DOB

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by DOB »

SASP wrote:
Neil Francis: Kidney has lost his nerve and now stands at a crossroads
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/n ... 60736.html

Too much?
Too little?
Neil Francis is a plum so his opinion doesn't matter?
He hurts his point by suggesting Fitz at 13 and Hagan, who can't cover loosehead, as a utility prop. But his central point that Deccie is slow to make the big calls is definitely accurate.
SASP

Post by SASP »

DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:

Too much?
Too little?
He hurts his point by suggesting Fitz at 13 and Hagan, who can't cover loosehead, as a utility prop. But his central point that Deccie is slow to make the big calls is definitely accurate.
I think because TH is so key he simply selects the next best TH available to Ireland.
I think I'd rather have two THPs in a scrum than two LHPs.
DOB

Post by DOB »

lilyw wrote:
DOB wrote:I'd hate to see Fitz leave Leinster, but it's good to see the IRFU play hardball with his contract. I just hope that all the negotiations that are going on at the moment are being treated similarly; he's dead right to hold out if he knows that Earls or Trimble are on 25% more than him.
Eh - they're first-teamers; he's not in the squad.
That has as much, if not more, to do with timing of injuries as quality of play. Hard to be a first teamer when you're sidelined with a neck injury for the whole 6N.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

lilyw wrote:
DOB wrote:I'd hate to see Fitz leave Leinster, but it's good to see the IRFU play hardball with his contract. I just hope that all the negotiations that are going on at the moment are being treated similarly; he's dead right to hold out if he knows that Earls or Trimble are on 25% more than him.
Might have something to do with Fitz's international try scoring record versus the other two.
DOB

Post by DOB »

SASP wrote:
DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:

Too much?
Too little?
I think because TH is so key he simply selects the next best TH available to Ireland.
Tony Buckley.

Until international rugby goes to 8-man benches, you need to make your best possible allowance for the posibility of losing either prop. If Hagan had to come in for Healy, we wouldve been more f**ked than with Court for Ross. The ballsy call would be Loughney.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
lilyw wrote:
Might have something to do with Fitz's international try scoring record versus the other two.
Dan Tuohy has as many international tries as DOC yet 83 less caps.
SOB has as many as Leamy in 19 starts Vs 57 for Denis.
Last edited by SASP on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:
DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:

Too much?
Too little?
Tony Buckley.

Until international rugby goes to 8-man benches, you need to make your best possible allowance for the posibility of losing either prop. If Hagan had to come in for Healy, we wouldve been more f**ked than with Court for Ross. The ballsy call would be Loughney.
Or the obvious call at this stage?
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

SASP wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
lilyw wrote:

Eh, how is that relevant at all?
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

SASP wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
lilyw wrote:
It's that level of show-boating in the backs that means he'll never get as many caps.
SASP

Post by SASP »

DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:
DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:

Too much?
Too little?
Tony Buckley.

I dissed Loughney a bit yesterday then saw his performance against Munster last night and he was very good. Yes it would be a ballsy call up.

On Buckle - He couldn't scrum on either side if his life depended on it. I bet Hagan is better on LH side than Buckle ever was on either.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

SASP wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
lilyw wrote:
SOB has as many as Leamy in 19 starts Vs 57 for Denis.

If tries scored is your criteria for selecting forwards and esp locks, I would hate to see a team selected by you, you love to have Munster play against it though.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
SASP wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
lilyw wrote:
It's that level of show-boating in the backs that means he'll never get as many caps.
Its that kind of effectiveness from DOC that has him out of the Munster team yet still in the Irish one.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

As bad as Buckle was / is, he certainly never had a "Tom Court". And he added a bit extra. Huge man.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

SASP wrote:Its that kind of effectiveness from DOC that has him out of the Munster team yet still in the Irish one.

Stall on a minute, are you seriously suggesting that try scoring is the primary criterion for selection of forwards? :lol:
Last edited by Hellraiser on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Lilyw, Fitz was in the squad untill his neck injury ruled him out, so that point is bollocks. Whether he is worthy or nor of a central contract is a moot point, he is being offered one, he is in the national coaches plans. Is he woth 280k? Whos to know, without knowing how much others are on its impossible to tell. However I doubt many 24 year old's out there want to take 80k pay cuts, especially if more money is on offer elsewhere.
IBWT

Post by IBWT »

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:Pleased that Faloon isnt being lost to Irish Rugby. He should make connachts first XV. He is a superb link man which looking at their backrow they are missing. Good luck to him.

Just concerned about who Ulster are bringing in now. We definitely need another backrower.
Aye he should link up well with Muldoon and Naupou although JOC and himself will probably rotate a bit.
He Man Rugger Pints

Post by He Man Rugger Pints »

JOC would be pushing on a bit by now wouldn't he?

Edit: Only 32, thought he was older when he went to Wasps.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

epaddy wrote:Lilyw, Fitz was in the squad untill his neck injury ruled him out, so that point is bollocks. Whether he is worthy or nor of a central contract is a moot point, he is being offered one, he is in the national coaches plans. Is he woth 280k? Whos to know, without knowing how much others are on its impossible to tell. However I doubt many 24 year old's out there want to take 80k pay cuts, especially if more money is on offer elsewhere.
That's 140k per try.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Hellraiser wrote:
SASP wrote:Its that kind of effectiveness from DOC that has him out of the Munster team yet still in the Irish one.

Stall on a minute, are you seriously suggesting that try scoring is the primary criteria for selection of forwards? :lol:
No just having a laugh.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
epaddy wrote:Lilyw, Fitz was in the squad untill his neck injury ruled him out, so that point is bollocks. Whether he is worthy or nor of a central contract is a moot point, he is being offered one, he is in the national coaches plans. Is he woth 280k? Whos to know, without knowing how much others are on its impossible to tell. However I doubt many 24 year old's out there want to take 80k pay cuts, especially if more money is on offer elsewhere.
That's 140k per try.
:lol:
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

He Man Rugger Pints wrote:JOC would be pushing on a bit by now wouldn't he?

Edit: Only 32, thought he was older when he went to Wasps.
The guy looks like he's mid 40's though, really takes care of himself,constantly stretching and using foam rollers ,he reckons if he didn't he'd have retired a year or 2 ago.
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Boxcar Ira wrote:
That's 140k per try.
Much more, its 280k a year, he has on average a try every three years for Ireland , been playing since 2006, so its more like 840k a try or 800k as it hasnt been six full years, bargain.
SASP

Post by SASP »

epaddy wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
That's 140k per try.
Much more, its 280k a year, he has on average a try every three years for Ireland , been playing since 2006, so its more like 840k a try or 800k as it hasnt been six full years, bargain.
In that time TBF he has scored 25 tries for Leinster.
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Hellraiser wrote:

Stall on a minute, are you seriously suggesting that try scoring is the primary criteria for selection of forwards? :lol:
It's not the primary criteria for any rugby player, otherwise Fionn Carr would have been nailed on in previous years.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

Thanks for pointing that out, epad. I didnt realise the situation was that serious.
binge90

Post by binge90 »

lilyw wrote:
A neck injury. BOD wasn't in the squad. Let's give him a paycut.

He was the form Irish winger before the neck injury, was in absolutely sublime form.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

SASP wrote:
epaddy wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
That's 140k per try.

Earls has 21 in almost 40 fewer games for Munster.
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Neither Conor Murray nor Paul O'Connell have been included in the Munster squad for Saturday's RaboDirect PRO12 clash with Leinster

There had been optimism that Murray might make it back in time for this top of the table clash whereas O'Connell was always a doubt. It's hoped however that both may be in contention for inclusion in the squad for the game against Ulster on saturday week.
Meanwhile Munster have confirmed that Peter Stringer and Dave Foley have agreed one year contract extensions.

Stringer is currently on loan to Newcastle Falcons while Foley who is out injured with a shoulder injury opted for a one year contract instead of the offered two year deal.

Munster Squad (28): Marcus Horan, Wian du Preez, BJ Botha, John Ryan, Stephen Archer, Damien Varley, Mike Sherry, Denis Fogarty, Donncha O’Callaghan, Mick O’Driscoll, Billy Holland, Dave O’Callaghan, Peter O’Mahony, Tommy O’Donnell, David Wallace, James Coughlan, Duncan Williams, Tomas O’Leary, Ronan O’Gara, Ian Keatley, Simon Zebo, Danny Barnes, Lifeimi Mafi, Keith Earls, Denis Hurley, Johne Murphy, Scott Deasy, Felix Jones,
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

*Ahem* Previous page.
LeinsterLion

Post by LeinsterLion »

For those who tried to argue Leinster could not have gone to uncontested scrums last weekend (e.g. Willie - not trying to pick on you WF, just I remember we were talking about it):
Leinster 'guts it out' in tight situation

GAVIN CUMMISKEY

THE DIFFERENCE between Ireland’s and Leinster’s defeats against England at Twickenham, and the Ospreys at the RDS last Friday, is Leinster had a get-out-of-jail-free card. They didn’t use it.

With only one prop replacement available at international level, Tom Court, a loosehead by trade, was mangled by the English frontrow when Mike Ross’ neck/stinger flared up.

Last Friday at the RDS was different because when an already struggling Nathan White (confirmed as Connacht-bound next season) went off with a cheekbone/facial injury, Jamie Hagan, a tighthead, came on. Not that Hagan solidified matters.

On 58 minutes the Balbriggan man was carted off with rib cartilage damage, caused by Paul James’ early engagement at a scrum. It looked nasty but the 24-year-old could be available for bench duty against Cardiff on Saturday week at the Aviva Stadium.

Anyway, on losing both tighthead props, just as Lions and Wales number three Adam Jones arrived on the field, Leinster could have called for uncontested scrums. Instead, they put Jack McGrath, the 22-year-old academy graduate, in the same situation Court experienced in London; a loosehead trying to survive on the tight side. McGrath, it is generally accepted, struggled badly.

“We were unfortunate with two tightheads coming off and poor Jack thrown into the deep end,” said Leinster hooker Richardt Strauss yesterday but in the same breath added: “Our scrum, for some reason, didn’t function well, at all, from the start. We were never comfortable and they kept putting us under pressure and it was the difference at the end.”

That’s surprising considering the debut of Brad Thorn and return of Leo Cullen. “We could have gone for uncontested scrums but we guts it out there with Jack,” said Cullen. “Jack hasn’t played tighthead at this level before and maybe in hindsight we could have gone for uncontested but that was a call from the sideline. We have a lot of faith in our guys but it was a tough ask on Jack.”

It seemed like an ethical decision by coach Joe Schmidt. If Leinster, as European champions and with two props in reserve, opt for uncontested scrums when both tightheads are injured then it provides other teams with a precedent. Instead, they took their beating as, ultimately, the Ospreys scrum won them the game or at the very least denied Leinster the platform to orchestrate a late drop goal attempt. Cullen gives credit to his old Leicester Tigers team-mate Graham Rowntree for England’s strides at scrum-time. Rowntree, or “Wig”, is expected to be on Warren Gatland’s Lions coaching ticket next year in Australia.

“I played with Wig in Leicester and it is something they have focused a lot on. Dan Cole has come through really well and it is something we have maybe been a bit guilty in the past here but it is something (Leinster) have targeted since that Heineken semi-final against Toulouse over there a couple of years ago.

“Feeky (Greg Feek) has come in since and we have been able to manage our way through games a lot better. It’s well documented in the Heineken Cup final against Northampton last year we got dished up in the first half but we addressed it at half-time.”

You can bank on one thing this Saturday at Thomond Park; there will be scrums. “Knowing BJ (Botha) from South Africa, he really applies himself,” said Strauss. “Along with Wian (du Preez), they are big men. I think they felt a bit vulnerable in the scrum the previous season when they came up short once or twice. They have made a massive difference. They actually gave us a lesson in the Aviva in the first game so hopefully we can get one back on them.”

Cullen and Brian O’Driscoll have shown no recurring problems from recent lay-offs while the internationals, including Ross, are all due to feature in Limerick. That means Cian Healy, Gordon D’Arcy (200th cap), Jamie Heaslip, Rob Kearney, Seán O’Brien, Eoin Reddan and Jonathan Sexton will return to the 23-man squad.
Last edited by LeinsterLion on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:

Too much?
Too little?

I think Fitzgerald would be a good 13.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Willie Falloon wrote:
DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:

Too much?
Too little?

Me too. He has a great step and is stronger than he looks.

Also Willie, you for changing your name?
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

SASP wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
DOB wrote:
SASP wrote:

Too much?
Too little?

NoSurrender
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Hellraiser wrote:*Ahem* Previous page.
Its just so hot outside...I cant be expected to keep up with everything. SO DAMN HOT.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Hellraiser wrote:
SASP wrote:
epaddy wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
That's 140k per try.

I dont question that Earls finishing is better. The stats dont lie.

I was just pointing out the flaw in the logic that each try Fitz has got for Ireland cost the IRFU 800k.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Willie Falloon wrote:
SASP wrote:

NoSurrender
That would be a very apt name for you.
:nod:
waguser

Post by waguser »

Fitzgerald is keen to play at 13

not at all keen at 12

I'd say Francis is well aware of that.

Luke has been very unlucky. Playing in an Irish team with a stilted style that doesn't suit him
It's clear that sexton is also being misused by Deccie
Last edited by waguser on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lelopride

Post by lelopride »

Conn wrote:
lelopride wrote:
Ireland's Call wrote:
grimoald wrote:A Georgian TH :D

An International class sprinter :D

skinny fucker though

Is that Saba Meunargia? The Georgian lad played number 8. Has he moved to the front row?? Outstanding prospect by all accounts. Family moved here 3+ years ago, Georgians niot happy we have him.... 8)
If he is good enough for backrow he will come back. If he develops as prop we will help out Irish rugby
Thank you Lelo,
just on that could you send out word locally there, I'm setting up a lovely Georgian colony, based here in Galway.
There will be some entry requirements for families, nothing too tight,must be all boys in the family though and they must have shaved for the first time at the age of 8..
:lol:
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

SASP wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
SASP wrote:
epaddy wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote: That's 140k per try.

I dont question that Earls finishing is better. The stats dont lie.

I was just pointing out the flaw in the logic that each try Fitz has got for Ireland cost the IRFU 800k.
Well thats not true, he ahs only been on 280k for the last two(?) years, so it would be less then that, still quite pricey. Thats said depending on what length that contract was for, we may have got no tries for the 560k he was paid in the last two years.
LeinsterLion

Post by LeinsterLion »

Haven't seen this - Hagan and White expected back for this weekend.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 45122.html
Hagan and White on the mend for Leinster

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 01:45 PM

Leinster props Jamie Hagan and Nathan White are both expected to be fit for Saturday’s meeting with rivals Munster after the pair picked up knocks in last weekend’s defeat to the Ospreys.

Both players were substituted on the half hour mark with Hagan exiting the pitch on a stretcher after sustaining a rib injury.

Leinster team manager Guy Easterby revealed that the duo are recovering well from their injuries and should be in contention for a place in this weekend’s derby encounter.

“It was obviously a tough injury for Jamie,” Easterby remarked. “It was a rib cartilage injury and they can be really uncomfortable.

“He got quite a lot of painkillers on Saturday night and on Sunday he was still very sore but had improved a bit and we would be hopeful that he will be available for selection at the weekend.

“Nathan got a whack around the eye and he was just sore in that area.

“It seems to have settled and he is another one we would be hopeful for ahead of this weekend which is good news.”

The meeting with the Ospreys in the RDS marked the long awaited return of Brian O’Driscoll and Leo Cullen as well All Blacks legend Brad Thorn’s debut for the province.

However, a late Richard Hibbard try spoiled the home crowd’s party as it helped the visitors to a 23-22 victory.

Easterby believes there were plenty of positives to take from the game despite the poor result.

“The result was disappointing but it was nice to be able to get some positives out of it.

“Certainly the fact that those three (O’Driscoll, Cullen and Thorn) were on the pitch and got some good game time before what is a tough run-in these next couple of weeks.”

Despite sitting comfortably at the top of the PRO12 league table with an eight point lead over Munster, Easterby knows there is a lot at stake when the two great rivals collide on Saturday evening and he recognises the quality in the Munster squad.

“They are always huge games with the local rivalry. It is something we are looking forward to immensely.

“They are just a fantastic team. You can see even from their result last weekend against Connacht where they rested players who were involved in the Six Nations but they know how to win games.

“They’re a really strong team across the park and a tough outfit to play against.

“It is always a tough place to go as everyone knows and we had two disappointing results down there last year so we’ll certainly be looking to right that and hopefully come away with a win.”

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... z1qK6OFWeN