The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
RWC2015

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by RWC2015 »

I think POM will almost certainly get the call at 6. Probably the right call to as he's a big game player.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

RWC2015 wrote:I think POM will almost certainly get the call at 6. Probably the right call to as he's a big game player.
But but tackles that time against that team
Zico

Post by Zico »

The team was set long before the tournament started.
If they're fit they play.
Larmour, Conway, Beirne and Kilcoyne have been immense but Kearney, Earls, POM and Healy have made their names turning up on the big day.

Henshaw would have been in a toss of the hat with Bundee Aki too. Henshaw probably getting the call.

The only position we could say we don't have our choice of is at 7. JvdF is a great wing forward but a year ago he'd be our third best option. That's not even giving Tommy O'Donnell a fair crack. Sean O'Brien even at 50% would be an intimidating presence in the team and Dan Leavy would be a shock factor the Kiwis would find hard to handle.

Heaslip would be perfect for this game, freeing up Stander at 6 where he plays his best for Ireland.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Zico wrote:The team was set long before the tournament started.
Larmour, Conway, Beirne and Kilcoyne have been immense but Kearney, Earls, POM and Healy have made their names turning up on the big day.

Henshaw would have been in a toss of the hat with Bundee Aki too. Henshaw probably getting the call.

The only position we could say we don't have our choice of is at 7. JvdF is a great wing forward but a year ago he'd be our third best option. That's not even giving Tommy O'Donnell a fair crack. Sean O'Brien even at 50% would be an intimidating presence in the team and Dan Leavy would be a shock factor the Kiwis would find hard to handle.

Heaslip would be perfect for this game, freeing up Stander at 6 where he plays his best for Ireland.
I have no idea why you've included Healy in that list. Not that Kilcoyne hasn't put his hand up but unlike the other incumbents, Healy is playing well.
eweeg

Post by eweeg »

CM11 wrote:

I have no idea why you've included Healy in that list. Not that Kilcoyne hasn't put his hand up but unlike the other incumbents, Healy is playing well.
He has been playing well enough but seems to have been on the wrong side of the ref at scrum time on a number of occasions.
Zico

Post by Zico »

CM11 wrote: I have no idea why you've included Healy in that list. Not that Kilcoyne hasn't put his hand up but unlike the other incumbents, Healy is playing well.
Fair enough. There's not really anyone else realistically challenging to start.

I'd have Healy every day of the week even when he was recovering from that injury that f**ked him up.

He likes knives. :uhoh: (sards should find another hobby)
DOB

Post by DOB »

CM11 wrote:

No idea why bring Heaslip into it either. Sure wouldn’t it be a deadly backrow if we still had Ferris and Wally and Vic Costello.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Trostan wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Ruddock has to play 6
I thought Bierne went well there at the weekend.

Playing Bierne at 6 could free you up to have POM and Ruddock on the bench.
He’s not up to starting against the AB’s we need power they will deal with Beirne easily
Dont think that they have power in the backrow.

Technique yes, speed to breakdown yes.
Beirne would be a good AB, circumstances allowing
Savea is very powerful and Cane would be too in defence at least.
Gauss

Post by Gauss »

I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw SBW start for them. Think they lack big ball carriers a bit (which we can struggle with).
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

RWC2015 wrote:Sexton saying there in press conference that he was going down after to get Joe's playbook for the game.

AKA the MOOVEZ :shock:

it's finally happening folks :nod:
Hansen is actually shit scared of Joe which is quite funny
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Gauss wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw SBW start for them. Think they lack big ball carriers a bit (which we can struggle with).
They will have watched England - read can’t give them the power that Billy V has but we were clueless dealing with Tuilagi. Henshaw Ringrose will be better though.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Who claimed Savea is not powerful :lol:
Anyway we need power to balance our backrow not to counteract theirs specifically
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Gauss wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw SBW start for them. Think they lack big ball carriers a bit (which we can struggle with).
They will have watched England - read can’t give them the power that Billy V has but we were clueless dealing with Tuilagi. Henshaw Ringrose will be better though.
The warm up game or the six nations? They won't even glance at the former.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Of course they will - you think they don’t scrutinise every single match?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Of course they will - you think they don’t scrutinise every single match?
I think they'll have had a junior look at it with the conclusion that there's nothing to learn.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

eweeg wrote:
CM11 wrote:

He has been playing well enough but seems to have been on the wrong side of the ref at scrum time on a number of occasions.
Not alone there, Kilcoyne has been pinged in the scrum too this cup.
Gauss

Post by Gauss »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Yeah not even close. Closest thing is probably Savea but even he isn’t an out and out power player.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

I reckon Joe would have gone with Aki-Henshaw
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Not after Henshaw's cameo at 13 at the weekend.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

CM11 wrote:Not after Henshaw's cameo at 13 at the weekend.
And Akis cameo of the entire RWC
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

I disagree.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Not to mention Ringrose's form.

Earl, Ringrose has been picked for every big game to date. I'd be surprised if it was going to change.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Has Ringrose been our best back this tournament so far? Very hard to think of who else it would be. Started against Scotland and put in a quality performance against Japan even though we lost. I'd say he was fairly nailed on.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

danthefan wrote:Has Ringrose been our best back this tournament so far? Very hard to think of who else it would be. Started against Scotland and put in a quality performance against Japan even though we lost. I'd say he was fairly nailed on.
Larmour has been excellent, and of course Sexy.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

Personally think that Farrell at 12 and Ringrose at 13 is a great combo.
Zico

Post by Zico »

Adetroy wrote:Personally think that Farrell at 12 and Ringrose at 13 is a great combo.
Are you nuts?

Farrell cost us the game against Japan, running into Stander

Joe does not forgive mistakes like that.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

If Joe has a pair of balls he will drop O’Mahoney, Earls and Kearney. Picks Larmour at full-back, Conway wing and Stockdale by the skin of his teeth on the other side. Either Beirne or Ruddock at six.
HighKingLeinster

Adetroy wrote:If Joe has a pair of balls he will drop O’Mahoney, Earls and Kearney. Picks Larmour at full-back, Conway wing and Stockdale by the skin of his teeth on the other side. Either Beirne or Ruddock at six.
Yes to literally all of this
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

You're mental if you think he should drop Kearney for this one. The man loves playing the kiwis.
HighKingLeinster

alliswell wrote:You're mental if you think he should drop Kearney for this one. The man loves playing the kiwis.
Look if we needed a handsome fella to nail some tart on a balcony then Rob is your man. But Jordan is the chosen one who can bring balance to the backline and help destroy the dark jersey side
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Adetroy wrote:If Joe has a pair of balls he will drop O’Mahoney, Earls and Kearney. Picks Larmour at full-back, Conway wing and Stockdale by the skin of his teeth on the other side. Either Beirne or Ruddock at six.
Hard to find fault with any of that
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

HighKingLeinster wrote:
alliswell wrote:You're mental if you think he should drop Kearney for this one. The man loves playing the kiwis.
Look if we needed a handsome fella to nail some tart on a balcony then Rob is your man. But Jordan is the chosen one who can bring balance to the backline and help destroy the dark jersey side
Nah, false prophet, innit. He's a dodgy tree and he'll bring dodgy fruit.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Ordinarily I'd be opposed to picking Kearney but he's a big game player. Like POM, he's always got a big game somewhere left in him
CM11

Post by CM11 »

You pick Kearney for this one, first because he's always played well against them and more importantly because it allows us push up harder on them as he can cover the backfield on his own.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Larmour hasn't put a foot wrong in the RWC so far. Start him.

Edit - 18 pages in 36 hours. Good going. Longest match thread in bored history coming up?
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

HighKingLeinster wrote:
:lol:
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:Ordinarily I'd be opposed to picking Kearney but he's a big game player. Like POM, he's always got a big game somewhere left in him
So that’s POM, Besty and Rob always have a big game somewhere in them
A fifth of the team we are hoping go to the well and it isn’t dry
Too big a risk for me
Besty has to start as captain but the other two you have to go with form so they are out
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Winnie wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:Ordinarily I'd be opposed to picking Kearney but he's a big game player. Like POM, he's always got a big game somewhere left in him
So that’s POM, Besty and Rob always have a big game somewhere in them
A fifth of the team we are hoping go to the well and it isn’t dry
Too big a risk for me
Besty has to start as captain but the other two you have to go with form so they are out
Is Kearney in bad form?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Kearney is in Kearney form. Which means he'll be fine.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

CM11 wrote:Kearney is in Kearney form. Which means he'll be fine.
Catch ball
Truck ball into contact
Rinse and repeat

At least Larmour would make the kiwis think