The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
danthefan

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by danthefan »

Cheers :thumbup:

Now everyone throw a few quid to Holland's fundraiser.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

diarm wrote:I've not really sat down to think about the selection too much because I knew from a few months out that there weren't going to be many Munster lads to be arguing for.

But it's a bit of a disgrace that Ruddock hasn't been picked. He's been the form 6 in the country for a long while if we're being honest and he brings some much needed power and grunt with him.

If they pick the young Leinster lads then fair enough but if we see POM, JVFlier and Stander and he's sat at home then my expectations for the next 4 years under Farrell will be close to zero.

Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Ruddock, VdFlier, Doris
Cooney, Byrne, Stockdale, McCloskey, Ringrose, Conway, Larmour

Killer, Heffernan, Porter, Henderson, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Addison
Physical no messing sixes are somewhat "out of fashion" at the moment. Rugbypass had a good article on it a while back.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Congrats Dan
Double the trouble.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

Munster-fogs wrote:Good interview with Garrett Fitzgerald in the Limerick Leader.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/spor ... m=facebook
Do you think the naming rights on Thomond Park will be sold?
GF: “If you look at the number of naming rights contracts that have happened in this country over the past number of years they are minimal. The obvious one is Kingspan Stadium in Belfast.

“That naming rights was taken by a person who was already an existing sponsor with the province for many, many years who has been hugely supportive of them and wanted to do more to help them, so the opportunity arose that way.

“A lot of small naming right situations have happened in other sports and other facilities across the country for minimal fees.

“In Thomond Park it was part of the finance model day one to do it. We managed to get the place built without that happening. I am out of the loop now, so I am only speaking personally, if the right candidate arrived in the morning, with the right brand who had a genuine interest in doing it, it is a no-brainer to do it.
Then why didn't they do it when they could have cashed in? That's on him and it's a major fcuk up.
crouchy

Post by crouchy »

Rumham wrote:
Munster-fogs wrote:Good interview with Garrett Fitzgerald in the Limerick Leader.

GF: “If you look at the number of naming rights contracts that have happened in this country over the past number of years they are minimal. The obvious one is Kingspan Stadium in Belfast.

“That naming rights was taken by a person who was already an existing sponsor with the province for many, many years who has been hugely supportive of them and wanted to do more to help them, so the opportunity arose that way.

“A lot of small naming right situations have happened in other sports and other facilities across the country for minimal fees.

“In Thomond Park it was part of the finance model day one to do it. We managed to get the place built without that happening. I am out of the loop now, so I am only speaking personally, if the right candidate arrived in the morning, with the right brand who had a genuine interest in doing it, it is a no-brainer to do it.
Then why didn't they do it when they could have cashed in? That's on him and it's a major fcuk up.
I think he is saying that they were planning to get a sponsor for TP but in the end they couldn't sell it for what they thought they could and didn't manage to find a willing party.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Willie Falloon wrote:
Flametop wrote:Quinnie trolls the Nordies.

Why does Quinlan get so much air time down there?

A bit part international at best, treated like an Irish legend.
He was a Munster legend. They're the Liverpool of retired rugby pros.

He was also about the only Munster player of that generation who probably didn't get the caps he deserved.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Wards preview for Leinster senior cup has it between Rock and Michael's with Gonzaga his 3rd strongest side.

Michael's should win, therefore Rock will win.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Rumham wrote:

JP Mcmanus donated 5 million instead.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Uncle Fester wrote:Congrats Dan
Double the trouble.
And half the sleep :lol:

Cheers though.
Zico

Post by Zico »

irishrugbyua wrote:Wards preview for Leinster senior cup has it between Rock and Michael's with Gonzaga his 3rd strongest side.

South side cnuts. x(

Anyone but Rock seriously competing in "the Cup" is a welcome change for Leinster and Irish rugby. Micheal's recent primacy is a good thing. If only Northside schools were given the same credit.

There is a North-South bias on this island for sure.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Zico wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:Wards preview for Leinster senior cup has it between Rock and Michael's with Gonzaga his 3rd strongest side.

South side cnuts. x(

Anyone but Rock seriously competing in "the Cup" is a welcome change for Leinster and Irish rugby. Micheal's recent primacy is a good thing. If only Northside schools were given the same credit.

There is a North-South bias on this island for sure.
Belvedere?

But there just aren't that many rugby schools on DNS.
DOB

Post by DOB »

ZuLu wrote: Maybe not the best quotes to post but congrats Dan. Come a long way since the bloody babbling brook. Very happy for you :thumbup:
Jesus don’t “congratulate” him. My twins are currently refusing to clean up their room ahead of their brother’s first birthday this afternoon. My life is an endless series of school runs, laundry, and cleaning up after the dinner I made that everybody refused to eat.

Dan, for the first 2 years of having twins, you will meet other twin parents who tell you “it gets easier after 6 months/a year/2 years.” Those people are liars. All of them.
DOB

Post by DOB »

crouchy wrote:
Rumham wrote:

I think he is saying that they were planning to get a sponsor for TP but in the end they couldn't sell it for what they thought they could and didn't manage to find a willing party.
I’m also reading from it that Kingspan worked out because they’d been sponsoring Ulster for years anyway. If a long-term Munster sponsor like Toyota/BofI had wanted in, they might’ve gone for it, but changing the name to Ali Baba Park wouldn’t have gone down well.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

DOB wrote:
ZuLu wrote: Maybe not the best quotes to post but congrats Dan. Come a long way since the bloody babbling brook. Very happy for you :thumbup:
Jesus don’t “congratulate” him. My twins are currently refusing to clean up their room ahead of their brother’s first birthday this afternoon. My life is an endless series of school runs, laundry, and cleaning up after the dinner I made that everybody refused to eat.

Dan, for the first 2 years of having twins, you will meet other twin parents who tell you “it gets easier after 6 months/a year/2 years.” Those people are liars. All of them.
:lol:
JoeMangled

Post by JoeMangled »

My two didn't sleep for the first 14 months. So, look forward to that.
Zico

Post by Zico »

JoeMangled wrote:My two didn't sleep for the first 14 months. So, look forward to that.
My snoring never bothers me anyway. :)
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

danthefan wrote:
Double the trouble.

Cheers though.
You fúcking moaning about having loads of chislers again
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

DOB wrote:
crouchy wrote:
Rumham wrote:

I’m also reading from it that Kingspan worked out because they’d been sponsoring Ulster for years anyway. If a long-term Munster sponsor like Toyota/BofI had wanted in, they might’ve gone for it, but changing the name to Ali Baba Park wouldn’t have gone down well.
They could have gotten a deal when the place was in development and prior to the crash. They didn't, why? That's on him.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:6 points down, needing a score, who do we bring on? Luke McGrath

:uhoh:
Why are 6 points down to Scotland?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

paddyor wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:6 points down, needing a score, who do we bring on? Luke McGrath

Indeed, if we are six points down to Scotland, SH will be the least of our problems.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Double the trouble.

Cheers though.
1 ride - 2 kids, he's just pissed off because he knows he's never getting a ride again.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Indeed, if we are six points down to Scotland, SH will be the least of our problems.
He really didn't think it through. The fact he compared McGrath to Cooney when I had Cooney starting (and leaving the field with us 6 points down) suggests a hard wiring argument where he just can't help knock the Leinster player.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

He really didn't think it through. The fact he compared McGrath to Cooney when I had Cooney starting (and leaving the field with us 6 points down) suggests a hard wiring argument where he just can't help knock the Leinster player.
Yeah, and why did we lose to Japan and flop in the World Cup yet again?

Maybe things dont always go to plan, funny enough

And it’s not a Leinster thing, but McGrath hardly fills you with confidence to come off the bench and change the game. Neither does Murray. From that POV it would be better to start him/them, and let Cooney come on and change things a bit
CM11

Post by CM11 »

He might not fill you with confidence but then I've probably watched him in over a hundred more games than you have.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Double the trouble.

Cheers though.
1 ride - 2 kids, he's just pissed off because he knows he's never getting a ride again.
He will in about 14 years
boringperson12

Post by boringperson12 »

CM11 wrote:He might not fill you with confidence but then I've probably watched him in over a hundred more games than you have.
If you can make players better by just watching them, can you come watch Ulster more :P
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Double the trouble.

Cheers though.
Between you and DOB there's too much truth in this thread and I'm too tired to handle it.
Ulsters Red Hand

CM11 wrote:He might not fill you with confidence but then I've probably watched him in over a hundred more games than you have.
Good for you mate
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Yeah, and why did we lose to Japan and flop in the World Cup yet again?

Maybe things dont always go to plan, funny enough

And it’s not a Leinster thing, but McGrath hardly fills you with confidence to come off the bench and change the game. Neither does Murray. From that POV it would be better to start him/them, and let Cooney come on and change things a bit
Because we didn’t have Cooney?

I don’t really recall Cooney coming on to change a game except that one time against Leicester when he came on for.......Shanahan. I mean he couldn’t but change the f**king game. Oh wow, Cooney is a brig improvement on Shanahan!

It’s a dumb argument.
Ulsters Red Hand

It's a dumb argument to suggest that a livelier scrum half is better to bring off the bench than another scrum half who, in my opinion, is better suited to starting a game/less of an impact player?

This bored... x(
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:It's a dumb argument to suggest that a livelier scrum half is better to bring off the bench than another scrum half who, in my opinion, is better suited to starting a game/less of an impact player?

This bored... x(
There's a reason 'zaga boy Cooney left Leinster, and that is simply Micks boy McGrath.
Ulsters Red Hand

camroc1 wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:It's a dumb argument to suggest that a livelier scrum half is better to bring off the bench than another scrum half who, in my opinion, is better suited to starting a game/less of an impact player?

This bored... x(
There's a reason 'zaga boy Cooney left Leinster, and that is simply cause Dublin's a hole
fixed for accuracy
CM11

Post by CM11 »

This bored... x(
A livelier SH?

If you want to go down the try route, McGrath has a better try scoring rate over his Leinster career compared to Cooney at Ulster. He's an excellent player to have to create or score tries. His issues have always been based around the speed of his pass.

Cooney is in fantastic break and support play form this season but you'd have to have avoided a lot of Leinster games to not know it's also McGrath's strength.
DOB

Post by DOB »

danthefan wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Double the trouble.

Cheers though.
Between you and DOB there's too much truth in this thread and I'm too tired to handle it.
Get used to functioning in a state of semi-permanent exhaustion.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

danthefan wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Double the trouble.

Cheers though.
:lol:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Congrats, Dan. :thumbup:
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Indeed. Congrats Dan.

Remember it's perfectly acceptable to fall asleep on the jacks before standing up to wipe and don't let any other fcuker tell you any different.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

This bored... x(
No it’s a dumb argument because you might not actually want a “livelier” scrum half even when you’re down 6 points. Like do you think a livelier sh would have been exactly the tonic our knackered forwards needed against Japan. So I go back to my original question. Why are we down 6 to Scotland?

And Cooneys best work is done as a starter FYI.
Ulsters Red Hand

paddyor wrote:

This bored... x(
No it’s a dumb argument because you might not actually want a “livelier” scrum half even when you’re down 6 points. Like do you think a livelier sh would have been exactly the tonic our knackered forwards needed against Japan. So I go back to my original question. Why are we down 6 to Scotland?

And Cooneys best work is done as a starter FYI.
You were the one who decided I was referring to the Scotland game. It's irrelevant who we're 6 points down to - the point remains the same - if you're losing by any number of point and need to change the game, in my opinion, and no doubt others, I would prefer Cooney off the bench than McGrath
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

I like my players not be jumping all over the place to catch the ball personally.

Ergo, not McGrath