The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
JoeMangled

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by JoeMangled »

Who cares. Furlong and McGrath will maramalise them.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Mullet 2 wrote:Rest in peace Doc
+1.

I thought he was still a relatively young man ?
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Porterbelly1 wrote:
hermie wrote:I'd love to see TOH there as he's been going so well but I understand why he won't be. Wet weather and no Sexton means a safer call or two have to be made. TOH will get his chance on another day.

On the other hand, delighted for John Ryan who's been nothing short of a revelation this season. We really should have them in the pack. The only thing making me think twice is that I've said that with Leinster once or twice this season when it hasn't quite come to pass. Hopefully Easterbunny has them well prepped for a big one.
Because the sun always shines at the Sportsground
:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
SASP

Post by SASP »

Just seen the English team. For all the talk about injuries they've still managed to put out a very strong pack.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Porterbelly1 wrote:
hermie wrote:I'd love to see TOH there as he's been going so well but I understand why he won't be. Wet weather and no Sexton means a safer call or two have to be made. TOH will get his chance on another day.

On the other hand, delighted for John Ryan who's been nothing short of a revelation this season. We really should have them in the pack. The only thing making me think twice is that I've said that with Leinster once or twice this season when it hasn't quite come to pass. Hopefully Easterbunny has them well prepped for a big one.
Because the sun always shines at the Sportsground
Fair point but Ireland don't play like Connacht and will take a different approach. You can maximize what TOH offers better on a dry track.
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Diego wrote:Former Leinster doctor and long time Old Wesley member Professor Arthur Tanner has passed away. As nice a man as you'll ever meet.

RIP

Terrible news. Do you know if he was ill or was it sudden Diego? RIP.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Willie Falloon wrote:
Flametop wrote:
danthefan wrote:Let's all just pray Jackson plays the 80. In fact a single injury in the backs weakens us significantly, any position.
Let's pray that Jackson doesn't punt at all.
Run everything.
Wel, according to the Scottish thread, they reckon they have the far superior backs. I reckon they're full of dung. :nod:
They certainly do in the outside backs. I reckon we have it in the centres and halfbacks, whether Jackson or Sexton start, presuming that Murray is at 9.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Well would you look who it is
Diego

Post by Diego »

I think, don't quote me on this now, but I think he's been sick for a while with cancer.

@epaddy
CM11

Post by CM11 »

SASP wrote:Just seen the English team. For all the talk about injuries they've still managed to put out a very strong pack.
Part of their issue was LH but Marler has made a miraculous recovery from a fractured leg.
epaddy

Post by epaddy »

Diego wrote:I think, don't quote me on this now, but I think he's been sick for a while with cancer.

@epaddy
Cheers, didnt know him myself but my folks would have, a gentleman by all accounts.
SASP

Post by SASP »

CM11 wrote:
SASP wrote:Just seen the English team. For all the talk about injuries they've still managed to put out a very strong pack.
Part of their issue was LH but Marler has made a miraculous recovery from a fractured leg.
Roids
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

epaddy wrote:
Diego wrote:Former Leinster doctor and long time Old Wesley member Professor Arthur Tanner has passed away. As nice a man as you'll ever meet.

RIP

Terrible news. Do you know if he was ill or was it sudden Diego? RIP.

RIP a true rugby man
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Feck it lads, was walking the hound this morning and she unearthed some tube of lip balm which had dropped out of some pocket. Mangled it before I could get it away from her.

Now she's in the office with me as she usually is and the sickly sweet waxy stink off the lipbalm is everywhere. I'm getting flashbacks to an old GF I'd rather not be reminded of.

Maybe I should introduce the hound to gin. That seemed to do the trick 20 odd years ago...
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

redderneck wrote:Feck it lads, was walking the hound this morning and she unearthed some tube of lip balm which had dropped out of some pocket. Mangled it before I could get it away from her.

Now she's in the office with me as she usually is and the sickly sweet waxy stink off the lipbalm is everywhere. I'm getting flashbacks to an old GF I'd rather not be reminded of.

Maybe I should introduce the hound to gin. That seemed to do the trick 20 odd years ago...
What, are you planning to ride your dog?
hermie

Post by hermie »

Lenny wrote:
redderneck wrote:Feck it lads, was walking the hound this morning and she unearthed some tube of lip balm which had dropped out of some pocket. Mangled it before I could get it away from her.

:lol: was just about to ask the same
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Lenny wrote:

:lol:

Nah. Just let her down gently.

Seriously though - it's just one of those faint odours which I cannot fecking stand. For whatever reason it eats away at me.
hermie

Post by hermie »

CM11 wrote:
Daly ahead of Nowell on the wing is interesting. Will Itoje go back to the row when Haskell is fully match fit?

Scott Williams finally ahead of Jamie Roberts for Wales.
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

Munster: Jaco Taute; Calvin Nash, Francis Saili, Dan Goggin; Ronan O'Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal Capt, Duncan Williams; Peter McCabe, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Dave Foley; Dave O'Callaghan, Conor Oliver, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Kevin O'Byrne, Dave Kilcoyne, Brian Scott, Darren O'Shea, Billy Holland, Tommy O'Donnell, Angus Lloyd, Rory Scannell
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Hogg
Maitland
Jones
Dunbar
Seymour
Russell
Laidlaw

Dell
Brown
Fagerson
Gray
Gray
Wilson
Watson
Strauss

Ford
Reid
Berghan
Swinson
Barclay
Price
Weir
Bennett

Kept a bit of bench impact in the forwards at least. Front row can be gone after. Equally, they might fancy a shot at our lineout. Good pace in that backline. They will look to shift us around no doubt. Need to play keep ball.
MorseCode

Post by MorseCode »

cfm93 wrote:
Munster: Jaco Taute; Calvin Nash, Francis Saili, Dan Goggin; Ronan O'Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal Capt, Duncan Williams; Peter McCabe, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Dave Foley; Dave O'Callaghan, Conor Oliver, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Kevin O'Byrne, Dave Kilcoyne, Brian Scott, Darren O'Shea, Billy Holland, Tommy O'Donnell, Angus Lloyd, Rory Scannell
That's Keatley on the bench for Ireland so.

I thought Dave Foley was out with a wrist injury?

Really looking forward to seening Nash play! :thumbup:
hermie

Post by hermie »

redderneck wrote:Hogg
Maitland
Jones
Dunbar
Seymour
Russell
Laidlaw

Dell
Brown
Fagerson
Gray
Gray
Wilson
Watson
Strauss

Ford
Reid
Berghan
Swinson
Barclay
Price
Weir
Bennett

Kept a bit of bench impact in the forwards at least. Front row can be gone after. Equally, they might fancy a shot at our lineout. Good pace in that backline. They will look to shift us around no doubt. Need to play keep ball.
Excellent back three as expect. Murray will have to be on song to keep them cornered. Should be a good tussle in the lineout. Surprised Barclay is not starting.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

MorseCode wrote:
cfm93 wrote:

That's Keatley on the bench for Ireland so.

I thought Dave Foley was out with a wrist injury?

Really looking forward to seening Nash play! :thumbup:
Scannell there suggests Marshall or McCloskey traveling with Ireland.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Having seen the Scottish pack I am reappraising and am now predicting an Irish victory :thumbup:
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Jocks seem quite optimisitic for once
Should be a good game for once rather than the usual walkover
earl the beaver

hermie wrote:
Maitland
Jones
Dunbar
Seymour
Russell
Laidlaw

Dell
Brown
Fagerson
Gray
Gray
Wilson
Watson
Strauss

Ford
Reid
Berghan
Swinson
Barclay
Price
Weir
Bennett

Excellent back three as expect. Murray will have to be on song to keep them cornered. Should be a good tussle in the lineout. Surprised Barclay is not starting.
Pfft, a guy who doesn't even start all the time at Saracens and wasn't good enough for super rugby and a guy who left Ulster as he was 4th choice. Hogg is quality but a plum.

We'll just hold onto the ball.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

hermie wrote:
Maitland
Jones
Dunbar
Seymour
Russell
Laidlaw

Dell
Brown
Fagerson
Gray
Gray
Wilson
Watson
Strauss

Ford
Reid
Berghan
Swinson
Barclay
Price
Weir
Bennett

I don't rate Maitland that highly and Weir like Keatley is a big step down from the starter, what time is the Irish team being announced?
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

30 minutes, I think.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

earl the beaver wrote:
hermie wrote:
Maitland
Jones
Dunbar
Seymour
Russell
Laidlaw

Dell
Brown
Fagerson
Gray
Gray
Wilson
Watson
Strauss

Ford
Reid
Berghan
Swinson
Barclay
Price
Weir
Bennett

Pfft, a guy who doesn't even start all the time at Saracens and wasn't good enough for super rugby and a guy who left Ulster as he was 4th choice. Hogg is quality but a plum.

So you don't rate Seymour- he is doing better than the last guy who left Ulster as 4th choice to Scottish rugby :P
CM11

Post by CM11 »

hermie wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Daly ahead of Nowell on the wing is interesting. Will Itoje go back to the row when Haskell is fully match fit?

Scott Williams finally ahead of Jamie Roberts for Wales.
Nowell missed most of this week due to personal reasons, which is why he's only on the bench, apparently.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Luckycharmer wrote:
So you don't rate Seymour- he is doing better than the last guy who left Ulster as 4th choice to Scottish rugby :P
Seymour is quality, the fact that Earl doesn't rate him merely confirms it
earl the beaver

I don't think you understand the use of that particular smiley LC.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Winnie wrote:Jocks seem quite optimisitic for once
Should be a good game for once rather than the usual walkover
They're optimistic every year at the begining of the championship.

Good Scottish backline, but our scrum will take them apart.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

We've outscored and out defended that Scottish backline for the past 3 years. Jones could be an upgrade, but it's not really clear yet. Hogg and Russell still prone to brain farts on the big stage under pressure. Seymour still an iffy defender and Maitand has a great rep based on a few games when he started in the NH.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Luckycharmer wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
hermie wrote:
Maitland
Jones
Dunbar
Seymour
Russell
Laidlaw

Dell
Brown
Fagerson
Gray
Gray
Wilson
Watson
Strauss

Ford
Reid
Berghan
Swinson
Barclay
Price
Weir
Bennett

who?

Post by who? »

cfm93 wrote:

Eeek. Nash is 19? I remember the good old Munster days when anyone under 30 was 'a youngster'. I hope Taute's lack of pace isn't exposed at 15.. I'll be happy if Munster get anything out of this.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Maitland is solid, but not in the same conversation as Hogg and Seymour, who are quality.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Scotland's 6N record under Cotter is pretty damn poor. Now I will say that they are gradually improving but the question is how much of that is due to him or Townsend and the Glasgow players.
Under previous coaches I'd have been worried about this game and I'm still nervous about it today but I can't see us caving in on Saturday and getting hockeyed. It'll take some moments of brilliance to break us down and win the game and I still think Joe has enough up his sleeve to help us win. Either way, it'll be damn close but our pack is performing incredibly well over the last couple of months and that should see us home.
I'd love it if Murray scored the winning try though or a cheeky drop goal :proud:
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Team announcement put back to 2pm. Why do they always do this
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

paddyor wrote:Team announcement put back to 2pm. Why do they always do this
schmidt loves pissing off the media.