The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Boxcar Ira

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by Boxcar Ira »

They're definitely much looser than they were under Gatland. They would just smother us in the past and devour our carriers. Much more passive in defence this weekend. Which was nice.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Thought Wales’ defence was too narrow and we outflanked them in many occasions.
I liked how we used Conway to kick after forcing Halfpenny up into the line to defend.

I really liked how Wales hit the line hard and looked for the offload / short forward pass to a player that they knew would be on their shoulder.
That’s getting harder to stop with the new tackle height laws.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Jiffy jnr

There's a world of difference between having notional depth and having a world class player in a particular position.
See Ireland's defensive organisation whenever BOD was injured...

For Conway's try, that #23 didn't really want to make the tackle.
Should have gone at Conway's legs as hard a possible.
Might have brought him down short of the line.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Flametop wrote:Thought Wales’ defence was too narrow and we outflanked them in many occasions.
I liked how we used Conway to kick after forcing Halfpenny up into the line to defend.

I really liked how Wales hit the line hard and looked for the offload / short forward pass to a player that they knew would be on their shoulder.
That’s getting harder to stop with the new tackle height laws.
Maybe we should be trying to develop that ourselves...

Aaaaghhhh!!!!!! That light, so bright.... I can't see :shock: :shock:
diarm

Post by diarm »

I thought Stander, Murray, Sexton, Conway and Larmour were all excellent. Stockdale and Herring impressed me too.

But I suspected it in the stadium and having watched it back, Van der Flier deserved motm for me. There's no point trying to play a wider game if your loose forwards aren't able to keep up with the play and secure ball when players have found the outside or made half breaks. His engine is incredible and he was fecking everywhere on Saturday.

Watch almost every time we got around the outside of them, or straightened and offloaded to break through them - have a look at who the first fella in over the ball was. It doesn't get the highlights reel of the big passes or the important steals but without that graft we wouldn't be talking about the win and performance we are today.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

diarm wrote:Herring impressed me too.
Go on, admit it.

You're just like me - when we have a 5m attacking lineout you're conditioned to check our defensive alignment to make sure we are ready for when we lose the throw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
diarm

Post by diarm »

Yer Man wrote:
diarm wrote:Herring impressed me too.
Go on, admit it.

You're just like me - when we have a 5m attacking lineout you're conditioned to check our defensive alignment to make sure we are ready for when we lose the throw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh I am yeah - but that's the fault of every hooker we've had for club and country since Flannery.

I was pretty scathing of Herring before the tournament but credit where it's due, he's stood up much better than I'd expected so far.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Belvo V Castleknock today in the cup. On premier sports from 3.
Belvo could be upset..
Players to watch:
Hawkshaw at 15 and Mccarrick at 10 for Belvo
Gibbons at 13 and Duggan at 9 for Knock
CM11

Post by CM11 »

irishrugbyua wrote:Belvo V Castleknock today in the cup. On premier sports from 3.
Belvo could be upset..
Players to watch:
Just started lashing. Won't be great conditions.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Snowmacgetton!!! hope you guys are ok.
Ah sheet, soon turned to sleet.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

CM11 wrote:
irishrugbyua wrote:Belvo V Castleknock today in the cup. On premier sports from 3.
Belvo could be upset..
Players to watch:
Just started lashing. Won't be great conditions.
Shame. Big one tomorrow in michaels zaga.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Lads, we talk about why Stockdale is booting every ball he gets his hands on?
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 37871.html

Last 16:

Down HS 12 - 51 Ballymena
RS Armagh 34 - 6 Campbell
Cambridge House 0 - 32 MCB
Coleraine 19 - 27 Sullivan Upper
RBAI 47 - 12 BRA
Ballyclare 17 - 17 Friends Lisburn
Bangor 6 - 36 Wallace
Grosvenor 0 - 40 Enniskillen

QF's

Ballymena vs RSA
MCB vs Sullivan
RBAI vs Friends/Ballyclare
Wallace vs Enniskillen
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Mullet 2 wrote:Lads, we talk about why Stockdale is booting every ball he gets his hands on?
No confidence.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Mullet 2 wrote:Lads, we talk about why Stockdale is booting every ball he gets his hands on?
You mean kicking badly?
Dunno.

When he was scoring tries for fun in 2018 he was chipping, chasing, collecting and scoring with ease.
Now he's carrying too far and being tackled out of the play just after he's kicked it.
Or kicking long.
Or making a lovely line-break and then not passing to the man outside.

He's getting better, a lot better than his Ulster form of the Autumn but by Christ he's still miles off his best.

Still, I'd keep this back three together, they need as much time as possible to gel - especially now that Larmour is bedding in as the counter-attacking fullback we'd hoped to see.
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

That's when he doesn't over run it. Twice on Saturday.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Floppykid wrote:
No confidence.
Yep he's not backing himself the way he was.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Yer Man wrote:Jiffy jnr

There's a world of difference between having notional depth and having a world class player in a particular position.

McNichol. Great player going forward, admittedly had a lot to do to stop Conway but probably should have done better. Williams for Larmour's try, however, was criminal. They'll miss Shaun Edwards every bit as much as Warren.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

hermie wrote:

McNichol. Great player going forward, admittedly had a lot to do to stop Conway but probably should have done better. Williams for Larmour's try, however, was criminal.
I'd prefer "comical".
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Boxcar Ira wrote:They're definitely much looser than they were under Gatland. They would just smother us in the past and devour our carriers. Much more passive in defence this weekend. Which was nice.
I noticed we are attacking a bit wider close to the line as well, for Furlongs try we would have previously just bashed a couple of feet either side of the ruck very slowly.
Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Belvo could be upset..
Players to watch:
I did a few coaching sessions in Castleknock as part of my coaching badge stuff

The 13,10,9 and 6 are good for Knock. The 3 is a big lad too

The 13 is very very good.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Liathroidigloine wrote:
That's when he doesn't over run it. Twice on Saturday.
Yep. It’s over eagerness, trying too hard to get mojo back.
Needs to relax and watch a few YouTube videos of himself.
(In attack)
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Banana Man wrote:
Belvo could be upset..
Players to watch:

I know a teacher there who is involved in the coaching and he also told me the 13 has huge potential. How come none of these games are on Eir Sport?
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Luckycharmer wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Belvo could be upset..
Players to watch:

I know a teacher there who is involved in the coaching and he also told me the 13 has huge potential. How come none of these games are on Eir Sport?
Have moved to premiersport now.

I think knock might do it.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

hermie wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
No confidence.
He made the most clean breaks and made the most metres, I don't think backing himself is the issue.

Things aren't clicking they way they have in the past for him but he's still doing well and is a massive threat to the opposition defence.
Last edited by earl the beaver on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

hermie wrote:

McNichol. Great player going forward, admittedly had a lot to do to stop Conway but probably should have done better. Williams for Larmour's try, however, was criminal. They'll miss Shaun Edwards every bit as much as Warren.
It was Tomkins who made a mess of tackling Larmour. Tried to hit with a soft arm, and Larmour just danced through. Once he'd broken that tackle, he was hard to stop before the line.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

sewa wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Armchair_Superstar wrote:I don't think you can criticise Murray for anything other than being caught carrying the wrong way into contact because he was looking for the offload.

They were obviously looking to put pressure on that channel and stack it with players to get quick ball. Then they've forwards going the same way, or out the back to Byrne, or they've the option to go back the other way with backs in space. You can see Byrne already bossing the forwards before Murray gets stripped.
Of course you can justify criticism of Murray. Stander also.
He had all day to notice that two of our most dangerous players were in an acre of space in the most dangerous position in the pitch. You won’t get a better opportunity to attack off first phase than that one. It was brain dead for Stander and him not to give a fast wide pass to the right immediately.
It showed a complete lack of tactical awareness and a lack of understanding of where our strengths lie.
This is the guy who is MOTM two weeks in a row you are talking about? Just checking like because its sounds like you are talking the usual biased provincial shit
How did Jake Ball and to the "manor born" Nick Tompkins go?
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Yer Man wrote:Thoughts on the Welsh?

They looked like the Scarlets of a couple of years ago

Fantastic when they've got the ball...
Can stretch the field and open up the defence when they've got the ball...
Ball-handling skills to exploit space & gaps when they've got the ball..
As good as anyone in Europe when they've got the ball...

But if their pack gets beaten up - they're dead in the water.

I really liked their link play, off-loads, clever stuff off first receiver.
Scary how easily they motored down the field and scored off their first real bit of possession.
And they played the second half with their 4th choice #10... that's like us playing with er, Billy Burns?
Their defense was a good bit softer than under Gatland/Edwards. Thought they gave up a lot of small metres that they'd never have given us last year.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

Knock lead 5-0 after their huge tighthead powered over.
irishrugbyua

Post by irishrugbyua »

irishrugbyua wrote:Knock lead 5-0 after their huge tighthead powered over.
And another.. 12-0
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

paddyor wrote:
sewa wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Armchair_Superstar wrote:I don't think you can criticise Murray for anything other than being caught carrying the wrong way into contact because he was looking for the offload.

They were obviously looking to put pressure on that channel and stack it with players to get quick ball. Then they've forwards going the same way, or out the back to Byrne, or they've the option to go back the other way with backs in space. You can see Byrne already bossing the forwards before Murray gets stripped.
He had all day to notice that two of our most dangerous players were in an acre of space in the most dangerous position in the pitch. You won’t get a better opportunity to attack off first phase than that one. It was brain dead for Stander and him not to give a fast wide pass to the right immediately.
It showed a complete lack of tactical awareness and a lack of understanding of where our strengths lie.
This is the guy who is MOTM two weeks in a row you are talking about? Just checking like because its sounds like you are talking the usual biased provincial shit
Problem for Tompkins, now that he's Welsh, is he's had to move out of the Manor and into a caravan parked outside Bridgend.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

paddyor wrote:
sewa wrote:
Flametop wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Flametop wrote:

You will get that set-up off every scrum in the centre of the park. If they go right straight away they've two players with a lto of space but the defenders are numbered up. They're also isolated and vulnerable to a turnover or an interception.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Jim Lahey wrote:
paddyor wrote:
sewa wrote:
Flametop wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

hermie wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
No confidence.
Sure he held onto one when he could've gone for the offload and copped flack for that.

The reality is he could play exactly the same for 99% of the game but get a try and everyone would say its a glorious return to form.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
hermie wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
No confidence.
Sure he held onto one when he could've gone for the offload and copped flack for that.

The reality is he could play exactly the same for 99% of the game but get a try and everyone would say its a glorious return to form.

That's the life of a winger man
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Ultan Dillane, David Heffernan (Connacht), Max Deegan, Dave Kearney, Ronan Kelleher, Luke McGrath, Will Connors (Leinster), Chris Farrell, Jack O’Donoghue (Munster), Billy Burns, Stuart McCloskey, Jack McGrath, Tom O’Toole (Ulster) have returned to their provinces.

IRELAND Squad 2 Day Cork Camp

Backs: (11)

Will Addison (Enniskillen/Ulster) 4 caps

Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 25 caps

Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 5 caps

Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 20 caps

John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 10 caps

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 83 caps

Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 42 caps

Jordan Larmour (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 23 caps

Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 80 caps

Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 90 caps

Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 27 caps

Forwards: (12)

Caelan Doris (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 1 cap

Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 43 caps

Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 97 caps

Iain Henderson (Academy/Ulster) 55 caps

Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 10 caps

Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 38 caps

Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 66 caps

Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 25 caps

James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 25 caps

CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 40 caps

Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 69 caps

Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 25 caps
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Jaysus.

Sending them to Cork for two days - but we won both games :shock:
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Flametop wrote:

You will get that set-up off every scrum in the centre of the park. If they go right straight away they've two players with a lto of space but the defenders are numbered up. They're also isolated and vulnerable to a turnover or an interception.
Ah here, I’m onto you, you’re on a serious wind up.
Fair play.

:lol: :thumbup:
DiscoHips D'Arcy

Post by DiscoHips D'Arcy »

Mullet 2 wrote:
hermie wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
No confidence.

That's the life of a winger man
Did one of his kicks not land us a 5m scrum? I thought the coverage of the back three in the backfield looked good which was part of the worry of missing balcony Bob.