The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Floppykid

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Floppykid »

CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:Fair play to Kelleher for pushing for the move when he sees jokers in front of him. Lam will give him a fair shot.

Leo is way too loyal too his buddies
Yup.
Yeah, it's not like 3 academy players have gotten significant gametime or a young flanker has usurped an Irish squad member or anything. Nor has a young sh got the most gametime this season. It's also well known that the real reason Triggs came over is because he's best buds with Leo and despite only really having two seasons with Kearney Jnr, Leo considers him like a little brother.

:roll:
Jesus Statto, chill.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

Perhaps the lad's just looking for a bit of decent coaching?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Porterbelly1 wrote:Fair play to Kelleher for pushing for the move when he sees jokers in front of him. Lam will give him a fair shot.

Yup.
Yeah, it's not like 3 academy players have gotten significant gametime or a young flanker has usurped an Irish squad member or anything. Nor has a young sh got the most gametime this season. It's also well known that the real reason Triggs came over is because he's best buds with Leo and despite only really having one season with Kearney Jnr, Leo considers him like a little brother.

He's not as bad as the others are suggesting, but he's still been very slow to change up the backline.

We've a young pack and a geriatric backline and there's been little interest in fixing that.
We have used, at last count, 56 players this season and I'd be surprised if we've picked the same backline more than 2 or 3 times this season. Taking over in a WC year is hard enough when half your squad are in the national squad without it also being your first head coaching gig.

I'm not saying Leo has been brilliant but we're almost guaranteed a home semi, we've blooded a load of extra players, McGrath is finally finishing the season as first choice (hopefully) and we're in an ok place. He deserves a proper season without losing his squad for half of it before passing full judgement.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

:uhoh:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Yup.
Yeah, it's not like 3 academy players have gotten significant gametime or a young flanker has usurped an Irish squad member or anything. Nor has a young sh got the most gametime this season. It's also well known that the real reason Triggs came over is because he's best buds with Leo and despite only really having two seasons with Kearney Jnr, Leo considers him like a little brother.

Jesus Statto, chill.
I just found the comment and your endorsement of it laughably wide of the mark. It's hardly like our first choice team (whatever that is) is littered with Leo's contemporaries who don't deserve to be there. In fact, I can't think of one bar possibly a bit too much gametime for Reddan.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Take a break from the forum man. :uhoh:
sewa

Post by sewa »

Assuming that Henshaw goes to centres are there any young players likely to break into the back three next season?
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

lorcanoworms wrote:

Treviso though :blush: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :D .
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Floppykid wrote:Take a break from the forum man. :uhoh:

I think you're reading my posts in a way different tone than I'm writing them in.

Oh well. Forumming is serious business for you, I guess.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Given Connacht's horrendous injury records Kelleher will get game time. I say he is going over to replace Carr not Henshaw.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Given Connacht's horrendous injury records Kelleher will get game time. I say he is going over to replace Carr not Henshaw.
We had a replacement lined up for Henshaw but it was blocked by the IRFU

Kelleher will be a very useful addition given his pace. I'd rate him ahead of Leader
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

Big shout out to Luke Marshall, who must be the front runner for Ulster's player of the season. Would like to see him get a run out for Ireland at outside centre given he has totally outshone anything Payne has achieved for Ulster in the 13 jersey.

You still think he is a 12 Statto?

9. Murray 10. Sexton 11.? 12. McCloskey 13. Marshall 14. ? 15. Payne

We are serious light in the decent winger stakes. :?:

Edit: forgot about Earls! He's in at 11 so
CM11

Post by CM11 »

El Homerino wrote:Big shout out to Luke Marshall, who must be the front runner for Ulster's player of the season. Would like to see him get a run out for Ireland at outside centre given he has totally outshone anything Payne has achieved for Ulster in the 13 jersey.

I still think he's a 12 playing very well at 13 at provincial level, yes.

But as I've maintained throughout, I think he'd be able to play 13 for Ireland, I just don't think he's the best option going forward although currently I wouldn't disagree too much, especially with Henshaw getting no time at 13 and Ringrose definitely needing at least another season.

I doubt it'll happen though but he should be considered to partner Payne, if nothing else. As I said yesterday, Farrell may have some forthright views on the matter which may change Schmidt's mindset.
El Homerino

Post by El Homerino »

CM11 wrote:
El Homerino wrote:Big shout out to Luke Marshall, who must be the front runner for Ulster's player of the season. Would like to see him get a run out for Ireland at outside centre given he has totally outshone anything Payne has achieved for Ulster in the 13 jersey.

But as I've maintained throughout, I think he'd be able to play 13 for Ireland, I just don't think he's the best option going forward although currently I wouldn't disagree too much, especially with Henshaw getting no time at 13 and Ringrose definitely needing at least another season.

I doubt it'll happen though but he should be considered to partner Payne, if nothing else. As I said yesterday, Farrell may have some forthright views on the matter which may change Schmidt's mindset.
I stopped expecting any form decisions from Schmidt a long time ago, but due to the lack of pace in our team it would probably good to have another play maker in the centres. He gets more time to show his talents at 13, so don't know why you are set that he is a 12.
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

CM11 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:Great for Kelleher. Can't imagine it's tough to sell a move to that level of coaching and almost guaranteed gametime.
Which of Nyi, Healy and TOH are you dropping?
Ah Christ it's a brutal sport and injuries are sadly regular. At Connacht he's in with a shout. He's way off at Leinster due to isa and sideshow bob
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Porterbelly1 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

Treviso though :blush: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :D .
Treviso :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

El Homerino wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I stopped expecting any form decisions from Schmidt a long time ago, but due to the lack of pace in our team it would probably good to have another play maker in the centres. He gets more time to show his talents at 13, so don't know why you are set that he is a 12.
I see him as a very good 2nd 5/8th and a lot of his play at 13 is very well suited to the 12 position. I think Henshaw and Ringrose (in particular) are better suited to the 13 position. But it's just an opinion. I've always rated Marshall highly and if he gets picked at 13 for Ireland, so be it, I'd have my doubts about his ability to organise the defence but then the same would apply to the other two.

Again just an opinion, but I don't think Payne is moving from 13 for Ireland anytime soon. However, I've always maintained I'd personally like to see him at FB.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Lazy Couch potato wrote:Great for Kelleher. Can't imagine it's tough to sell a move to that level of coaching and almost guaranteed gametime.
Which of Nyi, Healy and TOH are you dropping?
Ah Christ it's a brutal sport and injuries are sadly regular. At Connacht he's in with a shout. He's way off at Leinster due to isa and sideshow bob
He's not way off, as his 6 appearances this season have shown, and he's coming out of the academy and would have been expected to get a fair bit more gametime, if he was good enough.

If he's not good enough then it doesn't really matter which province he plays for.

I've no problem with the move, as I said above, if he gets the gametime but as I also said he'd have gotten similar gametime at Connacht this season if he'd been there and comparing next season's gametime to this season's will be irrelevant.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Marshall should be closer to the Ireland team than McCloskey imo. I do hope Joe looks beyond Payne at 13 but I have my doubts. Payne for a year or so at 15 would give Zebo some time to learn the position.

Also worth wondering if Scholes tears up trees for Edinburgh if he will be ignored. Looks to have better basics than Gilroy did at that stage. Gilroy of course has serious wheels and ability to beat people though
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Did Cullen get post match press conference tips off Foley this week?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Did Cullen get post match press conference tips off Foley this week?
Cullen isn't as surly as Foley but his media work this season has been all over the place.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

CM11 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Did Cullen get post match press conference tips off Foley this week?
Cullen isn't as surly as Foley but his media work this season has been all over the place.
The only thing that has saved him this season is Kurt McQuilkin's defense. Defense aside, he has had a less impressive first seaosn in charge than Foley.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Jumper wrote:
CM11 wrote:
The only thing that has saved him this season is Kurt McQuilkin's defense. Defense aside, he has had a less impressive first seaosn in charge than Foley.
Foley didn't have a season to pull apart MOC Ball and start again.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:Marshall should be closer to the Ireland team than McCloskey imo. I do hope Joe looks beyond Payne at 13 but I have my doubts. Payne for a year or so at 15 would give Zebo some time to learn the position.

Also worth wondering if Scholes tears up trees for Edinburgh if he will be ignored. Looks to have better basics than Gilroy did at that stage. Gilroy of course has serious wheels and ability to beat people though
Has a much higher level of game intelligence than Gilroy I feel.
Kanbei

Post by Kanbei »

unseenwork wrote:
DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:Marshall should be closer to the Ireland team than McCloskey imo. I do hope Joe looks beyond Payne at 13 but I have my doubts. Payne for a year or so at 15 would give Zebo some time to learn the position.

Has a much higher level of game intelligence than Gilroy I feel.
Scholes was excellent yesterday. Really disappointed he is leaving, hopefully he will be back in a couple of years time.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

CM11 wrote:

Marshall has, by a huge distance, been the best 13 in Ireland this season. I struggle to see how that means he's not the best option going forward. Ringrose potentially is going to be very good and has done some great stuff but he was comprehensively out played yesterday, Henshaw doesn't look likely to play 13 much, Aki is a kiwi, Payne is both a kiwi and a fullback.
RWC2015

Post by RWC2015 »

Is or will the full Leinster-Ulster game be available to watch anywhere?

Agree with Jumper that Leinster/Cullen have had a worse season than Munster/Foley.

Yes, we could still win the pro-12, but we are playing such shit rugby, and as someone else pointed out, without our D we would be f**ked. There has been zero evolution from MO'C ball. Having said that, Stats' points make sense. He deserves another undisrupted season to make an impact. But to be honest, I'm just not that confident on the basis of what has been delivered so far.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

DiscoHips D'Arcy wrote:Also worth wondering if Scholes tears up trees for Edinburgh if he will be ignored. Looks to have better basics than Gilroy did at that stage. Gilroy of course has serious wheels and ability to beat people though
On the basis that while a players strengths might get him the opportunity at the higher level, it's his weaknesses that determine if he can survive there,
I reckon Scholes is on his way to becoming a better all round player than Gilroy.
Doesn't have the side-step-his-own-shadow agility of Gilroy, but is far more physical in the contact area.
His defensive positioning has improved immensely from the start of this season.
And that try in Oxonnax is up there with the best of Gilroy.

Really gutted to be losing him, just when his upward curve looks like taking off.

If I was Les Kiss, I'd be phoning him every couple of weeks just to keep in his ear.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

RWC2015 wrote:Is or will the full Leinster-Ulster game be available to watch anywhere?
It's already on Utube - if you don't mind it freezing every so often and then jumping to the golf or adverts (in the middle of a TMO replay).

Sooner or later it will be on UAFC anyway. Check this link every so often, they usually have it up by Monday or Tuesday.
http://www.uafc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 2&start=60
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

CM11 wrote:
We have used, at last count, 56 players this season and I'd be surprised if we've picked the same backline more than 2 or 3 times this season. Taking over in a WC year is hard enough when half your squad are in the national squad without it also being your first head coaching gig.

I'm not saying Leo has been brilliant but we're almost guaranteed a home semi, we've blooded a load of extra players, McGrath is finally finishing the season as first choice (hopefully) and we're in an ok place. He deserves a proper season without losing his squad for half of it before passing full judgement.
Nobody is calling for Leo to be sacked. We're not Munster fans.

But there is a pattern this season of trusting older players he worked with. Some of those lads aren't particularly impressive anymore. I'd much rather see a lad like Kelleher get game time than Kirchner, for example.

At this point in time, every province bar Ulster draws about half their backline from Leinster. And we're a pretty poor team in terms of backplay. It suggests an issue with talent identification.
RWC2015

Post by RWC2015 »

Yer Man wrote:
RWC2015 wrote:Is or will the full Leinster-Ulster game be available to watch anywhere?
It's already on Utube - if you don't mind it freezing every so often and then jumping to the golf or adverts (in the middle of a TMO replay).

Sooner or later it will be on UAFC anyway. Check this link every so often, they usually have it up by Monday or Tuesday.
http://www.uafc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 2&start=60
Sound thanks :thumbup:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Nobody is calling for Leo to be sacked. We're not Munster fans.

But there is a pattern this season of trusting older players he worked with. Some of those lads aren't particularly impressive anymore. I'd much rather see a lad like Kelleher get game time than Kirchner, for example.

At this point in time, every province bar Ulster draws about half their backline from Leinster. And we're a pretty poor team in terms of backplay. It suggests an issue with talent identification.
Kirchner, who he played one season with and then had little to do with, as forwards coach, the following season? That's a stretch. If you'd just stopped with 'older players', the point would make far more sense. But even then, it would be madness to ignore all the older players for the games when we were weakened considerably but even then Kelleher did feature in 6 match day squads, while Byrne featured in another 3. Marsh has also gotten significant gametime when he could just have gone for Nacewa, if he was being very careful.

In terms of sacking Leo. No, I think I've only seen calls to replace Girve, but Leo has pretty much been written off and lumped in with Foley. I don't disagree that it was too early for him and I'm certainly not going to predict he'll be a success but as first seasons go it's been pretty successful and there's a lot to build on.
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

No one is saying Leo isn't giving younger players games, but he has kept going back to the older players for the big games when they have consistently been poor this season. This game he took off the young guys after 50 mins just when they looked like the beginning to get on top and the score in the last 30 mins was 20-0. Will anyone be surprised if come the semi-final and he goes back to the likes of Healy, Reddan, Ross, Triggs and the 2 hookers?
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Furlong, Van Der Flier, McGrath and Ringrose all started the game with a combined age of less than 85.

That he subbed these guys off and didnt bring on four U15 players cant be a criticism laid at Cullen. Leinster are still doing an awful lot right, but are shockingly blunt in attack. If Cullen cant sort that next season questions will have to be asked, but after 9 months in to a job he wasnt exactly expecting I think he can be given credit for showing faith with youth.

Back 3 is a big concern, no pace and poor defence from all three yesterday and all year really.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

As Barakat said during the game Leinster are unintentionally, predictable and lack pace, Ulster's defence was never really stretched in the final third and he openly said Ulster were targeting the BP, that's the big failing.

Leinster had enough possession, enough territory and a good enough foundation to win that game comfortably but they created nothing and played by the numbers rugby that Ulster found easy to deal with. Neither half back created anything in the same vein as Pienaar and Jackson and the whole approach was just dire. That's a failing on the coaches and especially girv, when they can't rely on individual brilliance from Te'o, Ringrose or Fitz they're a bit bereft of ideas.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Ringrose looks good going forward but he was manhandled by Marshall and Trimble for most of the match. He needs a big pre-season.

IMHO, Luke is a fair few steps ahead of him, wod love to see Marshall @ 13 and Payne @ 15 for Ireland.

Robnoxious and Daverage were useless yesterday.

Leinstead backs played like Ireland, i.e shit. IMHO, if Ulster could find a few more useful forwards we'll be hard to beat next season.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

cfm93 wrote:No one is saying Leo isn't giving younger players games, but he has kept going back to the older players for the big games when they have consistently been poor this season. This game he took off the young guys after 50 mins just when they looked like the beginning to get on top and the score in the last 30 mins was 20-0. Will anyone be surprised if come the semi-final and he goes back to the likes of Healy, Reddan, Ross, Triggs and the 2 hookers?
Peter Dooley has more gametime for Leinster this season than Ross and marginally less than Healy and Furlong way more than both. Molony has way more gametime than Triggs while Kearney has featured loads since returning from injury. McGrath a couple of hundred mins more than Reddan. VDF second behind Ruddock in mins played in the backrow. Ringrose obviously a first choice fixture.

In the context of the argument that Kelleher is off because he's not getting time because Cullen is only picking the old farts, the above shows that up as bull.

IMO, Leo is trying to balance gametime too much to keep everyone fresh. I certainly hope that's the reason Molony didn't feature against Ulster. But this season was always about positioning for next season rather than trying to fix everything in one go. As such the gametime Dooley, Tracy, Furlong, Molony, Kearney, VDF, McGrath and Ringrose have gotten this season will stand to us next season. And I've a feeling that Kelleher and Byrne haven't featured more not simply because Leo's reaching for his comfort blanket but because he either thinks they're not ready yet or will never be ready. We'll find out more next season re. Kelleher but as I said above, it still wouldn't be fair given Leinster wanted to keep him and a season on with a more settled team would have given Leo much more leeway to introduce younger players out wide.
Despot

Post by Despot »

You should always wait until the second season to judge a coach- it is only then that it is HIS team.

On the younger Leinster guys - I was at the AIL semi final UCD V Clontarf. With the names in the UCD backline- McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Dardis, Adam Byrne- I was expecting a lot of really good fast backplay, especially on an all weather pitch. It was my first time seeing these guys up close. They were dissapointing- unimaginative running, always to a pattern, nothing off the cuff, and the passing was far from crisp. It made Clontarfs defense work easy.

Carbery (?) at 10 looked a far better footballer. What did strike me big time though was the physiques on the academy guys- big, with muscles on their muscles. I couldnt help thinking that their solution to a bad peformance was to lift weights, rather than work on skills.

and I know it was only one game......
PourSomeRuggerOnMe

Post by PourSomeRuggerOnMe »

Despot wrote: What did strike me big time though was the physiques on the academy guys- big, with muscles on their muscles. I couldnt help thinking that their solution to a bad peformance was to lift weights, rather than work on skills.
We're still obsessed with size in the NH, much to our detriment, even though it's been clear for some time that the teams dominating rugby, even at Test level (or maybe I should say especially at Test level), focus on skills above all else.

Connacht's skills look better than any other Irish teams' at the moment, it's clearly something they spend a lot of time on. The basic skills of a lot of guys at the other teams are simply not up to scratch.

It's something we need to address because we don't want to end up playing like a lot of the Top 14 teams, who are almost unwatchable at this stage in the way they grind out games with the emphasis on power rather than imagination or guile.

Here in Montpellier everyone's delighted to be up near the top of the league but I honestly can't even watch them play, it's just so boring. A lot of the players agree too, apparently Jake White and the tactics he employs are very unpopular among the non-Saffers on the team (the few that are left).
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Has Rob Kearney already met his 3 passes for the season quota already?
That turnover from the poor Nelson kick (i think) was begging to be flung wide where Leinster has some serious numbers but he did the usual trucking it up.
Its hard to believe that none of his coaches have called him out on never passing the ball.