The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Salanya

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Salanya »

de_Selby wrote:I know the bored has a penchant for hyperbole but seriously, who else should be selected? With the injuries the team picked itself.

POM might not have been in great form lately but was excellent on Saturday. I'd prefer not to have him and VDF in the same back row, I don't think Deegan and VDF in the same back row would work well at intl level either though.

Murray vs Cooney isn't as clear cut as is being made out either - Murray hasn't been as bad and Cooney hasn't been as good as everyone says.

Aisde from that what other changes would people make?
POM was okay, but if that was your version of an excellent performance by an international 6, you might want to start increasing your expectations.
You say you don't think Deegan would work with VdF either; we haven't seen this yet, all we know is that Deegan has been more impressive this season than POM, so let's see how he performs in this backrow.
Murray isn't playing near his best, whereas Cooney is in great form. The gap between them isn't as big as hyperbole would have it, but Murray had his chance: not being 'as bad' as everyone says is not good enough, so Cooney has earned his chance, especially if there aren't many other changes.

This whole defence of players 'not being as bad as some say' as an argument to choose senior players ahead of (younger) in form players is getting silly. France, Wales and even England blood youngsters, and with good results. Why do we have to wait for seniors to keel over before considering alternatives?!
SASP

Post by SASP »

What was the injury Furlong had that he's magically recovered from?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

SASP wrote:What was the injury Furlong had that he's magically recovered from?
Cramps in both calves after playing 78 mins at TH.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Flametop wrote:So Lancaster in place by the AI’s or wait until 2021 Six Nations?
I’d prefer the AI’s.
Mark McCall will surely be available really soon.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Disappointing in some selections thus far, I'll wait until after the 6N and perhaps until after the summer tour before getting out the strop and spending the dark evenings sharpening my knives.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

hermie wrote:
Flametop wrote:So Lancaster in place by the AI’s or wait until 2021 Six Nations?
I’d prefer the AI’s.
Robshaw is free
Fritz Lung

Post by Fritz Lung »

EverReady wrote:Pretty happy with that team

Why are you so f**king happy with it!
If it was any more underwhelming it would bring about death by boredom to everyone
who is watching it this Saturday.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Fritz Lung wrote:

If it was any more underwhelming it would bring about death by boredom to everyone
ER is just standing in for Zappa I think!
Fritz Lung

Post by Fritz Lung »

Flametop wrote:Fair play to Ruddock, he seems to be taking the team announcement news pretty well.

Absolutely class.

:D
Despot

Post by Despot »

hermie wrote:
I’d prefer the AI’s.
Poor Andy Farrell. He wins and the knives are out. If he experiments and looses the bean counters who pay him will have the knives out. Who'd be a head coach.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

I am looking at that Irish midfield and I am reckoning I hung up my boots perhaps a fortnight too early.

Timing, eh? :((
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Despot wrote:
hermie wrote:
I’d prefer the AI’s.
Poor Andy Farrell. He wins and the knives are out. If he experiments and looses the bean counters who pay him will have the knives out. Who'd be a head coach.
He's been a well paid part of a team and part of the problem for a while now, Pivac bar His Scarlets lads would not know his players as well.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

lorcanoworms wrote:
Despot wrote:
hermie wrote:
I’d prefer the AI’s.
He's been a well paid part of a team and part of the problem for a while now, Pivac bar His Scarlets lads would not know his players as well.
Wasn't he brought in as an observer/assistant at the RWC?
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Yer Man wrote: Wasn't he brought in as an observer/assistant at the RWC?
Gatland was never afraid to pull the trigger on a player

Our hierarchy cant even find the gun
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Gatland tried a lot of young players. Some hit, some missed. He had some fallow 6N too.

Really think it's a bit stupid to be going after Farrell after one game. Chillax.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

What is really concerning is that Farrell is either ignoring or misreading the public mood. Last year was perhaps the most disastrous in Irish rugby for over twenty years. The gap between November 2018 and 2019 was genuinely shocking. And we have been here before, with Kidney doing the exact same as Joe and kept picking a raft of players clearly past it or out of form. When you currently have the best team in Europe (Leinster) and another clearly undergoing significant improvement (Ulster) and others near the top of the league (Munster), you should have 5-10 newish players knocking on the door. AND WE DO!! Part of me is thinking that getting a beating from Wales may now be the best thing. FFS. Joe blew it because he bottled selection, but at least he had earned the right as the greatest coach in Irish History to feck up on his own terms. Farrell needs to recognise that Irish supporters are in no mood for November 2018 and 2019 Mark II.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Who are these raft of players that are past it or out of form that he's picking?
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

Winnie wrote:

So Winnie, which of the Ulster players do you think should be cut from the Irish squad and who should replace them?
hermie

Post by hermie »

Despot wrote:
hermie wrote:
I’d prefer the AI’s.
Won the game because Hogg dropped the ball over the line. At home to a team we hammered only a few months ago while already in the midst of a bit of a slump. But let's be honest the knives were out long before a ball was kicked. Many felt that there that there was far too much continuity kept with a setup that was already failing. This selection, with the same old heads given the nod over in-form players, does nothing to dispel that notion. But really selection, while attention grabbing, is only a very small part of it. Hopefully we see a bit more in terms of progress this Saturday.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

CM11 wrote:Gatland tried a lot of young players. Some hit, some missed. He had some fallow 6N too.

Really think it's a bit stupid to be going after Farrell after one game. Chillax.
I think it's wrong to go after Farrell in his first Six Nations, and the talk of Lancaster taking over at this stage is just silly.

But I think it is fair to express concern or disappointment with the selections so far. The 2019 trend of sticking with the seniors and not rewarding form is continuing.

Just one token call would have satisfied me, for example Cooney ahead of Murray, or Deegan instead of POM.
We just need to see a hint of change. Perhaps the team will show this on the field this weekend, but last Saturday's performance hasn't induced much optimism.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Winnie wrote:

So Winnie, which of the Ulster players do you think should be cut from the Irish squad and who should replace them?
Stockdale . Put Daverage in.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Winnie wrote:

What a moronic post
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

iarmhiman wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Winnie wrote:

I would give Stockdale a kick up the arse and drop him
I would however bring Balacoune in thinking about the future rather than Daverage, thinking about the past
Liathroidigloine

Winnie wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Winnie wrote:

What a moronic post
Not a bit, an Ulster player would have to be certified dead before you'd want him replaced.

The players with the greatest reason to feel hard done by are Dave K, Ruddock and McCloskey. Other than that it's a question of starting a lad or having him on the bench.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Adetroy wrote:What is really concerning is that Farrell is either ignoring or misreading the public mood. Last year was perhaps the most disastrous in Irish rugby for over twenty years. The gap between November 2018 and 2019 was genuinely shocking. And we have been here before, with Kidney doing the exact same as Joe and kept picking a raft of players clearly past it or out of form. When you currently have the best team in Europe (Leinster) and another clearly undergoing significant improvement (Ulster) and others near the top of the league (Munster), you should have 5-10 newish players knocking on the door. AND WE DO!! Part of me is thinking that getting a beating from Wales may now be the best thing. FFS. Joe blew it because he bottled selection, but at least he had earned the right as the greatest coach in Irish History to feck up on his own terms. Farrell needs to recognise that Irish supporters are in no mood for November 2018 and 2019 Mark II.
Nail on the head. It’s just more of the same. Joe’s team.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
Winnie wrote:

I would give Stockdale a kick up the arse and drop him
I would however bring Balacoune in thinking about the future rather than Daverage, thinking about the past
I'd prefer we thought about the now. Get the now fixed, and we can then start to worry about the future.

POM had a good game last Saturday, but keeping him means Stander has to move to 8. When Deegan comes on, he will move to 8, with Stander to 6, and then we should get a good idea as to the betterbalance Stander at 6 brings.

I'm disappointed with Murray starting over Cooney, and hopefully, like Deegan, he'll get a good 30 -35 minutes to prove he's the better SH on Saturday.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Adetroy wrote:What is really concerning is that Farrell is either ignoring or misreading the public mood. Last year was perhaps the most disastrous in Irish rugby for over twenty years. The gap between November 2018 and 2019 was genuinely shocking. And we have been here before, with Kidney doing the exact same as Joe and kept picking a raft of players clearly past it or out of form. When you currently have the best team in Europe (Leinster) and another clearly undergoing significant improvement (Ulster) and others near the top of the league (Munster), you should have 5-10 newish players knocking on the door. AND WE DO!! Part of me is thinking that getting a beating from Wales may now be the best thing. FFS. Joe blew it because he bottled selection, but at least he had earned the right as the greatest coach in Irish History to feck up on his own terms. Farrell needs to recognise that Irish supporters are in no mood for November 2018 and 2019 Mark II.
Farrell's job is top pick the best players he think will fit his gameplan and win the game based on our perceived strengths and our oppositions perceived weaknesses- not select a populist team chosen on Facebook by mouth- breathers.
Last edited by feckwanker on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Fritz Lung wrote:

You must be new here
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

I’d prefer the AI’s.
Lancaster spoke before about the difference between being number 1 and number 2. He doesn’t want a head coach gig as far as I can tell. I think it would have to be a Leo and Lancaster coaching ticket. Leinster would suffer.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

feckwanker wrote:
Farrell's job is top pick the best players he think will fit his gameplan and win the game based on our perceived strengths and our oppositions perceived weaknesses- not select a populist team chosen on Facebook by mouth- breathers.
And how’s that working out champ? We scraped home against a shit team at home because Hogg dropped the ball over the line. Get real.
Last edited by Duff Paddy on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
I’d prefer the AI’s.
Lancaster spoke before about the difference between being number 1 and number 2. He doesn’t want a head coach gig as far as I can tell. I think it would have to be a Leo and Lancaster coaching ticket. Leinster would suffer.
So, what's new ?
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Not a bit, an Ulster player would have to be certified dead before you'd want him replaced.

The players with the greatest reason to feel hard done by are Dave K, Ruddock and McCloskey. Other than that it's a question of starting a lad or having him on the bench.
Do you ever get bored being wrong?

You must adore jumper being on here taking the pressure of you
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Quibbles over 12 but other than Cooney for Murray, what team would everyone have picked for Scotland? Kelleher?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:Quibbles over 12 but other than Cooney for Murray, what team would everyone have picked for Scotland? Kelleher?
As I said, Deegan at 8, Stander at 6 ?
Liathroidigloine

Winnie wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Good man Winnie so you aren't a one eyed Ulster supporter. That makes you and Boring.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Good man Winnie so you aren't a one eyed Ulster supporter. That makes you and Boring.
:?:
CM11

Post by CM11 »

camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:Quibbles over 12 but other than Cooney for Murray, what team would everyone have picked for Scotland? Kelleher?
For Scotland?
boringperson12

Post by boringperson12 »

Cooney and McCloskey would have started last week... My bench would have had Ruddock and Addison instead of POM and Henshaw. But in Joe... err I mean, in Andy we trust.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

CM11 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
For Scotland?
Ah, misunderstanding. Happy enough bar Murray with the team for Scotland - would probably just have had Murray and POM back with Munster.
FravBront

Post by FravBront »

Late declan kidney era vibes