The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
diarm

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by diarm »

de_Selby wrote:Just read it, 2 things I liked about it - 1) It reinforced my impression that VDF was motm and 2) This bit:
We also gave Beirne a turnover marking for the incident which saw him yellow-carded. Our view was that the Munster man won the race to the breakdown and got his hands onto the ball just before the arrival of Scotland’s Ali Price.
That card was a complete joke
It really was. A penalty would have been a shocker of a decision but to yellow card him for a textbook steal was ridiculous altogether.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Henderson, Healy and Furlong having low numbers does suggest different roles, especially compared to Best and VDF.

Doesn't really account for everything though, Henderson had a great match.
RWC2015

Post by RWC2015 »

hermie wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:Murray Kinsella has done his ruck marks thing for the Scottish game. It reinforced to me who the top three in the pack were. Healy, Furlong and Hendersons numbers are low but then may be they were given different roles. Bests 42 ruck contributions is phenomenal for a 37 year old.
Rucking has always been why he's in the team. Also having played the full 80 obviously means his stats will be up on what they usually are.
That's a bit mean-spirited.
It was his best performance in years, absolutely outstanding, almost incredible:
On top of his lineout throwing, strong scrummaging, five carries, eight passes, and eight tackles, Best was the busiest Irish player when it came to involvements at the ruck
Not including a side-step and offload....
hermie

Post by hermie »

RWC2015 wrote:
hermie wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:Murray Kinsella has done his ruck marks thing for the Scottish game. It reinforced to me who the top three in the pack were. Healy, Furlong and Hendersons numbers are low but then may be they were given different roles. Bests 42 ruck contributions is phenomenal for a 37 year old.
Rucking has always been why he's in the team. Also having played the full 80 obviously means his stats will be up on what they usually are.
That's a bit mean-spirited.
It was his best performance in years, absolutely outstanding, almost incredible:
On top of his lineout throwing, strong scrummaging, five carries, eight passes, and eight tackles, Best was the busiest Irish player when it came to involvements at the ruck
Not including a side-step and offload....
Didn't mean it to be, I'm a huge Best fanboi. Just not as surprised as some perhaps.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

earl the beaver wrote:Henderson, Healy and Furlong having low numbers does suggest different roles, especially compared to Best and VDF.

He played well but Ryan is the heartbeat of that pack. We are considerably diminished when he doesn't play.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Looking at those ruck marks along with the match stats, and Henderson did about half as much as Ryan during the game.
hermie

Post by hermie »

de_Selby wrote:Just read it, 2 things I liked about it - 1) It reinforced my impression that VDF was motm and 2) This bit:
We also gave Beirne a turnover marking for the incident which saw him yellow-carded. Our view was that the Munster man won the race to the breakdown and got his hands onto the ball just before the arrival of Scotland’s Ali Price.
It was. In a closer game it could have been a huge call. Not untypical of Barnes though who doesn't leave room for much of a contest. Unlike Garces :lol:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

hermie wrote:
It was. In a closer game it could have been a huge call. Not untypical of Barnes though who doesn't leave room for much of a contest. Unlike Garces :lol:
I thought Conan was very unlucky to get pinged for the early tackle as well, it looked perfect timing on the replay.

Regarding the ruckmarks, I agree that Ryan is the heartbeat of the pack, and him doing so much of the heavy one out shifting is what allows stander, Hendersom, POM etc. etc. to make breaks further out the line.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Game this morning worth a watch?
hermie

Post by hermie »

camroc1 wrote: I thought Conan was very unlucky to get pinged for the early tackle as well, it looked perfect timing on the replay.
Ah not sure about that now
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Mullet 2 wrote:Game this morning worth a watch?
Great game one of the best so far, Fijis were just so arrogant and played 7's from the start. Uruguays low tackling was great again much bigger men. Their scrumhalf was very good.
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

Beirnes yellow was a joke but it was a low risk call for Barnes. Match clearly won and he can appear zero tolerance for cynicism. Swings n roundabouts. Wouldn’t rule out a big Game poach/turnover by the time our rwc is over.

Get over Japan and our biggest worry is some bone headed Samoan thuggery. I think we all agree we’ll just send out kleyn...... I think he was picked solely for those games. Best Derek Ryan and hendie are the most irreplaceable units for the qf.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

camroc1 wrote:
hermie wrote:
I thought Conan was very unlucky to get pinged for the early tackle as well, it looked perfect timing on the replay.

Regarding the ruckmarks, I agree that Ryan is the heartbeat of the pack, and him doing so much of the heavy one out shifting is what allows stander, Hendersom, POM etc. etc. to make breaks further out the line.
Stander had a huge shift as well. Big numbers on tackles, carries and rucks. Couple of lineout takes and a stint in the 2nd row. Good to see him back to his best
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Short highlights are already on the WR YouTube page.
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

earl the beaver wrote:Henderson, Healy and Furlong having low numbers does suggest different roles, especially compared to Best and VDF.

Exactly, a Henderson Ryan combo could be up there with a Retallick Whitelock pairing in time.
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Lazy Couch potato wrote:Beirnes yellow was a joke but it was a low risk call for Barnes. Match clearly won and he can appear zero tolerance for cynicism. Swings n roundabouts. Wouldn’t rule out a big Game poach/turnover by the time our rwc is over.

Get over Japan and our biggest worry is some bone headed Samoan thuggery. I think we all agree we’ll just send out kleyn...... I think he was picked solely for those games. Best Derek Ryan and hendie are the most irreplaceable units for the qf.
Murray!
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Nolanator wrote:
Editor must've been halfway to the bar.

Spent almost half the video on the Cibi, skipped two tries altogether and makes a total mess of the endgame.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

lemonhead wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Editor must've been halfway to the bar.

Spent almost half the video on the Cibi, skipped two tries altogether and makes a total mess of the endgame.
Their short highlights are generally dreadful. They'll have extended ones out in a couple of days.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

alliswell wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
hermie wrote:

Stander had a huge shift as well. Big numbers on tackles, carries and rucks. Couple of lineout takes and a stint in the 2nd row. Good to see him back to his best
I like the balance between himself and Conan. Cue the Mills & Boon moodmusic: they enable one another.

Still think there'll be a lineout price to be paid for it against better oppo, but it works across the rest of the phases.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

hermie wrote:
Barnes has form for not allowing the contest. Beirne should have let go when it became clear the penalty wasn't coming and this would have been briefed to the players before the game.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Joe gave us a presentation ages back on how they prep players for refs before games. Instructions will be very specific as to what they can and can't get away with. Joe pointed out that some refs actually ref differently in different areas of the field and also at different times of the game.

This is all communicated to players in advance and he gave a bit of an evil grin when somebody asked what happens if somebody messes up.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

When is team?
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Trostan wrote:

Exactly, a Henderson Ryan combo could be up there with a Retallick Whitelock pairing in time.
Doesn't count if there's no TH lock though
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Irish lad is Garett Dineen from Limerick. One of Len Deneen’s sons.
bw245

Post by bw245 »

Team for Saturday;

R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, C Farrell, J Stockdale; J Carty, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; P O'Mahony, J van der Flier, CJ Stander. Reps: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, T Beirne, R Ruddock, L McGrath, J Carbery, J Larmour.

Conan was due to start but picked up an injury in training.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Full strength bar injuries to Aki/Henshaw and Sexton. :thumbup:
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

Surprised to see Best starting.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

bw245 wrote: Conan was due to start but picked up an injury in training.
The guy is cursed :lol:

Anyway it's a good team. Larmour and Conway will rightly be annoyed at being dropped. Best played the full 80 last weekend, imo he should not feature again until the QF. Also a very well deserved start for Carty, definitely the right call imo.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

bw245 wrote:Team for Saturday;

R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, C Farrell, J Stockdale; J Carty, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; P O'Mahony, J van der Flier, CJ Stander. Reps: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, T Beirne, R Ruddock, L McGrath, J Carbery, J Larmour.

FFS. Decent team, though. Glad they're going full strength. Shepherd's crook for the tight 5 when we pull clear.
Zico

Post by Zico »

bw245 wrote:Team for Saturday;

A lot of respect being shown to Japan in that team.

I'd have liked to see Carberry, McGrath and maybe Ruddock but we'll probably see them later in the group anyway.

Rory Best starting again is a bit of a surprise, he must be busting every last ounce of rugby out of himself before he retires. f**king legend. :)
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

danthefan wrote:

Anyway it's a good team. Larmour and Conway will rightly be annoyed at being dropped. Best played the full 80 last weekend, imo he should not feature again until the QF. Also a very well deserved start for Carty, definitely the right call imo.
I suppose it's the last 5 to 8 rugby games Best will ever play. This one is against the hosts so he was probably very keen to be involved.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Best won't play against Russia and will have minimal involvement against Samoa. He'll be off after 50 against Japan. He'll be grand.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

alliswell wrote:
danthefan wrote:

I suppose it's the last 5 to 8 rugby games Best will ever play. This one is against the hosts so he was probably very keen to be involved.
Not much room for sentimentality I would have thought.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

danthefan wrote:
alliswell wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Not much room for sentimentality I would have thought.
Maybe he's starting because he's captain and still the 'best' hooker?
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Thats probably the qf starting pack.
Options in the backs, Sexton, Aki, Henshaw will need game time
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Willie Falloon wrote: Maybe he's starting because he's captain and still the 'best' hooker?
I'm aware of that you dipshit but being an old man, and having played 80 mins last week, he needs to be managed.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

danthefan wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote: Maybe he's starting because he's captain and still the 'best' hooker?
I'm aware of that you dipshit but being an old man, and having played 80 mins last week, he needs to be managed.
Don’t think there was much need for that
Someone has got out of bed the wrong side today
Zico

Post by Zico »

danthefan wrote:
It's worth the risk putting him in because it wouldn't go down well with the locals if we put out an A side, also it's a good prep for latter stages having a short turnaround.
Diabhal

Post by Diabhal »

If Carty does well I think Carberry won't be in the 23 for the Italian QF
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Looks like Scannell is the only loser after last week. Not trusted from the bench, and then axed from the squad.