The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
mickie

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by mickie »

Fyi, jrp has set up pro12 on superbru for this year.
goose81

Post by goose81 »

redderneck wrote:One thing struck me when up north last week re cars in general. A hell of a lot more 'smaller' or traditionally more modest cars up there seem to be top specced. New/newish on pov-spec few and far between. Indicative of the old PCP era having been longer established up there or what?
Few different reasons and nothing to do with PCP.

They don't pay vrt, so cars there are significantly cheaper. Tax a big litre petrol car, Irish government charges 36% of a tax for no reason. Its essentially a scam and has been challenged at European level, it will eventually be ruled illegal I would imagine, in essence a double tax. On average the tax is probably 20%

They are more into their cars, motorbikes and vehicles in general up north.

In Ireland we get what's called paddy spec cars. An Irish person will take a BMW 3 series with no radio and manual windows because they want the BMW badge, in the UK they would generally prefer a top spec more modest car brand instead of BMW with no radio and manual windows for the same cash. Dealers in Ireland have recognised this and buy cars in accordingly.

This is why any vehicle I buy I import from uk myself. The cars are much more highly speced and in general they are maintained better.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

goose81 wrote:
redderneck wrote:One thing struck me when up north last week re cars in general. A hell of a lot more 'smaller' or traditionally more modest cars up there seem to be top specced. New/newish on pov-spec few and far between. Indicative of the old PCP era having been longer established up there or what?

They don't pay vrt, so cars there are significantly cheaper. Tax a big litre petrol car, Irish government charges 36% of a tax for no reason. Its essentially a scam and has been challenged at European level, it will eventually be ruled illegal I would imagine, in essence a double tax. On average the tax is probably 20%

In Ireland we get what's called paddy spec cars. An Irish person will take a BMW 3 series with no radio and manual windows because they want the BMW badge, in the UK they would generally prefer a top spec more modest car brand instead of BMW with no radio and manual windows for the same cash. Dealers in Ireland have recognised this and buy cars in accordingly.

This is why any vehicle I buy I import from uk myself. The cars are much more highly speced and in general they are maintained better.
The nordies do seem to love keeping their cars clean and washed. Maybe it's a British thing, wash/clean the car on the weekend. Us paddies not so much into relentlessly cleaning our cars.
rugbot 2.0

Post by rugbot 2.0 »

YOYO wrote:
goose81 wrote:

The nordies do seem to love keeping their cars clean and washed. Maybe it's a British thing, wash/clean the car on the weekend. Us paddies not so much into relentlessly cleaning our cars.
It's because they keep their cars in a cupboard.
goose81

Post by goose81 »

I don't really think its a British thing more a northern Irish thing. I go up there a good bit to the motorcycle road races and some of these lads pull up with a sterling 60k campervan pulling a 50k Subaru road\rally car and towing 2 10k motorbikes behind. Its more a lifestyle thing I think, I've never seen anything like it. Fair enough houses are a lot cheaper in the main but the disposable income spent on "toys" I've never seen anything like it.

I think you do get that culture down here to an extent but the vrt tax really kills people doing it. A fully loaded ford Mondeo up there with 5k of extras for example would still be cheaper than the most basic model here.

On a side note if any of you have a newish car that requires an expensive repair and your going main dealer go up there to have it done , half the price.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

We really do get royally buttfcuked for the privelige of driving. The least they could do is give a VAT rebate on the lubricant.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Always been the way. Taxes here mean that buying a top-end of a lower range is a bad idea.

For somebody who really loves driving, a high-end 3-series is going to be a better car than a 520. In Ireland, tax makes that a lot less attractive as a possibility.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

True enough. When you start optioninig up pretty much anything German it gets scary, fast.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

You say that, but he really did need some bulking up to do to be able to cope with the pro game.
It was a cop out excuse for him not getting him game time then he handled 20 odd games last season with no issue with his physique.

Gym monkeying a fleet footed back isn't the way to go. He will lose movement and pace. I've seen it with Aussie and Saffie centres who have got too ripped in the thighs and up top.

Ringrose can tackle with good technique and handle breakdowns. Leave him alone. NZ didn't do it with Ben Smith and Conrad Smith. Jesse Kriel has a similar build to Ringrose and relies on footwork to make breaks has made it to test Rugby.
goose81

Post by goose81 »

Wonder why we see so few supercars here? Average Ferrari would be 100k more here due to vrt that's why you see so many northern reges. Cheaper to buy some 20k cottage in thw middle of nowhere up north and register the car there.

I have friends driving around in brand new cars that they have registered using a mates address up north, never been caught. Just sell it up there when you are done.

One of my bikes is on northern reg but that's due to lazyness as vrt on bikes is nothing and I've never been pulled on it.if I am I say I live there and give a mates address. I'm surprised its not an epidemic
Last edited by goose81 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:Connacht have a partnership deal with Mazda, same as Munster with Seat, some staff/players get free cars and the rest get fairly good HP or lease terms.
Mazda are also sleeve sponsors which is a nice money earner.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
You say that, but he really did need some bulking up to do to be able to cope with the pro game.
Gym monkeying a fleet footed back isn't the way to go. He will lose movement and pace. I've seen it with Aussie and Saffie centres who have got too ripped in the thighs and up top.

Ringrose can tackle with good technique and handle breakdowns. Leave him alone. NZ didn't do it with Ben Smith and Conrad Smith. Jesse Kriel has a similar build to Ringrose and relies on footwork to make breaks has made it to test Rugby.
I'm not talking about turning him into McCloskey, I'm just saying he had work to do on building up sufficient bulk to protect him from collisions and hopefully spare him injuries in the long run, these days you can't just throw a young lad in a position with such a high degree of attrition as 13 unless he's a bit of a monster. As others have said, MOC did not get it wrong with him.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

You can't defend MOC's management of him. A season back in Australia he is already out there ruining Reds youngsters turning them in to confident less headless chooks.

Holding back players is the old Saffie mentality that they copped on that they were behind Aus and NZ. Jake White changed that mentality. If Ringrose was an Aussie or Kiwi back he would have way more pro caps and possibly a test or tour spot.
goose81

Post by goose81 »

Agree, we seem to have a serious fear of throwing youngsters in Ireland. If he was welsh he would have been capped regardless of size, when do you think the next Fitzgerald will be capped age 19. I'm not joking I'd say we will be waiting 20 years. (And no the age he was capped has nothing to do with his injuries)
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Exactly and I've seen people argue that he isn't international quality despite not playing a single test. Ringrose is the same size as Tim Horan and Conrad Smith who both played over 70 tests tackling bigger players. Horan was 19/20 when he was first capped and won a RWC at 21.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

goose81 wrote:Agree, we seem to have a serious fear of throwing youngsters in Ireland. If he was welsh he would have been capped regardless of size, when do you think the next Fitzgerald will be capped age 19. I'm not joking I'd say we will be waiting 20 years. (And no the age he was capped has nothing to do with his injuries)
And this serves the Welsh better somehow?
MrBunhead

Post by MrBunhead »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Exactly and I've seen people argue that he isn't international quality despite not playing a single test. Ringrose is the same size as Tim Horan and Conrad Smith who both played over 70 tests tackling bigger players. Horan was 19/20 when he was first capped and won a RWC at 21.
Ringrose has played well for Leinster but his form isn't that of someone pushing for an Irish cap. He hasn't been consistently amazing but has been mostly good, I did think towards the end of the season he started to look like a young inexperienced player in some games.

Payne, Marshall, Henshaw, would all be ahead of him in the rankings for an Irish start for me.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Henshaw's form is better than some people who have been Ireland regulars the past 12 months, but not in his position. He's unlucky in that there are quite a few options at 13 for Ireland at the moment, and crucially the likes of Henshaw, Payne and Luke Marshall are a bit bulkier than he is. We'll never see a Ringrose/Olding center pairing take the field for Ireland unless there's a real emergency.
FravBront

Post by FravBront »

I like Ringrose and think he has great potential but I dont understand why some think that hes deserving of a ireland squad spot (or team spot) yet. Hes not done enough to justify it in my view.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

The unfortunate thing for Ringrose and McCloskey is that the three young lads that played centre in SA did superbly well and his new teammate did so at 13. It's hardly likely to derail Ringrose but it just might postpone his international debut a little. A lot will depend on how Kiss sees things at ulster
hermie

Post by hermie »

I reckon Ringrose will be capped this coming season.

Hansen has extended. Can we start to hope?
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

It would appear that Henshaw, Olding, Payne, Marshall and McCloskey are ahead of Ringrose in the centre pecking order given Schmidt's recent selections, so I'd say he won't be capped for a while unless there is an injury crisis.

I'd like to see him given a go at wing though, given that Arnie and Tommy probably won't be around at international level in 2 or 3 years. Ideally at the expense of Daverage.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

I would have had no qualms with Ringrose on the wing from the SA tour. A lot will depend on form going forward and playing with our most experienced (and seemingly), first choice, young centre will help Ringrose. There's no pressure on Joe to cap him though. It's a good position to be in
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

I'd say Ringrose would be likely to get a cap against Canada this November, form permitting.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

unseenwork wrote:I'd say Ringrose would be likely to get a cap against Canada this November, form permitting.
Very true actually considering the timing of the games and the travel
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

goose81 wrote:Wonder why we see so few supercars here? Average Ferrari would be 100k more here due to vrt that's why you see so many northern reges. Cheaper to buy some 20k cottage in thw middle of nowhere up north and register the car there.
Nowhere is able to service them down here. There's so few specialty dealers in the first place and they sure as heck don't service the cars. There's one or two places up north that service/repair them but it becomes a pain in the neck when the car has to be put on a flatbed and sent over to the UK if it has even a minor issue
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

A lot of the higher spec cars have been shipped back out of Ireland in the last few years due to the VRT rebate. A scheme I have never really gotten my head around, I can't understand the wider benefit and to Revenue of handing back cash and reducing the quality of cars in the country.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

Though wouldn't you lads have saved back that tax through the cheaper fuel in the long run?
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Exactly and I've seen people argue that he isn't international quality despite not playing a single test. Ringrose is the same size as Tim Horan and Conrad Smith who both played over 70 tests tackling bigger players. Horan was 19/20 when he was first capped and won a RWC at 21.
Tim if I recall looked more powerfully built and had a bigger chin.
crouchy

Post by crouchy »

goose81 wrote:

It's not just the interior.

I drive a Focus but mine is the UK model and mine has more horsepower than the Focus' you can buy in Ireland, even the exact same model.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Leinsterman wrote:
goose81 wrote:Wonder why we see so few supercars here? Average Ferrari would be 100k more here due to vrt that's why you see so many northern reges. Cheaper to buy some 20k cottage in thw middle of nowhere up north and register the car there.
Nowhere is able to service them down here. There's so few specialty dealers in the first place and they sure as heck don't service the cars. There's one or two places up north that service/repair them but it becomes a pain in the neck when the car has to be put on a flatbed and sent over to the UK if it has even a minor issue
Porsche's biggest problem in China is the after service. They sell boat loads of cars but most mechanics are peasants who weld with swimming goggles on. I met a lad there whose job it was to train local guys how to fix them but said they were pissing into the wind. Doesn't stop them selling though.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Rumham wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
Porsche's biggest problem in China is the after service. They sell boat loads of cars but most mechanics are peasants who weld with swimming goggles on. I met a lad there whose job it was to train local guys how to fix them but said they were pissing into the wind. Doesn't stop them selling though.
Russia was the same. Sell you anything, but service it? The main dealers were just beginning to roll-out service centres across the spine of Russia as I was leaving. The mentality used to be very much "You were man enough to buy (steal) it. Now be man enough to fix it".
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

lorcanoworms wrote:
Tim if I recall looked more powerfully built and had a bigger chin.
Eh...
Horan is flipping tiny, way shorter than the other two.
There is no way he's the height wiki says he is.
overthehillprop

Post by overthehillprop »

Munster confirm the signing of Stormers lock Jean Kleyn on a 3 year deal.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/22863.php
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

project players are such a joke.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

irishrugbyua wrote:project players are such a joke.
A blooming disgrace.
sewa

Post by sewa »

6 ft 8 inches, 118kg, looks like it should be a superb signing as long as he doesn't turn up injured like so many before him
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

I jumped to very premature conclusions on seeing his highlights video which was posted a few weeks back. Thought he seemed to be a one-paced contact junkie. Appears he's a decent lineout operator as well, so might be more than the grunt to his bow. I may have been hugely premature (and certainly guilty of not having watched the , ehhh, gripping, highlights reel to its conclusion. I confess I got bored to tears after the first two and a half minutes of trundling).

In my defence, at my age, I'm just grateful to be ejaculating at all.

Not that grunt in the row would be anything to be sniffed at for us tbh.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Jean?

Yes Rassie?

I want you to get in behind this distinctly average lump of a prop and drive his coccyx through the top of his skull.

Shit Rassie, you sure?

Oh yeah. I'm sure.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

George Naoupu signing for Harlequins I think