The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Adetroy

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Adetroy »

Loads has been said for the past few days about why we failed. The answer is complex and we should not make any sweeping judgements. Nevertheless, what made us successful between World Cup’s is the very thing that has come back to haunt us. Whilst other teams were taking risks and chances we chose to go down the route of the tried and tested.
That may have won us several Championships, but in the red hot fire of a world cup campaign which requires ruthless decisions, Joe Schmidt utterly failed. This is kind of a tragedy for those of us, like me who regard him as the greatest ever Irish coach. And yet, his whole approach to selection sowed the seeds of disaster. It’s all very well responding to the disaster of 2015 by widening the depth of the Irish player pool, but when you don’t use them when they are in form, what’s the f**king point? Especially when your stalwarts are so clearly out of form. When I saw the team on Thursday morning, my heart sank and I resigned myself to defeat and possibly a beating. This does not take any enormous prescient or skill to see the truth. In the end, Joe Schmidt bottled it. Perhaps we would never have beaten the all Blacks, but his selection decision-making make sure that in this game, we never could.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Adetroy wrote:Loads has been said for the past few days about why we failed. The answer is complex and we should not make any sweeping judgements. Nevertheless, what made us successful between World Cup’s is the very thing that has come back to haunt us. Whilst other teams were taking risks and chances we chose to go down the route of the tried and tested.
That may have won us several Championships, but in the red hot fire of a world cup campaign which requires ruthless decisions, Joe Schmidt utterly failed. This is kind of a tragedy for those of us, like me who regard him as the greatest ever Irish coach. And yet, his whole approach to selection sowed the seeds of disaster. It’s all very well responding to the disaster of 2015 by widening the depth of the Irish player pool, but when you don’t use them when they are in form, what’s the f**king point? Especially when your stalwarts are so clearly out of form. When I saw the team on Thursday morning, my heart sank and I resigned myself to defeat and possibly a beating. This does not take any enormous prescient or skill to see the truth. In the end, Joe Schmidt bottled it. Perhaps we would never have beaten the all Blacks, but his selection decision-making make sure that in this game, we never could.
He got a few selections wrong but no XV we put out were going to live with the all blacks playing like that
JoeyFantastic

Post by JoeyFantastic »

Adetroy wrote:Loads has been said for the past few days about why we failed. The answer is complex and we should not make any sweeping judgements. Nevertheless, what made us successful between World Cup’s is the very thing that has come back to haunt us. Whilst other teams were taking risks and chances we chose to go down the route of the tried and tested.
I am absolutely fine with winning Championships tbh. Ireland winning a RWC is an unlikely event, it's madness to prioritise it over the year-in, year-out Championship rugby.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

feckwanker wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:Ross is nowhere as bad as being made out on here. I remember Sexton being gimpy as fück when he started out
Of course he isn't

This bored is massively full of shit. :lol:
So is POM still as shit as you're making him out to be?
Worse.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
He got a few selections wrong but no XV we put out were going to live with the all blacks playing like that
Very much this.

They "shocked and awed" us for the first 25 minutes and that was match over.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Very much this.

Really? I saw a significant number of players making howling errors of judgement and skill which had nothing to do with the excellence of the all Blacks.
quarter2four

Post by quarter2four »

Amazing what momentum can do in a game of rugby but with selection and a stale game plan compounded by errors we never had a chance of gaining any momentum.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Adetroy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Very much this.

Really? I saw a significant number of players making howling errors of judgement and skill which had nothing to do with the excellence of the all Blacks.
You've never heard of pressure ?

In the first 25 minutes we had about 30% possession.

That was our game plan over as they were 17 -0 up, and about to go 24 - 0 up.

Our game plan was to have the 70% possession, but that never happened.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Sure what could they do eh?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Floppykid wrote:Sure what could they do eh?
Start harder, and much more accurately.

The ABs worked long and hard at their plan to beat us, which shows how seriously they took the match.

We weren't able to compete for the first 25 minutes, and when we did we fúcked up, or were beaten by superb play.

After that the match was over.
DOB

Post by DOB »

camroc1 wrote:

The ABs worked long and hard at their plan to beat us, which shows how seriously they took the match.

We weren't able to compete for the first 25 minutes, and when we did we fúcked up, or were beaten by superb play.

I didn’t think the ABs did anything “superb” to beat us until Read’s offload for Taylor’s try. Until then they had just gone through the motions of being New Zealand. We gave them cheap field position and possession, and they turned it into 2 good tries off defensive errors, and then a missed pass on a halfway-promising Irish attack became try number 3 and the dj put on Lizzo’s album.

If we had played our game plan and executed, the most likely scenario was similar to the week after Chicago, with a tight game settled by a bit of Beaudy (or Mo’unga, or Read, or whoever) magic, and maybe a dodgy Nige call on a yellow/red card decision to add a bit of spice to the post-game discussions. We didn’t execute, so we got a blowout.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

DOB wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

I didn’t think the ABs did anything “superb” to beat us until Read’s offload for Taylor’s try. Until then they had just gone through the motions of being New Zealand. We gave them cheap field position and possession, and they turned it into 2 good tries off defensive errors, and then a missed pass on a halfway-promising Irish attack became try number 3 and the dj put on Lizzo’s album.

If we had played our game plan and executed, the most likely scenario was similar to the week after Chicago, with a tight game settled by a bit of Beaudy (or Mo’unga, or Read, or whoever) magic, and maybe a dodgy Nige call on a yellow/red card decision to add a bit of spice to the post-game discussions. We didn’t execute, so we got a blowout.
I thought the tap back of Sextons (normally superb) PK to the 5m line showed how switched on they were compared to us. ANd it was in the head we were beaten.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Mullet 2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:Ross is nowhere as bad as being made out on here. I remember Sexton being gimpy as fück when he started out
Of course he isn't

This bored is massively full of shit. :lol:
He isnt bad but I do think he will be passed by his brother within 2 years. Byrne the younger looks bloody good.
sewa

Post by sewa »

New Zealand won the collisions. Once you lose those its fooked. Front five showed no power. Game over
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

sewa wrote:New Zealand won the collisions. Once you lose those its fooked. Front five showed no power. Game over
So your solution to our problems would be bigger and stronger men? Is this why Munster are plundering the Highveldt of able bodied men of Dutch extraction?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

alliswell wrote:
sewa wrote:New Zealand won the collisions. Once you lose those its fooked. Front five showed no power. Game over
So your solution to our problems would be bigger and stronger men? Is this why Munster are plundering the Highveldt of able bodied men of Dutch extraction?
Our lads looked completely fatigued. The solution is probably PED’s. If people are swallowing the sub 2 hour marathon sure why not
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Adetroy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Very much this.

So which players would you have selected that wouldn’t have been affected by this team wide meltdown
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I too would like to hear of this bunch of lads left in Ireland who would surely have delivered victory against the ABs. (Big Dev aside who has done it twice)
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

So here is my radical plan for turning things around.

We pick the lad that's playing the best.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Mullet 2 wrote:So here is my radical plan for turning things around.

We pick the lad that's playing the best.
Will the IRFU allow that if it’s not a centrally contracted player?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

They like to win, they're not the gestapo
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

So some lad on €350-400k would be dropped for another on €80k.

I’m suspicious of that one.

Far too much security in central contracts.
They take the hunger away.

Performance bonuses should be higher.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Interesting blueprint for destroying provincial rugby
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

There’s definitely pros and cons for central contracts.
The pros are obvious.

However, if competition for places on an international team creates the required level of hunger/desire to be the best, then we need to have a look at anything that reduces that competition.
I’m not suggesting we do away with central contracting.
Maybe we need to have a look at the length of the contracts, the amounts paid vs performance related payments.

Put simply, what’s the value in overpaying a player whose form doesn’t merit him being picked for Ireland and what’s the point in picking him anyway because at some point in the past he was deemed worthy to award a central contract?

Form can fluctuate in both directions.
Coaches need to be allowed to pick the players that are playing well and perhaps there should be more flexibility in salaries based on who is getting picked and who isn’t.
Perhaps the salary negotiations need to happen more often.
Last edited by Flametop on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Central contracts didnt take the hunger away in 2018.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

There were plenty of lads who put in an odd big performance but were very inconsistent otherwise.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Flametop wrote:There were plenty of lads who put in an odd big performance but were very inconsistent otherwise.

73% win ration says you're talking out your Swiss
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Mullet 2 wrote:
Flametop wrote:There were plenty of lads who put in an odd big performance but were very inconsistent otherwise.

It’s not tennis. It’s a team sport.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

JoeyFantastic wrote:
I am absolutely fine with winning Championships tbh. Ireland winning a RWC is an unlikely event, it's madness to prioritise it over the year-in, year-out Championship rugby.
they're not mutually exclusive - we don't need to win it to consider it a successful world cup but crashing and burning spectacularly every time is getting old - I'm disappointed with the comments from Joe on his arrival back - a shit load of excuses about slippery conditions, not having enough time to prepare, I think the only one he left out was the late team bus.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Flametop wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

It’s not tennis. It’s a team sport.
Jesus, I think Munster have the highest win % in the Heineken cup or close to the highest number of wins ; we're back lads !
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Mullet, you said that the solution is to pick the player playing the best.
Let’s hear your solution to balancing that against dropping a player out of form that’s been paid €400k a year by the IRFU and maybe more from Vodafone an other sponsors.
boringperson12

Post by boringperson12 »

So Joe and Andy just sit there and get told who to pick? :uhoh:
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

boringperson12 wrote:So Joe and Andy just sit there and get told who to pick? :uhoh:
For centrally contracted players, might it be just understood?

How many centrally contracted not playing well have been dropped?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

boringperson12 wrote:So Joe and Andy just sit there and get told who to pick? :uhoh:
Well the IRFU did tell Deccie who to pick, so...
ruckinhell

Post by ruckinhell »

Have deliberately kept away from media and forum since Saturday, there is way too much misery porn from the rugby journos and triumphalism from the anti-rugby lads- depressing stuff.

Some of this may be redrebel but some general thoughts:

I was over in Japan for the first few weeks of the tournament and Sexton's comments about his surprise at the level of angst in Ireland about our performance levels felt reasonably true at the time- fans over there weren't too panicked over the group stages. Win over Scotland was great, win over Samoa also good. Russian game was comfortable but bitty and the Japan game was a surprise but made more sense when they also beat Scotland.

NZ played unbelievably well, they were almost error free for the parts of the game that mattered. We were far from it and play a style that requires 95% perfection to work. The Joe gameplan also means we couldn't go more than a score behind top tier teams and once we had to chase a score it multiplied our errors.

Did our style of play evolved much since the 2015 RWC? We never really moved our play past attritional one out carrying in the opposition 22 with an aim to dominate territory and possession. The Joe model peaked in 2018 and it was clear that England, Wales and NZ have all sussed it out completely- I'm pretty sure that SA would have done us over likewise had we played them instead of NZ.

Our obsession with winning a QF is an odd one, the idea that we would turn down trophies and 6N titles to focus on winning a game that doesn't actually give you a prize is daft. In the last RWC cycle we:

Beat ABs for first time
Won first pro tour down under
Won first Test in SA

Also won a Grand Slam (2nd in pro period)

All of these things were huge achievements, especially the AB victory which was a massive mental block for this team. Yet when we lost the QF these firsts were subsequently dismissed by critics as "friendlies that don't matter". I think if we sacrificed everything to focus on a RWC, had 3 mediocre 6N campaigns and then won a handy QF against Scotland or somesuch only to be knocked out in the semi we'd be getting the exact same criticism as we are now because the goal posts would shift to criticism that "you sad rugby lads are celebrating the winning of a QF". Until we win the RWC this criticism won't go away and I'm not sure that turning a QF into some holy grail is necessarily the best way to actually win such a game.
Last edited by ruckinhell on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Enough about the past lads, what about the future.
Been browsing through the list of players who've come through the U20s in the last few years (4 of which played on Saturday).

IRUA can fill in a few more names, but who has emerged as the most promising candidates (esp those already getting provincial gametime)?

1. A Porter*
2. R Kelleher
3. T O'Toole

Nothing yet on the LH side, now that Porter has been moved (ironically TH is now looking promising with O'Toole and Clarkson having emerged).
We seriously need Kelleher to step up and play well enough to be fast-tracked into the Seniors.

5. J Ryan

A few promising candidates, but anyone actually getting provinical starts apart from the annointed one?

6. M Deegan, D McCann
7. W Connors, S Penney, J Hodnett*
8. C Doris, J O'Sullivan

Much more promising area, I seem to recall that Hodnett's future is more likely at 7 than 8?

9. C Casey?
10. H Byrne

12. D Hawkshaw
13. C O'Brien

Plus a few who have gotten senior gametime, just not when the big boys are around

11. J Stockdale
15. J Larmour

There's a few others that have come through without playing at U20s, P Boyle (Connacht backrower) would be one that springs to mind.
Biggest areas of needs coming out of the RWC are Hooker, Backrow, Outhalf & ball-playing Centres - we do have candidates in those positions.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

Flametop wrote:

That's a fairly f**king daft proposition. No coach would agree to that.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Flametop wrote:

That's a fairly f**king daft proposition. No coach would agree to that.
Devin Toner
Andrew Trimble
Ronan O'Gara

Probably loads more.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

Yer Man wrote:Enough about the past lads, what about the future.
Been browsing through the list of players who've come through the U20s in the last few years (4 of which played on Saturday).

IRUA can fill in a few more names, but who has emerged as the most promising candidates (esp those already getting provincial gametime)?

1. A Porter*
2. R Kelleher
3. T O'Toole

Nothing yet on the LH side, now that Porter has been moved (ironically TH is now looking promising with O'Toole and Clarkson having emerged).
We seriously need Kelleher to step up and play well enough to be fast-tracked into the Seniors.

5. J Ryan

A few promising candidates, but anyone actually getting provinical starts apart from the annointed one?

6. M Deegan, D McCann
7. W Connors, S Penney, J Hodnett*
8. C Doris, J O'Sullivan

Much more promising area, I seem to recall that Hodnett's future is more likely at 7 than 8?

9. C Casey?
10. H Byrne

12. D Hawkshaw
13. C O'Brien

Plus a few who have gotten senior gametime, just not when the big boys are around

11. J Stockdale
15. J Larmour

There's a few others that have come through without playing at U20s, P Boyle (Connacht backrower) would be one that springs to mind.
Biggest areas of needs coming out of the RWC are Hooker, Backrow, Outhalf & ball-playing Centres - we do have candidates in those positions.
Wouldn't put O'Toole in as a top prospect, Thomas Clarkson is much better.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Where we have struggled is when we are on top we are rarely knocking it out of the park. Lots of squeaky bum times and that can't be good for the players confidence. Was never sure why we couldn't drive home the advantage but teams often came back into it in the second half. Was it concentration, fitness? I don't know
Not sure on that, we utterly dismantled SA in the Autumn for example.