The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
alliswell

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by alliswell »

Diego wrote:I'd go with a 3/4 team v Japan. Give Joey a run because let's face it, he'll need to be fresh.

Larmour
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Stockdale
Carbery
Murray

Kilcoyne
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Henderson
Stander
JvdF
Conan
I'd change Best and not Healy or Sexton but I agree with the sentiment. Do like against Scotland. Our front 5 should be able to do a job again before going on ice til the quarters
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

Fair play to Neil Francis, it’s never grey, it’s always black and white. Last week, it was all doom and gloom as we had to few leaders and too many players out of form. This week, I’m glad to report we are now a match for anyone in the world!
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Trostan wrote:Its Russia next with a B team and 12 days rest for the front liners, so he will pick a 90 per cent team against Japan to avoid a major fudge up.
He will pick his Bok team against Samoa
If he picks his Bok team against Samoa then we're screwed. The Boks play 4 days before that game and against Canada. I could actually see him play the first 15 against Russia.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Minnosu wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Have people forgotten about Japan in 2015 or something
The game where the Boks thought all they had to do is turn up? As I said, attitude and approach more important than exactly who plays.
The team joe picks will tell you what his attitude is. If he picks a second string then he doesn’t respect them. Everyone talking about the quarter final against RSA tells you all you need to know about the attitude of the fans.
Second string =/= lack of respect. You could very much respect a side but still be realistic that you don't need to be sending a full team out, IMO. Stats is right
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Minnosu wrote:
CM11 wrote:
The game where the Boks thought all they had to do is turn up? As I said, attitude and approach more important than exactly who plays.
The team joe picks will tell you what his attitude is. If he picks a second string then he doesn’t respect them. Everyone talking about the quarter final against RSA tells you all you need to know about the attitude of the fans.
No one is saying second string. But there is an opportunity to rotate some players in and not risk aggravating any niggles.

POM is talked about as a doubt but that's based on assuming he had concussion. If he's cleared then he probably will play actually as he didn't get long on the pitch. If he does then I can see Stander being rested. Best played 80 so might not start and I think Kilcoyne has earned a start. So it could be as little as two changes or at most 4 in the pack. The backs are going to be interesting but whatever we pick (based on availability) will be fine.
diarm

Post by diarm »

We've all spent months arguing about what our best team even is. That's the beauty of what Schmidt has done in building a squad for this world cup and picking a few different players for Japan this week doesn't necessarily mean we will be sending out a weaker team.

Personally I would send out the same pack but with Killer and Scannell instead of Healy and Best and Ruddock for O'Mahony. Then Carberry and if they are fit, Earls and Kearney to get some minutes under their belts.

Kilcoyne Scannell Furlong
Hendo Ryan
Ruddock Stander VdFlier
Murray Carberry
Conway Farrell Ringrose Earls
Kearney

Porter, Cronin, Ryan, Beirne, Conan, McGrath, Carty, Larmour

That's in no way a weak or disrespectful side to be sending out.
Ulsters Red Hand

Regardless of fitness, would like to see Ruddock, VdF and Conan out together. Give Stander a break and get Conan some more game time. Kearney back in as well, our second choice full back needs his game time
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Minnosu wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Second string =/= lack of respect. You could very much respect a side but still be realistic that you don't need to be sending a full team out, IMO. Stats is right
A team who is a true contender could send out a second string team and be confident that they would win well. We aren’t that hot.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Minnosu wrote:
CM11 wrote:
A team who is a true contender could send out a second string team and be confident that they would win well. We aren’t that hot.
The fact that it’s contentious about who are the first and second stringers in quite a few positions in the team would dispute that.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Not starting Carty if Sexton isn't playing sends a shit message to other guys playing for a place. Carberry has fùck all game time and Carty is going well.

Sure bring Carberry off the bench but give the guy playing well again.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

So, will Japan risk their first team on us?

They will know that one win over Scotland will give them a historic quarter final spot.
diarm

Post by diarm »

earl the beaver wrote:Not starting Carty if Sexton isn't playing sends a shit message to other guys playing for a place. Carberry has fùck all game time and Carty is going well.

That's a fair point. Carty has earned his start.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

earl the beaver wrote:Not starting Carty if Sexton isn't playing sends a shit message to other guys playing for a place. Carberry has fùck all game time and Carty is going well.

Good point, well made.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

diarm wrote:

If Carty doesn’t start but Joey does, it sends the message to Carty that he won’t be used unless somebody else is injured and that getting Joey back up to speed is more important than giving Carty the shot that he has earned.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Flametop wrote:
diarm wrote:

If Carty doesn’t start but Joey does, it sends the message to Carty that he won’t be used unless somebody else is injured and that getting Joey back up to speed is more important than giving Carty the shot that he has earned.
That message doesn't need to be sent, I'm sure Carty and everyone else is aware of the pecking order.

We need Carbery getting gametime, he's the guy you want as backup to Sexton in the knockout matches. There's no room for sentimental BS
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Yep, Carbery was shit against Italy alright.

I don't think the 'message' will be seen as anything but driving towards trying to win the bloody thing no matter who is picked. If Carbery was playing like a drain, that would be a little bit different but his last two performances for Ireland have been standout good. Better than what Carty has been giving (and that's not a slight on Carty).

If the feeling from Schmidt is that Carbery is clear second then he needs to start this game. He is much further entrenched into Schmidt's gameplan and style than Carty.

If Schmidt thinks it's a lot closer than that and wants to favour Carty's match sharpness then he'll start. But it won't be to send a message or reward anything. It'll be because he wants Carty on the bench in the quarter.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Flametop wrote:So, will Japan risk their first team on us?

They will know that one win over Scotland will give them a historic quarter final spot.
could be on to something - maybe we mutually agree to a game of tag rugby - we don't get a bonus point, can they get a losing one ?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flametop wrote:
diarm wrote:

Sure Carbs only gets a chance when Sexton is injured.

On Sunday sexton could barely walk. Ireland were literally playing with 14men and Schmidt was still slow to put Carty on.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flametop wrote:
diarm wrote:

Sure Carbs only gets a chance when Sexton is injured.

On Sunday sexton could barely walk. Ireland were literally playing with 14men and Schmidt was still slow to put Carty on.
We've been over this. Sexton will stay on as long as he's not impacting play negatively and while you could argue the lie of omission angle, he wasn't negatively impacting play. He was making his tackles and directing play and left the field with us in complete control. That's just the way it's going to be this WC.

So the argument is over who is going to be next in line when he can't actually walk!
Ulsters Red Hand

You're a moron if you think Sexton should have stayed on as he was against Scotland if we were playing the Boks or NZ, even if he isn't "negatively impacting play", or whatever bollocks that means

Playing with 14 men is a massive disadvantage against any decent side, he should have been and should be hooked as soon as he's down
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Does he even lift bro?
For a pro sports man he seems to have no build whatsoever.

[/ROG]
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:You're a moron if you think Sexton would have stayed on as he was against Scotland if we were playing the Boks or NZ, even if he isn't "negatively impacting play", or whatever bollocks that means

Playing with 14 men is a massive disadvantage against any decent side, he should have been and should be hooked as soon as he's down
Wtf? That's exactly what I said. He would have been gone earlier in a tighter game because the opposition would have exploited his injury and he'd have been required to do more.

Negatively impacting play is, well, doing stuff which is harming your team. Which he wasn't. So he was kept on so that he could direct play even if it wasn't through him.

In every game I will always look at a players overall contribution. I think some people on here mark down mistakes much higher than they do good play.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

CM11 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:You're a moron if you think Sexton would have stayed on as he was against Scotland if we were playing the Boks or NZ, even if he isn't "negatively impacting play", or whatever bollocks that means

Wtf? That's exactly what I said. He would have been gone earlier in a tighter game because the opposition would have exploited his injury and he'd have been required to do more.

Negatively impacting play is, well, doing stuff which is harming your team. Which he wasn't. So he was kept on so that he could direct play even if it wasn't through him.

In every game I will always look at a players overall contribution. I think some people on here mark down mistakes much higher than they do good play.
If it's a mistake that we would notice here it's probably a pretty big one.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

alliswell wrote:
CM11 wrote:

If it's a mistake that we would notice here it's probably a pretty big one.
:lol:

You are trying to be funny, right?
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

those 3d clips are very good ....... first time I noticed larmour shoving fagerson (16) into Conway/Wilson, which led to the fumble

re: team for japan, I'm presuming Aki and POM will start seeing as they have passed their HIA's and only got 20 mins yesterday?

Healy
Best
Porter (Furlong's hammy looked a bit iffy at one stage)
Henderson
Kleyn
POM (I'd be giving JVDF's hammys a rest too)
Beirne
Stander
Murray
Carbery (Sexton should sit this one out altogether and get his groin sorted .... if thats even possible)
Earls
Henshaw (is he fit?)
Aki
Stockdale
Kearney

Kilcoyne (on at 50)
Scannell (on at HT if we're winning handy)
Ryan (on at 50)
Ruddock (on for Henderson at 60, Beirne to second row, POM to 7)
Conan (on for Stander at 60)
Mcgrath (on at 60)
Carty (on at 60)
Conway/Larmour/Ringrose (bring whoever it is on at 60 for Stockdale)

I think the above is a nice blend of spreading minutes across the squad, protecting players and respecting japan
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I'd be putting Howley money on Ruddock starting tbh.
Definitely see him starting ahead of Beirne anyway.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Trostan wrote:The Scots didnt seem to be humidity/heat acclimatised and we were.
That wont be a problem for the Boks
Don't underestimate the difference 3 weeks makes to the local climate. It should be grand by mid/late October there.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

I don’t think he has tbh. Carbery closed out the game in Chicago and turned the game in Murrayfield. Carty has had cameos in games that were all done bar the shouting and gave a good account of himself. He hasn’t done enough to take the jersey imo. And I say that as someone who thinks it’s a live question and Carty finished the season gone with the best form of any Irish OH.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Anyone done player ratings yet? Vital.
Diego

Post by Diego »

I see Thomas du Toit has been called up to the Bok squad. He was supposed to go to Ulster right?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

They’re still claiming Sexton just had a bang on his thigh :?
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Just give him the captaincy already Andy.
IRELAND HAVE NOTICED a change in James Ryan in recent times.

The 23-year-old is finding his voice.

Captain of virtually every team he played for through the age-grades, Ryan is a certainty to lead Ireland at senior Test level in the future. Some reckon it will be sooner rather than later.

Already, his leadership is coming to the fore. Those of us on the outside of Ireland’s ‘bubble’ can see him taking responsibility in key moments, watch him being part of important decisions on the pitch, hear him bellowing out to team-mates on the ref mic.

Ryan has been a leader by example since his Ireland debut, but those on inside of Joe Schmidt’s group are seeing and hearing the second row’s growth as a leader first-hand.

“He has a bit to say and he’s pretty stern about saying it as well, which is good,” explains Cian Healy.

“He was fairly quiet at the start and hard to get a bit out of it, but you knew there was something in there. He’s coming out now as a bit of a comic as well, so you’re getting to see the full side of James now.”

While Ryan is growing as a leader, he continues to improve as a player too, with his impact seemingly increasing with every Test he plays.

“It’s pretty hard to live up to the way he started, really,” says Ireland boss Joe Schmidt. “I think it was his second touch against the USA, he might have run about 40 metres to score, so we have the expectation.

“I think he went about 40cm to score at the weekend against Scotland but that was every bit as important. He’s able to physically impose himself a little bit more. He’s always been a super athlete but two years ago he was kind of still finding his way.

“He’s also taking more responsibility for the lineout. Obviously, it was a massive call for him to be running the lineout in Wales in [this year's] final Six Nations game and then it turned out to be very wet, which makes it even more complicated but we thought that he worked his way through that game really well.

“Defensively, he’s just a workaholic. He works so hard that he makes the game easier for the players playing either side of him. I’m sure there are things he’s always working away on and that’s one of the things that I admire most about him – he’s certainly never satisfied with the performance.

“He’s always looking to improve and I think the more players you can have like that, the better position you’re in.”

“It’s incredible what he’s doing and just the shape he’s in,” says Healy. “He’s young, he’s put himself forward to be where he is and he’s worked incredibly hard at it.

“He doesn’t have a ceiling to where he can go to, he just keeps getting better and better and I don’t see it stopping.

“Just watching on, it’s something to take for any of the other players, to see how he trains and how he works. He works on every side of the game. I’ve roomed with him before and he’s sitting in the corner writing his notes before bed. It’s great seeing how much of a professional he is.”
https://www.the42.ie/james-ryan-ireland ... 3-Sep2019/
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

paddyor wrote:

I don’t think he has tbh. Carbery closed out the game in Chicago and turned the game in Murrayfield. Carty has had cameos in games that were all done bar the shouting and gave a good account of himself. He hasn’t done enough to take the jersey imo. And I say that as someone who thinks it’s a live question and Carty finished the season gone with the best form of any Irish OH.
He should be backing Carty until he is sure Carberry is fully fit and in form. Neither Sexton or Carberry seem fully fit, it’s a bad move telling your only for ten that he is an emergency backup.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
They’re still claiming Sexton just had a bang on his thigh :?
As opposed to?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

His real injury
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
paddyor wrote:

He should be backing Carty until he is sure Carberry is fully fit and in form. Neither Sexton or Carberry seem fully fit, it’s a bad move telling your only for ten that he is an emergency backup.
Why doesn't Carberry seem fully fit?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:His real injury
Which is?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

The one that is preventing him from goal kicking
Fritz Lung