wrote:In one of his latest columns, Demented Mole mentions that Sean O'Brien was in hospital with Colitis in the lead up to the Scottish game. At the time, it was reported as an infected toe. Does anyone know which one it was? If he has Colitis, it could help explain the lack of energy in his recent performances. Lewis Moody has suffered from it and Darren Fletcher has taken a break from football due to it.

http://dementedmole.com/2012/03/19/matc ... -omission/
Cellulitis which is a skin infection.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

waguser wrote:So

has kidney resigned yet lads?
There's a job vacancy in Munster. I would imagine that he would be the dream candidate.
redrebel

Post by redrebel »

SASP wrote:
redrebel wrote:
LeinsterLion wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
:nod:
Still not answering my question thou lads...
Not much is known but its to do with his family there.
:( Poor bastard.
Exiled in D4

Post by Exiled in D4 »

themaddog wrote:
Exiled in D4 wrote:In one of his latest columns, Demented Mole mentions that Sean O'Brien was in hospital with Colitis in the lead up to the Scottish game. At the time, it was reported as an infected toe. Does anyone know which one it was? If he has Colitis, it could help explain the lack of energy in his recent performances. Lewis Moody has suffered from it and Darren Fletcher has taken a break from football due to it.

http://dementedmole.com/2012/03/19/matc ... -omission/
Cellulitis which is a skin infection.
Cheers themaddog, thanks for the correction.
soyhmf

Post by soyhmf »

That's the best bit of rugby journalism I've read in ages from whiff. WHY THE fudge can no one say boo to a f**king goose in this country? Not just about rugby, about EVERY f**king thing. "Wear the green jersey lads".

We need some f**king dissent, it's healthy.

GT if you are reading this, get your finger out and show some f**king integrity.
Ireland's Call

Post by Ireland's Call »

LeinsterLion wrote:
Ireland's Call wrote: Yeah, the bulk of what is written is almost disturbingly accurate. It is said on this bored many times, but to see it published like that is an eye opener.
It's just a blog though, isn't it? I mean, this isn't the national press. It's of no more relevance, in the grand scheme of things, than us saying it (though it probably gets a bigger audience who aren't put off by all the madness (what the fudge is going on here lately?!) and liberal use of the word plum). That's the problem - we say it all the time, well written pieces by these bloggers say it, but the media never touch these issues. As said by DOB - THIS is how you do your job.

You and I are going to have a serious falling out. :x

It's a blog of course, but the line between the print media and popular blogs is a thin one these days. Spread the word on this, link it to FB, send it to friends etc

Only Franno really has the balls these days to say what he thinks. And a fair few times he can talk shit as well. But at least he doesn't hide. Toland has now joined Gerry in towing the line.
soyhmf

Post by soyhmf »

That slithery fecker frankie sheehan for example absolutely dismissed the notion that somehow our performance against England might have been the worst under Deccie.

Then he picked Hartley on team of the tourney, and then started going on about how Cronin should start.

While I have no problem with either of those notions in principle (although Best clearly deserves his place) I really wondered if Slithery was acting as Cronin's agent, of there was some other back story. He seemed to have it in for Best anyway, and for no apparent reason when there are so many other targets. Not a word from any panelest about TO'L for example.

It's bullshit.
Shroud Taylor

Post by Shroud Taylor »

anyone here read the rugby forum on boards?..delusion is not the word, the talk today is Healy, Best, Ross, O'Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, Sexton, Bod, Bowe and Kearney are all in contention to start for the Lions. Plus many more in contention to tour.
I think based on our 6N form, and the welsh GS, the English revival, plus the likes of Gray and Denton, we may see no more than 6 or 7 irish on tour, with maybe 2 starters, unless there is a big improvment in performance
DOB

Post by DOB »

LeinsterLion wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
So am I.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Shroud Taylor wrote:anyone here read the rugby forum on boards?..delusion is not the word, the talk today is Healy, Best, Ross, O'Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, Sexton, Bod, Bowe and Kearney are all in contention to start for the Lions. Plus many more in contention to tour.
I think based on our 6N form, and the welsh GS, the English revival, plus the likes of Gray and Denton, we may see no more than 6 or 7 irish on tour, with maybe 2 starters, unless there is a big improvment in performance
Some laugh. But if these players finish their provincial seasons well you never know.
Ferris will. Heaslip I dont think will go.

The rest may go but not start
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

First time posting since the match, wtf s gone on here since, this place has gone full retard.

Anyway, what as annoyed me the most over the last few years, if the lack of consistency. kidney can manage the one of games, beating OZ in the RWC was a step forward from Eddie reign, as was the GS. But last year it was our attack, this year it was our defence, I am ignoring the scrum as that isn't really Kidney's fault we just don't have props who can scrum both sides, so I will give him leeway here. The other thing that annoyed me was the fact that we can't seem to play for 80 mins, or for a full championship we do typically start poor and gradually get better. These two points, point to what I think is a lack of concentration by the players, which is a poor from a famed man-manager that kidney is, and this I think is one of his biggest failing.
Despot

Post by Despot »

Ireland's Call wrote:Spot on about the inside centre.

I mean it does beggar belief to haul ROG on and shift Sexton to 12. This plainly shows imho Kidney's dreadful selection bias. Wanting to get ROG on when he can. Leinster play McFadden at centre so what is Kidneys problem??
Gordon D'Arcy started the Six Nations reasonably well, but finished it .. well, finished. Dorce is a smart guy, and you knew looking at his face on Saturday, that he knew as well as anyone that the jig was up. Inside centre is a position where we actually have all sorts of options, from Fergus McFadden (on the bench!) to Nevin Spence to Paddy Wallace to Oooooooooohh James Downey, but we persevered cruelly with a man who has given so much service in an odd 3-act international career instead of moving on. It defies reason, respect for the player and shows a real lack of intelligence.

Even more perplexing was the decision to replace him with a fly-half. Fergus McFadden plays for Leinster. At centre. The Leinster coaches see him all the time. And play him at centre. Yet the national management, who see him a handful of times a year, insist that the HEC-winning coaches in D4 are wrong, and Ferg is a winger. To the point where your inside centre is playing like a drain, and you have the man who has taken his place for several games at provincial level on the bench, yet you prefer to save him to play 5 minutes instead of Andy Trimble, and move your 10 out one. Your ten who has never played there. When you have a centre on the bench. Come on. This is just lunacy.
But how often has McF actually played 12? I would have liked to see him there but Joe also has consistently picked D'Arcy ahead of him. the only other option in the country is Paddy wallace and I doubt he would have got a great paragraph in the blog.

The blog is ok- its a bit like the opposition in a parliament. It's great at, and easy to, point out whats wrong and to suggest alternatives until you actually have to deliver them.

Instead pointing out the issues over say sticking with Buckley too long and blaming the coach it would be far more accurate to blame the system that does not allow the national coach to develop a squad of young props rather than focus on one. This is not a defence of Deccie but an attack on a major flaw in the system. It was referred to by EOS and Emmet Byrne. When you pick a player and invest in him it is natural to follow it through for a while, especially when the system does not allow you to develop alternatives. If the player you pick doesnt work out you are left with no alternative. Hopefully the new move advertised today will correct that.
MunsterMan!!!!!

SASP wrote:
Shroud Taylor wrote:anyone here read the rugby forum on boards?..delusion is not the word, the talk today is Healy, Best, Ross, O'Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, Sexton, Bod, Bowe and Kearney are all in contention to start for the Lions. Plus many more in contention to tour.
Some laugh. But if these players finish their provincial seasons well you never know.

I think the whole of next season, might go some way in helping to decide who goes as well
Apposite

Post by Apposite »

When is Kidney contracted until, am I right in saying June-ish 2013?
Shroud Taylor

Post by Shroud Taylor »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
SASP wrote:

I think the whole of next season, might go some way in helping to decide who goes as well
long way to go, but if you even look at the irish players in contention to start, there are younger players in great form who play in the same position. e.g Lydiate v Ferris or Kearney v Halfpenny.
Potentially a lean tour for irish players
SASP

Post by SASP »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
SASP wrote:

Thats right its 2013. Brain fart from me.
Hey I could play scrum half for ireland
:o
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

soyhmf wrote:That slithery fecker frankie sheehan for example absolutely dismissed the notion that somehow our performance against England might have been the worst under Deccie.

Then he picked Hartley on team of the tourney, and then started going on about how Cronin should start.

While I have no problem with either of those notions in principle (although Best clearly deserves his place) I really wondered if Slithery was acting as Cronin's agent, of there was some other back story. He seemed to have it in for Best anyway, and for no apparent reason when there are so many other targets. Not a word from any panelest about TO'L for example.

It's bullshit.

I asked the same question last night soyhmf. Frankies cheer-leading of both Croinin and just as strangely Archer left me thinking he must have an connection there somewhere. I cant believe he is invited on these shows as an analyst when he is representing many players in the provincial system. RTE do have form on this though.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Ireland's Call wrote:
LeinsterLion wrote:
Ireland's Call wrote: Yeah, the bulk of what is written is almost disturbingly accurate. It is said on this bored many times, but to see it published like that is an eye opener.
It's just a blog though, isn't it? I mean, this isn't the national press. It's of no more relevance, in the grand scheme of things, than us saying it (though it probably gets a bigger audience who aren't put off by all the madness (what the fudge is going on here lately?!) and liberal use of the word plum). That's the problem - we say it all the time, well written pieces by these bloggers say it, but the media never touch these issues. As said by DOB - THIS is how you do your job.

You and I are going to have a serious falling out. :x

It's a blog of course, but the line between the print media and popular blogs is a thin one these days. Spread the word on this, link it to FB, send it to friends etc

Only Franno really has the balls these days to say what he thinks. And a fair few times he can talk shit as well. But at least he doesn't hide. Toland has now joined Gerry in towing the line.
Isn't Thornley on Newstalk every Wed night - does anyone ever e-mail him in any decent questions?
I never ever want to see TOL in an Irish jersey again, DOC or D'arcy not up to it either but we all know that.
I think Earls will take Trimbles position on the wing if someone comes back into 13.
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

The Cordite blog is right in that continuing along the same path when it isn't working is f**king stupid, but he still ruins much of what he is talking about by massively overrating a whole host of players.
soyhmf wrote:That slithery fecker frankie sheehan for example absolutely dismissed the notion that somehow our performance against England might have been the worst under Deccie.

It's bullshit.
He isn't Cronin's agent.

He is obviously biased towards players he would, but there is a case for Cronin due to the dynamism he provides - though the case is fairly small given Best has largely played very well.
MunsterMan!!!!!

SASP wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
SASP wrote:

:D
binge90

Post by binge90 »

SASP wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
SASP wrote:

Nah mate you wouldn't get picked, being from Ulster and all.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

binge90 wrote:
SASP wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
SASP wrote:

Nah, he's from Donegal so is the "right sort", like Tommy.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Hellraiser wrote:
binge90 wrote:
SASP wrote:

Nah, he's from Donegal so is the "right sort", like Tommy.
:lol: :lol:

My mothers best friend is from and lives in Cork.
That should stand me well too.
Shroud Taylor

Post by Shroud Taylor »

grimoald wrote:The Cordite blog is right in that continuing along the same path when it isn't working is f**king stupid, but he still ruins much of what he is talking about by massively overrating a whole host of players.

It's bullshit.
He isn't Cronin's agent.

He is obviously biased towards players he would, but there is a case for Cronin due to the dynamism he provides - though the case is fairly small given Best has largely played very well.
i thought he used Cronin as an example. ie. if he is in great form until end of season, and Best is not, he should be picked, and by inference the same should apply to the rest of the team. Not that Cronin is better than Best now.
I think picking players on form may be too radical for Deccie though
Despot

Post by Despot »

Shroud Taylor wrote:
grimoald wrote:The Cordite blog is right in that continuing along the same path when it isn't working is f**king stupid, but he still ruins much of what he is talking about by massively overrating a whole host of players.

It's bullshit.
He isn't Cronin's agent.

i thought he used Cronin as an example. ie. if he is in great form until end of season, and Best is not, he should be picked, and by inference the same should apply to the rest of the team. Not that Cronin is better than Best now.
I think picking players on form may be too radical for Deccie though
He did use it as an example, but accurate reporting here doesnt always suit the agenda.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Kidney told him he wasn't needed; Leinster had a three week break. So off to NZ he went on the holliers.
soyhmf

Post by soyhmf »

Despot I have no agenda. I just don't think people who act as agents should be offering preportedly independent analysis. Sheehan is just an example. If you watched ath he really singled best out on a couple of occasions without mentioning any of the more obvious targets for criticism. I agree Cronin is a very good back up in this position, but why pick best and not mention DOC or TOL, or even heaslip? Where there are backups, ant they are also performing poorly?

On another note good to see Henderson in ulster squad. Was impressive in U 20s.
Shroud Taylor

Post by Shroud Taylor »

soyhmf wrote:Despot I have no agenda. I just don't think people who act as agents should be offering preportedly independent analysis. Sheehan is just an example. If you watched ath he really singled best out on a couple of occasions without mentioning any of the more obvious targets for criticism. I agree Cronin is a very good back up in this position, but why pick best and not mention DOC or TOL, or even heaslip? Where there are backups, ant they are also performing poorly?

Best was a bad example, and his point was poorly made, but Sheehan was not saying best should be dropped
binge90

Post by binge90 »

soyhmf wrote:Despot I have no agenda. I just don't think people who act as agents should be offering preportedly independent analysis. Sheehan is just an example. If you watched ath he really singled best out on a couple of occasions without mentioning any of the more obvious targets for criticism. I agree Cronin is a very good back up in this position, but why pick best and not mention DOC or TOL, or even heaslip? Where there are backups, ant they are also performing poorly?

Really happy he elbowed that little shit. Thought he was just a big strong hard worker with no hint of edge about him before that. Clearly not. :twisted:

Next step is for someone to shave his head and take a Stanley knife to his face.
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

I agree. Sheahan and Constable shouldn't be doing TV work that involves clients, but where do you draw the line on bias for other reasons, Sheahan is too close to a lot of the players on a personal level, whereas someone like Toland is such a Leinster fanboy he may as well be a LF poster.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

grimoald wrote:

I agree. Sheahan and Constable shouldn't be doing TV work that involves clients, but where do you draw the line on bias for other reasons, Sheahan is too close to a lot of the players on a personal level, whereas someone like Toland is such a Leinster fanboy he may as well be a LF poster.
I'd say you've pretty much described right there where you draw the line :?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Shroud Taylor wrote:

Best was a bad example, and his point was poorly made, but Sheehan was not saying best should be dropped
Frankie has already annoyed plenty on here (and further afield like the Whiff of Cordite Blog) with his bigging up guys on his books.
While he may have a point about rewarding form, the way he phrased it sounds a bit like bigging up yet another Munster (originally at least) guy.
Choosing Best was a bit of an odd option. The two glaringly obvious candidates to highlight when questioning Deccie rewarding form are TOL and DOC. Ryan should be starting ahead of DOC and TOL shouldn't be anywhere near an Irish squad, even allowing for Boss being unavailable.
Don't know why Frankie didn't pick up on these two. From his previous a lot of people would jump to the conclusion that they're his mates or on his books.

His overall points regarding rewarding form was valid, but he explained it poorly by using a slightly puzzling example.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Don't think he'll be offering too much backup for awhile.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

grimoald wrote:

I think its a f**king farce that they have agents doing TV work at all.

Sheahan picking Best up as an example probably has less to do with the fact that he is an agent, and more to do with the fact that he's a biased plum.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Impressed by Best again on Saturday...

Not a vintage display but the man just gives it absolute socks every game... Our most effective player on the deck and more than willing in the loose too...
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

danthefan wrote:
grimoald wrote:

Are you capable of reading the rest of the sentence?

I mentioned Sheahan again as I didn't want to reference someone like Shaggy for fear of knickers being twisted.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

grimoald wrote:
danthefan wrote:
grimoald wrote:

Grim Do you think Kidney is the right man to take this team forward? A simple yes or no will suffice

I mentioned Sheahan again as I didn't want to reference someone like Shaggy for fear of knickers being twisted.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

grimoald wrote:
danthefan wrote:
grimoald wrote:

Shaggy's not really exhibited any bias though, has he?

Oh and regarding the media, the problem is simple - the journos are too close to the players because there are very few teams, very few papers and very few players based in Ireland. Hell, even the English media pool is probably too small for rugby, what hope have we?