The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Luckycharmer

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Luckycharmer »

DOB wrote:Yeah, I left summer of ‘06 (fcuk that’s forever ago).

2 kids as well? I just heard at the weekend about an old classmate who fell walking in the hills and left 3 littles behind. I don’t know how a family could cope with that.
A friend of mine who was supposed to flying out to Japan for 6 weeks today was instead getting buried today. He was only 49, really fit, played rugby into his 40's though for the Gick. Huge crowd today at his Funeral in Terenure college.
Died in his sleep last w/end of a heart attack, was a huge shock. To be fair he had lived his life to the full but taken far too young!
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Tough on his family and friends.
RIP
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Luckycharmer wrote:

2 kids as well? I just heard at the weekend about an old classmate who fell walking in the hills and left 3 littles behind. I don’t know how a family could cope with that.
A friend of mine who was supposed to flying out to Japan for 6 weeks today was instead getting buried today. He was only 49, really fit, played rugby into his 40's though for the Gick. Huge crowd today at his Funeral in Terenure college.
Died in his sleep last w/end of a heart attack, was a huge shock. To be fair he had lived his life to the full but taken far too young!
Fück was he 49. Not in a million years would I have had him that. Lovely chap. A really lovely chap
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

EverReady wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:

Fück was he 49. Not in a million years would I have had him that. Lovely chap. A really lovely chap
Neither did most of the women he was dating, I remember he was dating this stunning early 20s Brazilian girl who thought he was at least 10 years younger than he was. He got caught out rapid on his birthday when one his friends wished him happy 40 odd birthday on Facebook
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

:lol:
malky

Post by malky »

I know that one is not meant to intrude on 'Official' threads but.........

....if you don't get to 10,000 by the end of this weekend's match .....and ....another stretch ...........we beat you ......I will make it my weekend's ambition to be MR 10,0000
DOB

Post by DOB »

malky wrote:I know that one is not meant to intrude on 'Official' threads but.........

....if you don't get to 10,000 by the end of this weekend's match .....and ....another stretch ...........we beat you ......I will make it my weekend's ambition to be MR 10,0000
When’s kickoff?
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Are PRs hamsters Y10K compatible ?
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

Tremenjus saying Conway larmour stockdale. Crikey.
JoeMangled

Post by JoeMangled »

What a shite panel on against the head.

Up Ireland.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

When's the team being announced?
Always annoying how long Schmidt leaves it, it lends itself to gossip mongering from the chattering podcast classes.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

For the love of god would you cúnts stop responding to and quoting that purple-haired melter. Fúck.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Floppykid wrote:When's the team being announced?
Always annoying how long Schmidt leaves it, it lends itself to gossip mongering from the chattering podcast classes.
It'll be out early in the morning.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

There seems to be a lot of love for Conway at FB. I wonder is it coming from the camp or personal preference. I get the latter but it's just odd that Conway would be preferred given his near complete lack of time there. Did he move there at all during the warm ups?

Anyway, I'll hold my hands up if he is selected there, just a bit inconsistent with what Schmidt normally does. And I'm sure Conway will do well there.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:Tremenjus saying Conway larmour stockdale. Crikey.
That back three is very exciting.
I think a few teams could be cut apart by them if it comes to pass.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

CM11 wrote:I wonder is it coming from the camp or personal preference. I get the latter but it's just odd that Conway would be preferred given his near complete lack of time there. Did he move there at all during the warm ups?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

CM11 wrote:There seems to be a lot of love for Conway at FB. I wonder is it coming from the camp or personal preference. I get the latter but it's just odd that Conway would be preferred given his near complete lack of time there. Did he move there at all during the warm ups?

Anyway, I'll hold my hands up if he is selected there, just a bit inconsistent with what Schmidt normally does. And I'm sure Conway will do well there.
Conway just looks a good deal bigger (not that Conway is huge by any means) than Larmour to my eyes, I'd also trust him to be a bit more composed.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

CM11 wrote:There seems to be a lot of love for Conway at FB. I wonder is it coming from the camp or personal preference. I get the latter but it's just odd that Conway would be preferred given his near complete lack of time there. Did he move there at all during the warm ups?

It would make no sense for Schmidt to put Conway at 15 considering he has never given him a chance there.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Floppykid wrote:

Conway just looks a good deal bigger (not that Conway is huge by any means) than Larmour to my eyes, I'd also trust him to be a bit more composed.
I don't disagree really. It's just odd to develop Larmour as the backup FB and then ignore using him.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

I don't disagree really. It's just odd to develop Larmour as the backup FB and then ignore using him.
Out of interest, what's the stats on number of starts/sub appearances at FB compared to wing for Larmour?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

For all we know Kearney will start this weekend tbh.
I can see why Schmidt gets pissed in a sense with all the leaks though.

Do other camps (not England) have to put up with this amount of Journo's who get leaks etc?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Out of interest, what's the stats on number of starts/sub appearances at FB compared to wing for Larmour?
Basing it on espn:

Larmour has 4 starts at FB, 4 bench appearances there, 2 wing starts, 4 bench appearances and finally 2 bench appearances in the centre.

Conway has 2 FB starts, 1 bench appearance, 7 wing starts, 2 bench appearances and bizarrely 3 bench appearances in the centre.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Floppykid wrote:For all we know Kearney will start this weekend tbh.

Do other camps (not England) have to put up with this amount of Journo's who get leaks etc?
Remember that half the English journos will just be looking for dirt and won't be as cosy with either the payers or the back up staff.

And that probably goes for Wales and SA as well.
Last edited by camroc1 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Floppykid wrote:Marshall could have been a great player if he didn't struggle with head injuries and injuries in general.
As a result of them he's become a nothing player really and I'd say his ship has sailed internationally.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

camroc1 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:For all we know Kearney will start this weekend tbh.

Remember that half the English journos will just be looking for dirt and won't be as cosy with either the payers or the back up staff.
The journos do seem fairly cosy with insiders alright, England's rugby media are a basket case though.
Hopefully they get some sort of scandal from them.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Marshall could have been a great player if he didn't struggle with head injuries and injuries in general.
As a result of them he's become a nothing player really and I'd say his ship has sailed internationally.
Spoiler: show
I'm just being honest.
He was one of my favourite players going but he's been desultory by injury.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

Lets face it; he hasn't exactly blown anyone away with his defensive solidity !

It can be said that he hasn't had enough time to make that instinctive, 'next decision', enough; but we are where we are ...

I kinda like the idea of Conway as primary, & Larmour as backup; because if we're under the pump, & you want one of them to catch a high ball, & make the right tactical next decision ... that's Conway (for me); but if the oppo is going side to side, & they're just punting, & there's an opportunity to counter ... then I think I'd prefer to have Larmour make that catch.

With Scotland; I'd just prefer to have a solid primary FB; & not take the chance.
diarm

Post by diarm »

CM11 wrote:Basing it on espn:

Larmour has 4 starts at FB, 4 bench appearances there, 2 wing starts, 4 bench appearances and finally 2 bench appearances in the centre.

Conway has 2 FB starts, 1 bench appearance, 7 wing starts, 2 bench appearances and bizarrely 3 bench appearances in the centre.
Based on nothing but my own dodgy memory, those numbers don't look right at all. I could swear I've seen Larmour start many more than two games on the wing and I would imagine that while Conway might have replaced a centre, someone else (Ringrose/Earls/Larmour) was shuffled inside while he took his place on the wing or at FB.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

ZappaMan wrote:2:45am kick off where I am for the Scotland game x(

Also, was forced to cancel my Japan "work" trip because we are barred from HK visits currently and couldn't justify an Asia without that leg :(
My connecting flight from Singapore, for work of course, has solved that Tokyo problem. Only 8 hours but makes complete sense.
mickie

Post by mickie »

Larmour, Conway and Ringrose start. The rest as expected.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

diarm wrote:
CM11 wrote:Basing it on espn:

Based on nothing but my own dodgy memory, those numbers don't look right at all. I could swear I've seen Larmour start many more than two games on the wing and I would imagine that while Conway might have replaced a centre, someone else (Ringrose/Earls/Larmour) was shuffled inside while he took his place on the wing or at FB.
Agree that Conway would have moved out to wing if replacing a centre.

The starts are correct though.

Anyway, Larmour at FB as I expected.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Far more worried about our back row than our bs k 3.

Farrell at 23 also.
Means a complete regig of back line if one of the back three get injured.

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-team-scotl ... 1-Sep2019/
bw245

Post by bw245 »

Realistically Larmour was going to start at FB at some stage so why not now? World Cups are all about your less experienced players gaining experience and stepping up and hopefully he can do that. Excited about Conway on the wing.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

mickie wrote:Larmour, Conway and Ringrose start. The rest as expected.
Scannell on the bench and Carbery out weren't flagged either. Beirne also benching which isn't unexpected but with all the talk of Kleyn, still worth pointing out. As is Porter ahead of Ryan.

Ireland (v Scotland):

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Andrew Conway
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Niall Scannell
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Tadhg Beirne
20. Jack Conan
21. Luke McGrath
22. Jack Carty
23. Chris Farrell

Using all our fit backs!
boringperson12

Post by boringperson12 »

No Rob or Big Dev. The Scots have the best chance of beating us for a while.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

I reckon Conway on the wing means Murray is going to box kick a lot.
Larmour needs to take his chance with both hands.
Scotland will test him with kicks, but if they kick loosely he will punish them.

But seriously, that’s the tastiest back 3 we have had in years.
They can cause Scotland lots of problems.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Conan should be starting. Apart from that it's pretty daycent given the injuries.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Just noticed Sean Cronin isn’t on the bench.
That’s a huge call after how well he played last time.
normilet

Post by normilet »

RWC sweepstakes in work.

Drew Fiji and Uruguay.

Too excited for this weekend to care though.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

normilet wrote:RWC sweepstakes in work.

Drew Fiji and Uruguay.

Too excited for this weekend to care though.
I think you’ve grounds for constructive dismissal.